Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Privateers and buccaneers set sail across the tumultuous seas of the world of Uskara, setting out for uncharted waters or preying upon heavy-laden galleons that travel the dragon-lanes, where the great sea serpents extract tribute and plunder from those unlucky enough to not have patronage from the great Triumvirate of Powers: the Guild, the Dominion, and the Empire, which compete in a great game with each other over the fate of the Nine Seas. To be a mariner is to be synonymous with adventurer, and vice versa, as only the most bold (and foolhardy) would live such a life, despite the promise of quick riches, and worlds unseen just across the horizon. Even beyond the seas, the clouds now open as a new frontier, and the sunken world of the age before holds treasures even further unknown, before the gods flooded the world and drowned themselves in a great cataclysm.

The year is 1077 postdiluvian, what will be called the Hangman’s Year. It is a time of uneasy peace, six years after the Eighty Years War wound down, and already things begin to escalate again. The coalition between the Commercial Ordinaries’ Guild and the Free & Most Serene Empire has collapsed completely, and once again the Grand Old Dominion, ruled by the loathsome mind flayers in their ruffled finery and mocking wigs, has come to collect on old debts and press down their thumb on any independent peoples of Uskara that are not already under the protection of the other powers. For one reason or another, you all have found yourselves in the hold of a Dominion prison hulk named the DNS Ceaseless, that set course for the mostly unsettled island of Magna Orna to be forcibly settled in a penal colony. A skirmish with Guilder ships set the ship far off course into a terrible storm, leaving it adrift far off the charted maps of the tested dragon-lanes.

Facing a grim, excruciating slow end as one by one each of you was taken to be consumed by the mind flayer captain in a gruesome and ignominious death, somehow you lot managed a mutiny. Though each of you was certainly no match for the power of this villain, together you hatched a plan and had him thrown over into the waters of the Tranquil Sea. You took control of the ship and freed their thralls, and it seemed like freedom in the new world might be yours for the taking. However, such was not to be. Once the power of the mind flayer was extinguished, a young blue dragon that had taken these waters as its territory attacked, taking its tribute in captives and treasure, and rending the ship asunder with its thunderous breath, leaving it aflame in the night under the eerie glow of St. Jesoth's gaze. Most of you did not survive.

Those of you that did wake find yourselves washed ashore on the edges of a deserted tropical island, far from any known civilization. Pieces of the Ceaseless have also washed ashore, providing perhaps some supplies, though not nearly enough to make an easy escape. You will have to band together to survive this unnamed, unknown island, and find the means of your escape back to civilization, where further adventure awaits you.

Kicking rad, right?

Wyrmsea: Adventure on the Endless Blue is a play-by-post Dungeons & Dragons 5e campaign, set in a homebrew setting of an archipelago post-Renaissance fantasy world, inspired equally by the high romance of something like 7th Sea, as well as the mythological tones of the stories of Sinbad the Sailor or the weird kitchen sink fantasy of something like Pirates of Dark Water. The characters will play what will eventually become a crew of mariners and their own ship (or flotilla), though starting in very humble beginnings indeed: shipwrecked survivors of a prison ship on a deserted island, that itself hides a dark secret, having been marooned by a sea serpent, a blue-scaled dragon that still lurks the waters beyond.

I would like to run this as a play-by-post game because my own timeframe will best allow for updates every 48 hours or so at a relaxed pace, though if we can manage it we can use roll20 and/or Discord to run through combat or action encounters. We will use roll20 for maps of combat engagements and the like for sure. I work a 9 to 5 job, and have other commitment that meant I had little time for gaming but I’ve recently quit some of my campaign and activist work (and taken a sabbatical from others), so I’ve a nice little amount of time to do this, but I can’t guarantee much more than an update every few days or so, with the occasional break (with warning). If we can find a day that works for everyone in a biweekly or otherwise basis we might do some more quick stuff but I’ll see how it plays.

I have put together most of the worldbuilding, which I’ll share in a second post, but I really encourage people to detail their own parts of the setting and build off of what is there. The beauty of a world of mostly islands is that there are many isolated and unique things to find. If you want to create a unique beastfolk race, take something that isn’t listed and figure a way it fits in or the like, please by all means put it out there. I want to evoke a really varied feeling, but keep it within the context of high romantic fantasy with a mythological flair. There is certainly evil and villains in this world, but it's not so much grays, or black and white, but a story of many colors.

I am looking for six to eight PCs. Keep the following in mind.
  • Your characters will start at 1st level, though will advance to 3rd level shortly. Keep that in mind as while you can have an archetype in mind, you should tie into the narrative arc of the first level or two you really coming into your own. You were not a hero before these events, but you certainly will be now.
  • You may choose from the following races (and subraces) for your character. Those with asterisks have minor changes or houserules.
    • Dwarf*
      • White dwarf (hill dwarf)
      • Black dwarf (mountain dwarf)
      • Half-dwarf*
    • Elf
      • Moon elf (high elf)*
      • Mist elf (wood elf)*
    • Halfling
      • Lightfoot halfling
      • Stout halfling
      • Ghostwise halfling
    • Human (variant)
    • Half-Elf
    • Genasi (as Elemental Evil Player’s Companion)
      • Air genasi
      • Earth genasi
      • Fire genasi
      • Water genasi
    • Goliath (as Volo’s)
    • Minotaur (as Unearthed Arcana)
    • Kenku (as Volo’s)
    • Tabaxi (as Volo’s)
    • Lizardfolk (as Volo’s)
    • Revenant (as Unearthed Arcana)
  • You may pick any class, as well as the Mystic from Unearthed Arcana. We will be using the Ranger Revised. It is recommended that those who get a Fighting Style feature consider the Mariner Fighting Style from Unearthed Arcana, as any Fighting Style feature will grant access to it. I’ll adjudicate choice of archetype on a case by case basis, I mostly trust players.
  • Ability scores are rolled. 4d6, drop lowest. Roll seven times, and assign six of the rolls to your ability scores. If that results in something still untenable, just let me know and I will probably allow a mulligan. We are using Orokos.com, please be sure to put in Wyrmsea as your campaign.
  • There are no restrictions on alignment, but it’s worth discussing what kind of pirates you folks want to be. There can be some discussion early on, and overall I would edge to the more heroic, but high romance can include villainy as well, or something in between. Whether we are playing the Princess Bride, the Count of Monte Cristo, or the crew of Blackbeard, is really up to you. That being said: You should probably be a team player.
  • I really like seeing the personality traits, quirks, and the like filled out and followed up on, and will be proactive about awarding inspiration for such.
  • I also really like to make Backgrounds stand-out and important, feel free to use any in the player’s handbook. In addition, here are some reflavorings of the ones in the Sword Coast Adventurer’s guide.
    • City Watch can be used unchanged.
    • Clan Crafter is now Lodge Crafter, representing someone inducted into the Lodge of Ordinaries that is a pseudo-clandestine cult of reason within the Guild that while dominated by the dwarves is not entirely comprised thereof. The Feature is refuge and assistance from any lodge temple, which are found all across the world, and in general esteem from all stoutfolk.
    • Cloistered Scholar isn’t sufficiently more interesting or distinct from Sage to use.
    • Courtier can be used unchanged.
    • Faction Agents are those who serve the will of the Guild, Dominion, or Empire in their various wide-ranging intelligence services: The Exchequer, the Inquisition, or the Gendarmerie.
    • Far Traveler can be used unchanged, though you will need to be creative as to where you are from beyond the known world.
    • Inheritor can be used unchanged, though you can use that to have a ship… just not immediately accessible to you.
    • Knight of the Order is not sufficiently more interesting or distinct from Knight (variant of Noble) to use.
    • Mercenary Veteran can be used unchanged.
    • Urban Bounty Hunter can be used unchanged, though just call it Bounty Hunter.
    • Uthgardt Tribe Member is not sufficiently more interesting or distinct from Outlander to use.
    • Waterdhavian Noble is not sufficiently more interesting or distinct from Noble to use.
  • In addition to picking a Background, you should pick a Culture. This will give you a bonus language, usually a dialect of Common that can be used to speak with others in your culture, which can give some minor bonuses. Note that cultures are not just human! However, tabaxi, kenku, lizardfolk and those with the Far Traveler background do not start with a culture, or you can choose to simply not have one if you are even less civilized than a barbarian. Feel free, as well, to create your own Culture!
  • You are pretty restricted by your background and class what equipment you can start with. I’m fine with some minor swaps, but I want that to be intentional as it will represent the small amount of things important to you that you will be able to salvage (though not necessarily immediately.)
  • One last thing: Everyone starts with a free Feat. I think that adds a little customization and fun to the game to make each person feel more distinct and unique. I trust folks will not abuse it.

House Rules
  • Race Changes
    • Dwarf: Replace the Stonecunning feature with the Artificer’s Lore feature from the Stone Gnome subrace.
    • Mountain Dwarf: Replace the Dwarven Armor Training feature with the Stonecunning feature.
    • New Subrace: Half-Dwarf. As hill dwarf but replace Dwarven Toughness with Skill Versatility from Half-Elf.
    • High Elf: For Elf Weapon Training, replace shortsword with rapier, and shortbow with lance.
    • Wood Elf: For Elf Weapon Training, replace shortbow with net.
  • Class Changes
    • Bard: Add the starwheel to the Bard's weapon proficiencies.
    • Druid: Add the net and trident to the Druid's weapon proficiencies.
    • Rogue: Add the starwheel to the Rogue's weapon proficiencies.
    • Sorcerer: Add the arquebus and pistol to the Sorcerer's weapon proficiencies.
    • Wizard: Add the arquebus and pistol to the Wizard's weapon proficiencies.
  • The trident deals d10 using the Versatile feature, rather than d8.
  • Firearms are treated as normal weapons and have some specific house rules here.
  • Rename the Archery Fighting Style to the Marksman Fighting Style, it applies to firearms equally.
  • Perhaps a little more later.

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The World of Wyrmsea: Uskara

I am leaving a lot of details blank here intentionally, but here is a map below that gives some points of reference and inspiration.

As well, here is a map with some of my thematic intentions in a less than serious way so you don’t have to overly guess and get a good idea straight up what’s going on.

We are at a technology level roughly equivalent to the 18th century, with some differences here and there.

The Factions of Uskara
The Triumvirate of Powers play a constant tournament of hegemony with each other, trading buffer states here and there, fighting wars hot and cold over issues of power. They are known commonly as the Dominion, the Guild, and the Empire.

The Grand Old Dominion is a traditional imperialist empire with a powerful navy and equally powerful industry and magic, ruled by the loathsome mindflayers. They invaded the island of Bight and took over the powerful civilization there in a moment of weakness, and have used their powers to extract tribute across the world. They believe they are “colonizing” the world and civilizing it through their thralldom, looking to make an endless empire for “Her Supreme Highness, the Queen Mother” while perverting the remnant of the religion once born on this island to their own twisted designs. While they are quite powerful, the other two Triumvirs have on occasion allied against them, but they are very good at playing their enemies against each other. They were the first to master submersible vessels, though the elves have been able to refine their own form. Points of Inspiration: Victoria's British Empire, body-snatchers/alien invasion.

The Commercial Ordinaries' Guild (often abbreviated COG) is a mercantilist organization chartered originally by the kingdom of Khazadan and has now blossomed into an empire all its own, ruled by an all-powerful Board while performing their secret rites and hoarding resources and wealth. They have an extractive/transactional view of the world, and have engaged in their imperialism thus. Though dominated by the dwarves, the COG claims a few non-dwarven Board members, and is one of the few factions that seems to offer a meritocratic approach, though that is thin indeed. They were the first to build ironclad ships, though the mindflayers have built their own such craft since. Points of Inspiration: Dutch East India Trade Company, the Freemasons.

The Free & Most Serene Empire isn’t considered much of an empire internally, still holding to some perverse idea that the elven aristocracy within it rule themselves. A massive connection of marital alliances and relationships of homag and vassalage, the feudal nightmare has become slowly centralized around the tradition of a Masked Empress, where it is rumored the role is shared and chosen by lot. While thoroughly chaotic, the Empire has the largest navy and army by sheer size to bring forward, and their massive wealth and alliances are slow to stir, but quite a terror once done so. They were the first to begin mastering flight through magic and zeppelins, though the dwarves have experimented with gyro-copters and otherwise themselves. Points of Inspiration: France under the Sun-King, the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

People of Uskara
  • The Stoutfolk, Dwarves (Margray)
    Dwarves consider themselves the eldest race of Uskara and the one with the deepest connections to the Antediluvian Age, having been best preserved against the floods, and have built a great mercantile empire across the Nine Seas. Dwarf is a name given to them, though they rarely mind it, and they keep their own secret language and names private to themselves and those they believe have earned the right to learn.

Hill dwarves in Uskara are known as white dwarves, called neyaz in their secret tongue, and are those dwarves who live on the surface for most of their lives, far from the original mountain vaults. They tend to have fairer hair and features, and place less concern on their facial hair (most neyaz women shave it completely).

Mountain dwarves in Uskara are known as black dwarves, called kulaz in their secret tongue, and are those dwarves who still live beneath the mountains in their vaults, mastering the artifice of the age and looking at the world from afar. They have darker features on the whole, and have elaborate, often plaited beards.

