Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

twoday posted:

https://youtu.be/E_6d3JBBo4s

Edit:hmm, doesn’t want to embed

Welsh Calvinball looks pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Slime posted:

You can also make your own coffee syrup pretty easy.
I make mine with Splenda. :downs:

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

twoday posted:

https://youtu.be/E_6d3JBBo4s

Edit:hmm, doesn’t want to embed

thought the video would be this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83oa1S0x9zI

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
That seems to be the same video with a different audio track

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol if you don't have your soldering callus yet

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Lol if you don't have your soldering callus yet

Lol if you didn't learn not to solder at an early age

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Coffee milk isn't coffee with milk, or iced coffee. It's sweet, coffee-flavored milk. Coffee syrup is essentially a sweetened coffee concentrate that you add to milk. The big rivalry used to be between Autocrat and Eclipse (Autocrat was and is the best), but Autocrat bought out Eclipse and makes them both now.

How is "not knowing what coffee milk is" still a thing with internet-savvy adults in TYOOL 2018? It has a Wikipedia article, for fucks sake.

E: Eclipse was apparently first, but Autocrat bought them in '91, but fans of coffee milk have always had a preference for one over the other.

I was looking for a Don Bousquet cartoon but the humor is so opaque if you're not from Rhode Island.

I've never heard of coffee milk and can't tell if it has caffeine.

When I studied in Japan in 2001, I had Milk Coffee every morning which was awesome. There were heated vending machines, so I could have it hot on days that I got soaked on the way to class (monsoon season).

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The switch from feet to kilos is always the hardest.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Measuring weight in feet seems kinda grim.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

That's how conservatives are born

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fahrenheit ins the superior temperature measuring system

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Hmm yes, you are probably right, but only if you meet the following criteria: are a colossal idiot.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
:science: Hey, Farenheit, making a thermometer, eh?

:downs: Yeah bro, I'ma use the freezing and boiling points of water to calibrate it!

:science: Sweet idea! So, what, like 100 units apart or something? With freezing at zero?

:downs: Nah man, 180 units, like the degrees in half a circle!

:science: Uh. . . okay. . . why half a circle though?

:downs: I dunno. And freezing's not zero, freezing's 32 degrees!

:what: what

:downs: Well I made a really cold mix of poo poo in my lab and it was 32 units below freezing so. . .

:eng99:

*fast forward 300 years*

Guy Goodbody posted:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Celsius has smaller numbers and is therefore stupid and wrong. This is also why the Dow Jones is the superior index vs the S&P 500.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fahrenheit is superior for figuring out the temperature outdoors.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

:science: Hey, Farenheit, making a thermometer, eh?

:downs: Yeah bro, I'ma use the freezing and boiling points of water to calibrate it!

:science: Sweet idea! So, what, like 100 units apart or something? With freezing at zero?

:downs: Nah man, 180 units, like the degrees in half a circle!

:science: Uh. . . okay. . . why half a circle though?

:downs: I dunno. And freezing's not zero, freezing's 32 degrees!

:what: what

:downs: Well I made a really cold mix of poo poo in my lab and it was 32 units below freezing so. . .

:eng99:

*fast forward 300 years*

This except it's even dumber, he based the 0 point on the coldest temperature measured over a winter in his home town, and only like 2 years later did he consider maybe making it repeatable for calibrating things so by chance managed to find a stupid brine mixture that freezes at exactly the temperature he original measured.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Guy Goodbody posted:

Anime is good

Guy Goodbody, probably posted:

Attack of the Clones is the best star wars movie

twoday
May 4, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Just what I needed to finish my Guy Goodbody PYF funny pictures thread posts alignment chart

twoday has a new favorite as of 23:57 on May 6, 2018

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
*checks list*

-bad food
-bad teeth
-bad religion
-bad measurement units

Is there anything the Anglo culture got right besides pop music and colonization?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

chitoryu12 posted:

Fahrenheit is superior for figuring out the temperature outdoors.
It's basically percentage of hot.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drone_Fragger posted:

Hmm yes, you are probably right, but only if you meet the following criteria: are a colossal idiot.

In Fahrenheit, 0 to 100 is the range of temperatures that most people will experience regularly. Because it's more granular, it allows for more precision in weather, medicine, and cooking, the primary uses of knowing what the temperature is

In Celsius, what, like -15 to 40 is the range most people experience? And it's less granular, so it's less precise. but you think all of that is outweighed by the fact that it's slightly easier to remember the freezing and boiling point of water?

Bitch, I know a fuckin easy way to tell if water is frozen or boiling; look at it! What kind of life you live where you need to know if your water is frozen, so you bust out a thermometer? "Oh poo poo, I measured the temperature of the water but I can't remember if it freezes at 33 or 32, so there's no way for me to tell if it's frozen! If only there was a better way!"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Strudel Man posted:

It's basically percentage of hot.

Exactly!

100+: Feels like the air itself is attempting to cook you to death.

90s: Spend the entire day in front of a fan in shorts.

80s: You can actually walk around outside in shorts or light pants without feeling like you're going to pass out.

70s: The platonic ideal of outdoor temperature.

