Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Ravenfood posted:

I'm still mad that Barbarian/Cipher = Witch and those classes seem to have no synergy whatsoever. Or rather, that the synergy, like in a lot of Cipher classes multiclasses, is probably best found by using a Soul Blade and focusing pretty hard on the Barbarian side while using the Cipher for essentially passives, biting whip, and Annihilation for ridiculous damage. The cipher side buffs the melee side instead of vice versa, which is what I'd hoped.

Does carnage not contribute to focus gain? That's the only thing I can think of that'd make you think barbarian doesn't support cipher very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Hmm, might need to make aloth wizard/rogue just so i have a single character in my full multiclass playthrough who is range focused.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Captain Oblivious posted:

The way this happens fyi is if you take the baby and walk out the door, soooo :v:

I must be misremembering, then, because I definitely didn't do that.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Walrus Pete posted:

Does carnage not contribute to focus gain? That's the only thing I can think of that'd make you think barbarian doesn't support cipher very well.
I do not remember it doing so in the beta, no.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
For a multiclass Paladin+Priest, are there restrictions on order/deity combos?

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
Do Steam Achivements from PoE1 matter at all in PoE2? I think I tried to cheese a fight with iroll20s and never went back to a state where I was gaining achivements again and I'd lol if this negatively impacted my import save

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think the only achievements that count are the ones in-game in PoE2 itself. Like, if you use a Steam Achievement unlocker, it won't actually affect in-game Berath points.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Sand Dan posted:

Do Steam Achivements from PoE1 matter at all in PoE2? I think I tried to cheese a fight with iroll20s and never went back to a state where I was gaining achivements again and I'd lol if this negatively impacted my import save

Probably not, unless POE1 plot decisions were explicitly edited.

POE2 achievements will impact NG+, though I don't know if in-game achievements are tightly tied to Steam ones, considering it's on non-Steam platforms.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Do you have to finish a full game to use Blessings of Berath, or can I get a few points, realize I want to reroll, and still use what I've unlocked?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

marshmallow creep posted:

Do you have to finish a full game to use Blessings of Berath, or can I get a few points, realize I want to reroll, and still use what I've unlocked?

The later seems to be the case.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So I tried it myself, and it is true that a Frenzy Barbarian Fighter with the upgraded Disciplined Barrage to get the Intelligence Boost does counter the confuse effect, but it looks like you have to wait to level 7 to make that work, while a multiclass wizard could get Infuse with Vital Essence to get Smart and counter the effect at more like level 5. Not sure if in the actual game the difference in the time that takes is actually meaningful or not, given the game goes to 20.

Really feels like Corpse Eater and Mage Slayer are just bad.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Dairy Power posted:

For a multiclass Paladin+Priest, are there restrictions on order/deity combos?

Yes, if they have conflicting favored and disfavored dispositions, they can’t be a multiclass combo. This means, for example, that priests of magran can only be bleakwalker paladins.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Really feels like Corpse Eater and Mage Slayer are just bad.

Does Mage Slayer still halve the duration of self-buffs like Frenzy?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So the new level cap is 20 now, did I read that right? Dammit everything I read increases my boner-size for this game. I can’t imagine a character having more abilities and options than they already did at level 16 in the first game.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Just realised there wasn't an 'untroubled faith' talent this time around. Oh well, purposefully nerfing my character so I can still be nice.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Maaaaaan the new main theme kicks all kinds of rear end. PoE1 had a fantastic soundtrack that I still listen to often, I really hope this one is just as good.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Yes, if they have conflicting favored and disfavored dispositions, they can’t be a multiclass combo. This means, for example, that priests of magran can only be bleakwalker paladins.

Thanks and drat. Guess it makes sense, though.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I think combat consumables should have been made per encounter or per rest.

I almost never used them in PoE1 because I was always saving them for the next fight. After hours of play I never developed the habit of thinking about them as an option.

I saw the dev comment that it would have been too much of a change for traditionalists, but it seems like it would make for better gameplay and balancing. That's what I want.

The Witcher did good with you only having to craft bombs or potions once before they were permanently available to refill when you meditated.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I hope if they end up doing a '2.0 patch' for this game they rethink that, because it's literally the answer to the question of people always hoarding consumables.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I hope if they end up doing a '2.0 patch' for this game they rethink that, because it's literally the answer to the question of people always hoarding consumables.

