Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I wonder if like Harold Bloom ever looks at Peterson’s grift and laments that he didn’t think of it first. Although it’s possible that he doesn’t own a computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

His take on Frozen is a few steps up from Stephen Molyneux's.

idk kevin swansons was the worst take i saw on frozen.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/swanson-disneys-frozen-is-a-satanic-push-to-turn-kids-gay/

i forget what molyneux was. i assume something about cultural marxism or some insane poo poo like that, i know petersons was like that but even dumber.

Tired Moritz posted:

I still think of the book of henry a lot.

whats the book of Henry?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a comically weird and bad film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMb7-6eg4Zo

it may have cost its director the star wars ix job.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Falstaff posted:

Jordan Peterson does story analysis? But he's not that kind of humanities professor - he's a clinical psychologist.

Of course, he's also not a philosophy professor, but he's never let that stopped him from calling his ideas "philosophy", so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that he'd delve into other areas for which he's ill-equipped.

Yea that's the grift. He gets to say 'I'm in humanities' which is not a lie but because we straight don't teach humanities worth a drat in America his crowd assumes that means he's a master of all humanities topics. So when HE says we need to destroy the gender/racial studies and purge the arts of anyone who disagrees that the humble lobster is to be our totem it's actually good because he's ONE OF THEM.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats the book of Henry?
My memory is a bit fuzzy but:

A movie that seems to be one of those quirk kids movies but is instead insane. A kinda ditzy mom has a super brain genius son who basically runs their household (like in a good way, he's nice and does their finances and helps his mom. ...the mom is really portrayed as being really not on the ball). He gets sick, kinda realizes he's gonna die, then writes up a book of stuff for his mom to do, then dies.

This includes an elaborate murder plan for her to kill the abusive stepfather of a girl he likes because he's pretty much 100% sure he's molesting/beating her.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Yea that's the grift. He gets to say 'I'm in humanities' which is not a lie but because we straight don't teach humanities worth a drat in America his crowd assumes that means he's a master of all humanities topics. So when HE says we need to destroy the gender/racial studies and purge the arts of anyone who disagrees that the humble lobster is to be our totem it's actually good because he's ONE OF THEM.

he relies on people not being knowledgble in the fields he talks about it and then he just uses words and says logic a bunch. like i dont know poo poo about animal psychology/biology. so i could theoretically buy into his bullshit about lobsters. I do however know about the holocaust and history academic field. so whenever he tries to be a historian, he fucks up grandly and it shows he doesn't know how to approach poo poo.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fabricated posted:

My memory is a bit fuzzy but:

A movie that seems to be one of those quirk kids movies but is instead insane. A kinda ditzy mom has a super brain genius son who basically runs their household (like in a good way, he's nice and does their finances and helps his mom. ...the mom is really portrayed as being really not on the ball). He gets sick, kinda realizes he's gonna die, then writes up a book of stuff for his mom to do, then dies.

This includes an elaborate murder plan for her to kill the abusive stepfather of a girl he likes because he's pretty much 100% sure he's molesting/beating her.

It's way worse than that, I'm gonna re-post Dan's run-through of the film from earlier on the page so that no one misses the jump down the rabbit-hole that is this movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMb7-6eg4Zo

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

It's way worse than that, I'm gonna re-post Dan's run-through of the film from earlier on the page so that no one misses the jump down the rabbit-hole that is this movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMb7-6eg4Zo

sounds terrible. that being said. the movie that got me legit ANGRY and sorta offended(i am extremely hard to offend) at was Me before You, gently caress that ablest poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i was gonna say wonder if the movie has the balls to have him end his life but lol that is actually how the movie ends.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

God the lobster thing pisses me off so much.

I just want to shake him and scream "HUMANS AREN'T LOBSTERS" over and over and over. This appeal to the natural world is so loving dumb.

Lobsters don't use toilets either, JP, should we just start making GBS threads wherever again?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WampaLord posted:

God the lobster thing pisses me off so much.

I just want to shake him and scream "HUMANS AREN'T LOBSTERS" over and over and over. This appeal to the natural world is so loving dumb.