Duergar in Uskara are known as salt dwarves, called lyyaz in their secret tongue, and do not live beneath the earth but under the waves, in strange “thaumaturgical armor” that each uniquely creates and seals them in. They seem to be driven by a sort of madness that pressed them to go into the deeps, delving deep below. They are not available to PCs.

There are such things as half-dwarves in this setting, called aalvaz in the Dwarven tongue. They seem even more tireless than dwarves and have all the industry and ambitions of humans, meaning that they are often very successful in the Guild and are treated as equals. They can often pass as either a tall dwarf or a short human, making them excellent at traversing both worlds. Use the hill dwarf subrace, though replace the Dwarven Toughness feature with the Skill Versatility feature from the Half-Elf race.

• The Fairfolk, Elves
    Elves are strangely perhaps the youngest of the natural races and the only one with no history in the Antediluvian Age, having come from the Feywild in the wake of the Cataclysm under their King, Balor, to “save” the world, astride horses which had never been seen before from the ocean itself. They maintain that dignity and belief in noblesse oblige, becoming great heroes or villains and having created an aristocratic empire that challenged the Dominion, but demands much of its vassals. Elf is a name given to them (and it is considered somewhat uncouth in the Empire), they call themselves the “shee.”

High elves in Uskara are known as moon elves, called the daoine shee in their own tongue, are that original stock that keep the original knightly mission of King Balor in his crusade to save Uskara from darkness, and see themselves as the natural royalty of the world.

Wood elves in Uskara are known as mist elves, called the bouca shee in their own tongue, are those who have left their mission to become closer to the world, believing their work done, and seek to quiet their souls by becoming close in the world, a different kind of protector.

Dark elves in Uskara are known as blood elves, called the fual shee in their own tongue, or sometimes the Herathbled. They followed Princess Herath on her journey to exterminate the mindflayers, and they fought a bloody and quixotic war until, either driven mad or into thrall, they joined the Dominion. Like the salt dwarves, they are not available for player characters, and look and play very differently from the drow.

Half-elves are given many of the same privileges as full-blooded elves in the highly aristocratic society of the supposed Free & Most Serene Empire, and indeed due to years of intermarrying and a small pool to begin with the elves have been pretty free about marrying outside their race with humans and even halflings, though never with dwarves, it has been reported. They are properly called aos shee in the Sarnathqar language.

• The Smallfolk, Halflings
    Halflings, called smallfolk, have always kept a low profile and often live integrated with the other races in their culture. From the same stock as the dwarves and humans long ago, they have adapted as ever to live in the places between. While much of their culture has been subsumed, the old name for them in their half-forgotten tongue is the shava.

Halfling subraces keep the same names, with slightly different flavor: Lightfoot are semi-nomadic, cosmopolitan folk who do not have strong clan or family ties like the others, called raklo by the ghostwise. Stout halflings have mixed dwarven blood and are primarily associated, far more settled and integrated in that society as the cheerful underclass, called gadjo by the ghostwise. Ghostwise halflings represent the older halfling culture, and instead of living in the wilderness live in roaming “boat clans” of tied together ships, rarely sea-worthy but traveling coasts and rivers, believing the other subraces have “become deaf” by their exposure to city life.

• The Quickfolk, Humans
    Humans live the shortest but the most eventful lives of all peoples of Uskara, ruled great empires in the Antediluvian Age but have not had their moment in the sun for some time. They are favored of the genies and tend to have a spirit. They are less the “baseline” of what people consider achievement by, but rather seen as shooting stars, prized perhaps for their industry but rarely seen as able to truly commit to the decades long endeavors of the major powers.

• The Kindfolk, Gnomes
    Gnomes did at one point exist in Uskara, remembered fondly and occupying a role of a lost race that was mostly wiped out, or of a legend like the menehune or leprechauns of our time, but they are not available as player characters.

• The Spiritfolk, Genasi
    Genasi are the progeny of pairings between genies and humans. Genies are extremely fond of the quickfolk, and often seek them out for romantic pairings, making genasi not rare, though not common either. They are not looked at fondly by the dwarves or elves, but are seen as all but holy among Ornassi cultures in the east and south. They are also, unfortunately, often found at the head of cults of elemental evil.

• The Highfolk, Goliaths
    Goliaths mainly hail from the northern half of the isle of Thule, in the frozen wastes of Hyperborea, though there are tribes in the mountains of Abyssidia as well that are more insular. Tied in some way to the giants that are said to have made the cataclysm that ended the Antediluvian Age a reality, provoked by the humans of old, they have become now great adventurers that have found challenges in every corner. They are often welcome too for their abilities, and their nature makes them apt mariners..

• The Bullfolk, Minotaurs
    Minotaurs, who call themselves the mitraides, are far from uncivilized beasts, but conquerors of mountain and sea, who survived the floods and adapted to the new world. A particularly notorious breed of the minotaurs, the Yikarian yakfolk, are found far to the north and feud with the Empire and Dominion with a very unique and powerful culture of their own, though they are not available for player characters.

• The Crowfolk, Kenku
    Flocks of Kenku are common sights in ports, and their history reaches back before the cataclysm into the Antediluvian Age. They often find themselves tools of criminal networks, and some cities ban them entirely, but the term “crow’s nest” comes from them, in fact, as they find the lifestyle of a mariner very suited to them.

• The Catfolk, Tabaxi
    No one knows where the Tabaxi come from. If asked, they often respond simply “elsewhere.” Their ways are odd and they seem to find themselves in the strangest places, and while they are rare, they often find ways to stow away on ships to follow their obsessions, even if they know not where they came from.

• The Lizardfolk
    The Lizardfolk are widely reviled due to their poor reputation earned from their rule of the terrors of the isle of Praxis. They have an alien, reptilian mindset, and a Lizardfolk PC would be an exception to that rule, which, being a pirate campaign, may not be an issue, but it’s worth noting.

Cultures of Uskara
  • Sarumite
    The city of Sarum was at the seat of the only empire to survive the cataclysm, controlled by its powerful Parliament of Sorcery, and they attempted to turn back the tides, under the auspices of their religion, the Axiomatic Church, which still to this day has adherents across the Nine Seas. However, they were invaded by King Balor’s army which attempted to stop them, and their magic went awry (whether the elves were to blame or not is a matter of opinion and revisionism), sinking the island of Durahan and creating the Sink, from which the mindflayers and their fleet arose from the maelstrom. The Sarumite people now are in their thrall and the core of the Grand Old Dominion. Sarumite culture, which has been mockingly adopted by their masters, is imperious and ostentatious in display, full of wigs and pomp and circumstance in a very different way than the intricate courtoise of the Empire.

Points of Inspiration: Jolly Old England, late-antiquity Rome, Lovecraftian influence.

Sarumite is the foundation of most dialects of Common. If you have the Sarumite culture, you also know High Sarumite, the religious and scholastic version.

Sarumites have three names: Their given name, a surname (with great variety, from the aristocratic to common), and a cognomen, a sort of nickname they earn before adulthood that is sometimes inherited. The mindflayers adopt the same style, though it is unknown if they have separate names of their own.

• Grunnish
    The dwarves have been stewards of Be’el de Marr for generations, and with the people there, human, halfling and otherwise, have shepherded a hardworking culture that has been long-influenced by their ways and the shadow of Khazadan, but is still quite unique in itself. The typical Grunnish person is hard-working but unambitious, believing that in an almost karmic balance that surely the scale will weigh out. They often find themselves settled in wide-ranging places to support the mercantile mission of the Guild, but tend to remain insular with their own communities. With the religion of the Lodge inaccessible to most, many practice under the Axiomatic Church and are more religious than most of their burgher overlords would like. Many have found themselves under new masters due to Guiler losses in the Eighty Years War, and there has finally after generations of being the workhorses of discontent brewing.

Points of Inspiration: Post-partition Poland, rural East Germany/Prussia, dwarven and halfling influence.

Grunnish is the third most common dialect of Common after Sarumite and Ornassi, and is the most commonly spoken as its own separate language as its people tend to be less adventurous and pastoral.

Grunnish folks have generally two names: A given name, and a surname based on a profession, which reflects their culture as generally you inherit your profession.

• Cradish
    The Cradish are descended from the humans that took refuge in the forests of Brocéliande during the cataclysm that sunk the world, and were then taken in by King Balor as his people when he arrived on the world with his host of elves. They have a society that prizes strongly individuality. Cradish men and women see each others as equals, and both share household duties, and often their children are left to run freely through the village, and taught in communal creches with the community. Children are encouraged to indulge in their curiosities, and roam freely. In truth, many live a life of serfdom chafing under the elves. They keep their own clannish ways in family units and clans. The intricate niceties of their family units and clan culture translate well however to the court-life of the elves, and Cradish seem to quickly adjust depending on the setting, and have a talent for intrigue that belies their appearances.

Points of Inspiration: Brythonic culture, early Gaels, elven influence.

Cradish names tend to often be ambiguously gendered. They don’t have proper surnames, instead naming themselves by their home with the prefix tir (e.g. tir Tairngire, tir Cuothr, tir Venthethal). The most numerous and powerful families kept genealogies and have clan names, though those are often kept secret from the elves.

• Heathish
    The Heathish are not much separated from their Cradish ancestors in many ways, but have adopted a settled lifestyle and a leaning towards knighthood that oddly, despite their distance, makes them seem more similar to how the elves imagine themselves. Their mix of passion and seriousness show this in everything they do. They are a very romantic people, with a burgeoning literary tradition and a great fondness for songs and poetry, though the exact forms vary from culture to culture, and town to town. They are often considered the origin of chivalry and courtly love, though the time of knights is long over.

Points of Inspiration: Norman settlers, rural Brittany, lowland Scots.

Heathish names tend to be more strictly gendered. They adopt patronymic surnames that over time have often become their own, using the prefix Fitz (FitzGerald, FitzGuillame, FitzHubert, etc.), while the nobility use the old Cradish style of “tir -placename-”, sometimes in combination.

• Ornassi
    The Ornassi settled nearly every corner of the world, a natural sea-faring people that has charted the corners of the world. Many traditions have started with their cosmopolitan culture, which is most notable for keeping the faith of the Drowned Ennead, nine gods worshiped with idols that are supposedly relics from the Antediluvian Age. While the Axiomatic Church often casts this as dangerous idolatry and a way for devils to do their work in the world, the Ornassi have always had a deep fascination for the old world, and that has been a part of their desire to find treasures and wonders in every corner.

The Ornassi language, unlike other dialects, has no Sarumite roots, and is not mutually intelligible. It is often learned by mariners as a form of cant.

Points of Inspiration: Sinbad the Sailor, Phoenician culture, Greek colonies.

Ornassi tend to prefer just their single name and try and make it as famous as possible, though they often append titles and the like, such as “the Mariner” or “the Liar” as needed. The Ornassi nobility sometimes take on surnames derived from poetic and religious allusion, with the prefix “bene”, e.g. bene Ashmedai, bene Qedeshah.

• Vendalic
    The Vendals come from the cold north, but are not an uncivlized people. They have remarkable ingenuity and have adapted well to the modern world, even been responsible for some of the finest innovations. Though renowned for their immensely fierce warrior women, their men have finally gained prominence as well, as they are the artisans and hearth-masters. They are a fiercely matriarchal society however, where men are still considered legally chattel to their wives. They managed as an independent force to best armies and fleets of both the Dominion and the Empire, but now that they have settled in northern Westenfal and allied with the Empire, it is uncertain if those traditions will have lasted them. Most Vendal swordwomen live a life of adventure until they have acquired enough treasure and deeds to return back and win a husband to settle down with.

Points of Inspiration: Boudicaa, Anglo-Saxons, Viking Invasions.

Vendals have usually very simple names until they win through glory the right to win the loyalty of others, in which case they take on a name for their band that tends to stick as a sort of extended family name for some generations.

• Sintali
    The Sintali are a diverse people, because they have sought to assimilate themselves into whomever was the most powerful empire at the time. Though they have enjoyed an amicable relationship with the Guild for a century now, they have seen many conquerors come and go, and their sybaritic, libertine culture has always sought to convert those that tried to conquer them. The “lotus-eaters” that join them soon become assimilated, making them a melange of races and ethnicities. They are highly passionate, fond of vendettas and intrigue like the Cradish, but balance that with a highly transactional and pragmatic way of looking at the world.

The Sintali language, like Ornassi, has no Sarumite roots, and is not mutually intelligible. However, while it still exists as a written language, many of the specifics of how to speak it have been lost by cultural change.

Points of Inspiration: Carribean flavor, Venetian intrigue, Marathi fashion and history.

Sintali have grandiose names, with lots of z’s, though they often mix and match the names of other cultures as well as part of their project.

• Margray (Dwarven)
    The dwarves don’t mark dwarfness by blood, but by principle. The Margray are those who have been accepted as “dwarves” into their secret culture and live the life of magnates and rulers within the guild. Thus halflings, half-dwarves, humans and even goliaths and the odd minotaur have been accepted as Margray. Their secret language, religion and rites are taught over time, and they begin to see themselves as stewards of a higher calling. Those that are primarily of this culture tend to sequester from the world, or pretend to be part of another.

The Margray language is highly secretive, though some folks have uncovered pieces of it here and there. It is the Uskaran version of Dwarven, and the two are synonymous.

Points of Inspiration: Tolkien Dwarves, Hungarian magnates, Dutch/Flemish fashion.

