Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

So, there watching Cohh and then a streamer that used a preset world state, it appears there may be some bugs with importing saves. Is this a known issue, rope kid?

First thing I noticed is, as I mentioned before, that Eder joined the Night Market instead of becoming mayor of Dyrford in Cohh's game. And then (reactivity spoiler for Deadfire) a streamer had the orlan child on her ship while using a preset world state, but Cohh did not. Even though he imported a save where he kept the baby while leaving Sun-in-Shadow.

Hmm. I think I'm going to start out with the run I was considering using presets and hold off on continuing the file I just finished.

Dairy Power fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Why don't wizards get quick switch/deep pockets? There's no way to make a bookworm nerd wizard specialized in juggling a massive stack of spellbooks without multiclassing, and even with multiclassing you can only get one or the other. Since quick switch is a fighter exclusive and deep pockets is a rogue exclusive.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Black jacket itself didn’t get a very high evaluation on the official boards, at least last time I checked, though dumping a bunch of pistol shots into enemies to max focus might go well with an ascendant.

Devoted seems like it would go great with just about anything, as long as you choose one of the dual damage type weapons. Some kind of cipher/devoted should work out really well, especially if you take the melee cipher subclass and cherry pick a few powers while primarily focusing on dealing as much melee damage as possible.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm really curious how Maia reacts if you sacrificed Kana to the blood pool.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

rope kid posted:

I like medium armor on monks, usually.

I used robes in PoE1, which worked pretty well for a flanker on normal outside of situations like Cragholdt Bluffs where all the gun users would just go at him at once.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Oo Koo posted:

Why don't wizards get quick switch/deep pockets? There's no way to make a bookworm nerd wizard specialized in juggling a massive stack of spellbooks without multiclassing, and even with multiclassing you can only get one or the other. Since quick switch is a fighter exclusive and deep pockets is a rogue exclusive.

No deep pockets, but grimoire switching has a very very very short cool down, just enough to make a single weapon attack before you go back to casting spells basically. I don't think quick switch affects grimoires anyway.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Do you choose your subclass at character creation or at some later level?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Creation. They're kits, not PRCs

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Octo1 posted:

No deep pockets, but grimoire switching has a very very very short cool down, just enough to make a single weapon attack before you go back to casting spells basically. I don't think quick switch affects grimoires anyway.

and you know everything in that utility belt either explodes or gets you real fuckin' high

not much for switching grimoires... probably for the same reason I don't think black jackets are fun... but a wizard chucking around lots of toxic waste and arcane grenades rules.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

So, there watching Cohh and then a streamer that used a preset world state, it appears there may be some bugs with importing saves. Is this a known issue, rope kid?

First thing I noticed is, as I mentioned before, that Eder joined the Night Market instead of becoming mayor of Dyrford in Cohh's game. And then (reactivity spoiler for Deadfire) a streamer had the orlan child on her ship while using a preset world state, but Cohh did not. Even though he imported a save where he kept the baby while leaving Sun-in-Shadow.

Alright this does concern me a teensy bit :v:

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
It looks like Monk may be better as a single-class, but an expert alchemist that gets high on their own supply & beats the snot out of monsters sounds cool :v:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Dairy Power posted:

Hmm. I think I'm going to start out with the run I was considering using presets and hold off on continuing the file I just finished.

Yeah if there are bugs no way I'm doing my main save at the start, gonna try a "customize your decisions" run first

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

ropekid just said on Cohh's stream that he and Justin Bell are among the singers in the shanties :swoon:

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

SoldadoDeTone posted:

Has anyone tried a Soul Blade/Devoted? I'm toying with trying it as my first character. Note: I play on Hard, not PoTD because I'm a giant baby who hates losing.

Yep, it's a fantastic combo. Regardless of weapon (I ran with Greatswords), the Fighter actives/passives mean you reliably generate huge amounts of focus. It's really flexible stats-wise, too- you can safely go down to 8 constitution, for example, and still be very survivable thanks to Constant Recovery.

Soul Annihilation is also very, very fun.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Can someone explain something to me?

Here is a L5 Wizard spell:

Here is a L9 Cipher spell:

What am I missing here?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Has anyone noticed the extent of the extra dialogue you get from an imported save vs one you set up in PoE2? If it's basically nothing, I'm tempted to take that route to avoid these potential bugs.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Wizards are god's own class and nothing is allowed to be better. (a whole bunch of abilities feel like they need some balancing done)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GrandpaPants posted:

Can someone explain something to me?

Here is a L5 Wizard spell:

Here is a L9 Cipher spell:

What am I missing here?

The cipher's version has a second shorter recovery time. Also it is single-target-only, so you don't have to worry about accidentally debuffing more than one enemy.

Real answer: they probably didn't have time to fully tune the endgame abilities. With ciphers the level 8 powers seem to be the real draw, more than the level 9's.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Is there really a point to have ability durations arbitrarily differ in 2 second increments? That's a lot more mental busywork than going short/medium/long.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The cipher's version has a second shorter recovery time. Also it is single-target-only, so you don't have to worry about accidentally debuffing more than one enemy.

Real answer: they probably didn't have time to fully tune the endgame abilities. With ciphers the level 8 powers seem to be the real draw, more than the level 9's.

While the cipher ability here definitely seems too weak, I'd expect cipher abilities to be weaker than wizard abilities on average. Focus is replenishable during combat, and ciphers have a fair amount of their power budget tied up in the soul whip's damage boost.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Berath's Blessing stuff, stuff like start with 5k/50k money, start at level 4 etc.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I thought they were supposed to add some challenges via Berath's Blessings too, but from that look, it all seems to be positive stuff.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I thought they were supposed to add some challenges via Berath's Blessings too, but from that look, it all seems to be positive stuff.