Lobsters don't use toilets either, JP, should we just start making GBS threads wherever again?

They're not far off

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

WampaLord posted:

This appeal to the natural world is so loving dumb.

Any time someone starts getting on some "IN NATURE" poo poo I want to pull out the miles long list of things they'd better swear off and remove from their life immediately BECAUSE IN NATURE.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

*sloughs off exoskeleton on my birthday* what're y'all talking about?

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Thanks to Dan's Book of Henry video I can't hear the name Janice without immediately preceding it with "God drat It."

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I suppose there's a message somewhere in there about how being born smart or talented doesn't automatically make you an authority figure?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The best thing about The Book of Henry was how amazeballs quickly Kathleen Kennedy fired Colin Tereverrow from directing Star Wars Episode IX over it once it dropped in theatres and everyone saw just how hosed up it was.

E: That and Goddamit Janice, of course.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 5, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Thanks to Dan's Book of Henry video I can't hear the name Janice without immediately preceding it with "God drat It."

i watched the review and i legit laughed at that because its just so weird, because that kid would be dragged to in school therapy and put in the differently abled social club so loving fast it would make his head spin for acting like that. i know it happens to me for dumber and less. i was the smart but socialy akward kid and i said dumb poo poo too.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 5, 2018

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

DoubleCakes posted:

SuperButterBuns has a new video on the Kingdom Hearts series and I don't know if I'd recommend anyone to take Buns' advice but at the same time it's rather sensible. Anyone who makes a guide on how to get into a large and convoluted series like KH has to be a good soul. These kind of videos are so good for people although I can't think of many series like KH where playing just about every game is part of the gameplan to prepare for KH3.

I only got a bit through KH1 and decided to play KH2; the opening chunk not only got me up to speed but according to people who played 1 all the way through made the story much better by cutting all the cruft off of it and sticking to the emotional beats.

business hammocks posted:

He has a lot in common with the self-help industry and even cult leaders in that regard, where the point seems to be to keep talking for hours using indirect language that forces people to work harder than they have to in figuring out what he's saying, lulling them into a kind of trance. He's dangerous because he's a reactionary and attracts the nazi teens and 30-somethings.

I go with the simpler answer of pop academia being full of "I'm an expert on subject X; let me prove it with complicated stuff I know simply explained. Now let me explain subject Y which I have no background in, but LOOK HOW SMART I AM WITH SUBJECT X". I remember a prof making mad bank in funding by babbling computer science at psyc profs and psyc at computer science profs; if you knew both his theories had all been thrown out the window in the 1960's and 1970's but it sounds so cool and intuitive and deep. He was very briefly my supervisor and as soon as I realized what he was pulling I was NOPE and bailed for someone real.

AllmyFrench78
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i thought they were dead. dont they have like Brad and that british dude left.

Yes, they do. And apparently, the recent nostalgia critic episode has no negative comments on the video. Plus, channel awesome retweeted this: https://twitter.com/WickedSuitProd/status/991416533195902976. So, it is possible that the controversy is over and that they are slowly going to change the website.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

AllmyFrench78 posted:

Yes, they do. And apparently, the recent nostalgia critic episode has no negative comments on the video. Plus, channel awesome retweeted this: https://twitter.com/WickedSuitProd/status/991416533195902976. So, it is possible that the controversy is over and that they are slowly going to change the website.

that or they are just culling negative comments. people do that and i am sure they could get an intern to do it.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

AllmyFrench78 posted:

That is 100% because Michaud, who has been known to specifically retain negative comments just to make a point to various producers, is eliminating the negative ones now to appear squeaky clean.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Was Hbomb's latest video a reference to something or did he just lose his goddamn mind?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arcsquad12 posted:

Was Hbomb's latest video a reference to something or did he just lose his goddamn mind?

I thought the lack of hinge was part of the ongoing charm.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Arcsquad12 posted:

He lost his mind.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

So can someone explain to me how the four part structure of the video mirrors Loss? I know it has to be built in SOMEhow but I haven't figured it out yet.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

quote:

Again, I disagree. A miscarriage is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for couples to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it’s often much harder on the woman than on the man. However, I also know that it doesn’t necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and heal.

that has nothing to do with anything, I just wanted to post that.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

http://oswreview.com/media/oswreview71/

Two of our favourite Irishmen and Maffew 7 hour Wrestlemania.