Margray names are only for the most trusted, and many are encouraged to use other names from other cultures with others. They consist of one’s given name and a lodge name, which is more a clan or extended family name. Non-dwarves become part of a lodge upon initiation as well.

• Sarnathqar (Elven)
    The Sarnathqar culture is the only one that is mostly restricted by blood to elves and half-elves, restricted to the secreted away palaces of the marcher lords of the elves under their Masked Empress, constantly in a dance of intrigue. Though they are a people that prizes freedom over all else, they have created an intricate system where their aristocratic privilege allows them to demand nearly anything of their subjects, all in the service of saving the world. They take their name from the island King Balor is said to have been buried, Sarnath, so called the “Sarnath sworn.”

The Sarnathqar language is known by many and used as one of music and magic in many circles, and the elves relish in it sometimes becoming the lingua franca of courts under their supervision. It is the Uskaran version of Elven, and the two are synonymous.

Points of Inspiration: Gaelic mythology, Arthurian legend, Versailles French aristocracy.

Sarnathqar names are long and varied, and every elf is considered a nobel bound to one of the Houses of King Balor’s Eighteen Hundred. Usually, they can count on their fingers how many generations removed they are, and use that as a suffix to their name.

• Nimhi (Halfling)
    Though only the ghostwise on a wide basis still maintain the old ways of the shava, the Nimhi language and culture still influences many halflings that have since assimilated. Though lightfoots and stouts have often forgotten their roots, they still use a pidgin of the language here and there. On very rare occasions as well, an orphan will be adopted by the boat-clans and taught some of their ways.

The Nimhi language has no written version and is more of a cant or creole than a proper language nowadays, but the ghostwise especially defend it fiercely in their oral traditions, especially among their bards.

Points of Inspiration: Rominchal language, Slavic tribes, travelers and tinkers.

Nimhi names are simple and often accept pidgin influences from other cultures, even among the ghostwise, while their clans are often descriptive names hearkening back to a time when they lived in the wild.

• Hyklosian (Minotaur)
    The minotaurs of Hyklos have a refined culture of conquest that they have honed over years, influenced by the Ornassi and the goblinoids of Abyssidia. They believe that every individual should choose a path of mastery, and have a pseudo-caste system that is determined during their coming of age. They are highly gender-segregated, with their women being considered sacred and protected. This extends to the non-minotaurs that have been assimilated into their culture, as they take young boys of fighting age to be trained as “janissaries” on Hyklos. They are ruled by sultans, as the Ornassi are, but also claim a Padishah that is ruler of all other sultans. Their successions are intricate and bloody, with each son competing at the death of their father for victory and often splitting into various warbands. They also worship the same Drowned Ennead as the Ornassi, though give each one an animal-head instead of a human head.

The Hyklosian language is a dialect of Minotaur that is mutually intelligible with Yikaria, the dialect of the yakfolk, though it uses the Ornassi alphabet instead of the old pictoglyphs of their people.

Points of Inspiration: Minoan/Cretan, Ottoman Turks, the Mughals

Hyklosian names have long tribal antecedents, and tend to be derived from fierce attributes or animal allusions, and the tribal surnames tend to be used as well for the names of their kingdoms and they put a strong focus on dynasties.

Religions of Uskara
The gods of Uskara are quiet, and only make themselves known through omens and great disasters, though these can be grand indeed. It is said the cataclysm was caused by displeasure of the gods, or perhaps a conflict between them. There are nine known mythic archetypes that the modern gods take, and each religion, with the exception of those of the mindflayers, dwarves, and elves, tends to be a folkloric take on each figure. We will treat those separately, and deal with each of the nine archetypes, that is known by a constellation, and their folkloric and religious names, as well as a Cleric Domain. In general, all forms of the afterlife tend to believe that those who are worthy become a star themselves, while the less worthy are dragged deep beneath the earth into the Abyss.

I’m going to leave the details here sparing for people to fill in as they like or through play. The two most common religions are the Axiomatic Church, which was founded in Sarum but is now dispersed and has a rigid structure ruled by cardinals and a central pontifex, which tells of a heroic liberatory figure called Sartas aided by nine saints that previously freed mankind from bondage and will do so again, and the Drowned Ennead (with the animal heads the Hyklosian versions give them), which is a more idolatrous religion that sees a sort of polytheistic religion in the more traditional style, with each god supposedly deep beneath the water and having aquatic aspects.

The dwarven religion, the Lodge of Ordinaries, teaches in a Principle of order and law, and is a cult of reason that still ends up tapping into divine power through their rites, while the elven religion of worship of their fey ancestors simply interprets it more as hero play. The Vendals and other cultures have their own varieties and take on these religions as well.

The Mirror (Death/Grave)
- Axiomatic: St. Nicar
- Ennead: Nergal (crocodile head)
- Vendalic: Ragna the Cutter
- Balorian: The Queen of Air and Darkness

The Two Pillars (Forge)
- Axiomatic: St. Elspeth
- Ennead: Moloch (baboon head)
- Vendalic: Laeberic the Artisan
- Balorian: The Muse of Steel

The Northern Manse (Knowledge)
- Axiomatic: St. Linus
- Ennead: Jehuti (ibis head)
- Vendalic: Laeberic the Traveler
- Balorian: The Lord of Dream

The Morning Star (Light)
- Axiomatic: St. Idrian
- Ennead: Shahar (eagle head)
- Vendalic: Frigg the Mother
- Balorian: The Knight of Summer

The Snake-Handler (Life)
- Axiomatic: St. Ennoia
- Ennead: Astarte (snake head)
- Vendalic: Ragna the Spinner
- Balorian: The Kindly One

The Smiling Man (Nature)
- Axiomatic: St. Jesoth
- Ennead: Dagon (fish head)
- Vendalic: Laeberic the Father
- Balorian: The Green Man

The Burning Gate (Tempest)
- Axiomatic: St. Vistra
- Ennead: Wosret (tiger head)
- Vendalic: Frigg the Brave
- Balorian: The Wyld Hunt

The Vagrant Planet (Trickery)
- Axiomatic: St. Alma
- Ennead: Ez (wolf head)
- Vendalic: Ragna the Weaver
- Balorian: The Laughing Mistress

The Banneret (War)
- Axiomatic: St. Pentar
- Ennead: Setesh (bull head)
- Vendalic: Frigg the Conqueror
- Balorian: The Red Victor

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 12, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Looks awesome. Interest check before I sleep.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I'm interested also, even though I'm not going to be able to make a character for a few days.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Epicurius posted:

I'm interested also, even though I'm not going to be able to make a character for a few days.

I intend to have the recruit open at least a week. I'm prone to sudden changes of mind, but in this case, it'll probably stick.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Seccacosantza Tolto, Vidame tir Cuothr; Sarnathqar Courtier

The courts of the Masked Empress are labyrinthine in their complexity, the intricate dance of allegiances and favor almost impossible to comprehend. Unless, of course, you make a life of it. Seccacosantza, or Secca as she was called in the depths of the Ceaseless, is one such who thrived on the ebb and flow of court life. She wasn't exactly of the bloodline to make waves, being seven generations removed and a half-blood at that, but it was also hardly a cap on her ambitions. If there was one respect in which all were equal in the eyes of the Masked Empress, it was through the expression of art and beauty. It was this that Secca relied upon to make her mark.

Some, though, saw her talents as a threat... or perhaps simply it offended them in some small way. The ways of the court are hard to truly comprehend. In any case, the then-Dame Seccacosantza's lineage was reexamined. It turned out that, conveniently, she could trace her ancestry to the last Vidame tir Cuorthr and was due a higher station. There was no little excitement on Secca's part, as she viewed it as the start of her fortunes turning, and it clearly required a trip out to visit her fief. That trip changed the course of her life entirely. The small transport she was on fell afoul of the DNS Ceaseless in a suspicious manner. It was incredibly unlikely that their paths would cross, particularly on the open seas, unless fate — or a courtly rival — conspired against her.

Rolled stats: 7#4d6k3 15 15 14 12 12 12 8

Tricky fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 7, 2018

GenuineRevelry
Aug 12, 2010

Decor Aficionado
Oh this is definitely happening.

Name: Jan'ti the Corpsewitch (to the servants of the Grand Old Dominion), the Seabride (to the people of Herapetra), but probably just the Mariner to you
Race: Genasi (Water Blooded)
Height: 5'8 (Size: Medium)
Class: Druid 1
Alignment: Neutral Good
Background: Acolyte (Dagon)
Culture: Ornassi
Languages: Common, Druidic, Primordial, Ornassi, Draconic, Hyklosian

Hit Points: 1d8+2
Initiative: +0
AC: 13
Speed: 30 ft
Passive Perception: 15
Spell Save DC: 13
Spell Attack Modifier: +5

Proficiency bolded

Attributes (Modifier/Saving Throw)

Strength: 13 (+1/+1)
Dexterity: 11 (+0/+0)
Constituion: 15 (+2/+2)
Intelligence: 11 (+0/+2)
Wisdom: 16 (+3/+5)
Charisma: 8 (-1/-1)

stat block results: 13, 11, 11, 13, 14, 8, 7

Acrobatics +0
Animal Handling +5
Arcana +0
Athletics +1
Deception -1
History +0
Insight +5
Intimidation -1
Investigation +0
Medicine +3
Nature +2
Perception +5
Performance -1
Persuasion -1
Religion +2
Sleight of Hand +0
Stealth +0
Survival +3

Features:
Acid Resistance
Amphibious (Breathe Air/Water)
Swim (Swimming Speed of 30 ft)
Call to the Wave: Knows Shape Water cantrip. At level three, may cast Create or Destroy Water as a 2nd level spell once per long rest. Uses Constitution modifier when casting either spell.
Perceptive: +1 to Wisdom, Perception Proficiency, no disadvantage on light obfuscation if able to see and hear

Cantrips:
Frostbite
Druidcraft
Shape Water (uses Constitution Modifier)

Armor Proficiency: Light, Medium, Shields
Weapon Proficiency: Clubs, Daggers, Darts, Javelins, Maces, Quarterstaffs, Scimitars, Sickles, Slings, Spears
Tools: Herbalism Kit
Equipment: Spear, shield, leather armor, explorer's kit, druidic focus, holy symbol, a prayer book or prayer wheel, 5 sticks of incense, vestments, a set of common clothes, and a belt pouch containing 15 gp

Defining Traits:

Primeval Tongue - Jan'ti feels most comfortable with the nuances of the Primordial tongue. Jan'ti litters her speech with hard consonants and harsh consonants regardless of the language she is speaking. Often her phrasing is clipped and pointed rather than nuanced statements. Jan'ti is often fairly expressive make up for her verbal shortcomings, using body language and exaggerated facial expressions to convey herself where words fail. This quirk has a tendency to start conversations off on the wrong foot and lead to some considerable amount of distrust and confusion.

A Free and Clean Sea - Jan'ti isn't particularly keen on the ownership of the seas whether the claim comes from the Triumvirates or the dragons they pay tribute to. She won't start a fight that would needlessly jeopardize herself or her companions but will become incensed if her ability to travel the seas is limited or upon witnessing pollution or other mistreatment of the waters.

Background:

Jan'ti had only ever known Herapetra. She had come into the world in the later half of the Eighty Year War and found her home on the coast in the shadow of the great city. Jan'ti found herself more urban spirit than resident, cleaning and protecting the coast as best she could and receiving small tributes of incense, food, and coin from the Ornassi folk that still worshiped the Drowned Ennead. She lived a rather safe though solitary lifestyle fighting the growing pollution in the waters near the port with little success. Even those who favored her feared her visage, the pale seagreen tint of her skin and long thin black hair painting the picture of a spirit lost at sea.

In recent years, the establishment of an armistice has allowed the Grand Old Dominion has found time to focus on internal struggles. Jan'ti became outraged at the spread of pollutants from the ports seemingly only increasing in the wake of peace and took to more radical efforts. She burned pyres of polluted rubbish found floating in the harbor in acts of defiance. The noxious smoke and nauseating fumes that rose from these pyres became the talk of the town first out of fear, then concern, and finally frustration with those who still cherished their home. Jan'ti's efforts had proven a thorn in their side, emboldening those who clung to the old ways and inspired a defiant spirit within them as well. Several months before the mutiny of the DNS Ceaseless, a night of blood and fire consumed Herapatra. Guards took the most vocal and blatant Ornassi dissenters from their homes and declared that they were acolytes of a cult of elemental evil led by Jan'ti. Panic and fear spread throughout the city, and those among them there were those who had seen the cove where the Genasi girl slept traded their dignity for their lives. Jan'ti and a handful of Ornassi were sentenced to death on the DNS Ceaseless. A message to those who would keep the old ways.

Traits: I have lived under Dominion oppression for much of my life. Even the smallest of wonders are beautiful and should be shared.
Ideal: Nature. Nothing is more important to me than the natural world.
Bond: My people are my family. The Spiritfolk and Ornassi are familiar and important to me.
Flaw: I lived alone until my internment on the DNS Ceaseless. Relying on others is a frightening prospect.

GenuineRevelry fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 9, 2018

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

This sounds super cool!