I actually asked ropekid during that high level play Q+A session if he was planning on doing something like his New Vegas mod for Deadfire. He said no, but that they were planning on adding in challenge modes similar to triple crown and such post release. So they may just not be in yet.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dairy Power posted:

While the cipher ability here definitely seems too weak, I'd expect cipher abilities to be weaker than wizard abilities on average. Focus is replenishable during combat, and ciphers have a fair amount of their power budget tied up in the soul whip's damage boost.

FOcus being replenishable isn't nearly as much of an issue now that wizards cast per-encounter not per-rest, and more casts are available with empowers; functionally, the focus mechanic actually penalizes ciphers now, because a Wizard can open the combat with their most powerful ability while the cipher has to work up to it.

The damage boost is more a thing for multiclass than for single class, and that's a level 9 ability, so multi-class won't have access to it. It might make sense as a Foe AoE but as a single target ability the only utility it has is that by not picking it you can choose some other more useful passive.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Wonder what happens when you give the horny sword to the horny priest/monk

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Going by a developer stream challenges like the old Tripple Crown Solo are not in the achievements and not implemented yet because they want to get a better handle on balance and whats reasonable first. And it does not seem very import to have day 1.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Tzarnal posted:

Going by a developer stream challenges like the old Tripple Crown Solo are not in the achievements and not implemented yet because they want to get a better handle on balance and whats reasonable first. And it does not seem very import to have day 1.

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense. Not a huge deal either way, to be honest.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

If a subclass involves an intrinsic affliction, can it be resisted with sufficient stats? For example, can the berserker's Frenzy confusion be nullified with sufficient Will?

Also, regarding Soul Blade: is it terribly worthwhile to invest in Cipher spells when your goal seems to really be to max focus ASAP to pop enemies with Soul Annihilation?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Not with Will, but anything that gives resistance to Int afflictions will do it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I’m pretty sure there was some fighter / barbarian combo that abrogated rage drawbacks somehow

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

CottonWolf posted:

Not with Will, but anything that gives resistance to Int afflictions will do it.

My mistake on will, but thanks for the response. That makes Fanatic a more appealing multiclass option for me.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

FOcus being replenishable isn't nearly as much of an issue now that wizards cast per-encounter not per-rest, and more casts are available with empowers; functionally, the focus mechanic actually penalizes ciphers now, because a Wizard can open the combat with their most powerful ability while the cipher has to work up to it.

The damage boost is more a thing for multiclass than for single class, and that's a level 9 ability, so multi-class won't have access to it. It might make sense as a Foe AoE but as a single target ability the only utility it has is that by not picking it you can choose some other more useful passive.

As far as I can tell, you get two casts at a power level for fight for formerly Vancian casters. In a longer fight, a Cipher could very well pop off more than 2 level 9 abilities. If you drop a Time Parasite or Reaping Knives, you will probably be able to chain cast whatever you want. It worked that way in PoE 1 in my experience. From watching the high level sneak peak, Ydwin was starting fights with 60 focus. That's a pretty decent place to open from still, though Wizards will definitely have more of an impact on a fight's opening moments. Of course, empowering will somewhat mitigate the advantages of focus being replenishable, too.

As far as the damage boost goes, I was referring to the fact that a Cipher can passively do 30% more damage with weapons once they pick up biting whip. They can also grab a talent for a flat +1 penetration with all weapons. Cipher auto attacks will be quite valuable with no resource usage, whereas wizards will have to spend.

My point is that Ciphers provide more consistent value throughout longer fights, so I wouldn't expect a level 9 cipher spell to quite match up to a level 9 wizard/cleric spell. The example he posted was definitely far too extreme, of course. Especially since it was compared to a level 5 ability.

Dairy Power fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 6, 2018

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I just realized they should add a "Pause Game" action in the IA system. For instance it could be used to pause the game as soon as your cipher gets the Ascendant buff, etc.

It would give more granularity to the pausing system. I never liked the "Pause after long cast" because they threw way too many things in there. We'll need this especially when PotD is be buffed up.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I wonder if it's possible to just mod the potions to make them replenishable.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

I’m pretty sure there was some fighter / barbarian combo that abrogated rage drawbacks somehow
One of the upgrades for disciplined barrage gives you an intellect buff, canceling the confusion.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Btw for those not watching the stream, some of the Berath’s Blessing offerings include starting the game at level 4, doubling your level up skill point allotment, and unlocking a merchant carrying low-cost high-power equipment, and super speed sailing. Starting with lots of extra cash or at a higher level takes 3x-5x as many Berath Bucks as some of the others.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Basic Chunnel posted:

Btw for those not watching the stream, some of the Berath’s Blessing offerings include starting the game at level 4, doubling your level up skill point allotment, and unlocking a merchant carrying low-cost high-power equipment, and super speed sailing. Starting with lots of extra cash or at a higher level takes 3x-5x as many Berath Bucks as some of the others.

How do you earn Berath bucks? Just beating the game?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Zore posted:

How do you earn Berath bucks? Just beating the game?

You get them from achievements

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Daztek posted:

You get them from achievements

It's like the Mass Effect 1 system from back in the day. Though less extensive by the looks of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah Cohhh has been playing for what 16-20 hours? And has at this point enough Berath Buxx to start a game with a few of the lower level bonuses or just one of the big ones.