Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Tbh some of us (Pick) use this website more than others and I feel that I am unfairly subsidizing picks posting. Unless some kind of fee by post usage is enabled were basically instituting a forced welfare state of posting.
Tbh I only need to costco once every two weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
I went to Costco to get some Kirkland brand canadian whiskey, and I couldn't find it.

I'd be highly troubled if my Costco stopped carrying it, but it would explain why it's been $13 for a 1.75L for the past few months.

belt fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 7, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

belt posted:

I went to Costco to get some Kirkland brand canadian whiskey, and I couldn't find it.

I'd be highly troubled if my Costco stopped carrying it, but it would explain why it's been $13 for a 1.75L for the past few months.
:negative:
i wish canadian whiskey was that cheap in canada

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rutibex posted:

:negative:
i wish canadian whiskey was that cheap in canada

honestly I should have seen the writing on the wall. if I'd have known they were going to stop carrying it I'd have a pallet full of kirkland canadian whiskey in my basement. crown is almost $40 for a 1.75L.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
"KS Whisky should be back in June, but it will become a "seasonal" item. I put seasonal in quotes because the season will be roughly June through January. I'm told the supply wont be there to support year round sales until 2024"

Got that from the guy that gave us a heads up on the unannounced protein bar sale everybody got so hyped about last month.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

MisterOblivious posted:

"KS Whisky should be back in June, but it will become a "seasonal" item. I put seasonal in quotes because the season will be roughly June through January. I'm told the supply wont be there to support year round sales until 2024"

Got that from the guy that gave us a heads up on the unannounced protein bar sale everybody got so hyped about last month.

Any idea if something's up with the Kirkland Silver Tequila 1.75s? Mountain View and Sunnyvale CA didn't have them when I went yesterday :(

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Silver tequila? Canadian whiskey?!

:sigh:

Come on people, you can do better then that.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

BaconCopter posted:

Silver tequila? Canadian whiskey?!

:sigh:

Come on people, you can do better then that.

I was trying to get a handful of people drunk for $20.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Valid.

I was wrong to judge any blessed patron of The Church.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Rutibex posted:

why does apple even need a store? they only sell like 4 different things

they also stock a bunch of high end peripherals, at the apple store near me its got a shitload of high end wireless speakers and headphones, charging equipment, portable battery banks and leather iphone cases in a few dozen colors, if you have an iphone definitely get the leather case, it is high quality stuff, very rigid, light and strong. I've had some grizzly drops and it easily protected the phone and the finish can be fixed with any leather repair kit

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

why does apple even need a store? they only sell like 4 different things

apple does among the most business per square foot of nearly any major inperson retail store, and by far the most profit per square foot

the vast cavernous spaces are flaunting the fact that the phones sell like drat hotcakes

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Uh mods? This thread is about blessed Costco, not a store for people who smell their own farts?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Costco is about as bougie as it gets and its core clientele are basically identical to Apple's core clientele socioeconomically.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Taima posted:

Costco is about as bougie as it gets and its core clientele are basically identical to Apple's core clientele socioeconomically.
not at all. my costco is at least 2/3rds working-class hispanics/asians

everyone enjoys savings

it's probably just a reflection of where you live, if you live in whiteflight 'burbs then yeah it'll be bougie

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Taima posted:

This is a really stupid statement.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Saw a girl walking around with a churro in her berry frozen yogurt

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://www.fool.com/investing/2016/06/17/who-is-costcos-favorite-customer.aspx

Average customer income 100 grand

Best ansatz for incomes is always power law. If your co is crowded, chances are there's some jackass earning 1 million walking around there

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

omg they had one of those new la croix variety packs this weekend with the crazy poo poo like blackberry-cucumber, the melon one, the apple-cranberry and poo poo, finally after the constant lemon-lime-plain mix

pbuc

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Tried the brisket sandwich, it sucks. Coleslaw was gross and 'brisket' could have been any overcooked over sweetened canned meat product.

Back to combo pizza I guess.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

RJWaters2 posted:

Saw a girl walking around with a churro in her berry frozen yogurt

like a bizarro american world version of 99 ice cream (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99_Flake'99'_Ice_Cream)

like all costco confections, the portions are large and the quality is good

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Wow I didn't expect to see so much denial about Costco being bougie.

The core Costco customer is a college educated, relatively high-earning homeowner living in an affluent area. Is that not you? Congratulations, you aren't a core customer for Costco's business model, but don't worry, you can still shop there and plenty of people do.

Go look up the demographic data online, this isn't hard.

Irradiation posted:

This is a really stupid statement.

oh word?

Xaris posted:

not at all. my costco is at least 2/3rds working-class hispanics/asians

lol ok

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Taima posted:

The core Costco customer is a college educated, relatively high-earning homeowner living in an affluent area. Is that not you? Congratulations, you aren't a core customer for Costco's business model, but don't worry, you can still shop there and plenty of people do.

oh word?

lol ok

Does it shock you that some minorities make money?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Please, fart-smellers, get out.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Taima posted:

oh word?

lol ok

While this is probably true, I think it is only because so many working class people don't necessarily understand how beneficial buying in bulk is or the concept of unit pricing.

