Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Is it even reasonable to get past R112 right now? I have all the artifacts but the hourglass is prohibitively expensive and even the first lineage 30 build on G00F requires E45 gems. Am I missing something or should I just finish this abdication to hit 112 and drop it for an update?

I don't even know if anyone's playing this something's got the whole thread so hot and bothered.

(good job tho for real)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I'm still playing RG, if going offline and waiting over a week for T6 spells counts as "playing".

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Eldercain posted:

Is it even reasonable to get past R112 right now? I have all the artifacts but the hourglass is prohibitively expensive and even the first lineage 30 build on G00F requires E45 gems. Am I missing something or should I just finish this abdication to hit 112 and drop it for an update?

I don't even know if anyone's playing this something's got the whole thread so hot and bothered.

(good job tho for real)

I was playing until recently, but I quit at R114 because NGU is way more fun right now. You can slowly grind your way to all the way to R115, but each R is going to take several 24h+ long abdications.

Undeadline druids will take you up to e40ish gems: S3200,C300,C1325,D245,D275,E260,E1425,A251,A375,A400,W350,W1375

Then buff total spell casts with angelline goblins for a day or so, should take you to at least 1e10 spells cast : S50,S3200,C175,C400,D245,E1,E145,E225,A10,A120,W25,W205

Around here, or maybe earlier, you'll want to take at least a couple days off of running useful builds just to buff your Uniformity, it's actually really powerful.

Then angelline druids will get you the rest of the way: S3200,C300,C400,D245,D275,E260,E1425,A120,A251,A375,W350,W1375

With all the builds, pick undead artifact, and run them until you can afford Spiritual Surge 7.

Not sure if you can get all the way to R115 with those, there are faceless builds that are more powerful but you have to run them for multiple days without closing your browser window or it resets your brainwave cast. If you make it to R115 you get a new reincarnation power that makes it significantly faster to get to level 30 lineages, but even then it will take weeks for a single one.

edit: also g00f hasn't updated the builds since the last minor patch, which actually shook things up a bit, use the megathread instead.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Edly posted:

I was playing until recently, but I quit at R114 because NGU is way more fun right now. You can slowly grind your way to all the way to R115, but each R is going to take several 24h+ long abdications.

Undeadline druids will take you up to e40ish gems: S3200,C300,C1325,D245,D275,E260,E1425,A251,A375,A400,W350,W1375

Then buff total spell casts with angelline goblins for a day or so, should take you to at least 1e10 spells cast : S50,S3200,C175,C400,D245,E1,E145,E225,A10,A120,W25,W205

Around here, or maybe earlier, you'll want to take at least a couple days off of running useful builds just to buff your Uniformity, it's actually really powerful.

Then angelline druids will get you the rest of the way: S3200,C300,C400,D245,D275,E260,E1425,A120,A251,A375,W350,W1375

With all the builds, pick undead artifact, and run them until you can afford Spiritual Surge 7.

Not sure if you can get all the way to R115 with those, there are faceless builds that are more powerful but you have to run them for multiple days without closing your browser window or it resets your brainwave cast. If you make it to R115 you get a new reincarnation power that makes it significantly faster to get to level 30 lineages, but even then it will take weeks for a single one.

So I can pretty easily get up to e40 or so with dragonline druids, i have a good pipeline for that, and especially to the point that uniformity is really powerful, I agree, but on longer and longer R's you're looking at spending an extra 1-2 days running just to get it up with the factions you don't do production with.

I think the idea of weeks to get to drow or dragon 30 I'll probably put it on the backburner. NGU here I come.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Eldercain posted:

(good job tho for real)

I'm still grinding away at R110, hoping to get the more useful artifact sets Pretty Soon(tm).

Meanwhile, I'm playing Universal Attractor in another window.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

RG im like 8 days into a get to e14 faction coins to try for hourglass....

sort of wish i did 5 days buff instead of a few hours

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Meskhenet posted:

RG im like 8 days into a get to e14 faction coins to try for hourglass....

sort of wish i did 5 days buff instead of a few hours

I think I got it at 2e13 and it still took 3 days. I'm lucky that it was only 10k away from my last set artifact. The next update better be more than 5 R's worth of content :|

So as a new person to ngu I appreciate the faster rebirths compared to itrtg. Getting your caps down so fast owns

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
NGU: Switching into the 2D set really hurts because it's killing my magic stats :(

At the same time, it'll let me autokill GCT without Adv Training...

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Magres posted:

NGU: Switching into the 2D set really hurts because it's killing my magic stats :(

At the same time, it'll let me autokill GCT without Adv Training...

You are most likely going to want to wear a mix of sets, and actually start switching gear during certain parts of the run around this time. Sets are not intended to be a full replacement.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

pixaal posted:

You are most likely going to want to wear a mix of sets, and actually start switching gear during certain parts of the run around this time. Sets are not intended to be a full replacement.

