Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Edit. :3:

XBenedict fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Seventh Arrow posted:

Even Pale Communion?

I like Pale Communion. I had a few days of just listening to Goblin. The first three tracks are pretty good too. Akerfeldt says their next album is gonna be twisted. I wish he could still growl, though. :(

lurker4334
Nov 20, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
somebody say flute?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtPDTeEQ2vA

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Man, I haven't listened to this album in a decade or more and I can't believe how much Steven Wilson's "3 Years Older" starts out like the beginning of this song

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Like many people who enjoyed Ommadawn and Tubular Bells, I kinda assumed that Mike Oldfield just stopped making good music when he realised that actually Moonlight Shadow caused money to be delivered to him in freight trains, but I realised recently that actually Return To Ommadawn was really really good, so it's not like he just forgot how to make good albums. What else is good in properly progressive Mike Oldfield?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Amarok. It's infamous for being the album he engineered to be as uncommercial as possible to spite Richard Branson, but it's also excellent.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
If you're of minimalist bent, Incantations is lovely.

Pretty much anything after Tubular Bells 2 can go gently caress itself.

And let's not forget the remake of Tubular Bells 1 so it's "perfect." I mean jesus christ Mike what were you even thinking? It's soulless and horrible.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Roz Vitalis, a criminally known Russian "eclectic prog" outfit just put out their newest and I think possibly best album.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I kinda assumed that Mike Oldfield just stopped making good music
Hideo Kojima didn't think so :colbert:

(this post mostly serves to highlight that unexpected musical juxtaposition, a la "jesus christ the guy from deep purple sang this")

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I like Genesis' Foxtrot but Supper's Ready is such a bore!

edit: Supper's Ready is kind of good.

DoubleCakes fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 19, 2018

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Supper’s Ready is the best track on the album and one of the best of the classic prog “epics”

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Like many people who enjoyed Ommadawn and Tubular Bells, I kinda assumed that Mike Oldfield just stopped making good music when he realised that actually Moonlight Shadow caused money to be delivered to him in freight trains, but I realised recently that actually Return To Ommadawn was really really good, so it's not like he just forgot how to make good albums. What else is good in properly progressive Mike Oldfield?

I've enjoyed all of his instrumental / minimalist stuff ... his pop stuff not so much, although Platinum and Crises had its moments. I don't listen to any of his stuff nearly as much as I listen to his first three or four albums though.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
"Supper's Ready good" is the normie prog take but the track IS good goddammit!

Live it's incredible.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Supper's Ready is the only long prog epic that i can think of that doesn't have any boring parts. A lot of other long songs like that i'll often skip to the good parts but i don't do that with supper's ready.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I can’t think of any boring parts in Thick as a brick or hemispheres. I think all of Suppers Ready is boring but I’m not the biggest genesis fan.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I usually loathe facebook memes, but Prog Snob makes me laugh once in a while

you do you, prog seagull :allears:

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Colonel J posted:

"Supper's Ready good" is the normie prog take but the track IS good goddammit!

Live it's incredible.

Saw The Musical Box do it last March, can confirm.

It's amazing what you can do with a few strobe lights at well timed cues.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Attitude Indicator posted:

Supper's Ready is the only long prog epic that i can think of that doesn't have any boring parts. A lot of other long songs like that i'll often skip to the good parts but i don't do that with supper's ready.

I was going to say Close to the Edge and Gates of Delerium but you're right, Close to the Edge does drag a bit on repeated listenings on the "I Get Up I Get Down" part and Gates of Delerium does go on for a bit too long in the first half. Any others that come close? Scheherezade? Echoes? Shine On You Crazy Diamond? Lizard? Supper's Ready probably is the best. Someone mentioned Ommadawn earlier. Side one of that album is pretty drat close to perfect. Also reallylike side two of Hergest Ridge.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 5, 2018

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Echoes has that weird ambient part in the middle that goes on for ages. That bit sucks even if I like the rest of the song.

I agree with BigFactory - Hemispheres has no boring bits. Rush's other two epics do (2112 and The Fountain of Lamneth) but Hemispheres is solid start to finish. Speaking of Hemispheres, I love that part in the intro with the harmonics and everything building up around them. Makes me go 'gently caress yeah' every time

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Hemispheres has no boring bits.

I love Rush, but this is wrong in so many possible ways.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I think Scheherezade also had no boring bits but I'm gonna go listen to all 24 minutes and verify.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

personally I am not bored by any part of King Crimson's "Lizard" in fact some of the quieter parts are my favorite bits of it

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Earwicker posted:

personally I am not bored by any part of King Crimson's "Lizard" in fact some of the quieter parts are my favorite bits of it

"Overall, the album (Lizard) is unlistenable,” Robert Fripp 

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Fluffhead is epic start to finish.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Echoes has that weird ambient part in the middle that goes on for ages. That bit sucks even if I like the rest of the song.

True, but that part afterwards is sublime and worth the wait and there's nothing in any Pink Floyd song like it.

