Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

that ivy guy posted:

This actually seems like something that someone could accidentally figure out with enough time in the game. Eventually you'll end up killing a boss within one minute (probably with Azazel). The subtle mom yell isn't as subtle as it seems. This spurs an investigation, and if you're super observant, you notice a weirdly shaped shadow in the spawn room is swaying, something none of the other shadow effects do.

Yeah this is far less annoying than the initial Lost unlock. Having to bomb the exact center of the starting room is a bit obtuse but aside from that I can actually imagine someone figuring this one out on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So I bought this about a year ago and played for 45 minutes on my PC and refunded it. I picked it up again today, this time on the Switch, and holy moly does nesting into the couch and playing hand held make a big difference.

On my fourth of fifth run I got a Brimstone laser beam upgrade on the first floor and then exploded everything between me and Mom, including Mom. One of the runs I got an upgrade that made my tears spiral around me, then I combined that with rainbow tears. That was a wild ride. This game's loving rad and I can't wait to play more and see what else is in store for me to tinker with! :D

Quick Q: does completing challenges unlock new items, characters, etc?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Wildtortilla posted:

Quick Q: does completing challenges unlock new items, characters, etc?

Each challenge unlocks something. Some items, some trinkets, some pills, runes or cards. IIRC none of them unlock new characters. Characters are unlocked in the main game by completing various actions (complete floors without taking red heart damage, taking a certain number of devil deals in a run, having a certain number of red heart containers or coins for example). Various other actions in the main game (getting to certain milestones, killing certain bosses) also unlock more items.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The new character looks appealing but the only way for me to kill the first boss is as Azazel but he doesn't start with a bomb.

Still it is a 75% success rate for getting the handle. I'm going to count on getting Pyromaniac or Host Hat in order to finish the challenge. I'm just not good enough anymore.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

The new character looks appealing but the only way for me to kill the first boss is as Azazel but he doesn't start with a bomb.

Still it is a 75% success rate for getting the handle. I'm going to count on getting Pyromaniac or Host Hat in order to finish the challenge. I'm just not good enough anymore.

I did it with Eve, if that helps. You need a character with damage in order to get the kill fast enough; after that you're just doing a normal speedrun with bombs going off every once in a while.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
Is Booster pack 5 and the new character available on the Switch version yet?

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

MussoliniB posted:

Is Booster pack 5 and the new character available on the Switch version yet?

No, and it's unknown when that's going to happen.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
How is one expected to collect items surrounded by pits? Is there a way to fly or pull items to you? I'm getting frustrated by piles of golden poo poo surrounded by holes. There are so many coins going to waste!!

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Those are just random; those squares could be any number of a selection of things. And yes, there's ways to fly and to fill in pits, you're unlikely not to notice them when they come up.

Edit: To clarify about the first part of my post: The preset room layouts often have special squares, which could be many things; like a line of rocks barring you from treasure, but one specific rock has a chance to be a poop, allowing you entry, or a keyblock so you have to pay a key to get in. Often the golden poops in annoying places are one of those. A place that has a 60% chance to be an empty block, a 35% chance to be a rock or what have you, and a 5% chance to be a golden poop, for taunting purposes. One of the main reasons flight is useful is the ability to actually grab your extra loot.

Further edit: This entire system was broken for the majority of the game's existence, up until I believe the Afterbirth+ expansion. Edmund McMillen, the developer, just never noticed it wasn't working, and other people looking at the room data just assumed it was a cut feature.

John Lee fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 5, 2018

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

John Lee posted:

Those are just random; those squares could be any number of a selection of things. And yes, there's ways to fly and to fill in pits, you're unlikely not to notice them when they come up.

Edit: To clarify about the first part of my post: The preset room layouts often have special squares, which could be many things; like a line of rocks barring you from treasure, but one specific rock has a chance to be a poop, allowing you entry, or a keyblock so you have to pay a key to get in. Often the golden poops in annoying places are one of those. A place that has a 60% chance to be an empty block, a 35% chance to be a rock or what have you, and a 5% chance to be a golden poop, for taunting purposes. One of the main reasons flight is useful is the ability to actually grab your extra loot.

Further edit: This entire system was broken for the majority of the game's existence, up until I believe the Afterbirth+ expansion. Edmund McMillen, the developer, just never noticed it wasn't working, and other people looking at the room data just assumed it was a cut feature.

It was working in the developer build, but not in the ones they released, so nobody noticed for years.

The worst replacer rooms are the ones in (flooded) caves where you can bomb a rock to create a small bridge across pits, but they randomly replace the rock with either another pit or a cobweb.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Can anyone help me out trying to reinstall Antibirth? I uninstalled Afterbirth, ran the exe, and created a new folder for antibirth but trying to play it just gives me vanilla Rebirth

EDIT: Nvm, running as administrator worked

Jibo posted:

All I run is External Item Descriptions, Forever Blessed (everyone start's with Eden's Blessing), and the mod that makes tinted rocks white. They all work.