I should've not trashed my Magitech Set then :ohdear:

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Samuringa posted:

I should've not trashed my Magitech Set then :ohdear:

definitely not the sword, as it's the only item in slot with a +gold bonus. Some of the other pieces have different bonuses too. Also, at lower levels, the scaling works such that sometimes lower tier gear is more powerful than higher tier gear on challenges.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Oh, I kept that one, I'm not that dumb, I just think Magic is lame.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
At what point should I start keeping sets? I trashed up to and including the forest set (minus the ascended pendant) so far but I'm still wearing the cave set while I work on magitech.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I requested a while back the ability to archive maxxed out equipment so it's not in inventory, but can be resummoned at will with full stats.

I'd pay AP for a feature like that.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Hey guys, .380 is out. It has loadouts. It has a lot of stuff. Enjoy and maybe buy some loadouts with AP if you're into that bye

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
I'm getting an error when I try to load up NGU

quote:

An error occured running the Unity content on this page. See your browser JavaScript console for more info. The error was:
TypeError: __GLOBAL__sub_I_Thread_cpp_28396 is not a function

Don't know if it's related to the patch or it's just me.

Edit: Ah, I think it's Firefox, which I just updated. Must have broken compatibility somehow. Works fine in Chrome.

Princey fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 5, 2018

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

something posted:

Hey guys, .380 is out. It has loadouts. It has a lot of stuff. Enjoy and maybe buy some loadouts with AP if you're into that bye

Screw Loadouts, I'm so loving the Auto-Yggdrasil. It also means I have to get 200m energy and 30m magic some day, which is great because goals are good for a game's longevity.

Finally finished all 25 Basic challenges and I'm not going back to Challenge Hell until my NGU numbers are way higher. Fruit of Power ß is a real MVP here, currently flexing 5500%.

Love the new Magic NGU. Can't wait for beards. GOTY 2018.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Finally finished all 25 Basic challenges and I'm not going back to Challenge Hell until my NGU numbers are way higher. Fruit of Power ß is a real MVP here, currently flexing 5500%.

Wait. What? How are you even using Fruit beta in Basics? Why would you ever have runs over an hour?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Because most of the time it's set up the first 5 minutes of a rebirth and then it's off to the exciting world of responsibilities which, like all the best parties, runs from now until ???.

Also hey, just hit level 99 Wandoos, feed the money pit and +1 Wandoos level!

Can you go above level 100 Wandoos with money pit rewards?

SynthesisAlpha fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 5, 2018

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
If you high enough tiers yep. 110 max for 1 quint tier and 120 for 1 sextillion tier

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009

something posted:

Upon reloading it seems like I got a ton of exp. Is that from recalculated challenge rewards?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Zteuer posted:

Upon reloading it seems like I got a ton of exp. Is that from recalculated challenge rewards?

Yes.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I requested a while back the ability to archive maxxed out equipment so it's not in inventory, but can be resummoned at will with full stats.

I'd pay AP for a feature like that.

This would be cool and good

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Zteuer posted:

In a word: yes.

Edit: I'm also starting work on beards, here's some early art of a couple of the beard concepts. They're supposed to be like a spec sheet or anatomy diagram style, but of course really stupid.

something fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 7, 2018

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
RG: Is it just very bad luck that I'm not getting the Dragon Soul artifact despite having 6500 casts this game? I've set it up 3-4 times now and start excavating around 5000 casts, excavate ~5K times and still don't get it. Abdicate and wait till the next weekend. I know it's the artifact that I can get because when I don't have enough DB casts up, I lose the bubble that shows I can get an artifact. It's so frustrating and I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

something posted:

In a word: yes.

Edit: I'm also starting work on beards, here's some early art of a couple of the beard concepts. They're supposed to be like a spec sheet or anatomy diagram style, but of course really stupid.

I think someone referenced wooly willy, it made me think of a beard mechanic where you accumulate beard pixels.
Maybe at 4 beard points you'd have 4 pixels of beard, enough for a Chaplain.
Then maybe at 19 you'd have enough for a John Waters.
Then at 24 you could get a patchy beard and so on.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Chakan posted:

RG: Is it just very bad luck that I'm not getting the Dragon Soul artifact despite having 6500 casts this game? I've set it up 3-4 times now and start excavating around 5000 casts, excavate ~5K times and still don't get it. Abdicate and wait till the next weekend. I know it's the artifact that I can get because when I don't have enough DB casts up, I lose the bubble that shows I can get an artifact. It's so frustrating and I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Alternative idea: export before the excavation attempts, and if it doesn't work, re-import and let it sit for longer.

The main issue, however, is that 6500 casts is awfully low to go for that artifact (0.000325 odds per excavation), although you'd still expect reasonable-ish odds in 5000 excavations. Sure as hell not anything approaching a guarantee though.