Dice Roll: 15 10 11 14 16 14 15

Captured at a very young age from the mountains of Abyssidia, sold to a wealthy merchant in Herapetra and trained to fight in the fighting pits there. After earning a great deal of renown in the pits, Gauthi staged a slave revolt and escaped the city only to be recaptured a few weeks later. This time around, his owner was less than willing to put up with his belligerence but instead of outright killing him sold him off to the Dominion. He was then placed on the DNS Ceaseless and shipped off to Magna Orna. Chained in the brig because of his size and strength (and well-established history of inciting oppressed people into open rebellion), Gauthi was not party to the mutiny and was not even aware of the events taking place on the ship until it began to sink following the dragon attack. As he was dragged into the depths, helpless to break the restraints that held him to the sinking ship, he heard a low voice in his mind demand his service. A vision of a figure appeared in the murky water, but he could not make out any features. He pledged his eternal servitude should he be spared an early death, and then succumbed to the waters. When he awoke on the beach, coughing up sea water, he found he was with the other survivors of the shipwreck. He also found at his side the spear he had used for so many years in the fighting pits. He grabbed it and struggled to his feet.

Name: Gauthi
Ring name: The Demolisher
Race: Goliath
Height: 7'4" (size: Medium)
Class: Warlock 1
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Background: Gladiator
Culture: Ornassi (former slave from the fighting pits of Herapetra)
Languages: Common, Abyssidian Giant, Ornassi

Hit Points: 11
Initiative: +2
AC: 16
Passive Perception: 12
Spell Save DC: 13
Spell Attack Modifier: +5

Proficiency bolded

Strength: 16 (+3/+3)
Dexterity: 14 (+2/+2)
Constitution: 16 (+3/+3)
Intelligence: 11 (+0/+0)
Wisdom: 15 (+2/+4)
Charisma: 16 (+3/+5)
Unused Attribute: 10

Acrobatics +4
Animal Handling +2
Arcana +0
Athletics +5
Deception +5
History +0
Insight +2
Intimidation +5
Investigation +0
Medicine +2
Nature +0
Perception +2
Performance +5
Persuasion +3
Religion +2
Sleight of Hand +2
Stealth +2
Survival +2

Features:
Stone's Endurance - Use reaction to roll a d12. Add CON mod, reduce damage taken by that total. Recharges on short or long rest.
Powerful Build - Count as one size larger when determining carrying capacities
Mountain Born - Acclimated to high altitude, including elevations above 20,000 ft, and naturally adapted to cold climates
Spear Mastery (if it's not ok to use UA feats let me know, I just like the flavor of using a spear)

Cantrips:
Booming Blade
Eldritch Blast

First level spells:
Armor of Agathys
Cause Fear

Weapon Proficiency: Simple weapons, Martial weapons
Tools: Disguise kit
Equipment: Spear, leather armor, shield, dungeoneer's pack, a dagger, arcane focus (crystal)
Traits: There is no greater glory than standing victorious in the arena; I give combat pointers to nearly everyone I meet.
Ideal: Ceremony. The dead must be honored and the best tribute would be for me to continue fighting.
Bond: I have sworn to oppose the government that forced me into the gladiatorial life.
Flaw: I have a hard time trusting people, feeling that everyone is always trying to use me in some way.

Mr. Humalong fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 10, 2018

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zeshoon Four
pre:
Statistic roll -- 17 / 14 / 13 / 13 / 12 / 12.

High Concept posted:

Personality - A casual observer might be hard-pressed to tell my friends from my enemies. The funny thing is, that's intentional.
Ideal - An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Bond - Dark and terrible secrets bind together the six hundred and sixty-six sons of the clandestine branch of the Imperial Gendarmerie. We know better than most that there can be no victory without sacrifice.
Flaw - Laws are important ...for civilians to follow. Rules and regulations are also subject to interpretation.

Background: Prologue of a Faction Agent posted:

Flexibility, that's what it's all about. The Gendarmerie provides the state with flexibility in policing, as the relevant military regulations exempt it from ...certain gaps... in service affecting the civilian police. For example, protocols related to the use of force are significantly more stringent in the civilian police force. Jurisdictional issues also tend to fall by the wayside when the whole world is your playground according to charter.

The Imperial Gendarmerie is best known for its crowd and riot control units, but its broad territorial reach has resulted in the establishment of a number of other units. The Gendarmerie maritime, for example, is responsible for maritime surveillance, policing at sea, oversight of the coast guard, and certain duties related to control and security at ports for ships as well as zeppelins. There is a less exciting branch related to the security of official buildings, and an even less exciting branch related to the provision of honorary services and protection of the Empress. Slightly more exciting lines of work exist in the department responsible for mountain rescue, and a mostly-unknown department related to the security of ...certain things that are highly classified but not worth worrying about at all.

Most of these branches operate above board and out in the open. Most of them. The counter-terrorism and hostage rescue unit, however, does not. In fact, it might surprise you to learn that while this particular clandestine branch of the Gendarmerie certainly does have a whole lot of institutional knowledge regarding terrorism and hostage adjacent activities, it isn't ...entirely... focused on rapid response techniques. The official directive of this unofficial branch, in fact, is that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It's up to the individual agents to interpret exactly what that means in any given situation.

"The DNS Ceaseless, somewhere on the open sea - ?? days ago posted:

The funny thing about mutinies is that nobody ever sees them coming. Funny story, that's also the fun thing about mutinies. When you're facing an opponent who outmatches you in a fight by a factor of ten, if not a hundred, you'd be surprised what a few carefully planted suggestions can accomplish. The right distraction, at the right moment, can topple an empire. Or a dominion, as the case may be.

Ask yourself, was it a lucky break that someone managed to make friends with the minotaur, and luckier still that he was heroic enough to lead the charge in armed rebellion? Or was it the result of social engineering, driven by someone with the presence of mind to identify a resource, and enough cultural acumen to know how to stoke a warrior's pride to fuel the fires of rebellion?

Ask yourself, was it a small miracle that the other prisoners rallied around him, using strength in numbers to overcome a superior foe? And who came up with the tactic to shove him into the sea, anyway? Did that just occur to everyone simultaneously? By all rights, should that have even worked?

Ask yourself, don't you think it was a little odd that the ship lurched in the right direction at just the right moment, turning the tide in the tug-of-war to cast the flayer overboard? All eyes were focused on the battle with the flayer captain, but ask yourself ...was it a lucky wave crashing against the side of the ship, or was someone's hand on the wheel at the helm?

Ask yourself, if it wasn't just luck ...what was it? And more importantly, what was the purpose of it all?

I'm just kidding though, don't ask those kind of questions. Really, I'm sure they're not important.

pre:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name:		Zeshoon Four					Alignment:	Chaotic Neutral
Race:		Half-elf (aos shee)				Background:	Faction Agent (the Imperial Gendarmerie)
Class:		Rogue (1)					Culture:	Sarnathqar
Size:		Medium						Religion:	Knowledge + Trickery + Grave

STR		12 (+1)	[12 base]				INT		14 (+2)	[13 base + 1 racial]
DEX		14 (+2)	[14 base]				WIS		14 (+2)	[13 base + 1 racial]
CON		12 (+1)	[12 base]				CHA		20 (+5)	[17 base + 2 racial + 1 feat]

HP		 9 / 9	[8 rogue + 1 ability]			AC		13	[11 armor + 2 dexterity]
Proficiency	+2	[Lv. 1]					Initiative	+2	[ 2 base]
Speed		30'	[30 racial]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Skills:
Athletics		+ 1		---		STR	[0 proficiency + 1 ability]
Acrobatics		+ 2		---		DEX	[0 proficiency + 2 ability]
Sleight of hand		+ 2		---		DEX	[0 proficiency + 2 ability]
Stealth			+ 4		[Half-elf]	DEX	[2 proficiency + 2 ability]
Knowledge
   (arcana)		+ 2		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 2 ability]
   (history)		+ 2		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 2 ability]
   (investigation)	+ 4		[Half-elf]	INT	[2 proficiency + 2 ability]
   (nature)		+ 2		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 2 ability]
   (religion)		+ 2		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 2 ability]
Animal handling		+ 2		---		WIS	[0 proficiency + 2 ability]
Insight			+ 4		[Background]	WIS	[2 proficiency + 2 ability]
Medicine		+ 2		---		WIS	[0 proficiency + 2 ability]
Perception		+ 4		[Background]	WIS	[2 proficiency + 2 ability]
Survival		+ 2		---		WIS	[0 proficiency + 2 ability]
Deception		+ 9		[Rogue]		CHA	[2 proficiency + 5 ability + 2 expertise (rogue)]
Intimidation		+ 7		[Rogue]		CHA	[2 proficiency + 5 ability]
Performance		+ 7		[Rogue]		CHA	[2 proficiency + 5 ability]
Persuasion		+ 9		[Rogue]		CHA	[2 proficiency + 5 ability + 2 expertise (rogue)]

Equipment:
Arms			Simple / Rogue				[Rogue]
Armor			Light					[Rogue]
Tools			Thieves' tools				[Rogue]

Languages:		Elven (Sarnathqar)			[Culture]
			Common 					[Half-elf]
			Ornassi (mariner)			[Half-elf]
			Hyklosian (minotaur)			[Half-elf]
			Primordial (elemental)			[Background]
			Deep Speech (mind flayer)		[Background]
			Thieves' Cant				[Rogue]

Saves:
Strength		+ 1		---			[0 proficiency + 1 ability]
Dexterity		+ 4		Rogue			[2 proficiency + 2 ability]
Constitution		+ 1		---			[0 proficiency + 1 ability]
Intelligence		+ 4		Rogue			[2 proficiency + 2 ability]
Wisdom			+ 2		---			[0 proficiency + 2 ability]
Charisma		+ 5		---			[0 proficiency + 5 ability]
Special abilities:
  Background:	• Safe haven
		You have access to a secret network of supporters and operatives who can provide assistance on your adventures.
		You know a set of secret signs and passwords you can use to identify such operatives, who can provide you with
		access to a hidden safe house, free room and board, or assistance in finding information. These agents never risk
		their lives for you or risk revealing their true identities.

Race:		• Darkvision
		You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it
		were dim light.  You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

• Fey ancestry
		You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.

Class:	• Rogue (Lv. 1)
		Sneak attack +1d6

Feats:	• Actor (bonus)
		   > Increase your Charisma score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
		   > You have advantage on Charisma (Deception) and Charisma (Performance) checks when trying to pass
		     yourself off as a different person.
		   > You can mimic the speech of another person or the sounds made by other creatures. You must have
		     heard the person speaking, or heard the creature make the sound, for at least 1 minute. A successful
		     Wisdom (Insight) check contested by your Charisma (Deception) check allows a listener to determine that
		     the effect is faked.
Spellcasting:
It is a mystery.
Wealth
Class
Rapier				[Rogue]		(    -   gp)		  2    lbs.	1d8 piercing / finesse
Shortbow			[Rogue]		(    -   gp)		  2    lbs.	1d6 piercing / two-handed
   Arrows	[x20]		[Rogue]		(    -   gp)		  1    lbs.
Leather armor			[Rogue]		(    -   gp)		 10    lbs.	11 AC
Dagger		[x 2]		[Rogue]		(    -   gp)		  2    lbs.	1d4 piercing / finesse / light / thrown
Thieves' tools			[Rogue]		(    -   gp)		  1    lbs.
Burglar's pack			[Rogue]		(    -   gp)
   - Backpack		   - Bag of 1,000 ball bearings
   - 10 feet of string	   - Bell
   - 5 candles		   - Crowbar
   - Hammer		   - 10 pitons
   - Hooded lantern	   - 2 flasks of oil
   - 5 days of rations	   - Tinderbox
   - Waterskin		   - 50' hemp rope

Background
Badge				[Faction]	(    -   gp)
Decoder ring ('code book')	[Faction]	(    -   gp)
Clothes (common)		[Faction]	(    -   gp)		  3    lbs.
Belt pouch			[Faction]	(    -   gp)		  1    lbs.
Gold pieces			[Faction]	(   15   gp)		  1    lbs.

Carrying capacity
Strength			  12		[12]
Carrying capacity		 180 lbs.	[12 * 15]
Push / drag / lift		 360 lbs.	[12 * 30]

Waador fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 7, 2018

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

A forest road, somewhere in Westenfal - a year ago

Ho there, traveler! Be at ease; I have no quarrel with you. The weapons I carry have no need for your blood, but you may find it spilled nonetheless if you stick around. A battle will be fought here, soon, and I await my enemy. No, there is no ambush here. Ambushes are for the weak and the untested. I bear the scars of battle, traveler. I have been blooded. I have no need for stealth and deception. Now be on your way, if you value your life and your possessions. I hear horses in the distance.

A coded letter in transit to Bodrum, Hyklos - a year ago

To the most honorable Aghor Cleohan,

The Claws of Wosret continue to take part in minor skirmishes for the Empire. Viscount Amiro's pockets are deep, and his lust for conquest is stoked, in part by . The favored tactic remains to await the soft Guildsmen in chokepoints, and to forego protracted battles. The Guildsmen have not yet learned that their light troops are no match for the discipline of the company. We are expected to travel to Nevarre soon, and then transition towards the Roaring Sea eventually, to take our fights onto a more piratical bend, deeper into COG territory. The Claws are eager for future battles; yet I cannot help but suspect the Viscount bears treasonous thoughts. Even deep pockets have their end, and unless his income increases, his pay cannot last forever. Yet as all Imperial nobles, greed will get the better of him before his campaign is at an end.

