Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

inthesto posted:

It has three or four different types of crumple stun that you have to know the difference between, and if you get caught in a string, you can counter, but it's high/low and also punch/kick and you have to know your opponent's options off their current strings to make an educated guess.

gently caress that.

no no hold on you're thinking about it too much.

The way you should really be looking at it is this:
* can you stagger escape out of a stun?
* can you hold of it?
* can do both/either?

This simplified the learning process instead of having to indavidually study all five different stun types.

People do say DOA is an easy to play party game but that's not entirely true; I do agree there is actually a bit too much info in the game and 5 got a bit bloated, but it's still easy to get into and reach a higher level compared to Tekken and VF. I wish I had done better with the DOA thread tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

inthesto posted:

It has three or four different types of crumple stun that you have to know the difference between, and if you get caught in a string, you can counter, but it's high/low and also punch/kick and you have to know your opponent's options off their current strings to make an educated guess.

gently caress that.

yeah maybe I'm dumb but I did the DOA5 tutorial and I just did not get how you were expected to memorize all this poo poo in a real match

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
^^^Please, don't bother with the tutorial. Just PM me I'll tell you the quick simplified version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaaLitGD6xY

Dimentions 2 for Switch

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Uncle Kitchener posted:

^^^Please, don't bother with the tutorial. Just PM me I'll tell you the quick simplified version.

Post it here! I still play loads of DOA5 and am poo poo, I could use the help too.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

teh_Broseph posted:

How is T7 on PC? I'm sort of bounced off PS4 DBZF for now and going through some other backlogged non-fighting games. T7 is like 3rd on my gamefly queue for PS4 cuz I'm not super in the mood but it sounded kind of neat to rent a Good™ FG and mash some buttons for a bit. Buutt there it is popping up on sale for PC for like $20 and I'm on the fence. Yay nay, pull the trigger?

it's the only game that is both good and has players outside of trawling discords for matches. but also you should trawl the goonsgarden discord for matches so people can utterly destroy you to help you learn

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Gutter Owl posted:

Would someone be willing to go into more detail? I grew up with Street Fighter in the popular consciousness and Guilty Gear XX at the local rent-a-hut, but have no point of reference for SNK. I know basically jack poo poo about this huge side of the scene, except that Garou looks cool as hell.

SNK fighters, KoF in particular, occupy the space between SF and anime. You can super jump and run, but you can't airdash or roman cancel. Instead of the former, you get short hop; instead of the latter, you usually get a title-exclusive mechanic that uses an entire round/match's worth of resources to cancel a super into something else. There are also way more target combos, but not really so far as universal chain combos. Also, you can combo into command grabs, which I wish was a standard feature in anime-class games.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Uncle Kitchener posted:

no no hold on you're thinking about it too much.

The way you should really be looking at it is this:
* can you stagger escape out of a stun?
* can you hold of it?
* can do both/either?

This simplified the learning process instead of having to indavidually study all five different stun types.

People do say DOA is an easy to play party game but that's not entirely true; I do agree there is actually a bit too much info in the game and 5 got a bit bloated, but it's still easy to get into and reach a higher level compared to Tekken and VF. I wish I had done better with the DOA thread tbh.

Or I could just play Tekken

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

inthesto posted:

While there are many valid reasons to choose Tekken over Dead or Alive, "it's less complicated" is absolutely not loving one of them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

SNK fighters, KoF in particular, occupy the space between SF and anime. You can super jump and run, but you can't airdash or roman cancel. Instead of the former, you get short hop; instead of the latter, you usually get a title-exclusive mechanic that uses an entire round/match's worth of resources to cancel a super into something else. There are also way more target combos, but not really so far as universal chain combos. Also, you can combo into command grabs, which I wish was a standard feature in anime-class games.

You can combo into command grabs in UNIST which is cool

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ending a combo by CSing into Waldtein's charge grab feels so fuckin cool.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

inthesto posted:

You broke my heart, bro.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Waldstein is a cool fuckin dude and a great anime grappleman

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Uncle Kitchener posted:

You broke my heart, bro.

The game sucks, sorry

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

inthesto posted:

The game sucks, sorry

Consider the following: It is you that sucks

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Doa5 is a better fighting game than sfv

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

That a stealth burn? What isnt

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
rumble fish is a better fighting game than sf5

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
DoA5 has Brad Wong, the best fighting game drunkman.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Doa5 is a better fighting game than sfv

This is not a high bar to clear

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Ryoga posted:

DoA5 has Brad Wong, the best fighting game drunkman.
http://virtuafighter.wikia.com/wiki/File:VF2_Shun_Profile.png?file=VF2_Shun_Profile.png

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

inthesto posted:

yes but why do they keep recycling their air juggle animation that already looked terrible in 1997

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

I agree Shun Di is pretty cool, but he slightly loses out because he doesn't have Brad's bitchin wall jump. Brad totes needs a drink counter though.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Kawabata posted:

yes but why do they keep recycling their air juggle animation that already looked terrible in 1997

Juggles neither look nor work the same as they did in older games.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Brosnan posted:

Juggles neither look nor work the same as they did in older games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_p9BpNO8T8

lol it's the same animation for all the characters caught in the juggle: one leg bent the other extended, it's looked like that for the past 21 years of tekken

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
i can't believe that is a complaint somebody has about tekken lmfao

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
i wish the juggled looked REAL like in REAL life UGH

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I hear Harada is going to change the juggle animation to both legs bent for Tekken 8.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Kawabata posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_p9BpNO8T8

lol it's the same animation for all the characters caught in the juggle: one leg bent the other extended, it's looked like that for the past 21 years of tekken

who gives a gently caress

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

i was trying to say that the game looks shockingly ugly, and backed my opinion up with a youtube vid too, so

don't want to play ugly, sorry

AndyElusive posted:

I hear Harada is going to change the juggle animation to both legs bent for Tekken 8.

thats taking it too far

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

yo mamma a Horus posted:

i can't believe that is a complaint somebody has about tekken lmfao

I remember seeing multiple reviews at release mention the fact that characters hold their back when they lose a round as a negative against it

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

In Training posted:

I remember seeing multiple reviews at release mention the fact that characters hold their back when they lose a round as a negative against it

It's not anywhere as bad as fall down get up only to fall down again like in NRS games. It's kind of funny how sore everyone's backs get in Tekken though.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Ryoga posted:

I agree Shun Di is pretty cool, but he slightly loses out because he doesn't have Brad's bitchin wall jump. Brad totes needs a drink counter though.

They could've actually made him better with a drink meter that would actually speed up his moves since he's one of the slowest characters in the game and can't do much agaist grapplers.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Show me a fighting game that manages to properly make an air juggle combo look reasonable?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JVwxuCkYgw

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

a thing to know about kawabata is that he's a loving idiot

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

OneDeadman posted:

Show me a fighting game that manages to properly make an air juggle combo look reasonable?

How About Super Smash Brothers Melee?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I was hoping this would be The Bouncer

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

OneDeadman posted:

Very reasonable and life-like imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_0r6fRx6a8&t=90s