Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Also, while I'm ranting: Jack Billings and Jack Newnes need to get the gently caress out of the AFL.

E: To expand on this poo poo post, Newnes has had 4 tackles in total this year and Billings is the worst shot at goal in the league (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-06/who-is-the-worst-kick-for-goal). BIllings is easily one of the most mentally weak players I've ever seen. He's also the new poster boy for the drafting rule that you should never draft a player with a top pick that can't consistently win at least 40% contested ball in their underage years.

Periphery fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

I thought the Saints had a great young list, primed to mount a challenge in the next couple of years, and that my Eagles had incompetent recruitment and the sports worst ever midfield

Never listen to my posts

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Saints are experiencing the difficulty of a development coach now having to move into a results based environment.

If they sack the coach they will gently caress their list cos the new guy will always come in wanting to throw the baby out with the bathwater so he can put his stamp on things. Bring in new senior assistants imo

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

People who hate themselves enough to watch Brisbane matches, how has Charlie looked this season?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

snaeksikn posted:

Saints are experiencing the difficulty of a development coach now having to move into a results based environment.

If they sack the coach they will gently caress their list cos the new guy will always come in wanting to throw the baby out with the bathwater so he can put his stamp on things. Bring in new senior assistants imo

That's probably a good option since they gave Richo an extension and most of the senior assistants have been at the club for 4+ years. Either way something big has to change. Either you turf coaches or you turf players and start the rebuild over again.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Chairchucker posted:

People who hate themselves enough to watch Brisbane matches, how has Charlie looked this season?

Sometimes he looks like he stole Eddie's magic and took it with him. Other times you forget he's playing. Overall, pretty decent considering playing as a forward at the Lions can be atough gig if they are struggling.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

snaeksikn posted:

Sacking the coach worked okay for the dogs in a similar position, although increasingly it’s looking like that was lightning striking four weeks running

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Melbourne are the only team in the top 11 who doesn't play another top 11 side next week. The remaining 7 crab clubs play each other.

The top 4 will either start to separate, or there will be a real log jam of clubs on 20 points.

Melbourne could very realistically jump to 5th.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
So apparently Daniher and McDonald-Tipungwuti are both playing injured and have done so from the start of the season. I hope both of them are told to take a break and get healthy now the season is essentially over.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Windmill Hut posted:

Melbourne are the only team in the top 11 who doesn't play another top 11 side next week. The remaining 7 crab clubs play each other.

The top 4 will either start to separate, or there will be a real log jam of clubs on 20 points.

Melbourne could very realistically jump to 5th.

alternatively we lose

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

The lesson is to never bottom out. It never works

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Sacking the coach worked okay for the dogs in a similar position, although increasingly it’s looking like that was lightning striking four weeks running

It won't change anything. The problem is the culture and the culture is run from board-level. You look at the history of the club over the last three decades and it's obvious that changing coaches has at most an ephemeral effect over a couple of seasons. If they're lucky, the Saints get a couple of good players who can inspire another ten to play well and the Saints move up the ladder, then the coach gets sacked or the players trade up to a better club and it's back to square one. If push comes to shove the board will always gently caress over the coach because they don't care as long as the club is making bucks: you cannot explain such determined mediocrity over that period of time otherwise. It's why I call the club the best training club in the league because they're either training players to leave or coaches to leave, they never attract big players from other clubs, its always one way traffic.

Until you shift that mindset from the board and management level, nothing will change.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

gay picnic defence posted:

So apparently Daniher and McDonald-Tipungwuti are both playing injured and have done so from the start of the season. I hope both of them are told to take a break and get healthy now the season is essentially over.

They should both take a week off.

Heppel too.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 6, 2018

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Here is my annual post complaining about how bad the ios afl app is

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

realbez posted:

Here is my annual post complaining about how bad the ios afl app is

if you pause or try to back out of a video on Android it locks up your phone for a few seconds and then crashes

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

strap on revenge posted:

if you pause or try to back out of a video on Android it locks up your phone for a few seconds and then crashes

😐

I wish they would just fix its obvious issues instead of constantly adding more buggy features and ignoring them. I use it a lot - it is useful - but it is so loving frustrating. A session of using it usually means mutiple hard closes and starting again.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Periphery posted:

That's probably a good option since they gave Richo an extension and most of the senior assistants have been at the club for 4+ years. Either way something big has to change. Either you turf coaches or you turf players and start the rebuild over again.

well what it comes back to for mine is what did st kilda see in richo in the first place and what has changed since then? they've built the list around his vision so it would be better to take a positive mindset in trying to support him as best as possible, otherwise everything will have been a waste if they give him the chop, bring in a new philosophy and destabilise a list already lacking in confidence. richo's challenge is going from an 'showing intent is enough' development style to evolve that into a 'near enough isn't good enough' attitude of a coach expecting finals wins, but the saints committed to him for a reason. their salary cap isn't hosed and astute recruiting will make a big difference to the top end talent they lack. they need some good half backs on the list as well i reckon, but ill admit i dont watch the saints too closely.