Yours in blood,
Cekman Mazhar

The DNS Ceaseless, somewhere on the open sea - ?? days ago

You! Small one. Help me free of these chains if you wish to live to see the dawn. The flayer is soft, but he is skilled in magics. If you let me take the charge, and let him focus on me, the other prisoners may succeed in taking him down by surprise. Why I'm offering my life to save yours? My life is already forfeit, small one. To live as a slave is no life. To die in glorious combat, or to kill our captor and free myself with the rest of you, is the only option I have. Quickly now! Use that stake. Wedge one link free, and I shall do the rest.

---

Name: Mazhar (aka Headsman, aka Red Gorgon)
Race: Minotaur
Height: 6'6"
Class: Barbarian 1
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Background: Mercenary Veteran
Culture: Hyklos
Languages: Common, Hyklosian

Stats (Mod/Save)
STR: 16 (+3/+5)
CON: 16 (+3/+5)

DEX: 12 (+1/+1)
INT: 7 (-2/-2)
WIS: 10 (+0/+0)
CHA: 13 (+1/+1)
Seventh Dropped Roll: 5

Hitpoints: 15
Speed: 30
AC: 14
Pass Per: 12
Rages: 2
Rage damage: +2

Skills:

Acrobatics +1
Animal Handling +0
Arcana -2
Athletics +5
Deception +1
History -2
Insight +0
Intimidation +1
Investigation -2
Medicine +0
Nature -2
Perception +2
Performance +1
Persuasion +3
Religion +0
Sleight of Hand +1
Stealth +1
Survival +2

Features:
- Rage
- Unarmored Defense
- Horns
- Goring Rush
- Hammering Horns
- Labyrinthine Recall
- Sea Reaver
- Sentinel

Proficiencies:
Armor: Light/Medium, Shields
Weapons: Simple/Martial
Tools: Navigator's Tools, Vehicles (Water/Land), Dice

Equipment:
- Greataxe
- Handaxe (2)
- Javelins (4)
- Explorer's Pack
- Uniform
- Insignia
- Set of Dice
- Navigator's Tools
- Chain (10ft) (3)
- 10gp

Traits:

Soft-spoken Savage: Mazhar has no need for loud threats or arrogant boasting. In fact, he can be downright chummy most times with people who are not his enemy, and even if they are. It gains him the easy respect of his fellow warriors, and leaves his enemies underestimating him. For when the battle begins, Mazhar is practical and ruthless, and he will not stop unless victory or death is his. (Trait: I am always polite and respectful. Trait: I can stare down a hellhound without flinching)

A Code in his Blood: Though his vocation and his loyalty to his Aghor naturally demands deception, Mazhar lives by a rigid code he developed both through education and experience. Those who fight at his side gain his respect and his utmost effort; though force leveled against him must only be met with an appropriate response. There is no need to kill innocents, or an angry drunk. Only those who mean to kill will meet the blade of his axe. His Code is Law, and there is nothing that can sway him from it. (Ideal: Responsibility. Bond: I claim that I'm an exile from my people, but in truth I have been sent to serve as a spy. Flaw: I obey the law my code, even if it causes misery.)

Wahad fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 7, 2018

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Interest post. Also posting that my luck was garbage comparatively, giving me a spread of 9, 13, 13, 10, 11, 9 with a 6 dropped.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Unknown Quantity posted:

Interest post. Also posting that my luck was garbage comparatively, giving me a spread of 9, 13, 13, 10, 11, 9 with a 6 dropped.

Feel free to take a mulligan on that one.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Posting my interest. No idea what I'll make yet, maybe a tabaxi sorcerer?

I rolled pretty similarly to Unknown Quantity on my stats (and my test roll's spread was all 12-16s :argh:). Requesting mulligan?

(Ability scores: 7#4d6k3 7 14 14 9 12 7 10)

EDIT: Did much better on my reroll! Ability scores (mulligan): 7#4d6k3 10 12 11 14 18 11 15

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 7, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ayo deadass good roll! Character goes here later when I finish reading Unearthed Arcana

Chargen roll: 7#4d6k3 15 17 9 14 12 11 15

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Still playing around with ideas, but I like the idea of a Kenku ranger or thief type.

Stats Roll: 18 14 12 12 10 10 9

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Interest post: I'm going with the classics and thinking about a hard nosed human dex-fighter-brute using rapiers and crossbows. Was thinking neutral evil but more in the "ruthless swashbuckler that still has a twisted sense of honor and cares for his people" sense over the "literally starscream will backstab the moment it becomes profitable" way of being a bad guy.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hardcordion posted:

Posting my interest. No idea what I'll make yet, maybe a tabaxi sorcerer?

I rolled pretty similarly to Unknown Quantity on my stats (and my test roll's spread was all 12-16s :argh:). Requesting mulligan?

(Ability scores: 7#4d6k3 7 14 14 9 12 7 10)

Yeah the 7 there really brings it down, if it had a 16 or higher it would feel more fair, feel free to roll one more time.

DeathSandwich posted:

Interest post: I'm going with the classics and thinking about a hard nosed human dex-fighter-brute using rapiers and crossbows. Was thinking neutral evil but more in the "ruthless swashbuckler that still has a twisted sense of honor and cares for his people" sense over the "literally starscream will backstab the moment it becomes profitable" way of being a bad guy.

I feel that in a pirate game, if you don't have at least one of these, something has gone wrong.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Najiha Warlock

Najiha was born on a sailing vessel, she can count on her hands the number of days in her life she has spent on dry land.
Always seeking a new port, eager to explore that which was thought lost.
She has studied amongst the loremasters, and fought with the crews, content as a member of whatever crew she had most recently signed on with, learning what she could so that one day she could captain her own vessel.
She had been serving as deckmaster of The Smiling Asp, a fast privateer vessel operating near Westenfal, when the ever cursed Dominion ships trapped them, and burned the boat to the waterline. Najiha watched the mind-flayer consume her captain, and her crewmates, unable to change anything.
For weeks as her time to be consumed got closer, she prayed to Old Gods and New to save her, but every sunset another crewmate would die, her prayers unanswered.
Finally when it appeared no other option remained, she spoke the ancient request for a bargain. Silence courted her to sleep, but unlike every other night, her dreams awakened her
to a world of never-ending Summer, greenery and calm seas abounded, and in front of her on her throne of living gulls, Alsayfa Queen of Summer.
"You seek my service?"

Najiha nodded quickly, she would have made a deal with any being to hear her pledge, but service with the Queen of Summer would at least not blacken her soul.

"Go then, and when a chance for mutiny arrives, do not hesitate. We will speak in dreams again."

In the morning, Najiha had felt the differences the pact had brought upon her. She would not die at the hand of this mind-flayer.

Name: Najiha
Race: Half-Elf
Height: 5'3"
Class:Warlock 1
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Background: Sailor
Languages: Common, Elvish, Goblin, Ornassi

Attributes:
STR: 12 (+1/+3)
CON: 16 (+3/+3)
DEX: 16 (+3/+3)
INT: 14 (+2/+2)
WIS: 14 (+2/+4)
CHA: 18 (+4/+6)

Hitpoints: 11
Speed: 30
AC:14
Pass Per: 14

Skills:

Acrobatics +3
Animal Handling +2
Arcana +4
Athletics +3
Deception +6
History +2
Insight +2
Intimidation +4
Investigation +4
Medicine +2
Nature +2
Perception +4
Performance +4
Persuasion +4
Religion +2
Sleight of Hand +3
Stealth +5
Survival +2

Features:
- Fey Presence
- WarCaster

Proficiencies:
Armor: Light Armor
Weapons: Simple
Tools: Navigator's Tools, Vehicles (water)

Equipment:
- 2 Daggers
- Belaying Pin
- 2 Handaxes
- Scholar's Pack
- 50 feet silk rope
- small smooth red stone, on a leather string
- common clothes
- Navigator's Tools
- arcane focus
- 10gp

Personality Traits

My friends know they can rely on me, no matter what.
I enjoy sailing into new ports and making new friends over a flagon of ale.

Ideal
Freedom. The sea is freedom—the freedom to go anywhere and do anything. (Chaotic)

Bond

The ship is most important—crewmates and captains come and go.

Flaw

I can’t help but pocket loose coins and other trinkets I come across.

Cantrips
- Eldritch Blast
- Minor Illusion

1st level Spells
- Hex
- Fairie Fire

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 7, 2018

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
A Tricky Dick Nixon adventure in D&D 5E? I am so down!

I felt like doing something silly, so I wanted to go for a Kenku Cleric of the God of Knowledge.

Attribute Roll: 7#4d6k3 17 16 16 14 11 11 11

Wew dems some stats, is there a character builder that I could use?

EDIT: Sheet In Progress

My life's work has yet to be finished, there is much left undiscovered, much more unsaid. But you my dearest companion, I wish for you to finish what I started.

The story of Quill Scribbling began late one night many moons ago within the temple of Jehuti, the Drowned Ennead God of Knowledge. There was Imam Amon ad Raza who held a position of great importance within the temple, dressed in comfortable but fine clothes, who had come into the archives to do some late night reading escorted by his guards. And there was the Kenku fledgling who would be later known as Quill Scribbling, what he was before matters to no one not even Quill himself, what was important at this moment was the gilded idol he was attempting to abscond with. The guards moved first to apprehend the thief and the Kenku moved second to try and flee and failed, and the price for stealing from a holy temple was a steep one for an untouchable such as he. But the Imam stayed the hands of the Guards and denied that the fledgling was guilty for any wrongdoing. Instead he took this wayward bird under his wing (harhar) for he saw underneath the matted feathers and malnourished form, a sense of keen intelligence about the boy that with polish, could shine like a diamond.

And thus ended the life of the nameless Kenku Thief, and in its place began the life of Quill Scribbling, personal Scribe and Secretary to the Imam and slowly overtime the confusion gave way to understanding. He learned the Ornassian Scripture both how to speak and write it, wrote down what his new tutor told him, he listened in at the lectures, he went through the library; reading what he could, listening to what he could, writing about what he could. And it came as quite a surprise to both the Imam and Quill himself when Quill attempted some of the divine magics he had seen used within the temple, and it worked for him. He thrived in this academic environment in a way that he never could on the streets and soon even the likes of he was accepted as a part of temple life, a fellow understudy instead of nuisance. It eventually came to an end with the passing of Imam Amon ad Raza, he had passed in his sleep and left three things to his Scribe and boon companion, his holy symbol of Jehuti slightly tarnished from age but well used, an unfinished manuscript about the Cataclysm, and a letter asking Quill to continue where he had left off in it's writing.

And thus ended the life of Quill the Scribe, and began the life of Quill The Explorer or Quill the Able or perhaps Quill the Scholar, the name was a work in progress. But it would have perhaps helped if he had ever actually been outside the city walls, maybe then he wouldn't have been captive upon a Mindflayer Vessel, and then stranded upon a distant shore...

Name: Quill Scribbling
Race: Kenku
Height: 5'0 (Size: Medium)
Class: Cleric 1 (Knowledge - Jehuti)
Alignment: Neutral Good
Background: Sage
Culture: N/A
Languages: Sarumite (Common), Auran, Ornassi, Celestial, Draconic, Giant

Hit Points: 1d8+0
Initiative: +3
AC: 16
Passive Perception: 14
Spell Save DC: 14
Spell Attack Modifier: +6

Proficiency italicized
Doubled proficiency bolded.

Strength: 11 (+0/+0)
Dexterity: 16 (+3/+3) (+2 Mod)
Constituion: 11 (+0/+0)
Intelligence: 17 (+3/+3) (+1 Feat)
Wisdom: 18 (+4/+6) (+1 Mod)
Charisma: 16 (+3/+5)

Acrobatics +3
Animal Handling +4
Arcana +7
Athletics +0
Deception +5
History +5
Insight +6
Intimidation +3
Investigation +3
Medicine +6
Nature +5
Perception +4
Performance +3
Persuasion +3
Religion +7
Sleight of Hand +5
Stealth +3
Survival +4

Features:
>Expert Forgery (Kenku) - You can duplicate other creatures' handwriting and craftwork. You have advantage on all checks made to produce forgeries or duplicates of existing objects.
>Kenku Training (Kenku) - You are proficient in your choice of two of the following skills: Acrobatics, Deception, Stealth, and Sleight of Hand
>Mimicry (Kenku) - You can mimic sounds you have heard, including voices. A creature that hears the sounds you make can tell they are imitations with a successful Wisdom (Insight) check opposed by your Charisma (Deception) check

>Spellcasting (Cleric) - Wisdom
>Divine Domain (Cleric) - Knowledge
-Blessings of Knowledge - At 1st leveI, you learn two languages of your choice. You also become proficient in your choice of two of the following skills: Arcana, History, Nature, or Religion.
Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of those skills.

>Researcher (Sage) - When you attempt to learn or recall a piece of lore, If you do not know that information you will know where you can obtain it.

>Keen Mind (Feat) - +1 Intelligence. You always know which way is north; you always know the number of hours left before the next sunrise or sunset, and you can accurately recall anything you have seen or heard within the past month.