60s: Wear a sweater or light jacket.

50s: Wear a heavier jacket, maybe bring some gloves or a scarf in case the wind picks up.

40s: Wear gloves and a scarf whether or not it's windy. Possibility of sleet.

30s: Definitely winter. Possible snow. It starts hurting when the wind picks up.

20s: Only spend as little time as possible outside.

10s: Your dick would freeze off if it wasn't for your pants.

0 and below: Your dick will freeze off regardless of pants.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drone_Fragger posted:

This except it's even dumber, he based the 0 point on the coldest temperature measured over a winter in his home town, and only like 2 years later did he consider maybe making it repeatable for calibrating things so by chance managed to find a stupid brine mixture that freezes at exactly the temperature he original measured.

This is what I mean, all the arguments in favor of Celsius and against Fahrenheit are based on absurd arguments about the logical nature of their creation. But if you think about how they're actually used for a minute, it becomes obvious that Fahrenheit is better.

All y'all thinking Celsius is better because you're European and you grew up using it, or because you know that Metric is better than Imperial so you assume the same must be true for the temperature scales. But it's not! Expand your mind! set aside your preconceptions and you will inevitably agree with me as you always should.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

In Celsius, what, like -15 to 40 is the range most people experience? And it's less granular, so it's less precise. but you think all of that is outweighed by the fact that it's slightly easier to remember the freezing and boiling point of water?

Yeah but Celsius users say poo poo like “it must be 2 degrees outside, take a scarf” and Fahrenheit people say poo poo like “so warm out, it must be in the upper 80’s”

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Guy Goodbody posted:

In Fahrenheit, 0 to 100 is the range of temperatures that most people will experience regularly. Because it's more granular, it allows for more precision in weather, medicine, and cooking, the primary uses of knowing what the temperature is

Bitch, I know a fuckin easy way to tell if water is frozen or boiling; look at it! What kind of life you live where you need to know if your water is frozen, so you bust out a thermometer? "Oh poo poo, I measured the temperature of the water but I can't remember if it freezes at 33 or 32 so there's no way for me to tell if it's frozen! If only there was a better way!"

What you are saying is 55 Celsius degrees isn't granular enough to know how to dress, and 250 degrees Celsius isn't granular enough for cooking.

Maybe you are autistic?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

°D or go home.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

okay but which one will tell me if it is a dry heat

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

What you are saying is 55 Celsius degrees isn't granular enough to know how to dress, and 250 degrees Celsius isn't granular enough for cooking.

Oh sure, it works OK. I never said Celsius doesn't work. But it's not better than Fahrenheit. If you guys wanna say that you like Celsius, because you grew up with it, or because you're just a massive fan of phase changes of water, then go ahead. But if you want to say that it's better than Fahrenheit, then you gotta back that up with something.

"Celsius: it works well enough"

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Guy Goodbody posted:

Oh sure, it works OK. I never said Celsius doesn't work. But it's not better than Fahrenheit. If you guys wanna say that you like Celsius, because you grew up with it, or because you're just a massive fan of phase changes of water, then go ahead. But if you want to say that it's better than Fahrenheit, then you gotta back that up with something.

"Celsius: it works well enough"

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Something awful is just mile after mile of the stupidest hills to die on.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

You know that Celsius and Farenheit are both infinitely divisible, right? There's no special "granularity" advantage that Farenheit has. Non-whole numbers exist!

And when you say "farenheit numbers can be used to tell the weather" well so can celsius, genius:

40 degrees or higher: I want to die
35 degrees: hot as balls
30 degrees: kinda hot
25 degrees: warm
20 degrees: good
15 degrees: a bit chilly
10 degrees: cold
5 degrees: quite cold
0 degrees: freezing cold
-5 degrees or lower: why do I live in this winter hellscape

And to address your last argument, that you accuse us of liking it from growing up with it, well, I'm American and have always used Farenheit. gently caress you and gently caress my stupid home country's stupid loving measurement system.

So you all have presented essentially no good argument in favor of Farenheit, whereas you acknowledge Celsius' advantage in knowing temperatures relative to the freezing and boiling of water.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

I feel like your temperature is extremely boring and yet :munch:

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Someone splice the Fahrenheit chart at the end of one of those "purposely screwing up aesthetics" gifs.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7x-RGfd0Yk

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Bitch, I know a fuckin easy way to tell if water is frozen or boiling; look at it! What kind of life you live where you need to know if your water is frozen, so you bust out a thermometer? "Oh poo poo, I measured the temperature of the water but I can't remember if it freezes at 33 or 32, so there's no way for me to tell if it's frozen! If only there was a better way!"

Are you a time traveller from the 1850s, we have a thing called "the decimal point" now my dude. Granularity and precision arguments are a moot point in the face of such a terrifying point.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

When I was in Greece the climate control didn't have decimal points and it was always either too hot or too cold, therefore I agree with Guy Goodbody that Fahrenheit is the superior system of measurement for everyday use. Thanks for reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'd love using Celsius to tell weather temperature if they did use decimal points.

I'd also love to see a virgin Celsius vs. Chad Fahrenheit.