Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It’s not that rare. I catch people by their lasers at least once a week or so, I feel like.

They’re definitely worth it if you’re playing aggressively though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

The problem with giving advice in this game is that we are all on different skill levels. What may work for a newer player could just get you insta-killed in gold+.

Theres literally no risk to running with a laser for a while and seeing if it works for you.

I only use lasers with the CQB shotgun (as it gives it a tighter spread and makes it a medium range killing machine) and the shield pistols. I sometimes use it on Buck as it affects his skeleton key, again with a tighter spread. The trade-off is that it makes much smaller holes and changes the distance at which walls come apart nicely. Ela with the Scorpion is also a good weapon for the laser, since you get a really accurate hipfire with it

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
the most consistent thing i've noticed from copper to gold is that players are generally unaware of how much the sound they make impacts their game

in regards to laser sights, if you are close enough for this to matter chances are any little movement you make is going to be what gives your position away moreso than seeing a red dot on the wall and using that same level of map knowledge/game sense to deduce where you might be hiding

e: also at higher tiers you're going to be seeing a lot more communication and coordination with cameras to the point that additional info from operators like lion or cav can completely change the outcome of a round in a split second. laser sights should be the last of anyone's worries at any rank and i think that ever since attachments were given out for free most people just put them on everything more often than not

Thief fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 6, 2018

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Speaking of which, it's insane how much noise people make during 1v1's.
Almost every time there's 1v1 overtime during a Secure Area match, the other guy is always changing stances, shuffling around, picking his nose, or whatever the gently caress else, letting me know exactly where they are so all I have to do is stay still and hold an angle towards them.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

lmao

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Thief posted:

e: also at higher tiers you're going to be seeing a lot more communication and coordination with cameras to the point that additional info from operators like lion or cav can completely change the outcome of a round in a split second. laser sights should be the last of anyone's worries at any rank and i think that ever since attachments were given out for free most people just put them on everything more often than not

Yes, and guns kill a lot more people than kapkan traps but that doesn't mean the latter are irrelevant. It's not going to be the main thing, but it's yet another thing that adds up for in most circumstances an extremely marginal benefit. I have definitely killed a lot of people that I wouldn't have otherwise killed simply because I saw their red dot. Back in the day when it glared out as a bright red light from your gun too it was even worse, but it can still easily reveal your location if you're not being extremely careful.

Personally I bring it on every pistol, shotgun, and most attackers, but in defense there's too many times I'd rather be able to freely hold an angle waiting for someone and actually get to look through the doorway at where their head will be rather than having to hold my gun slightly to the side so the dot sits on the doorframe rather than shining through onto the wall they'll be walking right past.

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

never kiss a gun street girl again

that's been around forever. i think it was the first charm the put in as a test

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

Koramei posted:

Yes, and guns kill a lot more people than kapkan traps but that doesn't mean the latter are irrelevant. It's not going to be the main thing, but it's yet another thing that adds up for in most circumstances an extremely marginal benefit. I have definitely killed a lot of people that I wouldn't have otherwise killed simply because I saw their red dot. Back in the day when it glared out as a bright red light from your gun too it was even worse, but it can still easily reveal your location if you're not being extremely careful.

Personally I bring it on every pistol, shotgun, and most attackers, but in defense there's too many times I'd rather be able to freely hold an angle waiting for someone and actually get to look through the doorway at where their head will be rather than having to hold my gun slightly to the side so the dot sits on the doorframe rather than shining through onto the wall they'll be walking right past.

yes. and on attack, it was getting me killed by flank runouts too much. so i don't use them anymore, as useful as they are for surprise hipfire.

(i.e. my laser is holding an angle on a window that someone is going to peek from, but they are observant and can tell that the angle means i'm on the ground in a particular spot. they're a pre-nerf 3-speed or coordinate with a friend and i get shot from an angle i'm not prepared for, usually a window on a different floor.)

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/8hb8wo/iqs_vision_is_based_on_movement_if_you_stay/?st=jgvar1zl&sh=f2d0d69c

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Wait do laser actually mechanically change spread beyond just giving you a tiny red dot that sorta tells you where your shots go?

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

ZeusCannon posted:

Wait do laser actually mechanically change spread beyond just giving you a tiny red dot that sorta tells you where your shots go?

iirc they cut hipfire spread by half

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ZeusCannon posted:

Yes, for all weapons too but only the hip fire spread.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Orikaeshigitae posted:

iirc they cut hipfire spread by half

25-30% I think based on Rogue-9 video on it.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Yes, for all weapons too but only the hip fire spread.