Cantrips:
Guidance
Spare the Dying
Thaumaturgy

Weapon Proficiency: All Simple Weapons
Tools: None
Equipment:
Cleric: A mace, leather armour, a light crossbow and 20 bolts, an explorer's pack, a shield and a holy symbol.
Sage: A bottle of black ink, a quill, a small knife, a letter from a dead colleague posing a question you have not yet been able to answer, a set of common clothes, and a belt pouch containing 10 gp

Defining Traits:
Trait: I'm willing to listen to every side of an argument before I make my own judgment.
Ideal: Self Improvement - The goal of a life of study is the betterment of oneself.
Bond: I have a ancient text manuscript of my tutor's Magnum Opus, that holds terrible secrets that must not fall into the wrong hands.
Flaw: Most people scream and run when they see a demon. I stop and take notes on its anatomy.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 12, 2018

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Interest post here; am unsure what to make but I have been feeling some piratey stuff and I've never touched 5e so might as well do it now. I am prepared for disappointment!

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've set up a discord here for discussion and questions.

TheNabster posted:

Wew dems some stats, is there a character builder that I could use?

There's like a megaton of different options out there. I intentionally didn't put one out there explicitly because everyone has their own preference. I will be using Roll20's sheet feature since its well integrated with 5E to store it once the game starts, but at the present time, it's really up to whatever folk's preferences are. 5e is really simple though, especially at 5th level: You're mostly just going to be picking your race, class, background, and feat, and filling in some character details. There will not be a lot of choices, especially if you aren't a spellcaster with a limited spell list.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

Yeah the 7 there really brings it down, if it had a 16 or higher it would feel more fair, feel free to roll one more time.

Cool, thanks. I did much better on my reroll (18, 15, 14, 12, 11, 11, 10)!

Also, I've settled on a mysterious tabaxi monk. Sheet incoming once I'm off work.

(Not an accurate character portrait).

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Kyna tir Vaandrel, (Forced) Servant and (Unofficial) Squire

The Cradish folk often lived simple but harsh lives, overseen by their Elven lords and ladies, and Kyna’s childhood was no different in this regard. Taxes were demanded required, long winters were struggled through, and the small village rarely if ever prospered. Yet as little room as she had to spread her wings, it was peaceful enough in thanks to the dutiful nature of their lords. That peace, fragile as it was, fostered the nature that would lead Kyna down her path. The village struggled, but it struggled together. When one family’s fields fell victim to the whims of the earth spirits, the rest would join in and aid them till they could stand again. A simple and harsh life. But they survived, hand in hand.

It was a particularly cold and cruel winter, the sixteenth that Kyna faced, and by the elders’ words the worst harvest seen in decades. The crops had died, withered by months of drought, and many of the villagers were starving, or had starved already. Yet, they would survive, so the adults of the village spoke. Enough was kept even after they gave much to their elven lords, that while they would suffer some losses, the village would continue on. But. Kyna’s own mother was one of those wasting away, their family’s reserves close to none, and the others had little to share. A desperate time. And in desperate times, people take desperate actions.

When Kyna saw the elven men on horseback as she returned to the village, her chest began to tighten. When she snuck into her home and saw the full-grown buck her younger brothers carried, her heart sank. Still, she could not find it in herself to reprimand them. She had been considering much the same, after all. With a wry smile and an exchanged look between daughter and father, Kyna rushed to meet the elven officials face-to-face. When they professed they were in pursuit of poachers, she declared herself to be the one. Even then, the men there knew something was amiss. They had seen multiple offenders, after all. But one of the men, an older sort even for the elves, brought his horse forward. He looked at Kyna, looked down at her, and simply nodded, before motioning for one of the others to take her.

Kyna knew not what to expect as she was brought to Vaandrel. To lose a hand, most likely. Or perhaps she would be demeaned in some way. Shamed or maimed, she had no high hopes for her near future. Yet she would soon find herself surprised, for it seemed the older elf had taken… not quite a liking to her, so much as an amused acknowledgment. (Not that Kyna could tell at the time, as hard to read as the man was.) A knight of some renown, and the brother of the lord of Vaandrel, Amaranthus tir Vaandrel decided to entertain the whim he had, and began to mentor the young woman, ignoring the mixture of outrage and disbelief from his brethren around him.

At first relieved if bewildered, Kyna soon found her mentor’s decision to be its own form of punishment. Her own family’s name was stripped from her, replaced with the city she was brought to. Every action she took then, as well as the consequences it brought, would be reflected upon her ‘benefactors.’ Every day was fraught with studies and compiling duties, a squire in all but name. All of the responsibilities, and none of the recognition. No, none at all, and far from recognition, all those around her judged and criticized, whether she succeeded or failed. And yet, Kyna survived, and she learned. Not all of it took, but she learned from Amaranthus nonetheless. Of tenets and expectations. Of vows and obligations. Of the weight of a knight.

Before she knew it, eight years had passed. It was not long after that Amaranthus informed her he would have to leave Vaandrel, and for much longer than any of his prior trips throughout her apprenticeship. As always, she asked to be brought along, and as always, he refused. “There is more than enough for you to accomplish here in my stead,” he would say. He was right, Kyna knew, but the glares she felt only grew colder while her mentor was away. Nevertheless, she saw him off, and prepared herself for her first task: serving as a guard for some merchant company’s ship that had ties to Vaandrel. Little could she have known that this trip would be the time the Dominion would see fit to strike...

quote:

Name: Kyna tir Vaandrel
Race: Human Variant
Class: Paladin 1
(Intended) Oath: Redemption
Alignment: Lawful Good
Background: Outlander (Guide)
Culture: Cradish
Languages: Common (Sarumite), Cradish, Heathish

Statistics
Hit Points: 1d10+2
AC: 13 [Unarmored]
Passive Perception: 20 (+3 WIS +2 Prof +5 Observant)
Passive Investigation: 15 (+0 INT +5 Observant)
Spell Attack Modifier: +6

Attributes
Strength: 13
Dexterity: 16 (15 + 1 racial)
Constitution: 14 (13 + 1 feat)
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 16 (15 + 1 feat)
Charisma: 18 (17 +1 racial)

Skills
Acrobatics: +3
Animal Handling: +3
Arcana: +0
Athletics: +3
Deception: +4
History: +0
Insight: +3
Intimidation: +4
Investigation: +0
Medicine: +3
Nature: +2
Perception: +5
Performance: +4
Persuasion: +6
Religion: +0
Sleight of Hand: +3
Stealth: +3
Survival: +5

Features
Divine Sense [Class] - 5x per long rest, I can determine if there's any Celestial/Fiend/Undead within 60 ft & any place/object that has been desecrated. Can tell type of being, not identity.
Lay on Hands [Class] - 5xPalLevel pool, can use to restore HP via touch, can spend 5 points to neutralize one disease/poison.
Wanderer [Background]: Can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around me. Can find food and fresh water for myself and up to five other people each day, provided
that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth.
Gourmand [Feat] - +1 Con, Prof. with cooking utensils, can inspect a drink or plate of food within 5 ft and determine if poisoned if I can see & smell it, can give 2 extra HD and advantage on Con saving throws
against disease after a long rest for six people if I can cook.
Observant [Feat] - +1 Wis, can lip read if I can see their mouth & understand their language, +5 to passive Perception & Investigation.

Armor Proficiency: All armor, shields
Weapon Proficiency: Simple and martial weapons.
Tools: Cooking Utensils (feat), one type of musical instrument (background)
Equipment:

Traits
Personality:
Ideals:
Bond:
Flaw:

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 9, 2018

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
For my human (variant) bonus skill, would I be able to take proficiency in Vehicles (nautical)?

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

DeathSandwich posted:

For my human (variant) bonus skill, would I be able to take proficiency in Vehicles (nautical)?

What Background were you considering? In theory I'd allow this but usually a Skill is better than a tool proficiency so it's an unfair trade, and if your character's backstory supports it it seems fine to swap a tool proficiency from your background for that.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

What Background were you considering? In theory I'd allow this but usually a Skill is better than a tool proficiency so it's an unfair trade, and if your character's backstory supports it it seems fine to swap a tool proficiency from your background for that.

Eh, I figured if ocean travel was going to be a major factor in the game, it might be worthwhile to have someone who knows how to command a sailing vessel even if boat to boat combat isn't going to be a large factor.

Character concept right now is that he's the son (one of obnoxiously many) of a notorious privateer lord who beat the odds and lived to amass a fortune and retire. The heirs of the borderline-pirate dynasty are engaged in lots of in-fighting and factions to inherit both the riches of the family and the deed of safe conduct for one of the major political powers to be able to work with state sanction instead of just being a rogue pirate. My character would be one of the younger sons of the dynasty who set out to make his mark and return with deeds worthy of crowning the new privateer lord, only to be sold out by one of his brothers at the first opportunity and cast into chains as a prisoner. If you're familiar with it, think of 40k Rogue Trader dynasty family in-fighting and that's kind of what I'm going for.

I haven't gotten anything to paper yet and won't be able to until I get home from work, so I don't have backgrounds/rolls/crunch stuff worked up yet.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Just really quickly, but what sort of clerical domain or domains for the Elven ancestor cults? Or is that not determined?

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

DeathSandwich posted:

Eh, I figured if ocean travel was going to be a major factor in the game, it might be worthwhile to have someone who knows how to command a sailing vessel even if boat to boat combat isn't going to be a large factor.

Character concept right now is that he's the son (one of obnoxiously many) of a notorious privateer lord who beat the odds and lived to amass a fortune and retire. The heirs of the borderline-pirate dynasty are engaged in lots of in-fighting and factions to inherit both the riches of the family and the deed of safe conduct for one of the major political powers to be able to work with state sanction instead of just being a rogue pirate. My character would be one of the younger sons of the dynasty who set out to make his mark and return with deeds worthy of crowning the new privateer lord, only to be sold out by one of his brothers at the first opportunity and cast into chains as a prisoner. If you're familiar with it, think of 40k Rogue Trader dynasty family in-fighting and that's kind of what I'm going for.

I haven't gotten anything to paper yet and won't be able to until I get home from work, so I don't have backgrounds/rolls/crunch stuff worked up yet.

Sounds a perfect fit for the Pirate background, which will give you proficiency with navigator's tools and vehicles (sea).

Epicurius posted:

Just really quickly, but what sort of clerical domain or domains for the Elven ancestor cults? Or is that not determined?

I added under each constellation the "Balorian" figure that represents one of their archfey ancestors, with some additional flavor available for each domain, but feel free to develop it further.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Character Roll: 9 15 10 14 15 11 10

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Before I dump my character that I definitely didn't spend a lot of last night and most of today lovingly crafting, do you have a problem with a former gladiator turned hexblade warlock? My feat would be Spear Mastery which I don't think is too cheese, I picked it for flavor.

Also, would a captured slave turned gladiator fighting in the fighting pits of Herapetra fit with your world?

e: Excellent! let me post my character further up in the thread.

Mr. Humalong fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 7, 2018

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Humalong posted:

Before I dump my character that I definitely didn't spend a lot of last night and most of today lovingly crafting, do you have a problem with a former gladiator turned hexblade warlock? My feat would be Spear Mastery which I don't think is too cheese, I picked it for flavor.

Also, would a captured slave turned gladiator fighting in the fighting pits of Herapetra fit with your world?

Spear Mastery is quite fine, and that sounds exactly like something you can find in the Shining Jewel of the Nine Seas.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Lucielle tirAlness, the Cursed Noble-Turned-Rogue

Let me ask you something; what would you do if you've had everything taken away from you? What would you do if you were forced to live a life of almost unending hardship? What if you were betrayed by those who you thought you could once trust? What if you were branded with the Reaper's Curse that meant you would bring nothing but ruin and misfortune to everything around you? Would you curse the fate life has given you, or would you lie down, and accept it?

I'll tell you what I would do; I'd fight. I'd fight, tooth and nail, against my own grim fate, and I wouldn't stop fighting, not until my very dying breath. The only one who's allowed to determine my own fate is me, and no-one else.

My name is Lucielle Valentine. Yes, that Lucielle; the exiled daughter of tirAlness. The Reaper's Curse, you see, is not a light one; to have it means the Reaper stalks you wherever you go, promising a bad fate to you and all those around you, and when my family saw my mark, they were fearful of what my curse would bring to them, so I was cast away without a second thought. The only person who was against it was my mother, but the rest didn't agree with her.

I was 15 when it all happened. I was a scared, confused girl who didn't understand why she was abandoned so easily. I kept wondering, "What did I ever do to deserve all this? Wasn't I a part of them?" And from there, things only got harder for me. I thought I would die, alone, in the streets, until I was saved by one man. His name was Vashyrn, the man who gave me a new home. He was aware of my curse, but that didn't matter to him. He took me in, and took care of me. He taught me how to fight, how to survive, and, more importantly, how to take fate into your own hands.

Then, one day, a year ago, he just... disappeared. He said he had something urgent to attend to, but he never returned. I couldn't just sit down and do nothing, so I decided, then and there, to set out, and find the man who I owe everything to, Reaper's Curse be damned! I will fight through as many misfortunes as I have to, I won't let the reaper win against me! I'll carve my own path forward, and make my own fate!

