Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
yeah. splitting rocks and poo poo? pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

this is a bad post

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

more pictures from the desert; started to edit them into my last post and forgot and closed my browser

the color one is made from three B&W exposures taken through red, green, and blue filters

tricolor by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

pram
Jun 10, 2001
truly captures the boredom of being in a wasteland

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
The desert will eat a man in a rounding error. it is one of the things i fear and love most

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

The desert will eat a man in a rounding error. it is one of the things i fear and love most

for real http://www.otherhand.org/home-page/search-and-rescue/the-hunt-for-the-death-valley-germans/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

oh this is one of my most loved genres

there is an air accident/incident blog thats just fascinating. i cant remember the url maybe sagebrush or somebody can pipe up

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

i have friends that have done that day hike to that secret oasis. i was terrified for them

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the desert satan

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
run

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

atomicthumbs posted:

the desert satan

how’d you know my mother-in-law lives in phoenix!

:dadjoke:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i think about it every day

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i really cannot understate how much happier i was living outside, doing manual labor, and working closely with a small community of people (good and bad). it felt like i was inhabiting a different brain.

part of it was probably the constant exercise and relatively healthy diet. but i think a lot also had to do with the simplicity of that lifestyle: my entire life revolved around work and the people on my crew. it was very much a living in the moment thing.

here's a video from one of my crews (i'm the guy from my av):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z4AoB6VHm0

this was a wonderful video op. thanks for sharing.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it's better than that other yospos yosimite video

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Jonny 290 posted:

oh this is one of my most loved genres

there is an air accident/incident blog thats just fascinating. i cant remember the url maybe sagebrush or somebody can pipe up
If you liked that you might enjoy this NYTimes arty
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/22/magazine/voyages-joshua-tree-lost-hiker.html

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I lived in a hut for a bit and it was real neat

ride bike every day and go camping when you can. computers are terrible

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

i've done some hiking and camping but my first deer hunt last year was the most interesting.

all i did all day was slowly walk around the desert alone and look for deer. i wasn't going anywhere, and i didn't have any tasks to accomplish. i looked more thoroughly at my surroundings than i ever have. i climbed up and down hills. i did some reading around lunchtime because the deer wouldn't be moving much then anyway, but it felt very weird to sit out on a rock in the desert and try to read this book, so i went back and laid in the shade of my tent and took a nap, another thing i never do.

i really liked it and i'm looking forward to scouting for this year's hunt

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i'm going out this fall. very nice

(did you bag one?)

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

My wife and I are taking the Washington Hunters course over the next few weeks. I don't really want to kill an animal but I want an excuse to walk around nature.

Maybe we'll try hunting turkeys? I hear its challenging but I don't care much for deer.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I always associate hunting with the cabella's type outdoors crew; bringing tons of semi-portable versions of your home amenities and drinking a lot and not moving much

the closest thing to a tent used is a blind

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ADINSX posted:

My wife and I are taking the Washington Hunters course over the next few weeks. I don't really want to kill an animal but I want an excuse to walk around nature.

Maybe we'll try hunting turkeys? I hear its challenging but I don't care much for deer.

if you want an outdoor challenge that involves stalking and shooting at animals might i suggest photography? i think it's mega fun and you still get to buy expensive gear.

e: not necessarily knocking hunting, especially if you eat what you kill

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

President Beep posted:

if you want an outdoor challenge that involves stalking and shooting at animals might i suggest photography? i think it's mega fun and you still get to buy expensive gear.

can agree with this

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's nice to know that at least some yosposters acknowledge that at a basic level what they do for a living is bad for them and slowly destroying their lives

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

President Beep posted:

She's the one more excited about the hunting part, and thats the plan, which is why I'd prefer turkeys because I like turkey.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah i'm going out this fall. very nice

(did you bag one?)

no luck. i put in for deer and elk this year but only drew an elk tag, up near los alamos in what's supposed to be a pretty good elk unit.