Well poo poo I had no idea. I have them on basically none of the guns because I was unaware of the mechanical benefit and I feel like I notice laser pointer dots a lot in this game so it bothers me knowing it could be a tell.

I also play this game like a trap door spider so that may be part of it.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

https://rainbow6.ubisoft.com/siege/en-gb/news/detail.aspx?c=tcm:154-322451-16&ct=tcm:154-76770-32
Full reveal 18-19th May, during pro league finals. It looks like the new map is a farm.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the only thing i'm going to miss from Chimera is the tactically spooky title screen music

also valk elite skin is out even though she has a dozen other equally cool options i will not shame anyone :homebrew:ing for it

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

You didn't post a pic, and now I have to Google it?

dude

e- okay nvm it was already leaked and I forgot about it

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 7, 2018

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Thief posted:

the only thing i'm going to miss from Chimera is the tactically spooky title screen music

also valk elite skin is out even though she has a dozen other equally cool options i will not shame anyone :homebrew:ing for it

The American ops all have the best elite skins. :911:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Renounced posted:

The American ops all have the best elite skins. :911:

Jager has the best victory animation though, if you exclude Twitch's hilarious claymore glitch one.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Major Isoor posted:

Jager has the best victory animation though, if you exclude Twitch's hilarious claymore glitch one.

Got a video?

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5iv-myGfyI

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Yeah, sorry - I would've dug it up before, but I'm posting from work. Thanks for including the link though, if anyone else wanted to view it

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBMum2BOq2I

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Apparently if you partially DC you unlock every operator:

The game fixed its connection after that match:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the ultimate smurf is going to find a way to consistently do this with the starter accounts

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wait. Why don't you have lesion unlocked he is amazing

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

ZeusCannon posted:

Wait. Why don't you have lesion unlocked he is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWQ-LcZtJhI

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Really wish you could mix headgears with other skins from the Elite skins, cause some of them are baller.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

i wouldn't be surprised if somewhere down the line they allow it once they start seeing diminishing returns in elite skins. at least you can use the weapon skins across operators. also if you could change the equipment skins separately it would be funny to read the essays about how kapkan's reworked tripmine is pay2win

lmao @4min

lesion traps are SO god drat annoying to deal with that sometimes i will just pick thatcher and use my EMPs to blanket bottlenecks even if they're if they're in a basement or garage where breaching is the safest option

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

So amazing. Also my God you run around with a lot more mines on you then I ever do. Also much better at game but yeah more mines too.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:respek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRMCHNu36Kw

knocked to 1hp in the last second :ohdear:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The LMG buffs are really nice having settled with them a bit, it really makes Ying feel better.

Thief posted:

i wouldn't be surprised if somewhere down the line they allow it once they start seeing diminishing returns in elite skins. at least you can use the weapon skins across operators. also if you could change the equipment skins separately it would be funny to read the essays about how kapkan's reworked tripmine is pay2win
Yeah, would love to see IQ's elite headgear on other skins etc. Seems really weird that you can't unless Ubi want some sort of "show off the entire skin to get others to buy it" ethos.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just to clarify because I've gotten confused have the LMG buffs hit the standard servers or are they still on test?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ZeusCannon posted:

Just to clarify because I've gotten confused have the LMG buffs hit the standard servers or are they still on test?

They're live.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

yeah they are very much live.
Capitao's gun is still a piece of poo poo but at least it does damage now. I've gotten a few kills with it that were actually intentional rather than spray through every single bangable wall.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Very cool I will have to try some out.

I've taken to using finkas lmg and just popping boost and sweeping a room because I'm awful with them. But it's hard to notice recoil changes when your Finka.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Designer notes on speed changes:
https://rainbow6.ubisoft.com/siege/en-ca/news/detail.aspx?c=tcm:164-322800-16&ct=tcm:164-76770-32
3spds slower, 1spds faster.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I hope they nerf it wrong and 1speeds become the new meta, somehow. I'd love to play Siege in slow motion.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I hope they nerf it wrong and 1speeds become the new meta, somehow. I'd love to play Siege in slow motion.

I'd probably quit if everything moved at 3 armour speeds. I like to move around a whole lot.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

i'd agree but i recently started playing Ela and after maining Mira I feel like a god drat rocket

zoom zoom brraaap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf Ace
Jul 21, 2006

keep it clean
no mention of the dropshot fix?