Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

bongwizzard posted:

Just use them then? Like it’s your own hangups that are holding you back.

He's not wrong that the way consumables work in Pillars kinda sucks. They're so unnecessary to success that you can't help but wonder why they even exist. Combine that with there being a million different potions, food, scrolls, and traps and ehh gently caress it just toss 'em in the stash to offload to the vendors. It's like vancian spellcasting: it doesn't kill the game but the game would definitely be better if it worked differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My problem was that scrolls were so useful I used all my slots for them and frequently didn't bother with potions.

Like I could use a slot to carry a buff for a single character or one that has a buff for the entire party. Sure an individual potion may be more potent to better for a particular scenario but just in general it was so much more useful to pack everyone with scrolls.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Inverness posted:

It seems like per-encounter consumables would both alleviate those hangups and provide for better gameplay.

Having everything per-encounter is kinda dull and makes every encounter feel the same.

Gobblecoque posted:

He's not wrong that the way consumables work in Pillars kinda sucks. They're so unnecessary to success that you can't help but wonder why they even exist.

They are unnecessary because the game is too easy on anything below PoD assuming you do all the sidequests and
come on who the gently caress just does the critical path in these games?

The mix of per-encounter and per-rest classes in PoE1 was cool and different and PoE2 will be poorer and duller without them.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Yeah vancian casting is so bad look how lovely and unfun BG2 turned out.

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!

Gorelab posted:

Was Wasteland 2 outright bad? I never got around to looking at it.

It's probably the second worst game I've paid money for in the last five years.

Combat (which was a large part of the game) was painfully slow, and just mind-numbingly boring.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'm half looking forward to this game and half looking forwards to josh sawyer's heartbreaker

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Aloth betrays you again but this time properly.

Actually hey what was the deal with that? I always benched Aloth - I get why people like the guy, but after I did his quest I never found him interesting enough to keep around. That one time I went upstairs he was like "Hey I was Leaden Key" and it had zero impact except that I could've tossed him. Was there a quest or something I missed where he was supposed to, like, actively betray me?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Nah, people like to call that a "betrayal" but thats a bit over dramatic, i don't tell people i just started hanging out with about the murder cult im in.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are there bashing shields in Deadfire? If so, does the dual-wield passive work with them?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

bongwizzard posted:

Having everything per-encounter is kinda dull and makes every encounter feel the same.
Every encounter was the same in regards to consumables because I almost never used them. So I don't see how making them all per encounter in PoE2 is a downgrade here. Besides, the fun way you make encounters different is by having different enemies with different strengths and weaknesses that actually force you to change tactics.

Though I didn't say everything per-encounter. A mix of per encounter and per rest makes sense.

One idea is instead of having each quick slot take a stack of items, have each take a single item that can be used at most once per encounter. If you want to use a health potion twice in an encounter you need to use two of your slots. In this sense, quick slots would represent individual things you have strapped to your belt and ready to go for a fight. Each could then have a total number of uses that is replenished by resting (much like empowering).

I doubt this is something that can be modded in.

In any case, that's enough brainstorming. I guess I'll just have to see if my consumption habits will be able to change this game.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 7, 2018

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

bongwizzard posted:

Having things not be per-encounter only makes sense if you're going to put an actual penalty to leaving dungeons. Per rest stuff is basically just a fun tax.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Majestic posted:

It's probably the second worst game I've paid money for in the last five years.

Combat (which was a large part of the game) was painfully slow, and just mind-numbingly boring.

The writing and quests were fine. The gameplay mechanics were largely garbage, and the game looked and sounded like crap. I still finished it, and I'm hopeful Wasteland 3 is better - particularly since I thought InXile did a really good job on Numenera, aside from the stretch goal bullshit.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I must have missed the email that told me to confirm my address at https://eternity.obsidian.net/account/orders, as well as enter my name in the credits . I pledged for the signed collector's edition last year. Am I too late?

Node fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 7, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I appear to be having a bug with PoE 1 where all the Kickstarter Souls are exactly the same in appearance to normal living NPCs. I vaguely remember them being gold or purple the last time I played? It makes wondering around places pretty annoying. Any idea what caused it/how to fix it?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You have to kill them all now. Only way to be sure.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

marshmallow creep posted:

My problem was that scrolls were so useful I used all my slots for them and frequently didn't bother with potions.

Like I could use a slot to carry a buff for a single character or one that has a buff for the entire party. Sure an individual potion may be more potent to better for a particular scenario but just in general it was so much more useful to pack everyone with scrolls.

My problem with potions is interrupts made them extremely annoying to get off in big fights in Poe1. It often felt like a waste of time when I could get off an ability or fast cast spell instead of dealing with a potion that might get interrupted.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Farrier Theaks posted:

Actually hey what was the deal with that? I always benched Aloth - I get why people like the guy, but after I did his quest I never found him interesting enough to keep around. That one time I went upstairs he was like "Hey I was Leaden Key" and it had zero impact except that I could've tossed him. Was there a quest or something I missed where he was supposed to, like, actively betray me?