ADINSX posted:

they are supposed to be pretty challenging, yes, but it should be fun. i highly recommend steven rinella's "the complete guide to hunting, butchering, and cooking wild game". volume 2 covers small game and fowl including turkey, but both volumes are great. https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Hunting-Butchering-Cooking/dp/0812987055

he also has a tv show (some episodes are on netflix, search "meateater") and a podcast. he puts forth a responsible and ethical form of hunting that i find very admirable and try to emulate.

lancemantis posted:

I always associate hunting with the cabella's type outdoors crew; bringing tons of semi-portable versions of your home amenities and drinking a lot and not moving much

the closest thing to a tent used is a blind

do you live in wisconsin because yeah it's pretty much true in a lot of places. western hunting is way different.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

jony neuemonic posted:

touching computers is rotting my brain out of my skull but nothing else i can do pays enough to survive in this capitalist hellworld.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ADINSX posted:

She's the one more excited about the hunting part, and thats the plan, which is why I'd prefer turkeys because I like turkey.

as an avowed omnivore that is too much of a babby to kill his own food i really can’t look down at such a pass time.

trophy hunters on the other hand... :toughguy:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

President Beep posted:

as an avowed omnivore that is too much of a babby to kill his own food i really can’t look down at such a pass time.

trophy hunters on the other hand... :toughguy:

many states have laws against 'wanton waste' of wildlife. in such states, 'trophy hunters' would be wise to pack out their meat or be in deep poo poo when a fish & game checkpoint (yes, they exist) finds them driving home with a fresh skull & no meat. if you wish to make some sort of vague ethical distinction between a guy who wants meat vs. a guy who wants big antlers and meat, i don't know what to tell you

my elk tag is for antlerless elk, gently caress packing a big bull elk out even if i did find one

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

do you live in wisconsin because yeah it's pretty much true in a lot of places. western hunting is way different.

in the sense that pretty much the entire central US is indistinguishable from one part to another, yes

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

if you wish to make some sort of vague ethical distinction between a guy who wants meat vs. a guy who wants big antlers and meat, i don't know what to tell you

nope. not the point i'm making.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
starting to think about going on shorter excursions in local wilderness until I can start to think about going on longer treks

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

dont forget to bring a stroller

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
tbh im amazed the places people will take regular old strollers

wheel lines through mud

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

more pictures from the desert; started to edit them into my last post and forgot and closed my browser

the color one is made from three B&W exposures taken through red, green, and blue filters

tricolor by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

i have that pic of yours with the radar dome rising above the ridge like the moon saved bc it's one of my favorite photos i have ever seen.

thanks again :)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

starting to think about going on shorter excursions in local wilderness until I can start to think about going on longer treks

this is called hiking

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Silver Alicorn posted:

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

this is called hiking

yes but ok so

im almost 40, my body is broken, and i am rehabilitating myself to do things like this

day hikes are awesome, but even if you cannot do that, go for a 90 minute walk with a destination and a (small healthy refreshing) snack at the far end. start stretching out and exploring new things. i'm blessed because for 5.20 a day i can get a denver transit pass and go ride a few stops down on rail or bus and then either walk or ride my lovely bike home. it's way more motivating when you know that all you have to do is go home, that way you don't say "eh i'll turn around now" and short sell your jaunt

after that go for a full 8hr day in a park across town, and then start lining things up for an overnight hammock or small tent camp in a nearby organized camping area, state park or w/e

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh and the rule is: you can bring smart devices but all they can do is play music and alert you of severe weather. dont go on a hike while u stare at your phone. put that poo poo away

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

oh and the rule is: you can bring smart devices but all they can do is play music and alert you of severe weather. dont go on a hike while u stare at your phone. put that poo poo away

no loving music while i'm hiking or i will throw you and your stupid phone off the nearest cliff :colbert:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

phone? i push around my own calliope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

no loving music while i'm hiking or i will throw you and your stupid phone off the nearest cliff :colbert:

first of all, if im out hiking or riding, you're nowhere nearby

For group stuff tho, yeah, no headphones and def no speakers