It is, but you have to understand that part of the function of Pillars' existence is to enable gamers' neuroses/worship of false idols.

And I don't even mean that as a condemnation.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Inverness posted:

I think combat consumables should have been made per encounter or per rest.

I almost never used them in PoE1 because I was always saving them for the next fight. After hours of play I never developed the habit of thinking about them as an option.

I saw the dev comment that it would have been too much of a change for traditionalists, but it seems like it would make for better gameplay and balancing. That's what I want.

The Witcher did good with you only having to craft bombs or potions once before they were permanently available to refill when you meditated.

Just use them then? Like it’s your own hangups that are holding you back.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

It is, but you have to understand that part of the function of Pillars' existence is to enable gamers' neuroses/worship of false idols.

And I don't even mean that as a condemnation.

I think one of Pillars' greatest achievements is giving nods to those false idols without itself worshipping them. Especially when you compare it to other nostalgia driven genre revival games like Wasteland 2.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Like the the trend in games to make everything simple and bit-sized is really dull and annoying, just fuckin drink a potion or two you neurotic weirdos, aint nothing bad going to happen to you.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think one of Pillars' greatest achievements is giving nods to those false idols without itself worshipping them. Especially when you compare it to other nostalgia driven genre revival games like Wasteland 2.

Was Wasteland 2 outright bad? I never got around to looking at it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

No, not outright bad, just clunky.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Gorelab posted:

I though it was fun right up to the very end where like a third of my party turned on me and I gave up after like a dozen attempts at the last battle. Apparently it was hinted at in some of the dialog but I was skimming like mad by that point.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Gorelab posted:

Ehhh. It's a game I enjoyed for what it was, and it has some good moments, but I hesitate to call it good as a whole unless you are comfortable with a messy and often frustrating experience. And I played it in original flavor and Director's Cut (which is much better); original was honestly kind of miserable after a while, and even the director's cut gets to the point at the end where even your maxed-out skillmonkeys are going to fail skill checks as much as 80% of the time.

edit: Oh yeah, they hint that anyone with cybernetic parts can end up being hacked by the big-bad and turning on you, and coincidentally the best doctor character and at least one really good melee combatant are cybered up, making them straight up traps to take into the final boss fight.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 7, 2018

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

edit: Oh yeah, they hint that anyone with cybernetic parts can end up being hacked by the big-bad and turning on you, and coincidentally the best doctor character and at least one really good melee combatant are cybered up, making them straight up traps to take into the final boss fight.

Yea, my love for assholes with robot arms really hosed me over on that one.

It was fun enough that I will play it again someday, but it’s not amazing by any means.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I hope that some of your party members turn on you at the end of this game

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

2house2fly posted:

plot twist: the sword files a sexual harassment complaint with the Neketa authorities

Then it turns out the sword is racist

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Eder rips off his skin to reveal he was the giant eothas statue the whole time.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

bongwizzard posted:

Just use them then? Like it’s your own hangups that are holding you back.
That is true, yet this is also a common hangup with mechanics like this.

It seems like per-encounter consumables would both alleviate those hangups and provide for better gameplay.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Aloth betrays you again but this time properly.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

2house2fly posted:

Murdering half my "friends" at the end of Dragon Age 2 was a highlight.

And also corrupting the ashes of Andraste with Wynn and Leliana in the party, so you have to immediately kill them both.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

I though it was fun right up to the very end where like a third of my party turned on me and I gave up after like a dozen attempts at the last battle. Apparently it was hinted at in some of the dialog but I was skimming like mad by that point.

That amuses me if only because it reminds me of Pool of Radiance.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ropekid has failed us, its not a true homage to crpgs unless its like that dragonlance game where you needed a paladin in the party or you couldn't beat a puzzle and the game wouldn't tell you this in advance.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Basically, if you renewed Eder's faith in Eothas and you don't have to nail him to his adra idol, this game has failed.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

uh so some poo poo happened and some bad things happened in defiance bay. can I still do eders sidequest? i forgot to go to the records hall

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

queeb posted:

uh so some poo poo happened and some bad things happened in defiance bay. can I still do eders sidequest? i forgot to go to the records hall

yeah, Defiance Bay reopens when you enter Twin Elms for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

You can still do the quest--you just need things to quiet down again. Go to where the game wants you to go and before long you'll be able to go back.