Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

HerStuddMuffin posted:

My favorite one is people misusing osmosis when they meant to abuse symbiosis instead. I can’t help picturing them exchanging solvent with their best friend through a semi-permeable membrane to balance the molarity of their solutes. :pervert:

If you can think of a simpler way I'd like to hear it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

HerStuddMuffin posted:

My favorite one is people misusing osmosis when they meant to abuse symbiosis instead. I can’t help picturing them exchanging solvent with their best friend through a semi-permeable membrane to balance the molarity of their solutes. :pervert:
I wonder if that's relating to "diffusing" problems.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I osmosed a lot of knowledge from SA into my brain over the years.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HerStuddMuffin posted:

I like it when people say “symbiotic” as if it’s a good thing.

They’re probably thinking of mutualism, where both parties benefit, but parasites and their hosts are also in symbiotic relationships.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Population of Cambodia over 40 years, plotted so that one of the most vicious and evil genocides of the 20th century just looks like a silly little nothing.

Here is the population of Bulgaria. No genocides as far as I'm aware.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
I wanted to ask what was going on with that recent linear increase in population in Cambodia. Now I know, they’re being invaded by Bulgarians.:v:

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Phlegmish posted:

eh, there was a surprisingly recent attempted one, maybe more of a cleansing than genocide

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/amp/turkish-exodus-in-1989-was-ethnic-purge-bulgarian-archives-29853

i fetched the first article from Google but if you're interested search for Bulgarian Turks 1989

e: some more info here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhacir#Bulgaria

SaltyJesus has a new favorite as of 14:29 on May 6, 2018

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Phlegmish posted:

Wow, they gained almost an entire Bulgarian between 1962 and 1985.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
PYF awful/funny graph maybe more of a cleansing than genocide

Phlegmish posted:

That's just collapse_of_the_warsaw_pact.jpg, isn't it?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/alexbremin/status/993137040802926592

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
What is going on with that y-axis

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

lol, looks like a bad crop job

https://twitter.com/alexbremin/status/993171555088773120

Well, that explains why the numbers were jumping around so much. Still doesn't really explain the scale.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

It's just 21 divided into 8 increments.

E:Projecting to 2033 based on two datapoints tho :randno:

Jaguars! has a new favorite as of 21:57 on May 6, 2018

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Garrand posted:

Well, that explains why the numbers were jumping around so much. Still doesn't really explain the scale.

It's bitcoins, just thank your lucky stars it didn't use a log scale for no reason. Accidentally using modulo-10-million arithmetic is pretty low on the list of bitcoiner data visualization sins.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Jaguars! posted:

It's just 21 divided into 8 increments.

E:Projecting to 2033 based on two datapoints tho :randno:
It's not really based on data points. It's built into Bitcoin that the rate of minting new bitcoins halves every four years and the total asymptotically approaches 21 million, so these are the values it must have at any point give or take a few minutes.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Yeah the graph is mostly accurate, it's just Bitcoin that's stupid.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Garrand posted:

lol, just lol, if your money supply doesn’t approach an asymptote

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Platystemon posted:

lol, just lol, if your money supply doesn’t approach an asymptote

Why would you want a money supply the grows with the economy, you idiot, you loving moron?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

It actually a good bit lower than that, since anytime someone loses there private key those bitcoins are essentially gone forever.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

It's trying to convince people to buy in now and drive prices up, because there will be nowehere near enough to go around in the very near future.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bitcoins aren't worth anything unless there's suckers buying in.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Dreddout posted:

That's just collapse_of_the_warsaw_pact.jpg, isn't it?

Yes, but Bulgaria's is the most extreme case. For comparison, in 1989 the population of Belgium was only slightly higher than that of Bulgaria - now it's 50% higher.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

walrusman posted:

It's trying to convince people to buy in now and drive prices up, because there will be nowehere near enough to go around in the very near future.

I love the logic of this because it presupposes fractional BTC isn’t a thing.

In their minds, people will be fighting to be the one to buy their bitcoin from them for the equivalent of millions of dollars instead of just using .00000054 BTC for their stupid transaction (or, more realistically, laughing when they run to pay for something with their worthless internet tokens)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DarkHorse posted:

I love the logic of this because it presupposes fractional BTC isn’t a thing.

In their minds, people will be fighting to be the one to buy their bitcoin from them for the equivalent of millions of dollars instead of just using .00000054 BTC for their stupid transaction (or, more realistically, laughing when they run to pay for something with their worthless internet tokens)

Talk about fractional reserve banking!

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

yeah people who brag about being introverts are definitely victims of an online myers-briggstest

i think i was INTJ too, but its literally 20 years since

Funny how INTJ is supposedly the rarest type, but everyone who brags about their Myers-Briggs result online seems to be that type (or a closely related one).

Maybe the true sign of being an INTJ is taking online quiz results too seriously. :v:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

SerialKilldeer posted:

Funny how INTJ is supposedly the rarest type, but everyone who brags about their Myers-Briggs result online seems to be that type (or a closely related one).

Maybe the true sign of being an INTJ is taking online quiz results too seriously. :v:

Yeah introverts are really extroverted when it comes to talking about how special their introversion is.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SerialKilldeer posted:

Or perhaps the extroverts are all out actually talking to people? You know, off of the internet?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Myers Briggs is dog poo poo garbage

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Myers–Briggs is astrology for autists.

Judas Horse
Mar 24, 2018

ey im walkin simulator here
Which is worse, Myers–Briggs or Harry Potter house?

They're always posted together so who knows!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It used to be a prank around the HR dept at my last company that if someone left their computer unlocked, a colleague would set their autoresponder to say they were on M-B training.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Whenever people ask me about my Harry Potter house I always give a joke answer. It's my passive-aggressive way of saying "this is some bullshit".

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

my harry potter's house is hagrid's

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
"House Lannister"

"House Stewart"

"Animal House"

Similarly, if people ask me what's my sign, I say "a bad one".

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
HP house is way better than MB because it's aspirational and fun rather than bullshit masquerading as science

MB is a BM

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

13Pandora13 posted:

Yeah introverts are really extroverted when it comes to talking about how special their introversion is.

INTrovert Jerks.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gorilla Salad posted:

INTrovert Jerks.

"Jerk" is my love language.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm only friends with Shamhats and Humbabas, Utnapishtims are boring as gently caress.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"House Lannister"

"House Stewart"

"Animal House"

Similarly, if people ask me what's my sign, I say "a bad one".

"stop"

E: "slow"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Whenever people ask me about my Harry Potter house I always give a joke answer. It's my passive-aggressive way of saying "this is some bullshit".

Are you telling us that people have asked you enough times to (1) develop a snarky retort and (2) you have done this retort multiple times? Because you need a new social circle my dude or dudette