...That said, fighting against your own fate, as it turns out, is not that easy. Through a series of (very) unfortunate events, I found myself on the DNS Ceaseless. Even after the mutiny, it seemed as if the Reaper enjoyed piling on more misfortunes upon us. Still, even after all the chaos that happened, they have still not managed to take my life. I, and the others with me, still live. Where fate will take me after, I do not know, but what I do know is that I will find my mentor, and I will win against this curse of mine.

quote:

Name: Lucielle tirAlness Valentine
Race: Human Variant
Class: Rogue (Swashbuckler)
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Background: Criminal (Lucielle got involved in, let's say, less than legal activities in her search for her mentor.)
Culture: Heathish
Languages: Common, Vendalic, Heathish

Hit Points: 1d8+2
AC: 14
Passive Investigation: 10

Attributes
Strength: 12
Dexterity: 16 (15 + 1 Racial)
Constitution: 14 (13 + 1 Racial)
Intelligence: 11
Wisdom: 14 (13 + 1 feat +1)
Charisma: 14

Skills
Acrobatics: +7 (+2 from Expertise)
Animal Handling: +2
Arcana: +0
Athletics: +5 (+2 from Expertise)
Deception: +4
History: +2
Insight: +4
Intimidation: +2
Investigation: +0
Medicine: +2
Nature: +0
Perception: +2
Performance: +2
Persuasion: +4
Religion: +0
Sleight of Hand: +5
Stealth: +5
Survival: +2

Features
Expertise [Class]: At 1st level, choose two of your skill proficiencies, or one of your skill proficiencies and your proficiency with thieves’ tools. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of the chosen
proficiencies. At 6th level, you can choose two more of your proficiencies (in skills or with thieves’ tools) to gain this benefit.
Sneak Attack [Class]: Beginning at 1st level, you know how to strike subtly and exploit a foe's distraction. Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an Attack if you have advantage on the Attack roll. The Attack must use a Finesse or a ranged weapon. You don't need advantage on the Attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't Incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the Attack roll. The amount of the extra damage increases as you gain levels in this class, as shown in the Sneak Attack column of the Rogue table.
Thieve's Cant [Class]: During your rogue Training you learned thieves' cant, a secret mix of dialect, jargon, and code that allows you to hide messages in seemingly normal conversation. Only another creature that knows thieves' cant understands such messages. It takes four times longer to convey such a Message than it does to speak the same idea plainly. In addition, you understand a set of secret signs and symbols used to convey short, simple messages, such as whether an area is dangerous or the territory of a thieves' guild, whether loot is nearby, or whether the people in an area are easy marks or will provide a safe house for thieves on the run.
Criminal Contact [Background]: You have a reliable and trustworthy contact who acts as your liaison to a network of other criminals. You know how to get messages to and from your contact, even over great distances; specifically, you know the local messengers, corrupt caravan masters, and seedy sailors who can deliver messages for you.
Defensive Duelist [Feat]: When you are wielding a finesse weapon with which you are proficient and another creature hits you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction to add your proficiency bonus to your AC for that attack, potentially causing the attack to miss you.
Empathetic [Feat]: You possess keen insight into how other people think and feel. You gain the following benefits: Increase your Wisdom score by 1, to a maximum of 20. You gain proficiency in the Insight skill. If you are already proficient in the skill, you add double your proficiency bonus to checks you make with it. You can use your action to try to get uncanny insight about one humanoid you can see within 30 feet of you. Make a Wisdom (Insight) check contested by the target's Charisma (Deception) check. If your check succeeds, you have advantage on attack rolls and ability checks against the target until the end of your next turn.

Armor Proficiency: Light Armor
Weapon Proficiency: Simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
Tools: Thieve's Tools, Weaver's Tools
Equipment:

Defining Traits:
Personality: Death is the last thing I fear. It doesn't matter how high the risk are, I will continue charging forward.
Ideals: Freedom. I will not be shackled by my others, or my own fate, and I will not accept those who try to control others.
Bonds: My mother is suffering because of me. The rest of my family look at her with scorn, and I hope to one day make up for all the trouble I've caused her somehow.
Flaw: If there’s a plan, I’ll forget it. If I don’t forget it, I’ll ignore it. I prefer to strike while the moment is still hot, and not wait around planning all day long.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 12, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Everything seemed to go well on young Johann's life. A former cabin boy taken from the streets of Khazadan by the Guild, he quickly learned his ways into the sea and soon became helmsman of the Seahawk, one of the largest and fastest new flutes in the whole merchant fleet of the guild and he made a promise to his fiance that he would marry her after the maiden voyage of the Seahawk brought him home. Yet he didn't knew how this would end. Unknowingly to Johann, the leaders of his lodge decided to dabble in the illegal slave trade, sending chained Highfolk brought from Vendalic lands to work on Dominion-owned mines. It was only when he saw the enslaved men and women being brought into the ship at Thule that he learned about the nefarious plan that his captain devised. He threatened to bring this matter to the higher ups of the Guild and other authorities if the Highfolk weren't released immediately, to which the captain and crew responded by wrapping him in chains and chucking him from the ship to drown at the sea.

As he drowned in the blue void, Johann's thoughts turned towards how the crew he considered as part of his family, the captain he respected as a mentor and the lodge which he pledged his loyalty to betrayed him and threw him aside like a fly. Such thoughts turned into a deep dark hatred and resentment, which called upon... Something. A dark force that reanimated his drowned corpse every time it passed out as he walked deep into the seafloor, the iron chains still around his body. It took several months for him to reach the coast of a Dominion owned island, where he found a former crewmember of the Seahawk alongside other members of another slaver ship moored at the local harbor. When the Dominion soldiers eventually managed to put him in chains and board him into the Ceaseless, he was the closest thing to a living creature at the harbor...

quote:

Name: Johann
Race: Human Revenant
Height: 6'2 (Medium)
Class: Hexblade Warlock 2
Alignment: CN
Background: Sailor
Culture: Margray
Languages: Common, Grunnish, Margray.

Hit Points: 19
Hit Dice: 1d8
Initiative: 2
AC: 13
Speed: 30 feet
Spell Attack Modifier: 6
Proficiency Bonus: +2

Strength: 11
Dexterity: 15
Constituion: 16
Intelligence:12
Wisdom: 14
Charisma: 18

Features:
Relentless Nature
Hex Warrior
Hexblade's Curse
Pact Magic

Feats:
War Caster

Cantrips: Eldritch Blast, True Strike
Spells Known: Wrathful Strike, Comprehend Languages, Armor of Agathys.
Slot Level: 1
Spell Slots: 2
Invocations Known: Burning Hex, Devil's Sight

Weapon Proficiency: Martial, Simple
Tools: Navigator Tools, Vehicles (water)
Equipment: Crossbow (20 Bolts), Arcane Focus, Leather Armor, Two Daggers, Dungeoneer's Pack. Mace, Belaying Pin, 50 feet of silk rope, lucky charm, common clothes, 10 gp.

Skills:

Acrobatics (dex) +2
Animal handling (Wis) +2
Arcana (int) +1
Athletics (str) +2
Deception (cha) +6
History (int) +1
Insight (Wis) +2
Intimidation (cha) +6
Investigation (int) +1
Medicine (Wis) +2
Nature (int) +1
Perception (Wis) +4
Performance (cha) +4
Persuasion (cha) +4
Religion (int) +1
Sleight of hand (dex) +2
Stealth (dex) +2
Survival (Wis) +2

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 13, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Rory FitzEachann, Heathish Folk Hero

Once nothing more than a smith in a tiny village a day's ride from Pretala, Rory always had a feeling that he was meant for something more. That feeling came to fruition when a hive of goblins, striking from the nearby cliffs and peaks, threatened all that he loved and held dear. Righteous anger, as well as equally righteous muscles, proved more than enough to slay the would-be chieftain — the blow from the logging axe quite literally splitting the monster in twain — and that moment of resistance rallied the men and women of his nameless hamlet to help him drive off the rest. It was not an easy fight, and many were lost, but Rory seemed to be everywhere as his axe flashed through air and goblinhide with equal ease.

Rory was the toast of the town for many weeks, but he all too soon felt the call of adventure. There were surely more who needed a man like him. More villages, more towns, more people in need! And, he resolved, he would be there for them. The smith closed his shop, doused the forge, and took only the essentials with him on his way. He'd find adventure, whether adventure was ready for him or not! His adventures on the way to the ports of Pretala were amusing, to be sure, if not challenging for someone starting to come into their own. This was as much a quirk of how imposing he was as it was his natural talent at martial matters.

Booking passage to parts unknown, he found himself captured and run afoul of the diabolical captain of the DNS Ceaseless. A smarter man may well have given up under such dire circumstances, but Rory FitzEachann? Perish the thought! He eagerly awaited his chance and joined wholeheartedly in the mutiny when the time came.

Rolled Stats: 7#4d6k3 17 17 15 15 15 9 8

Tricky fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 8, 2018

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Want to express interest in rolling some sort of bounty hunter or scout background Ranger since there are a few Goliath and Minotaurs already made. Will be updating as I draft this week.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

You've heard of the Dread Freewind, haven't you? Ahhh, of course you have, man's basically a living legend. Even though he was an outsider to the culture, he had an in with the COG well enough that they gave him a writ of safe conduct and an old schooner that was set to be scuttled otherwise, the ship he eventually took his 'professional' name after - The Freewind. He was told to make life miserable for the Dominion and the Empire. The Coggers figured he'd go out, be a thorn in their side for a couple of months and then get shot down in a failed raid or somesuch. The improbable happened though, not only did he survive, he thrived, returning to Vitrianata ever couple of months to drop off pillaged loot, usually in a bigger ship he pillaged from the squids. This went on for the better part of thirty years, making him one of the richest privateers in all of Uskara and one of the few who's taken the privilege of retiring.

Not many people know that last part. Most just assumed he finally got got by the squids or fell victim to one of the leviathans of the sea. He's got a landed estate on Magna Orna, away from the prying eyes of the other major factions.

As you can no doubt tell by the youth and the manacles holding me down in this blasted cage, I am not that man. I am however his son - or one of his sons, as it were. Turns out if you live the life he had for as long as he did, you leave a lot of bastards in your wake. Only a handful of us were ever actually acknowledged as his children, 12 still living currently by my last knowledge. That is both a blessing and a curse though. You see, the old man is doling out his will by merit. The greater your deeds and the more renown you gain, the better your inheritance gets. Also up for grabs when the old man croaks is the writ of safe conduct; turns out the Cogs wrote it in such a way that it doesn't expire with my father's death. With so much on the line it's no wonder all his children are at each other's necks. I think he likes it better that way, he was always a fan of 'survival of the fittest'.

With all of his potential airs all vying for inheritance, it's no wonder so many of us sought to prove our worth to follow in his footsteps. Without that writ from the Coggers though, we're nothing more than pirates and corsairs, outlaws with no home and no safe state. That's not our only concern though. Even more a threat than the Empire or Dominion looking to put a stop to these upstart Freewinds are my other siblings who don't hesitate to stab you in the back at the first opportunity. The latter is why you see me in these chains now.

My first voyage was to be a milk run, knocking over an empire merchant vessel set adrift from it's escorts after a raging storm, anchored not far from the coast a day's sail away. It turns out we were waylaid by my brother Dirk, the eldest of us, who intercepted me mere hours before arriving at our destination. Rather than kill his own brother outright, he instead crippled my ship, leaving it listing and ready to be captured when the merchant vessel's escorts caught up with it. I've been a captive ever since, being handed off from ship to ship, destination unknown.

I was never the sort to raise a blade against my brother before, but I'll tell you this though: Dirk better prepare himself. If I get off this ship and find him, I'm going to cut him stem to stern. The only answer for this betrayal is in blood.

That being said, I think I hear something going on topside. If something is going down, this might be our chance to get off this ship...

pre:
Name: Rust Freewind
Race: Human (variant)
Height: 6'0
Class: Fighter
Alignment:NE
Background: Pirate
Languages:Common, Ornassi, Grummish
Personality Trait: My friends know they can rely on me, no matter what.
Ideal: Aspiration. Someday I’ll own my own ship (again) and chart my own destiny.
Bond: My crew is the lifeblood by which I live or die
Flaw: My pride will probably lead to my destruction

Hit Points: 13
Hit Dice: 1d10
Initiative: 4
AC: 15
Speed: 30 feet
Proficiency Bonus: +2
Saving Throw proficiency: Strength, Stamina

Strength: 11
Dexterity: 18 (+1 Human +1 Quick Fingered)
Constituion: 16 (+1 Human)
Intelligence:14 
Wisdom: 14
Charisma: 15

Armor Proficiency: All armor, shields
Weapon Proficiency: Martial, Simple 
Tools: Navigator Tools, Vehicles (water)

Features:
Background - Bad Reputation: Can get away with minor criminal offenses
Fighting Style - Marksmanship: +2 Attack for ranged attacks
Second wind

Feats:
Crossbow Expert
Quick Fingered

Gear:
Leather armor
Heavy Crossbow and 20 bolts
Rapier
Explorer's pack
A silver skull the size of a coin (background trinket)
50' of silk rope
Belt pouch containing 10 gp

Acrobatics (dex) +6
Animal handling (Wis) +2
Arcana (int) +2
Athletics (str) +2
Deception (cha) +2
History (int) +2
Insight (Wis) +2
Intimidation (cha) +4
Investigation (int) +2
Medicine (Wis) +2
Nature (int) +2
Perception (Wis) +4
Performance (cha) +2
Persuasion (cha) +2
Religion (int) +2
Sleight of hand (dex) +6
Stealth (dex) +6
Survival (Wis) +2
Stats: 11, 5, 14, 15, 16, 14, 15

Dem stats tho.