there wasnt a lot to learn about the demons today as most of the momentum was dictated by st kilda's lack of finishing skills, but its the best game ive seen brayshaw play so far, and some of olivers handballs were ridiculous. lewis actually had a good game without any brain fades that i spotted, and lever has put together a very tight last few weeks as he settles into the side.

snaeksikn fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 6, 2018

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

well what it comes back to for mine is what did st kilda see in richo in the first place and what has changed since then? they've built the list around his vision so it would be better to take a positive mindset in trying to support him as best as possible, otherwise everything will have been a waste if they give him the chop, bring in a new philosophy and destabilise a list already lacking in confidence. richo's challenge is going from an 'showing intent is enough' development style to evolve that into a 'near enough isn't good enough' attitude of a coach expecting finals wins, but the saints committed to him for a reason. their salary cap isn't hosed and astute recruiting will make a big difference to the top end talent they lack. they need some good half backs on the list as well i reckon, but ill admit i dont watch the saints too closely.

there wasnt a lot to learn about the demons today as most of the momentum was dictated by st kilda's lack of finishing skills, but its the best game ive seen brayshaw play so far, and some of olivers handballs were ridiculous. lewis actually had a good game without any brain fades that i spotted, and lever has put together a very tight last few weeks as he settles into the side.

5 of our last 6 at Etihad , welcome to the deelands.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Paddy mccartin really does look very very heavy, like I know he has diabetes, but his current body shape can’t be great for his ability to run the ground.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

some players are just natural doughboys though, like jeremy mcgovern. doesnt necessarily impact on their ability on the ground.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
While Paddy needs to work on his aerobic capacity since it was never a strong suit of his, I don't think it's his biggest issue. His biggest issue is the Saints pathetic entries inside 50 that are a result of terrible ball movement and the fact that they refuse to play even numbers in offence. He barely gets any 1v1 contests because we either move the ball too slowly allowing the defence to become crowded, or if he does get a 1v1, the kick is a high ball placed on his head or to his disadvantage (which often allows the 2nd defender to make the contest).

I don't think any forward would look good at the Saints at the moment.

One thing that is worrying me a bit with Paddy is that he's been dropping some easy marks and quite a few somewhat harder ones where he gets both hands on. I don't know if it's a case of him not being fit enough yet and the fatigue effecting his marking or if he's really not as good of a mark as he was touted as.

In short: The Saints are hosed, football is the worst and the only thing more certain than death is the fact that I wont see a Saints flag before I die.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I don't mind the iOS app.

Because my phone isn't actually capable of running any apps.

And the browser is trash that I can't be bothered using.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Periphery posted:

If I didn't think it was the coaches loving everything up, then I'd have to conclude that the rebuild has failed and that they should start again. But I have no idea how you'd do that. The Saints have been hoarding salary cap space for 4+ years and, from my understanding, are at the stage where they HAVE to spend it or they'll lose some of the bonus you get from underspending. But no big names would be stupid enough to come to the Saints, so what do you do? Offer massive overs for high draft pick Melbourne players that got drafted interstate and hope that you can shake some loose? Good luck with that if you are playing like poo poo - particularly when most of the interstate teams are looking half decent.

Shits loving hosed.
Here is the thing though, looking at our actual list demographic the reality is we are'nt even close to finishing the current rebuild letalone starting a new one. Despite 5 years of turning the list over we are still in the bottom 4 of the comp for both age and experience across the list. The abhorrent drafting and trading prior to 2011 has set us up for this badly by denying us a good spread of 27yo+ players who are playing prime football AND have the experience to back up those around them.
I think we need to curb expectations about properly contesting for another year or two until the list is actually sitting in an area that statistically can be competitive.

As for right now its a combination of two things, coaching structures are not being adhered to due to either them being bad in the first place or the players just not putting in the effort AND just a general lack of effort and confidence. The first one seems to really be only fixable with new coaches being brought in and the second I believe can only be fixed with psychologists coming in and literally sitting the players down and trying to get their head's switched back around the right way.

We had 4 players today each with less then 10 games to their name. Thats going to be a hard sell no matter which way you go about it.

Nutsngum fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 6, 2018

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Nutsngum posted:

Here is the thing though, looking at our actual list demographic the reality is we are'nt even close to finishing the current rebuild letalone starting a new one. Despite 5 years of turning the list over we are still in the bottom 4 of the comp for both age and experience across the list. The abhorrent drafting and trading prior to 2011 has set us up for this badly by denying us a good spread of 27yo+ players who are playing prime football AND have the experience to back up those around them.
I think we need to curb expectations about properly contesting for another year or two until the list is actually sitting in an area that statistically can be competitive.