What are you using for a build to rack up the casts, that's only getting to 6500 over the course of a weekend?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks for the response! It was my understanding that the chance was just (casts/200,000) which is like a 3% chance per successful excavation. I didn't bother setting up a better build because I've just come back from a ~4 month break, but the issue there is how long each cast lasts, almost 50s right now. I'm only on R73 so there's no rush, it's just that I've been trying to get it for a couple R to no avail, maybe I'll spend some time looking over it tonight and set it up for 20k casts.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Chakan posted:

Thanks for the response! It was my understanding that the chance was just (casts/200,000) which is like a 3% chance per successful excavation. I didn't bother setting up a better build because I've just come back from a ~4 month break, but the issue there is how long each cast lasts, almost 50s right now. I'm only on R73 so there's no rush, it's just that I've been trying to get it for a couple R to no avail, maybe I'll spend some time looking over it tonight and set it up for 20k casts.

i believe it's druid challenge 4 that lengthens cast times? you can turn that off

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Chakan posted:

Thanks for the response! It was my understanding that the chance was just (casts/200,000) which is like a 3% chance per successful excavation.

Nah, it's (casts / 200,000) PERCENT chance, so 0.03% per hit.

~Artifacts~.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think someone referenced wooly willy, it made me think of a beard mechanic where you accumulate beard pixels.

This, and make it so the placement of pixels determine what type of benefit you get.

Then set it up so the placement pattern for ideal min-maxing turns out to be a swastika.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Chakan posted:

Ohhhhh... yeah part of that was my bad, when I quickly read it before work this morning I thought it was casts, period, rather than Dragon Breath casts specifically. I was wondering how the hell you'd manage such a low number at those Rs when Tax Collection is a thing.

In that case yes, 6500 is much more reasonable though it still wouldn't hurt to aim higher.

That said, go with Captain Foo's advice and turn off the reward for Druid Challenge 4 (you can toggle unlocked challenge rewards by clicking them on the challenge screen, no checkmark = reward not active), that should get the duration down somewhat. Don't forget to toggle it back on when you're done.

Otherwise yes, expect to burn a few thousand excavations because as Kyrosiris pointed out, it's (casts/200,000) percent, so divide by 100 afterward to get a meaningful decimal.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Or just use Lara Crypt and let it tell you exactly how many excavations it's going to take. Artifacts are the worst part of realm grinder.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Absolutely. And the absolute worst artifacts are the A2 artifact sets. Complex math shouldn't be needed to play idle games. :argh:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Merijn posted:

Absolutely. And the absolute worst artifacts are the A2 artifact sets. Complex math shouldn't be needed to play idle games. :argh:

agreeeeeeeeed

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I quit at A1. Honestly, when you unlock Research it just becomes a "Do exactly this build until you get _ gems, then do this one then Reincarnate. Repeat."

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
It's interesting at what point your brain says "gently caress this, this is silly" considering you're already playing a game with minimal input. For example, I couldn't play Clicker Heroes when I realized all I do is prestige every once in a while, enter my save in the ancients calculator thing, and start over according to what the thing told me to do.
Or Transport Defender, which has that button to make your weapons auto-upgrade according to rules you set so the game actually straight-up plays itself.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
That's another feather in the cap for NGU. You're always making decisions on what avenue of growth to pursue. Am I maximizing XP, pushing for a highest boss kill, cranking out challenges, levelling up NGU skills, focusing on adventure stats or gear.

Incremental games need those multiple paths of progression and actual decision making on the part of the player that goes beyond just buying a building or chasing a single prestige number that just functions as a multiplier or content gate.

It's a heavily saturated genre because the barrier to entry is so low. Slap some scaling formulas on costs, make a hundred upgrades with clever names. The good games are the ones that make your decisions matter beyond how frequently you spend your resources to increase production.

Realm grinder is cool but it's so heavily played that all the optimal paths are laid out, and a lot of that choice is illusory. Like undead are supposed to be good for long runs, but are they really? All their time scaling isn't even as good as just being elves or spending that long run as faceless to improve that one challenge passive that scales with faceless time.

Idle wizard is another game that seems like you have all these choices but what it actually plays like is go X wizard class for this range of prestiges and such class has one optimal spell/pet/gear/stat spread.

I mean I'm pretty heavy on the NGU bandwagon, partly because it's being actively, rapidly developed, but something has really hit on how to make idle games good and give players actual decisions on playstyle and paths of progress. The campy self aware humor is just a bonus.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
It is finished: Swarm Simulator

Start Date
3 years ago - Thu Mar 26 2015 17:55:43 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)

Today, at work, I finally got Manifest Destiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
I can't get into NGU no matter how many times I try. I don't know what I'm missing. It must be something. Maybe it's a little too "interfacey" for me or something. There's no fantasy to it. But I don't know, I could just be missing it.