Yes, 7 hours, it was as much a slog as you would expect

EDIT: The story of Alberto El Patron in TNA is highly amusing since

a) he initially came in and was getting a big push
b) this push was derailed and he was suspended after being involved in a domestic dispute with his then girlfriend Paige
c) he shows up to Bound for Glory coked up to his eyeballs
d) he cuts an incredibly awkward interview where essentially he goes full Tommy Wiseau before confronting one of the announcers and demanding to know why he didn't stick up for him or call which may or may not be kayfabe because the guy is really high, sniffing and twitching.
e) he eventually gets a main event program where he eats a steak menacingly at the world champ who eats a banana
f) TNA runs a crosspromotional event on twitch with Lucha Underground where he is in the main event and has a pretaped segment setting up their upcoming PPV
g) he noshows the main event but claims that he had a family emergency
h) his family emergency involved snorting coke and photobombing interviews with other wrestlers at other events in New Orleans
i) TNA fires him and nothing of value is lost

Testekill fucked around with this message at 11:41 on May 6, 2018

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Why Did I Love 007 Nightfire? l Raycevick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE2K2fDcTK4

Never heard of this game.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Linkara's doing his 500th episode celebration livestream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9pLG0Y4q9o

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MariusLecter posted:

Why Did I Love 007 Nightfire? l Raycevick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE2K2fDcTK4

Never heard of this game.

NIghtfire is basically GoldenEye for the Gamecube. It was super fun, though my favourite Bond Game is still Everything Or Nothing.

Holy hell that Gearbox port looks awful.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Holy hell that Gearbox port looks awful.

Why. Not why is it awful, but why is gearbox in charge of it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Leal posted:

Why. Not why is it awful, but why is gearbox in charge of it.

This was 2002, mind you. Gearbox usually did expansion packs and ports during this time, and they had a good track record with Opposing Force under their belt, so it's understandable that they'd be the ones to port the game to PC. But using GoldSrc as your engine in 2002 just smacks of laziness.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

opfor is the only good thing they did.

and id buy new games made with goldsrc today.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I love the first two Borderlands games because they have a ton of effort put into them, but then there are absolutely baffling balance issues in the games that never got fixed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hope Randy gets thrown out to the streets. He’s such a gently caress.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

randy pitchford has an undying attachment to a game he playtested nearly 30 years ago and he will sink his company in pursuit of making it relevant again

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Alaois posted:

randy pitchford has an undying attachment to a game he playtested nearly 30 years ago and he will sink his company in pursuit of making it relevant again

what's this now?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dabir posted:

what's this now?

Duke Nukem 3D

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Most of my issues with Gearbox stem from Randy being a total prick. When they have a passion for their project, the results are excellent. Hell's Highway, the Borderlands games, and Homeworld Remastered all have a great amount of effort put into them. And the hardcore guys who worked on Homeworld Remastered even went back to strongarm the Homeworld 2 engine into approximating the formations system of HW1 as best as they could. That's going above and beyond what you'd expect for a quick remaster job.

But it is hard to look at the good bits of the company when the head of the place is a complete jackass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Dabir posted:

what's this now?

2 days off before the 1 year anniversary of Kim Justice's vid doc on Duke Nuken Forever.

Other "Randy Pitchford loves Duke Nukem and Borderlands too much" escapades:
The Sega vs Gearbox lawsuit over Aliens Colonial Marines
A duke nukem 3D remake cancled because it would make DNF look bad imedatily instead of the "oh god I went through the game" slowburn. The team involved in the remake later made the Rise of the Triad remake and Bombshell.
Rereleasing Bulletstorm with a Duke Nukem DLC that is literally a model swap and voice lines with the DNF Duke model.
Spite remark: Murdering Brothers in Arms by turning it into the prototype of Borderlands even if said prototype was cancled.