Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ProfessorCirno posted:

The Devil choice wording really threw me off too; if you convince her not to kill the dude, she doesn't find acceptance and peace or whatever, it drives her mad. She dries screaming without feeling.

Considering she's a remorseless serial killer living a hosed up science experiment half-life there really isn't a good ending any way you slice it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ProfessorCirno posted:

The Devil choice wording really threw me off too; if you convince her not to kill the dude, she doesn't find acceptance and peace or whatever, it drives her mad. She dries screaming without feeling.

To be fair, her other ending is she walks into the ocean because her life no longer had meaning, which uh, may actually be how you find her in this game.

I'm really interested in seeing how all these choices pay off. Hopefully it doesn't go Mass Effect and you just get a letter or something.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

need to know if chants are gonna count as spells for the purposes of the Transmute Wizard Ogre transformation

I just want to sing.

as an ogre.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I legit hope we run into her and we get to install her on the ship as a lookout.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

Considering she's a remorseless serial killer living a hosed up science experiment half-life there really isn't a good ending any way you slice it.

Agreed, she was by far the best ncp.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Kith posted:

I legit hope we run into her and we get to install her on the ship as an anchor.

:same:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Inverness posted:

Edit: Also can someone explain how wizard grimoires have changed? Can we still learn spells from looted grimoires?

Grimoires are super different in Deadfire. They have a fixed list of spells in them, two per power level all the way up to level 9, that you cannot change. You can cast the spells you learn at level ups even without a grimoire equipped. You can cast spells that are in your equipped grimoire as if you had learned them during a level up, and you can no longer pay a fee to learn a spell from a grimoire. You can swap grimoires in combat by keeping extras in your quick item slots.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I sometimes wonder if the best ending for Devil is being fed to the blood god.

Or maybe that's justification for the armor bypass she gives.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

GrandpaPants posted:

The Abydon choice only has 2 options out of a 3 option solution as well.

He chose to bind the souls to the cannons of the Battery in the previous section. There was probably a logic check to prevent the tempering Abydon choice.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I'm attack-moving my way through POE1 on storytime frolics difficulty to give myself a refresher and check out the White March, which I'd never gotten to. My first campaign at release was a cruel priest of Skaen and I don't remember much aside from sacrificing someone to the pit, so this time through I'm doing a passionate benevolent monk and beelined for the dlc. Hopefully I'll finish that by Tuesday so I can decide if I care about doing it with my priest or if I can import without it for my first deadfire run. I figure once I start it I probably won't be up for coming back to the first game.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

IEMod + the insta kill hotkey is a good way to zip through boring trash fights.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010
Anyone knows if Battle Forged still benefits from turning wheel and lightning strikes in Deadfire?

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

I kind of have found the first PoE game a little tedious, what changes are making this game a bit more dynamic and engaging?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

MooselanderII posted:

I kind of have found the first PoE game a little tedious, what changes are making this game a bit more dynamic and engaging?

You can pretend to gently caress a videogame character in this one.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

There’s a whole fig campaign’s worth of videos for you to watch

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

bongwizzard posted:

You can pretend to gently caress a videogame character in this one.

Hey now

you can probably also kiss them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MooselanderII posted:

Mostly improved character ai, also encounter design improvements, sexy swords.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MooselanderII posted:

Broad strokes, but:
  • Combat is more dynamic, engaging, and easier to follow. The system is based on per encounter abilities with a per rest resource (Empower) that can be used to make your per encounter abilities stronger. Buffs/debuffs largely simplified into a system of opposing inspirations/afflictions of each stat. Interrupting key abilities now vastly more important than in PoE1. Variable speed slider allows you to make combat slow to a crawl or go at warp speed on a whim. Encounters and map design in general are both vastly improved over PoE1.
  • Separation of combat/non-combat skills (e.g. Stealth is combat, Diplomacy is non-combat), allowing you to customize characters to be more unique. Skill checks are done based partially on a party average, meaning having two guys with Mechanics maxed is no longer a bad thing. Adventure sequences expanded to allow the use of skills and spells from every party member, opening up multiple routes of dealing with each sequence.
  • More open world. The core questline is still there for you to follow, but the addition of a ship and an open world map gives you the opportunity to do side content without being as heavily restricted by the progression of the core questline.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
People watching streams, have you guys been noticing a lot of bugs, glitchiness, empty text strings, etc?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Scorchy posted:

People watching streams, have you guys been noticing a lot of bugs, glitchiness, empty text strings, etc?

