Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Why the gently caress are vehicles so cheap in PNW?

I look at this and the cycle asylum craigslist threads, and drat, you guys have some great poo poo. Here in NC they'd be asking $11,000 yelling I KNOW WHAT I GOT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The worst turbo setup. Eons of lag and no appreciable benefit. Novelty for novelty’s sake?

No joke.
Rear-mount can work, but you have to size for it, and really, why bother if you have as much room up front as that thing does? Rear-mount is when you can't get the turbo anywhere else.

I was liking the car until I hit the pics with the boost pipes visible in the interior. That part's even dumber than the rear-mount itself.
Ferrari-style moose center caps rule, though.

slidebite posted:

I'm the general purpose braided PVC hose being used as a fuel line

That's oil supply for the turbo. Not really a problem, as it not a lot of pressure, and doesn't get very hot since it's only for the turbo. Still think I'd use something else on the pressure side.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

mobby_6kl posted:

Almost too nice for a winter beater or something. The interior looks almost as good with some minimal wear corresponding to 80k km. I guess the catch is that it's an automatic with 1.0l but it can still only appreciate in value, right? :v:

Is that a starting bid figure or what? Why is it so cheap?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

spouse posted:

Why the gently caress are vehicles so cheap in PNW?

I look at this and the cycle asylum craigslist threads, and drat, you guys have some great poo poo. Here in NC they'd be asking $11,000 yelling I KNOW WHAT I GOT.

anyone who's actually suffered through owning one of these cars knows this price is actually where they should be.

they're not fast, most have open diffs front and rear, very heavy and horrible to do any work on.

greatrambino
May 7, 2007
"wifebody"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TotalLossBrain posted:

Is that a starting bid figure or what? Why is it so cheap?
Nope, that's just the amount of money they want in exchange for the car. I don't know either, I can't see anything obviously wrong with it, maybe it just doesn't have a current tech inspection (TUV) but that's not a big issue since it seems to be in good shape.

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/...0e-bffab260065e

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

Yeah I messaged the seller on their facebook listing as soon as I saw this last night, would pretty much buy this sight unseen unless y'all can talk me out of it? She said she had someone coming in the AM so I'm assuming it's probably gone but if not I'll probably make a run at it.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Looks awful and overpriced, but it's a Westfalia so it's par for the course. There's almost certainly going to be rust inside the body panel behind the fridge/stove (if included) unless it was torn apart and fixed previously as water tends to condense behind those appliances when they run. Bubbling paint on that side would be a dead giveaway. All the fluids are going to have to be replaced. Don't know if it's carbureted or using CIS, either way it can be finicky and I think VW carbs of that vintage have a tendency have the brass fuel barb fall out while driving (might be limited to VW beetles only though). I can't remember what but there's something weird with the gas tank in those too, some rubber hose between tanks or to an evap canister that loves to crack with age and make everything smell like gasoline.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

unless y'all can talk me out of it?

your femurs are the crumple zone?

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

Sex Weirdo posted:

your femurs are the crumple zone?

Hmmm an interesting point! So that price is no bueno? I feel like I never see these close to that, even beat to poo poo. I guess I'll hold off if it's a definite basket case.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

Hmmm an interesting point! So that price is no bueno? I feel like I never see these close to that, even beat to poo poo. I guess I'll hold off if it's a definite basket case.

The picture you posted does not make me think "yeah, this thing is probably in real good shape"

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
"Not a lot of rust because we left it under a tree."

llllllol

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Darchangel posted:

That's oil supply for the turbo. Not really a problem, as it not a lot of pressure, and doesn't get very hot since it's only for the turbo. Still think I'd use something else on the pressure side.
This isn't a fuel pump?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

Unless you want to drop a ton of money because you dream of owning a Westfalia, I would hard pass on that.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

Breakfast Feud posted:

Unless you want to drop a ton of money because you dream of owning a Westfalia, I would hard pass on that.

yeah that seems to be the general consensus. Thanks for the reality check.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slidebite posted:

This isn't a fuel pump?