As for right now its a combination of two things, coaching structures are not being adhered to due to either them being bad in the first place or the players just not putting in the effort AND just a general lack of effort and confidence. The first one seems to really be only fixable with new coaches being brought in and the second I believe can only be fixed with psychologists coming in and literally sitting the players down and trying to get their head's switched back around the right way.

We had 4 players today each with less then 10 games to their name. Thats going to be a hard sell no matter which way you go about it.

Except overall the Saints were older than the Dees this week (24yr 10mo compared to 24yr 7mo). Also, while the Saints on the whole were slightly less experienced, they had less players with under 50 games experience (7 compared to 10). The Dees also had 2 players with under 10 games experience and one with only 13.

While I'm not arguing that the Saints are a young and inexperienced side in general I don't think that really explains what we are seeing now. I pretty much agree with the points in your 2nd paragraph bout those being the main causes for the poor performance so far, I just don't think we can really put it down to age and inexperience.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Look on the bright side, at least you’re only stagnating and not going backwards:negative:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

Look on the bright side, at least you’re only stagnating and not going backwards:negative:

They’ve gone a fair bit backwards imo

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Solemn Sloth posted:

They’ve gone a fair bit backwards imo

I agree, they looked to be building something the last few seasons, showing glimpses, but the wheels have now just totally come off.

Speaking of the wheels coming off, Freo were bad yesterday. I was at the game, and boy did the young guys go into their shells, hesitate, and have a massive drop in intensity from the week before. I didn't think the Tigers were particularly great, but their gameplan is rock solid at this point, everyone knows what they're doing and what their teammates are doing, and they just rolled over Freo without much worry. But Fyfe was clearly BOG.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Nutsngum posted:

so did west coast

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

put both hands in posted:

so did west coast

The cats have had that most games this season. Kelly, Henry, Fogarty, Cunico, Ratugolea. We have had at least 4 of those guys in every game so far.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I am truly shocked that it turns out the umpire 2 feet away had a better view of what happened with Hogan and Carlisle than the camera which was pointed directly at Hogan’s back

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Freo had 13 with less than 50 games play on the weekend, 6 with 11 or less games.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
Ben Long fractured his foot and will be out for 8-10 weeks. It just keeps getting better.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

boy undead posted:

Ben Long fractured his foot and will be out for 8-10 weeks. It just keeps getting better.

Oh gently caress this.

At this point I wouldn't really care if we lost our older players to injury and just went full youth for a year, but losing young players to injury just sucks.

BOO football, BOO!

Also, I'd like to echo the thoughts that the Saints have definitely gone backwards in almost every way this year.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

hiddenmovement posted:

The cats have had that most games this season. Kelly, Henry, Fogarty, Cunico, Ratugolea. We have had at least 4 of those guys in every game so far.

I would guess most clubs have something similar. The Crows have been playing three players with less than ten games experience for the past month too (Doedee, Gallucci, Fogarty and Poholke in various combinations).

Generally speaking, unless you've got half a side full of players like that, the more telling factor is how the mid-level guys are going, the ones on 50-100 games. If they've taken the next step your team will usually be competitive, but otherwise it's tough.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

put both hands in posted:

so did west coast

Im meaning it exasperates the issue. If the other 18 are playing well you can get away with it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Bulldogs were obscenely inexperienced on the weekend. Games played was 1172 and average age was 22y 218d while the Suns had a full year on a half on us and 1575 games played. Our four oldest players were Suckling, Wallis, Dahlhaus and Johannisen who are 29 and 25 respectively

edit: I don't know if I should be annoyed that Aaron Naughton is getting absolutely zero recognition of having a really good season so far. He's also having to actually hold down a spot as our second tall instead of getting to play as an intercepting defender.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 11:53 on May 7, 2018

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Oh gently caress off, 1 week for a tackle? I'll bet someone got punched/kneed off the ball this weekend and it isn't cited :rolleyes:

Vic bias clearly wants Richmond at the top.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 7, 2018

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Testekill posted:

Bulldogs were obscenely inexperienced on the weekend. Games played was 1172 and average age was 22y 218d while the Suns had a full year on a half on us and 1575 games played. Our four oldest players were Suckling, Wallis, Dahlhaus and Johannisen who are 29 and 25 respectively

The Dogs have been the youngest team in every round of the season

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
The problem I have with the Nic Nat suspension is that Burton got away with a bump that concussed a player because it was an 'accident' and this tackle is somehow different? I'd be happy with a basic rule that you get a week for a tackle that concusses a player if the bump also got a week if it concussed a player. But of course the AFL fucks everything up so here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Shmoses posted:

The Dogs have been the youngest team in every round of the season

I believe this round in particular was the youngest non-expansion team of like the past 6 years. I mean we replaced Bontempelli and Wood with Honeychurch and Young but we're extremely lacking in the 150-200 games played range anyways since Libba & Wallis have had their injury woes.