Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

DivisionPost posted:

And here’s the thing: there are positive aspects to the Cobra Kai way! That’s why it’s so seductive! But as Miyagi stressed, it’s about balance. Too much Cobra Kai turns you into an aggressive punk. Too much of the Miyagi-do way of life leaves you wary of and unprepared for the inevitable confrontations life has in store for you. The show does a drat good job of arguing that Johnny and Daniel ultimately counterbalance each other; Daniel even unwittingly lays it out when he tells Johnny “We’re never going to be ‘done.’”
And this is why I think that ultimately they'll merge the two styles to take down Kreese. I mean, Johnny does literally what Miyagi did; beat the poo poo out of a bunch of punk teenagers to save a kid (and in this case, Miguel wasn't running away from pulling a jerk prank, unlike young Daniel-san) but Daniel still has no balance, and has been clearly harboring a grudge for thirty years, and considers it to have been a bad thing for Johnny to do.

They're both yin and yang, incomplete without what the other has to offer, and a couple of flawed humans who just need to goddamn sit down and talk things out.

Daniel clearly has no balance in his life, and has largely reduced the teachings of Mr. Miyagi to almost a caricature, Saturday morning cartoon 'and knowing is half the battle' level hollow sayings like 'violence never solved anything' when even Miyagi knew that sometimes you gotta jump a fence and beat the poo poo out of a bunch of punk teenagers.

Other people's comments about cycles of abuse are spot on. And so far, Johnny is the only person to recognize that this is what's happening.

Seriously, this show is amazing. It really reminds of why ST:TWOK was so good; it only works because of the history and flipping the script on the original, and taking the archetypes of the original and playing with them, writing them as human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

TheCenturion posted:

And this is why I think that ultimately they'll merge the two styles to take down Kreese.

I definitely think we'll see something like this in the next season.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gonna have to come up with a bad rear end name for the team up dojo. LL Dojo just doesn't sound cool enough. Miagi Kai?

Also I think Sam will wind up joining Cobra Kai and that will be what finally brings the two dojos together.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Gonna have to come up with a bad rear end name for the team up dojo. LL Dojo just doesn't sound cool enough. Miagi Kai?

Also I think Sam will wind up joining Cobra Kai and that will be what finally brings the two dojos together.

Oooh! Miguel and probably Hawk will wind up joining Kreese's old-school Cobra Kai, while Aisha, big booty loving short kid, and some others stay with Johnny, and Daniel and Robby try getting the old Miyagi-do going. Sam bridges Johnny's Cobra Kai and Miyagi-do, brings Miguel back from the Dark Side, so to speak, and together with Robbie, they all team up at the 51st annual All Valley.

I have to admit, after watching the entire series being a realistic deconstruction of the 80s black-and-white morality, it was neat to see Kreese come in as a perfect 80s action movie villain, literally stepping out of the shadows, big old stogie, and somehow having an evil master plan that starts with 'first, we win the local Karate tournament.....'

Also, here's another interesting idea; Johnny is stuck too much in the past; Daniel hasn't kept enough of the past. They both start to gain success when they move towards, guess what, balance!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I honestly thought Martin Kove had actually passed away so that final scene was like a HOLY loving poo poo for me as well.

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
Me and my best friend lost it at Johnny's comment during the moment of silence during the tournament.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I honestly thought Martin Kove had actually passed away so that final scene was like a HOLY loving poo poo for me as well.

Seriously how old is he

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I just stumbled across this thread and now i cant wait to get home from work and watch this

I didnt even know this show was a thing

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MiddleOne posted:

Seriously how old is he

He looks well considering that he's had a pretty hard time on this planet we call Earth.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

Seriously how old is he

72 according to wikipedia

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Even in pre-botox Hollywood, he looked old for being in his early 40s.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jackie Chan and Rocky 3 (as a movie) existing in the Karate Kid universe weirds me out.

