Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Steve Yun posted:

It requires a vessel that just barely fits; usually the container it came with

Talenti ice cream containers are perfect for my stick. They even come with a cap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

theres a will theres moe posted:

Why is it you can straight up boil stew beef for ten hours and it still comes out pinkish on the inside

Nitrates in root veg (and other veg) can cause the beef to maintain a pink color inside. Onions are high in nitrates.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Nitrates in root veg (and other veg) can cause the beef to maintain a pink color inside. Onions are high in nitrates.

Celery too, that's why you see celery juice in "nitrate free" meats.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

There was a high school fundraiser and I bought the smaller amount of strawberries I could and still ended up with 8 baskets.

I’ve used three baskets making cobbler and just eating them raw for snacks and in my corn flakes and poo poo. Each basket is about 2 cups worth all cut up.

What should I make?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Went to Smorgasburg yesterday, was happily impressed. The porchetta was great, all of the dumplings were great, everything was great. And then I found oysters. Let me tell you, eating super fresh oysters from a tent in a parking lot is incredibly weird and fantastically good.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Arrgytehpirate posted:

There was a high school fundraiser and I bought the smaller amount of strawberries I could and still ended up with 8 baskets.

I’ve used three baskets making cobbler and just eating them raw for snacks and in my corn flakes and poo poo. Each basket is about 2 cups worth all cut up.

What should I make?

Jam (jelly).

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

What should I make?

Depending on the weather and preference, frozen strawberry lemonade margaritas. Made some this weekend that were v tasty.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pickle some of the less ripe ones

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

What should I make?

daiquiris

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Strawberry syrup, which you'll use to sweeten everything you eat. Freshly made syrups are divine.

Make sure to get plenty of the tops and cores in there. When I make any fruit syrup, I always add the pith or equivalent, it adds a ton of depth. Sort of like using tomato stems in marinara.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If you're in the northern hemisphere and summer gets hot, strawberry popsicles®

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Cleaning out the fridge, turns out a 3x Simple Syrup is a super saturated solution and I now have a piece of rock candy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Googling says approximate maximum concentration of sucrose in water is 68 brix (68 parts sugar in 100 parts solution) so 2:1 simple syrup is already riding up right next to the line

edit: solution, not water

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 9, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Googling says approximate maximum concentration of sucrose in water is 68 brix (68 parts sugar in 100 parts water by weight) so 2:1 simple syrup is already riding up right next to the line

what temp

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

211g sugar in 100g water at 25°C

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

When you guys make whole chicken soup, do you cook the veggies with the bird, or add them later?
Mirepoix and chunks of veggies, or just chunks?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Both. Especially if I have some older, wilty looking stuff to use up. Rough chop and goes in the pot for flavor. Once it's mush I'll discard and add new veg and cook until just tender.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Both. Especially if I have some older, wilty looking stuff to use up. Rough chop and goes in the pot for flavor. Once it's mush I'll discard and add new veg and cook until just tender.

That's what I usually do. But I was poking around online, and some people like to cook down some mirepoix in the traditional soup manner.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

That's what I usually do. But I was poking around online, and some people like to cook down some mirepoix in the traditional soup manner.

Some people are terrible cooks.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Some people just really need extra fiber in their diet I guess.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Casu Marzu posted:

this. brown meat, remove
add wilty and root veg, herbs and stock, remove
brown new root veg, strain stock into, add chicken, cook until done
add peas and poo poo that just need warming up.
serve

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Vegas folks, tragic news: Chada Thai and Wine is closing. Chada Street (IMO the best Thai place in town) closed earlier this year; Chada Thai was the older and, I thought, more secure of Bank's two properties. Unfortunately I was wrong.

If you haven't been to a Chada property, go before they close. Their food is amazing, their wine list is unusual and perfect for the cuisine (and currently marked down below even their excellent prices), and it's a drat shame they couldn't survive whatever weird economics are happening in Chinatown right now.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

bartolimu posted:

Vegas folks, tragic news: Chada Thai and Wine is closing. Chada Street (IMO the best Thai place in town) closed earlier this year; Chada Thai was the older and, I thought, more secure of Bank's two properties. Unfortunately I was wrong.