Seems like there's a memory leak somewhere, since Cohh mentioned that restarting improved performance tremendously, especially in the main city. Also a couple of quest triggers may be broken. Plus the usual grammatical errors and such.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Scorchy posted:

There are rare quest bugs so far yes, like NPCs not interacting properly at certain stages of quests.

Sometimes in Queen's Berth (a big area in Neketaka) there were performance drops that were fixed with restarting the game

I saw in one combat an enemy glitching, stuck in animation and dying after awhile

Importing a save with the baby orlan decision doesn't work, have to customizing one or pick a preset with that decision

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

frajaq posted:

Importing a save with the baby orlan decision doesn't work, have to customizing one or pick a preset with that decision

Can' t believe they messed up the most important choice.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

frajaq posted:

There are rare quest bugs so far yes, like NPCs not interacting properly at certain stages of quests.

Sometimes in Queen's Berth (a big area in Neketaka) there were performance drops that were fixed with restarting the game

I saw in one combat an enemy glitching, stuck in animation and dying after awhile

Bah, guess I'll have to spend my first 15 minutes customizing a duplicate of my actual save then.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
the necklace that summons two wurms and a drake per rest seems really good

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So how do you edit a grimoire in the beta? I wanted to see if Parasitic Staff worked with carnage but none of my books have the spell and I can't figure out how to put it in.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

You can't change what spells are in grimoires in Deadfire. They're effectively a big list of bonus spells you get to cast by having it equipped.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

frajaq posted:

I was going to ask ropekid to release the game when it was May 8 anywhere, not just in the USA.

But an extra 2 days is worth it if this bug gets fixed.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/173652711001/orlan-babies-arent-appearing-in-streamers-games

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Yeah, guess I won't be importing saves then. It was a nice idea, but this also frees me from having to play through WM with the 3 characters I finished the game with before it came out, so honestly it being broken is kind of a win-win for me.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

I love that the orlan baby is a big thing now, considering you have to get halfway through a late POE1 sidequest and then change your mind in the middle of it.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

'what happened to the baby!?!' has been nagging at crpg players for twenty years.

cruel bug.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Scorchy posted:

I love that the orlan baby is a big thing now, considering you have to get halfway through a late POE1 sidequest and then change your mind in the middle of it.

From what I remember, I actually deliberately went out of my way not to take the kid and ended up stumbling back into a conversation where the guy watching it attacked me and I had to take it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dan Didio posted:

From what I remember, I actually deliberately went out of my way not to take the kid and ended up stumbling back into a conversation where the guy watching it attacked me and I had to take it.

The way this happens fyi is if you take the baby and walk out the door, soooo :v:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

It's possible Cohh just loaded the wrong save.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I am watching one other streamer who for sure stole the kid and they aren't in the sequel.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's possible Cohh just loaded the wrong save.

He only had one save to import.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Change my mind? As soon as I heard there was a baby involved, I said "imma take that baby" and was simply surprised the game let me.

I might actually be a witch irl.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Yeah, he only had one save and he's only ever beaten the game once. So that isn't possible. He did make his save game public, if that might help the people at Obsidian.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

New scavenger hunt code:

https://twitter.com/WorldofEternity/status/993286556281524225

Enter them here: http://www.deadfirescavenger.com/ (full list linked in OP bottom)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

Change my mind? As soon as I heard there was a baby involved, I said "imma take that baby" and was simply surprised the game let me.

I might actually be a witch irl.
I'm still mad that Barbarian/Cipher = Witch and those classes seem to have no synergy whatsoever. Or rather, that the synergy, like in a lot of Cipher classes multiclasses, is probably best found by using a Soul Blade and focusing pretty hard on the Barbarian side while using the Cipher for essentially passives, biting whip, and Annihilation for ridiculous damage. The cipher side buffs the melee side instead of vice versa, which is what I'd hoped.

e: Nice, got my Berath sails from the scavenger hunt. I'd already returned the souls to Berath as pledged, so being brought back by them feels like a really natural progression.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 7, 2018