Loved the show, definitely want them to grab Jaden and Chan to show them how much better kung fu is as opposed to their flawed karate teachings.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spacebump posted:

This show was great but one thing that bugged me was every time Daniel was introduced as a multi-time all Valley champ and everyone kind of ignores Johnny also won multiple times. They should have had a banner from one of his titles.

When Daniel finds himself at the end of the 5th episode is one of the highlights of the series. Such a great moment when his theme starts playing when he is finding his balance

I hope Season 2 has a tournament with Hillary Swank coaching a student and (much less likely) Jaden Smith entering as well.

Actually it's very likely, Will Smiths production company made the show.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

There's a small, vocal part of my brain that expects Kreese to turn out to be a Johnny's hallucination, a manifestation of his inner guilt towards bringing the Cobra Kais back in all their infamy. At the same time, it doesn't really jive with the overall tone of the series and an alcoholic delusion would be a little out of place.

EDIT: goddammit, sorry.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 7, 2018

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXI1byuVixA

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I saw an ad for this awhile back and pretty much rolled my eyes, thinking really, another one? But I really enjoyed watching this. Kinda curious how this didn't get snagged up by netflix/hulu/amazon. I've got youtube tv so you get youtube red for free and this seems to be the only watchable show they've put out.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

Darko posted:

Jackie Chan and Rocky 3 (as a movie) existing in the Karate Kid universe weirds me out.

Loved the show, definitely want them to grab Jaden and Chan to show them how much better kung fu is as opposed to their flawed karate teachings.

I think the Rocky 3 thing was mentioned specifically as a little in joke sort of thing, as "You're the Best" was originally written for Rocky 3 but then used as the song for Karate Kid

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

KTS posted:

I think the Rocky 3 thing was mentioned specifically as a little in joke sort of thing, as "You're the Best" was originally written for Rocky 3 but then used as the song for Karate Kid

And Karate Kid was directed by Rockys director and had the same composer and was hugely inspired by it. Just a good little in joke along with Chan being mentioned.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

TheCenturion posted:

I mean, Johnny does literally what Miyagi did; beat the poo poo out of a bunch of punk teenagers to save a kid (and in this case, Miguel wasn't running away from pulling a jerk prank, unlike young Daniel-san)
That was the moment that I decided I liked this new series a lot - not that Johnny beats the poo poo out of some jerk kids, but that as thanks for his finally doing a decent thing for a decent reason, he gets maced and knocked out by the police. Perfect in every way.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Echoing everyone else....we enjoyed the hell out of this and binged nine episodes. Can't wait for season 2, and we're firing up the original on Amazon now.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

:laugh: blow the competition away

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

phosdex posted:

I saw an ad for this awhile back and pretty much rolled my eyes, thinking really, another one? But I really enjoyed watching this. Kinda curious how this didn't get snagged up by netflix/hulu/amazon. I've got youtube tv so you get youtube red for free and this seems to be the only watchable show they've put out.

It's not that the others didn't want it, everyone else lost in the bidding process against Youtube. As for why Youtube so desperately laid their hands on a show which is nothing like any of their other selection, you be my guest.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno posted:

He looks well considering that he's had a pretty hard time on this planet we call Earth.

You guys are jerks. I worked so hard on this and nuthin.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The nature documentary?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MiddleOne posted:

The nature documentary?

YOU'RE ON THE LIST

This is literally the only other thing Martin Kove did outside of KK that anyone ever watched.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rhyno posted:

This is literally the only other thing Martin Kove did outside of KK that anyone ever watched.

Rambo?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I remember him from Cagney & Lacey

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This show was amazing and I need season 2 right the gently caress now

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I just binged this show. I didn't expect to. It's just after I watched the first episode I couldn't stop. The hell? This was so good.

[edit]

Solice Kirsk posted:

Johnny is gonna join Miyagi-Do Karate Dojo to reunite with his son and make amends with Daniel. Miguel is gonna run with that betrayal narrative hard, while Kreese turns him full dark side.