It also turns out that what I thought was compatibility issues was actually just Steam really wanting to delete my download cache for some reason. Mods worked fine after that

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 5, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wugga posted:

Yeah this is far less annoying than the initial Lost unlock. Having to bomb the exact center of the starting room is a bit obtuse but aside from that I can actually imagine someone figuring this one out on their own.

I can't. If you're sprinting fast enough to kill the boss inside a minute, why would you then return to the starting room?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I don't think it's a very fun challenge, but over the past several years I've come to realize Isaac isn't supposed to be a fun game.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Jedit posted:

I can't. If you're sprinting fast enough to kill the boss inside a minute, why would you then return to the starting room?

Because Mom yells, and you hear footsteps. If you then sprint into the next floor, that sound stops, and leaves you going "what was that? I dunno, file that mystery away for later" and finish that run. And then the next time you hear Mom yelling at the start of a run, you stop and consider, and you hear the footsteps, and you investigate around.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I killed Mom's Heart for the first time this morning. I did it while taking a poo poo. That's an appropriate way to play this game considering the asthetic, right?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Wildtortilla posted:

I killed Mom's Heart for the first time this morning. I did it while taking a poo poo. That's an appropriate way to play this game considering the asthetic, right?

I play on a desktop so I've never played Isaac while making GBS threads, and now I feel like I've been missing out.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

AAAAHHHHH!
Trying to unlock Forgotten, I was playong as Isaac and restarting over and over with the D6 trying to make my first item Host Hat or Pyromaniac.
TWICE I saw Host Hat but accidentally rerolled it.

After about 20 minutes of this process I almost gave up until I got Pyro and the only room with an enemy had one Plop and the boss was Pin.
Super easy get!

Forgotten rules. I'm having a lot of fun with him.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Cleared almost everything bar Mega Stan with the Forgotten. He's a really duder to run once he starts rolling and strikes a nice balance of being fairly easy like Azazel while not being easy mode. Forgotten really makes up for the excessive trickiness of The Keeper.

Wildtortila posted:

I killed Mom's Heart for the first time this morning.

I used to really struggle with Isaac early on, to the point where getting to the depths was a good run. It really made hitting mile stones like a mom or moms heart kill feel so great early on before becoming just part of a typical run and you can start doing it consistently. Isaac might be a slog at times but it tends to make achieving things feel really earned.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Slowly unlocking new items and getting better starts (and bloated item pools) is a great feeling too. The first time I got a Death's touch after finishing waka-waka I was all "run over, go home, easy game".

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Can you earn anything on a victory lap?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I am nursing a 5 heart container Ultra Hard challenge with placenta, ludovico technique, and shielded tears. Got 4.43 damage and a walking on sunshine pill.

Now here's the dilemma. In the first room for the dark room I got guppy's collar and paw. Do I cash in my heart containers for max soul and go for mega satan or explore the rest of the dark room hoping to get more items?

Also I have infamy. And I've been nursing the run for 3.5 hours because of placenta.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Inzombiac posted:

Can you earn anything on a victory lap?

Nothing besides the victory lap specific achievements (they go as high as finish 3, start a fourth). Used to be you could save&quit and restart the game to allow achievements, but it was patched out.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
gently caress, went exploring and got killed by a double dark ones room.

What am I resetting for to cheese ultra hard? Tech X and then some luck?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

gently caress, went exploring and got killed by a double dark ones room.

What am I resetting for to cheese ultra hard? Tech X and then some luck?

Usually I go for anything that is generally good (most damage ups, broken poo poo like ipecac or tech x, poo poo that provides near-infinite health like satanic bible or prayer card, all stat ups, tears ups). Then if I don't get the devil room in the basement or the devil room items are poo poo, I reset (except for having like the really broken thing like tech x). If you just reset for the brokenest poo poo in the first treasure room, then it takes too long - the item pools are just too big.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DontMockMySmock posted:

Usually I go for anything that is generally good (most damage ups, broken poo poo like ipecac or tech x, poo poo that provides near-infinite health like satanic bible or prayer card, all stat ups, tears ups). Then if I don't get the devil room in the basement or the devil room items are poo poo, I reset (except for having like the really broken thing like tech x). If you just reset for the brokenest poo poo in the first treasure room, then it takes too long - the item pools are just too big.