I've had a couple of people in my building see me hauling in Kirkland stuff and they always say "I can't afford to shop at Costco" and stare at me like I'm holding a bunch of Supreme hoodies instead of a giant pack of toliet paper.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Man, when my dad saw how much quality ribeye steak you can buy with $40 bucks, his eyes almost exploded out of his head. We bought a six pack and froze 2 (heresy, I know), but we had a nice fancy steak dinner every week for a month.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

ElGroucho posted:

Does it shock you that some minorities make money?

I made absolutely no comment on what kind of money minorities make so I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Are you referring to the dude I was quoting who specifically said that his Costco was full of working-class minorities? Because that was him, not me. That's what a quote means.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Taima posted:

I made absolutely no comment on what kind of money minorities make so I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Are you referring to the dude I was quoting who specifically said that his Costco was full of working-class minorities? Because that was him, not me. That's what a quote means.

hmmm ok

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Costco is a place for all people. class does not exist in the line for free sausage samples

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

While this is probably true, I think it is only because so many working class people don't necessarily understand how beneficial buying in bulk is or the concept of unit pricing.

I've had a couple of people in my building see me hauling in Kirkland stuff and they always say "I can't afford to shop at Costco" and stare at me like I'm holding a bunch of Supreme hoodies instead of a giant pack of toliet paper.

Think a lot of it is also not having a bulk of cash at once. Like for paper products/detergent/etc it's obvious that buying 3x as much for 2x the price is a good deal but if you need it now and only have a couple bucks to spare you're obviously gonna buy the smaller packages.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Costco is the bosom that feeds all people.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

1500quidporsche posted:

For sure. It's the investment mindset (money now for returns later) vs the mindset that is brought on by living paycheck to paycheck. They probably just think like "holy poo poo that must be like $300 worth of poo poo, that dude is loaded" without considering the use of the items over time.

E: sorry c didn't see your post

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

you're not wrong, but there is definitely a group of people for whom the $55 annual fee is a big enough expense to be intimidating/prohibitive, and even though costco has extremely good prices and can save you a bunch of money on quality products via bulk purchases, they also very much aim the products they sell at that ~$100k annual household income demographic and a shopping trip there typically requires a very non-trivial outlay

actual poverty fucks with your decision making processes, because you're often going from minor crisis to minor crisis and trying to make sure needs get met in the moment- the person paying a bad unit price to get a 3-pack of low quality TP at the grocery store may understand completely that the 36-pack of name-brand is a better unit price in the abstract, but if you've got like $45 to last you until payday it's real loving hard to drop a third of that on TP, even if doing so would absolutely lead to better outcomes over the longer term

a lot of those people would benefit immensely from using a bulk buying strategy (costco-based or no), but once you're immersed in the cycle of low-income suckage it can be hard to break out

e:f;b

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
May Costco be with you

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I donated $200 to the church today and in return I got a six month supply of toilet paper, protein shakes and bars for a month, lots of salad and chicken for some healthy lunches, and some other stuff I forgot

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
They have bigass pineapples for two bucks

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

LGD posted:

you're not wrong, but there is definitely a group of people for whom the $55 annual fee is a big enough expense to be intimidating/prohibitive, and even though costco has extremely good prices and can save you a bunch of money on quality products via bulk purchases, they also very much aim the products they sell at that ~$100k annual household income demographic and a shopping trip there typically requires a very non-trivial outlay

actual poverty fucks with your decision making processes, because you're often going from minor crisis to minor crisis and trying to make sure needs get met in the moment- the person paying a bad unit price to get a 3-pack of low quality TP at the grocery store may understand completely that the 36-pack of name-brand is a better unit price in the abstract, but if you've got like $45 to last you until payday it's real loving hard to drop a third of that on TP, even if doing so would absolutely lead to better outcomes over the longer term

a lot of those people would benefit immensely from using a bulk buying strategy (costco-based or no), but once you're immersed in the cycle of low-income suckage it can be hard to break out

e:f;b

I absolutely agree with what you were saying, was just rushed to type up what I said and made a general statement. Its a lovely cycle to break out of.

I also will say that Costco's non bulk stuff is absolutely marketed towards upper middle class, which is cool cause they've gotta make extra cash somehow but if you were to shop on Costco to a budget you have to pretend those areas of the store don't exist.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

1500quidporsche posted:

I absolutely agree with what you were saying, was just rushed to type up what I said and made a general statement. Its a lovely cycle to break out of.

I also will say that Costco's non bulk stuff is absolutely marketed towards upper middle class, which is cool cause they've gotta make extra cash somehow but if you were to shop on Costco to a budget you have to pretend those areas of the store don't exist.

costco also doesn't have "cheap" generic brands. they have Kirkland, but thats usually high end stuff in large quantities. to make the most of your grocery buying dollar you need to do half your shopping at Costco and half at No Frills.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Aha, biggest problem with Costco is WHERE DO I PUT ALL THIS BULK STUFF? I'm convinced that it can only co-exist near McMansions.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Taima posted:

oh word?

lol ok

Like someone else said it's reflective of where you live. Mine is in an area with a lot of Hispanic farm workers and they are probably half the people I see when I go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Remulak posted:

Aha, biggest problem with Costco is WHERE DO I PUT ALL THIS BULK STUFF? I'm convinced that it can only co-exist near McMansions.

We have a little 1BR apartment and we shop at Costco religiously.

Just need to get a little creative at times, and alternate what we stock up on. Don't buy toilet paper and paper towels at the same time, only buy one thing of meat at a time, etc.