[edit 2] Also, Jonny explaining what happened between him and Daniel back in the day to Miguel totally reminded me of this great/hilarious video essay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Gz_iTuRMM

teagone fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 8, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I always thought Daniel was a prick in KK. He was always rude to strangers and acting like a trashy Jersey sleazeball, but he didn't start the fight with Johnny. If I remember right Johnny kicked him before Daniel punched him. Not really a sucker punch, just punch up at someone while you were on the ground trying to get up.

It is funny seeing Danny still being hung up on one year of slight torment from 30 years ago. What a little baby.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Yeah Johnny pushed him and Ali's radio down, then Daniel charged at him twice where Johnny just dodges and trips him. Thats two times Daniel got up and could have realized he was out-matched and backed off but he wanted to be a hero and a badass in front of Ali and his new buddies and then Johnny kicked him but didn't finish him (no mercy) and again not knowing when hes beat Daniel again comes after Johnny who combos his rear end to the ground.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

teagone posted:

[edit 2] Also, Jonny explaining what happened between him and Daniel back in the day to Miguel totally reminded me of this great/hilarious video essay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Gz_iTuRMM

"Daniel is granted unnatural strength by the demon sorcerer Miyagi" is a line for the ages

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
We have an arg my dear goons.

The dojo number I left a message, but you don't have to. "Johnny" will call you back.

There is also an email no response yet
cobrakai-dojo@hotmail.com

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 8, 2018

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I just rewatched KK2 and 3 last night, and I have a few observations.

1) Daniel sucker punches people. A lot. He suckers Johnny on the beach, he sucker punches Chozen, he sucker punches Tommy. It's like his go-to move. and I don't have a problem with it, per se; a fight's a fight. But he needs to own it.

2) Anybody who's surprised that Danny became a car salesman needs to go back and watch the original movies. He's *always* had that sleezey, won't-shut-up patter, talks things up, really enthusiastic salesman speech pattern.

3) Miyagi agrees with Cobra Kai, but where Cobra Kai embraces the idea that a fight should be given your all, Miyagi respects and fears it. Miyagi refuses to fight Sato, to the point of fleeing his own country and staying away for 40+ years, because he knows that to fight Sato would be to kill Sato. And make no mistake, Miyagi is a stone cold motherfucker. He flat out says, he didn't kill Kreese not out of morality, sense of right, or anything like that, but because he wanted Kreese to be hurt.

3b) The original Rambo: First Blood, in the novel more than the movie, was an examination of the difference between Teague as a Korean War vet, and Rambo as a Vietnam War vet, and how society treated the wars, and the men who fought them, differently. There are echos of this in Miyagi versus Kreese.

4) It makes perfect sense that Cobra Kai would get a lifetime ban thanks to Tommy Barnes' antics. Punch to the face between rounds? Yeah, that'll get you an indefinite ban.

5) It's loving criminal that Pat Morita didn't win any awards for KK1 or KK2. That man could communicate more with a twitch of the lip and set of the brow than most actors can with a twenty minute soliloquy.

As to KK1, I mean, Johnny was a douchebag, but he never went after Daniel, with possibly the sole exception of the beginning of the beach scene.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

It is funny seeing Danny still being hung up on one year of slight torment from 30 years ago. What a little baby.

Danny isn't really shown to be that hung up about Jonny to begin with though, it's him resurrecting Kobra Kai that makes him go all scorched earth which makes sense considering the sheer insanity of KK3.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
what all happened in kk3 that was so wild

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

zeal posted:

what all happened in kk3 that was so wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLC1fSLnJNY

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
and that's the guy who got namedropped at the tournament board hearing, who Johnny never met?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

zeal posted:

and that's the guy who got namedropped at the tournament board hearing, who Johnny never met?

Yes, Terry Silver. They also name-drop Mike Barnes ("Karate's Bad-boy") who is hired by Silver to beat up Danny.

You really should watch KK3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
tbh I preferred going into it from a more Johnny-centric perspective, having had relatively little contact with any of the movies but the first and fourth (which I saw in theaters as a boy, and remember nothing of except that Pat Morita teaches a teen girl)

• Locked thread