Supper's Ready is probably the only prog rock epic I like as much as the first time I heard it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Not even sure if it's a comedy option or not

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Rust Martialis posted:

I hated the whole Lizard album when I first heard it as a kid. The only parts I liked was Prince Rupert and the Pecock's Tale. I thought Haskell's voice was a terrible fit, especially, after having listened to the first two albums with Greg Lake. But after repeated listens, it grew on me. I started to get the weird insanity of it and the whole dark jazz fusion sound they were going for. I can't imagine it without Haskell's voice now. Now it's my favorite King Crimson album. I especially love Steven Wilson's remix. I could listen to it over and over again. And the Battle of Glass Tears is a wicked jam.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The really cool thing about Lizard is that YouTube is full of these weird 8-bit and 16-bit versions of the whole album and they all sound awesome

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Vulture Culture posted:

Tarkus is very good overall but gets repetitive. Same goes for Karn Evil 9 their other even longer epic.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Gianthogweed posted:

Tarkus is very good overall but gets repetitive. Same goes for Karn Evil 9 their other even longer epic.
I have this really weird attachment to this track because I really liked the video game Secret of Mana as a kid and it is so, so obvious that the composer Hiroki Kukuta was a giant fan of ELP and this album in particular

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Vulture Culture posted:

I have this really weird attachment to this track because I really liked the video game Secret of Mana as a kid and it is so, so obvious that the composer Hiroki Kukuta was a giant fan of ELP and this album in particular

Most of those japanese video game composers were into ELP, especially the ones that worked for Squaresoft. Listen to Dancing Mad from Final Fantasy III
https://youtu.be/JbXVNKtmWnc?t=12m5s

edit:

I think ELP was just really popular in general in Japan, especially in the 90s.
https://youtu.be/l5iiZD7Mlvw

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 6, 2018

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I probably got into prog and especially ELP because I grew up on the Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy soundtracks

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
That was probably a big part of why I got into prog too. Not just Final Fantasy, but Castlevania, and countless other prog-influenced game soundtracks.

Motoi Sakuraba was the keyboardist for Japanese prog band Deja Vu before he started doing game soundtracks. I particularly love his soundtrack album for the widely hated PS1 RPG Beyond the Beyond, which I strongly suspect was a solo album he was working on that he repurposed as a game soundtrack. Even if I'm wrong, some of the themes most prominently featured on the album weren't even used in the game, so you may as well not even call it a soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sac4Mwad_PI

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Rust Martialis posted:

I'm not crazy about side one (or Haskell's voice in general) but I love the song Lizard itself and have always wished the lineup from that song were an actual band

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Gianthogweed posted:

Most of those japanese video game composers were into ELP, especially the ones that worked for Squaresoft. Listen to Dancing Mad from Final Fantasy III
https://youtu.be/JbXVNKtmWnc?t=12m5s

Dancing Mad has always struck me as Uematsu wanting to write a Dream Theater song by way of Pink Floyd.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

PinioL just released their first album and it's really good, it's been on heavy rotation at my house the last few days. Fairly aggressive, mathy, zeuhl adjacent stuff.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Vulture Culture posted:

I dig Tarkus.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

That was probably a big part of why I got into prog too. Not just Final Fantasy, but Castlevania, and countless other prog-influenced game soundtracks.

Motoi Sakuraba was the keyboardist for Japanese prog band Deja Vu before he started doing game soundtracks. I particularly love his soundtrack album for the widely hated PS1 RPG Beyond the Beyond, which I strongly suspect was a solo album he was working on that he repurposed as a game soundtrack. Even if I'm wrong, some of the themes most prominently featured on the album weren't even used in the game, so you may as well not even call it a soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sac4Mwad_PI

OMG I totally forgot about that game. Loved the music in that too, but man that game pissed me off. I bought the PS for FF7 but it wasn't out yet and Beyond the Beyond was the only rpg you could get for the console before September 1997. It was grindy, but I was an old school rpger so I actually liked it at the time, and the music was really good so it made the grind more bearable. But it was the only RPG where I actually found myself in an unwinnable state.

I entered one of the dungeons too early. The enemies were way too powerful for me but I had gone too deep and had to use a magic rope get out of it without my party wiping. Unfortunately I had flipped a switch that removed a bridge near the entrance that couldn't be unflipped from the other side. The dungeon didn't reset after I warped out so there was no way i could complete the dungeon from then on. But I hadn't realized that until the time came for me to go back and complete that dungeon in order to progress through the story.

Sadly, by that point I was like 60 hours into the game and had no save from before I first entered the dungeon (which was like 40 hours earlier anyway) so I just gave up rather than start over. Unwinnable states in adventure games I can forgive because you can usually move through them quickly when you know the solutions to the puzzles. But in really long and grindy RPGs? There's no excuse.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 9, 2018

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You know, I've played many JRPGS as a child, and later listened to a lot of prog, but never could put two and two together before now. It's so obvious looking back at some of those OSTs, too. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Rollersnake posted:

The Saturn version of SotN even has a developer's note that namedrops Goblin's Dawn of the Dead soundtrack.