If you haven't been to a Chada property, go before they close. Their food is amazing, their wine list is unusual and perfect for the cuisine (and currently marked down below even their excellent prices), and it's a drat shame they couldn't survive whatever weird economics are happening in Chinatown right now.

fuuuuuuuck

I would never willingly live in Vegas, but I liked that place

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Was just there, and then I was at happy cow or whatever it is next door and wishing I was in chada (though the hotpot was good).

Why are they closing?

And why the gently caress aren't you and in a regular date at Golden Tiki?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

No idea why exactly the second Chada is closing, but I'm guessing they just couldn't get enough revenue. It's a small space and their table layout wasn't terribly packed together (which I loved, but definitely means you need to raise more per table to cover the square footage). I'd speculate it has something to do with Bank wanting out of the restaurant business, but The Patio is still open. Bank's sister was the cook at Street, so these closures are definitely hitting his family hard.

I need to get up there at least one more time before they close. Chada Thai was the first place I had century egg (with chili/mint/lime sauce, it was phenomenal). Their green curry was the only one that eclipsed Lotus's, which has come down in quality since then. Dammit, why do bad things happen to good restaurants? :(

As to Tiki, yeah we should go some time. I don't get to Chinatown as often since Street closed - only once for omakase at Raku with a visiting friend, actually. But there's other good stuff in the area I should be visiting more often.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Guys only 18 days left to order!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00t50uHS68k
$338 $269 for a spicebot, and you'll never guess the answer to the FAQ "Can I load my own spices in the pods?"

I'm the non sequitur "vegan" in the url: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/tastetro-spice-system-vegan#/

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

BrianBoitano posted:

$338 $269 for a spicebot, and you'll never guess the answer to the FAQ "Can I load my own spices in the pods?"

I'm the non sequitur "vegan" in the url: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/tastetro-spice-system-vegan#/

this is the sort of video that radicalizes a person

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

"To have people expect mouthwatering spice blends from loading their old spices into the appliance would lead to disappointment and not the experience we want to deliver."

They're protecting you from yourself, you see.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
You know what, the cooking world is just missing that ~je ne sais quoi~ that you find in the printer cartridge refill industry. This product will change that.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

People measure spices? I thought everyone just chucked in whatever they wanted?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite part is OF COURSE it's a flex funding campaign.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Everything about that machine is backwards.

1) cardboard dust only, instead of grinding whole spices in the machine, despite the machine being $300

2) 20 spices barely gets me through a meal. What, am I supposed to have one machine for every cuisine I cook?

3) can't be refilled, because then I have to rely on their lovely supply chain and overpriced garbage

Spicero indeed.

also,

Scientastic posted:

People measure spices? I thought everyone just chucked in whatever they wanted?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Finding this crapware reminded me of The Vegan Knife, which someone posted itt a while ago. It was canceled the same day it was posted. I asked the dude on FB and he said they just needed to fix one thing and re-list it. Glad to see, checking today, it never got re-listed :angel:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BrianBoitano posted:

Finding this crapware reminded me of The Vegan Knife, which someone posted itt a while ago. It was canceled the same day it was posted. I asked the dude on FB and he said they just needed to fix one thing and re-list it. Glad to see, checking today, it never got re-listed :angel:

Sounds great! I generally use sharpened bones to cut things with, which saddens my vegetarian wife. A vegan knife is just what I need! Thanks, Kniferoo!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BrianBoitano posted:

Oh, and because of the RFID, good luck using third party refillable spice pods. The Kuireg model!

Meanwhile I have a brick and mortar Penzey's I can go to so gently caress all y'all.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Kitchen equipment flea markets will sell TasteTro spice refill kits where you drill a hole in and pump in cheaper spices and plug up the hole

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

BrianBoitano posted:

Ooh mama mia gimme more of that asmr spittle sloshing. I love to know that the VO guy is drooling thinking about all those delicious spices.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I wonder if they were going to call it tastero, since thats how they pronounce it, but then realized how much like juicero it looks.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Flunky posted:

"To have people expect mouthwatering spice blends from loading their old spices into the appliance would lead to disappointment and not the experience we want to deliver."

They're protecting you from yourself, you see.
By the time you've reached a place where you're pushing a button on a robot to get it to dispense Zesty Italian flavour powder you no longer have the capacity for disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
The quarter teaspoon of parsley is the maybe the most infuriating thing in that video IMO