Ended up grinding it out with a Satanic bible and a battery baby. That gave me enough survivability to take devil deals that got me brimestone, a brimestone baby and an incubus. Blood rain everywhere, it was great.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

So I'm a bit frustrated right now because the latest update introduced a bunch of achievements that I've definitely already done ten times over but hasn't given me credit for. Right now I need to pick up the blood clot at most 9 more times and rubber cement at most 4 more times, sleep in beds at most 8 more times, and kill myself with ipecac. These are achievements which would introduce items organically as I accomplished completion marks and stuff, if the achievements had existed from when I started this game. But now I'm just sitting here wondering how the gently caress to grind out blood clot 9 loving times, jesus gently caress.

(also wondering how do I stop caring about whether or not I have 100% completion in this game)

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Foglet posted:

Did someone kill and replace Edmund cause if so well done, mate, good job (even if you could've done it somewhat earlier)

If this game is any indicator that wouldn't be possible because Edmund would spawn little smaller Edmunds that have as much HP as he does and spawn them at a faster rate than your DPS can keep up with.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

DontMockMySmock posted:

So I'm a bit frustrated right now because the latest update introduced a bunch of achievements that I've definitely already done ten times over but hasn't given me credit for. Right now I need to pick up the blood clot at most 9 more times and rubber cement at most 4 more times, sleep in beds at most 8 more times, and kill myself with ipecac. These are achievements which would introduce items organically as I accomplished completion marks and stuff, if the achievements had existed from when I started this game. But now I'm just sitting here wondering how the gently caress to grind out blood clot 9 loving times, jesus gently caress.

(also wondering how do I stop caring about whether or not I have 100% completion in this game)

Tbere is something deeply wrong with how the game flags achievements.
The latest update finally gave me 12 that I had done a LONG time ago but won't give me others.

I've stopped caring at all about getting RPG again.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Blood clot at least is fairly common in the white item room in greed mode, you can reset and grab it a bunch fairly easily. Still dumb though.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

5 Rubber cement and 10 Blood clots are the worst, because you can't just completely break the game to get them. You can tarot cloth+blank rune an endless amount of chests in the chest and find two technologies for Tech Zero, and you can restock+2 steam sales for the Jumper cables.
I guess you can greed mode for blood clot, but rubber cement is going to suck rear end.

At least you can just start greed mode, hold down left button and if there's no bed in the curse room, reset.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

I'm extremely thankful to have already gotten "1000000%" on Steam even though my save file now retroactively isn't really 100%. Puts the pressure off scooping up these achievements that were hastily ported.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
How can one find what the requirements are for the remaining (new) achievements?

I did some runs yesterday to unlock the Forgotten and then a few runs with him, so that unlocked a few stuff including items from previous booster packs (like the broken modem, hairpin, moving box, jumper cables, bozo, butter etc) ... But the achievements page does not show much info on what to do for the remaining (about 28, 9 of which are "hidden") and I don't think the wiki is updated yet.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 7, 2018

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Not that anyone else was going to think this, but using Plan C as The Forgotten and then changing which half you're playing as does not save you from dying.

(nor did it save final form Mega Satan from dying, I didn't just tank a run for no reason)

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Has Edmund said if the Switch is going to get The Forgotten or what

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Mons Hubris posted:

Has Edmund said if the Switch is going to get The Forgotten or what

I think he said the plan was to port the rest of the booster pack content after the final one (which is the current one) came out.
This is a recent tweet that I could find.

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/972050836716101633

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

AbstractNapper posted:

How can one find what the requirements are for the remaining (new) achievements?

I did some runs yesterday to unlock the Forgotten and then a few runs with him, so that unlocked a few stuff including items from previous booster packs (like the broken modem, hairpin, moving box, jumper cables, bozo, butter etc) ... But the achievements page does not show much info on what to do for the remaining (about 28, 9 of which are "hidden") and I don't think the wiki is updated yet.

The wiki actually is up to date: https://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Achievements
largely thanks to the fact that most of these were already implemented in the Switch.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

that ivy guy posted:

The wiki actually is up to date: https://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Achievements
largely thanks to the fact that most of these were already implemented in the Switch.

oh, ok, you're right. I went directly to the item's pages, which don't mention unlock requirements (as of yet anyway), but that consolidated achievements page seems to be what I'm looking for.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

AbstractNapper posted:

I think he said the plan was to port the rest of the booster pack content after the final one (which is the current one) came out.
This is a recent tweet that I could find.

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/972050836716101633

Awesome, thanks

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think I'm gonna go for 100%. Unless 100% requires 3 100% save files, then I'm gonna go for 99.9%.

I keep coming back to this game when I finish up other games. Greatest game of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I think I'm gonna go for 100%. Unless 100% requires 3 100% save files, then I'm gonna go for 99.9%.

I keep coming back to this game when I finish up other games. Greatest game of all time.

It does require it across 3 different same files. Yes, it is moronic.