I'm not married to being neutral evil, and was going to play it more of a mild evil (he's basically in it for the loot and infamy and family status) instead of a cackling captain planet villian. I could probably move him to true neutral to play more in line for a more good aligned party.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 8, 2018

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Not ready to make a sheet yet, but here are my stats:

Stats: 7#4d6k3 5 12 7 9 11 9 16

Ouch.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

"Brynjolf the Brute" aka "Brynjolf the Bone-Crusher"

"Loooords and Ladies, Boys and Girls, Children of all ages! This is the Fight you have all been waiting for! Two men enter, but only one man leaves as King Of The Ring!

"In the Blue Corner, a man who needs no introduction, the reigning champion and ultimate pugilist, 'MAD MAAAAAAAAN' McCONNELL!

"And over here in the Red Corner, tonight's Challenger. Weighing in at 23 stone, he's been fighting in the pits ever since he could throw a punch. They say he's a wild-man. They say he was abandoned in the woods as a baby. All we know is he's a stone-cold killer who's yet to lose a single match, and he's got his eyes on the prize, ladies and gentlemen. But does he have what it takes to topple the Champion and claim the title? Let's find out...

"Put your hands together and give it up for BRYNJOLF, The BOOOOOONE-CRUSHER!"

quote:

Name: Brynjolf
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Barbarian
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Background: Gladiator (Entertainer)
Languages: Common, Ornassi

Hit Points: 15 (12 + 3 Con)
Initiative: +2
AC: 15 (10 + 3 Con + 2 Dex)
Passive Perception: 10
Passive Investigation: 10
Saving Throw Profs: STR and CON.

Attributes
Strength: 17 (15 +1 Racial +1 Feat)
Dexterity: 14
Constitution: 16 (15 +1 Racial)
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 11
Charisma: 10

Skill Proficiency
Perception
Athletics
Acrobatics
Performance

Features
Rage [Class] - In battle you fight with primal ferocity.
Unarmored Defense [Class] - While you are not wearing any armor, your Armor Class equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Constitution modifier.
Gladiator [Background]: You can find a place to perform in any place that features combat for entertainment-perhaps a gladiatorial arena or secret pit fighting club.
Tavern Brawler [Feat] - See Tavern Brawler Feat
Grappler [Feat] - See Grappler Feat

Armor Proficiency: Light Armor, Medium Armor, Shields
Weapon Proficiency: Simple and martial weapons.
Tools: None.
Equipment: Handaxes x2, Explorer's Pack, Javelin x4, Net.
Traits:
Ideal:
Bond:
Flaw:

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 12, 2018

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Epicurius posted:

Not ready to make a sheet yet, but here are my stats:

Stats: 7#4d6k3 5 12 7 9 11 9 16

Ouch.

That feels worth a mulligan, feel free to roll again.

I am always surprised at how soon these fill up. I'm going to set Friday, May 11 as the day I intend to pick, still giving the rest of the week, but that way people aren't waiting too long to find out.

Some prompts and feedback on the completed submissions (background and sheet finished).

Tricky posted:

Seccacosantza Tolto
The House of Tolto, though not a great House, is still one of the Twenty-Seven. How many steps away are you from the original founder of the House? You would have the right to add that numeral as a suffix (stylized as IV or the like). As for the intrigues you are in, it's no certainty, but certainly Secca has an idea of who might want her removed from the court. What rival (or rivals) did she have that she could think capable of what has transpired? Or is her nature such that she did not hold such suspicions, and it is more likely those that were closest to her, in which case, who were her supposedly trusted friends at the time?

An entire revolt is a huge burden for a single man, not yet a hero, to take on. Were there others who were crucial to this? Do you feel you were manipulated or used? Many times these slave revolts are supported in secret by the Exchequer, or the Gendarmerie, or even well-meaning cults of the Drowned Ennead, but rarely is there material support, ending in failures much like this one. The tradition of arena combat is Hyklosian, and the minotaurs, who have intermingled and at times conquered the Ninevarine river-cities or Ornassi colonies, likely played a part. Did you have any exposure of note through them?

Waador posted:

Zeshoon Four
Was this all part of your plan? Being captured by a Dominion ship and nearly dying? Well, certainly not all of it, but what exactly brought you into the hold? Why was an agent of relatively little experience chosen for the job? You will certainly have a lot of flexibility in the crew of buccaneers you have joined, but what will happen if you are recalled? How deeply does your loyalty go? What kind of cover story do you intend to construct? As well, on your alignment, does your character really prize individual freedom? They are certainly unpredictable, but I think they feel more True Neutral, the most flexible of ethos, rather than a commitment to the idea of individual freedom.

I noticed you pick a numeral suffix. Do you consider yourself an aristocrat? Do you belong to one of the Twenty-Seven Houses of Balor? I appreciate a little mystery about who you were before you were a gendarme, but I'm curious a little bit just how deep that goes.

As a 1st-level character, it was unlikely that Mazhar played the exact role of say, an Iron Bull in charge of a full company, but likely you served alongside the real commanders and learned their craft over time. I actually appreciate the unanswered questions of what precisely was the intention of their being sent as an spy, but I would like to hear more about his capture. What brought him before the Dominion, and why did they decide he was worth settling in their penal colony of New Haints? Obviously he is a fine physical specimen, but they are cunning creatures that only take opportunities if they feel they can get away with them, especially in times of peace.

What did the blessing of the Summer Queen grant you that was so crucial in the mutiny? You say that swearing your soul to the Archfey would not blacken your soul, and perhaps she was no fiend or eldritch being, but the fey are beings that demand much of the world. What do you fear might be the price of her aid in this time of great need? You have mentioned to me your interest in the Pact of the Chain: What sort of story are you interested in exploring through the familiar as a gift from your patron?

TheNabster posted:

Quill Scribbling
This is not simply a voyage of curious adventurers. It will be a motley crew of mariners that take on ships of the line, delve deep into political intrigue, and perhaps get involved in some skullduggery along the way. What do you think about the lifestyle will keep Quill in? Will there have to be some external reason, or is the natural kenku inclination to fall into a flock enough? And someone as learned as you knows that the Dominion doesn't act like common pirates and attack any merchant ship on the dragon-lanes, there must be some particular reason that the ship you were on was targeted. Do you have a theory?

TheFireMagi posted:

Kyna tir Vaandrel
You have not chosen the life before you, but it speaks to one's true soul if they accept it. The opportunity will come where you can return to the life you were pulled from. What is going to keep you back, and make you committed to the life of not just a mariner, but a buccaneer? And perhaps most importantly, with this lifestyle, there will be a lot of grim choices. What is the boundaries your character would set for themselves, and the boundaries they would set for others? What would compel them to continue to see hope?

Note, I see you haven't filled in your Alignment, it feels with your obedience and principles that Lawful Good would be a good fit.

Plutonis posted:

Johann Seahawk
You were inducted at the age of sixteen by the Ordinaries and given the secret name of Marrlandr Hrist, and inducted officially as part of the Lodge of Seahawk. In addition to the Grunnish of the people you were taken from, you know the secret language of the dwarves, Margray. It is unusual for the dwarves to induct someone so young. What about you made you special to the grandmaster of the lodge? Why did your death sting for them, even as they betrayed you? What is the name of the man who sealed your fate with quill and wax, not the secret one shared in the rite (Marrlandr Azadun) but the one the world knows them by, and you will make sure is cursed aloud? You also get a free Feat.

Could you elaborate a bit on the choice of alignment, what do you feel makes him such a wild, unpredictable spirit, in his quest for vengeance? And what is the form of weapon that you feel best embodies the king of vengeance you want to wreak upon the Lodge of Seahawk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

♪Ranka Volyn♪

The Shava are proud of their history, what little of it remains avaliablr to them. Ranka Volyn was proud to be a part of her people, proud of her craftwork in keeping the rafts together ,and proud of her extraneous duties. The Clan isn't particularly fond of allowing outsiders among them, but on occasion need requires they transport some wanderers in exchange for gold. This is where Ranka comes in.

The sacrificial lamb of the Clan, Ranka's job is to head out into the world, braving the corrupting influences of the cities, to hunt down those "guests" who decide that the Shava don't deserve to keep the artifacts of their past. For the most part Ranka's track record was spotless, a few coordinated efforts had managed to secure some minor trinkets, but the vast majority of anything stolen under her watch had been recovered.

Ranka's last run, before fate decided to set her down her current path, had been particualrly quick to finish with. A human bumpkin had been tempted by a gold trimmed goblet, but he'd barely managed to get a few miles from the river before Ranka's cudgel smashed in his knee. Having recovered their heritage, Ranka headed to the rendezvous to rejoin the Clan.

Ranka was slightly confused to learn that the Clan had taken on a new guest just after they'd been robbed not a day ago, but after seeing the pile of gold the stranger had offered, she set aside her qualms. Trust as it was proving was a massive mistake. In the middle of the night a blood curdling scream rang out, an echo of it rattling through every one of the Ghostwise's minds alerting them to the death of kin. A horde of halflings, knives in hand, came running, but it was too late. The thief had been caught just as they were departing with a severed portion of the raft and dealt a lethal blow to the one trying to stop them.

The thief taker's job was not a thing set in stone, some objects simply couldn't be recovered, and the taker could return home with their head held high even if they didn't manage to recover everything. A murder of kin though? That was unprecedented and required an answer. Ranka stuck around long enough to witness her kin buried in the water and to say a quick goodbye and then she left everything she loved behind.

It's been years since Ranka was set on the path of vengeance, and only recently has she managed to catch up with her mark. It'd cost Ranka coin and favors from contacts she'd made over the years, but the bait was set. Rumors had begun to mill out about a Ghostwise runaway wanting to trade her family relics for the coin to establish her new life, and it seemed that the mark had taken the bait.

Ranka would love to spin a tale over how she'd managed to single handedly take down the thief and triumphantly returned to her people with relics in hand, but she wasn't much of a liar. So much time among the criminal aspects of society and even society at large had been a corrupting influence. When the thief and his men found Ranka, she was several cups "for the nerves" deep. It didn't take them much to beat her down and capture her. Strings were pulled, papers signed, and the pest who'd foiled many noble's plots to get their hands on elusive chunks of history to show off to their acquaintances, was set to be delivered to the DNS Ceasless' hold.

The last few days had been hazy, a concussion piled on top of a hangover doing Ranka no favors. Early on in the Ceaseless' journey, Ranka was pretty unaware of the plans for a mutiny to occur, but soom after her first time speaking mind to mind with her neighbors, it became clear that she could be used as a relay for orders across the mutinous conspiracy.

All things told it could have gone worse. Sure the mutiny was a great success, but the fact that the ship was sunk not days later was kind of a let down. For now Ranka is just happy she'd managed to make like a bilge rat and hit the shore. Now she just needed to find some other folk that were still alive.

pre:
Name: Ranka Volyn
Race: Ghostwise Halfling
Class: Monk 1 (Drunken Master)
Proficiency: +2
Alignment: Bitter Drunk (Neutral bordering Lawful Neutral)
Background: Bounty Hunter
Culture: Nimhi

HP: 9/9
Ki: 0/0
AC: 19
Speed: 25

Attributes:
STR: 10 (+0) 
DEX: 20 (+5) 
CON: 13 (+1)
INT: 14 (+2)
WIS: 18 (+4)
CHA: 11 (+0)

Skill profs: 
Acrobatics +7 (Monk)
History +4 (Monk)
Insight +6 (Bounty Hunter)
Stealth +7 (Bounty Hunter)
Investigation +4 (Feat)
Survival +6 (Feat)

Save profs: Strength & Dexterity.

Weapons: Simple + shortswords

Tools: 
Carpenter's Tools (Feat)
Woodcarver's Tools (Monk)
Thieves' tools (Bounty Hunter)
Flute(Bounty Hunter)

Languages: Common, Nimhi, Sintali.

Feats: 
Skilled: Gain proficiency in Carpentry, Investigation, and Survival.

Features: 
Race
Lucky: Roll a 1 on an attack/ability/save roll, re-roll once.
Brave: Advantage of saves vs being frightened.
Halfling Nimbleness: Can move through spaces of creatures larger than me.
Silent Speech- 30' telepathy with creatures that share a language.

Class
Unarmored Defense: AC= 10+dex+wis mods.
Martial Arts: Dex for attack math. Bonus actions to hit people.

Background: 
Ear to the ground: Have contacts in the criminal underground in any city I visit.

Personality Traits:
I find actions speak louder than words, but I'll always give someone a chance to talk.

If you injure a clan member, nothing in this world will stop me from finding you.

Ideal: 
The Shava have little left of our culture, we must seize all of it that we can.

Bond:
The raft can always be fixed, but crew lives are irreplaceable.

Flaw:
I've spent too long away from the clan, I'm easily tempted by the finer things on land.

Equipment:
Traveller's Clothes (Bounty Hunter)
20 1.98 gp (Bounty Hunter)
Quarterstaff (Monk)
Explorer's Pack (Monk)
10 Darts (Monk)
Flask (Bought)
Carpenter's Tools (Bought) 
Woodcarver's Tools (Bought)
Healer's Kit (Bought)
Manacles (Bought)

First set of rolls was completely medioce, I got discord approval for a mulligan: 11, 10, 11, 13, 11, 11, 11

Re-statting: 14, 10, 13, 11, 18, 17, 9

Assigned
Str: 10
Dex: 18 +2 racial
Con: 13
Int: 14
Wis: 17 + 1 racial
Cha 11

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 12, 2018

• Locked thread