No, that was it. It was insanely lame and poorly done.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Aloth was the most flat CNPC in the game (Maneha was less flat but far more grating) and what little I've seen in PoE2 has not been promising in terms of pushing him out of his effete mildness and passive discomfort with things going on. His backstory is drab and distant, his most unusual characteristic is really just a running punchline, and his connection to the Leaden Key didn't do any work to deepen him because the Leaden Key were not a force of any real depth, strength or consequence, and were mostly shown to be incompetent with Thaos doing everything that mattered. A reveal that he was actually a former member of Raedric's Guard would have been roughly as dramatic a twist.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 7, 2018

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Aloth is in PoE because every adventuring party needs a character everyone feels safe making fun of when things are tense. Eder may be your physical tank, but Aloth is your emotional one.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Impermanent posted:

Aloth is in PoE because every adventuring party needs a character everyone feels safe making fun of when things are tense. Eder may be your physical tank, but Aloth is your emotional one.
That's Durance actually

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

If you had to give a broad-but-essential 6 word description of Aloth, what would it be? Eg Eder would be "Worldly veteran who loves animals", Durance would be "Bitter, conceited and aggressive street preacher", etc. I've played through the game several times and I still can't describe Aloth by anything other than his hesitance and discomfort.

Maybe Patel was trying to get across hints of some inner strength and resolve but whenever he got real solemn and made a pledge to follow me or whatever I was just like "cool, thanks for showing up".

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 7, 2018

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

If you had to give a broad-but-essential 6 word description of Aloth, what would it be? Eg Eder would be "Worldly veteran who loves animals", Durance would be "Bitter, conceited and aggressive street preacher", etc

C-3P0, but a split-personality Wizard.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Timid wizard with feisty woman's soul.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I've only watched Cohh's stream, anyone seen one with a Grandmaster Aloth? Is his personality any different, I think they talked about reactivity like that, but I can't imagine how much work it would take to make a main party member have two distinct voiced personalities for the entire game.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Do we know that the difficulty curve isn’t completely hosed this time? That is my main problem with these CRPGs, in that early game feels more like a brick wall that completely drains my will to play.

Granted, PoE was relatively decent until you decided to go to the dungeon under the first main town you go to. Certainly better than Divinity OS 2 which may have been a giant middle finger

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

C-3P0, but a split-personality Wizard.

God that's exactly it. Though I would argue "split-personality" is way too strong a word. Iselmyr's defined 100% by her comedic aspects (particularly her juxtaposition w/r/t how Aloth presents himself), we don't speak to her or learn nothing about her. All Aloth amounts to in PoE1 is a soft-tempered blueblood whose Tourette's outbursts just happen to manifest with a Scottish accent.

Hell, when everybody in the party is constantly saying they want to see more of Iselmyr, I don't think they intended to underline how boring Aloth is, but Aloth is really very boring.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Do we know how importing a character affects the game? I played PoE way back when, on release. My save is probably still on my computer but I don't remember much of anything about the plot or even my character. I was kinda thinking I'd go with a fresh character, but not if it's going to mean I miss out on stuff.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Only minor things from PoE1 aren’t covered by the new game setup

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Awesome, looking forward to Tuesday.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

Only minor things from PoE1 aren’t covered by the new game setup

Do we know any examples of this yet? Dunno why they just didn't make everything settable to begin with, but maybe there will be a third party tool for that like ME got.

Worst case scenario the imports aren't working right because of flags being set incorrectly in PoE1, in which case dunno if they'd actually go back to fix it.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 7, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Nobody’s publicly beat the game yet, let alone compared notes on the fraction of the game the ?? number of streamers have gotten into. We won’t know for awhile I’m guessing.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Apropos of nothing, Zahua’s WM1 content benefits considerably from a second playthrough. I don’t think there’s a single conversation in which a conversation with him isn’t actually about his tribe and dilemma. It’s quite elegant.

It also makes me wonder if there’s any reactivity there, if his WM2 quest is affected by how you advocate for the past being dead vs. legacies enduring in WM1. That scale of reactivity is pretty rare in PoE (mainly thinking of the third Abydon option).

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

Apropos of nothing, Zahua’s WM1 content benefits considerably from a second playthrough. I don’t think there’s a single conversation in which a conversation with him isn’t actually about his tribe and dilemma. It’s quite elegant.

It also makes me wonder if there’s any reactivity there, if his WM2 quest is affected by how you advocate for the past being dead vs. legacies enduring in WM1. That scale of reactivity is pretty rare in PoE (mainly thinking of the third Abydon option).

Nope, only his vision quest, unlike Kana's.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Impermanent posted:

Aloth is the guy that you throw into a hole when the party needs to jump over a pit to make sure that nobody cool suffers a twisted ankle or cracked rib.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Aloth is cool.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Hello thread, I'm the BoringGuy McSquareperson who will have single class only party (Subclasses are ok and cool tho).

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

Aloth is cool.

What do you think is cool about him Dan?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Honestly I'm not a fan of the new main theme.

Like, you have a game that is about "you are god-chasers and you get to sail around fantasy versions of Polynesia, Indonesia, Aleut Islands" but the music is still just toot toot trumpety orchestral.

AssCreed Black Flag gets me more pumped than that with its main theme and that's even the total wrong part of the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNREuwdJCw0&t=64s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Both Aloth and Pallegina are a bit boring, but Aloth is actually super useful in combat, Pallegina not so much.