No, it's an oil pump. Notice the brown/black poo poo in the hoses? That's clear hose.
Also, STS specifically does rear mounts, which need a seperate oiling system, so matches up.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Expensive but cool

that rear window

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Snowy posted:

Expensive but cool

that rear window

:wow:

a shooting brake volvo in basically mint condition. that's definitely some gold, even at that price

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That fucken exhaust man

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Better hope that glass never breaks because hoooo boy good luck finding a replacement.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

DiggityDoink posted:

:wow:

a shooting brake volvo in basically mint condition. that's definitely some gold, even at that price

Cool car, but what's desirable about a 3-speed auto?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Darchangel posted:

Also, STS specifically does rear mounts, which need a seperate oiling system, so matches up.

I wouldn't trust a single thing STS ever has done, their mechanical kludges seem to work on the hot side but their application of thermodynamics on the coldside is so ridiculously wrong (ceramic coated charge pipe is an intercooler?) that I swear their marketing team designed it. And its quintuple :wtf: since that Volvo (well the 740 engine donor and earlier 240s) came turbocharged, and there's plenty of room to make just about any turbo fit easily.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

DJ Commie posted:

I wouldn't trust a single thing STS ever has done, their mechanical kludges seem to work on the hot side but their application of thermodynamics on the coldside is so ridiculously wrong (ceramic coated charge pipe is an intercooler?) that I swear their marketing team designed it. And its quintuple :wtf: since that Volvo (well the 740 engine donor and earlier 240s) came turbocharged, and there's plenty of room to make just about any turbo fit easily.

Well, that's a DIY setup, just using some STS parts, it appears. I doubt even STS would route the charge pipe through the interior.
I agree with you on the WTF. I pointed that out on my original reply.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Snowy posted:

that rear window

New Volvo wagons still imitate that rear window! :eng101:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

and it's a crime the seller didn't show the 1800es from its best angle

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
unf

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Leperflesh posted:

and it's a crime the seller didn't show the 1800es from its best angle

I know, seriously. And no interior shots wtf.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
A friend is looking for a Jeep and sending me links asking if they're good. I owned an SJ once, I know nothing about Wranglers.

Other than this might be a good deal or might be a money pit, and is speeled wrong in every way possible:

"needs some love but is perfect for a project or hunting vehicle" is a MASSIVE red flag, but otoh, it's a cheap CJ, and I can hook you up with a Mopar parts counter guy and maybe get a discount. If they still carry the parts. Which they probably do, because AMC didn't make anything but bodies and engines in-house. All the accessories were Ford and the transmissions were Chevy or Mopar depending on the era, with Buick engines way back. AMC was fuckin' weird.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 10, 2018

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Chillbro Baggins posted:

A friend is looking for a Jeep and sending me links asking if they're good. I owned an SJ once, I know nothing about Wranglers.

Other than this might be a good deal or might be a money pit, and is speeled wrong in every way possible:

"needs some love but is perfect for a project or hunting vehicle" is a MASSIVE red flag, but otoh, it's a cheap CJ, and I can hook you up with a Mopar parts counter guy and maybe get a discount. If they still carry the parts. Which they probably do, because AMC didn't make anything but bodies and engines in-house. All the accessories were Ford and the transmissions were Chevy or Mopar depending on the era, with Buick engines way back. AMC was fuckin' weird.

It says 6 cylinders, but I'm pretty sure I only count four in the picture. That's all it's supposed to have, but a worrying detail.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Chillbro Baggins posted:

AMC was fuckin' weird.

More like ahead of their time, now everyone uses everyone else's engines and transmissions.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

It says 6 cylinders, but I'm pretty sure I only count four in the picture. That's all it's supposed to have, but a worrying detail.

To be fair, there's a lot of ads I see on CL from people that can't tell the difference between a manual and and automatic transmission. I know people that when then check engine light comes on in their car, open the hood and say "Yup, its still there" and that's the extent of their car knowledge. Not knowing how many cylinders an engine has by looking at it isn't surprising if it wasn't your car.

Unless it was sitting in pieces and was hastily bolted back together for the ad, I'm wondering how much could be wrong on a car as basic as an old Jeep. All sorts of driveline fuckery I imagine (and sourcing parts would be fun), but there's not a hell of a lot of wiring to be hacked up... no power steering, no power brakes, no EFI or emissions. I imagine the carb needs to be gone through and probably the ignition needs work, and brakes but... maybe I've been watching too much Roadkill.

boxen fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 10, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

God damnit, it's "Willys", pronounced "willis", not "willies" and certainly not "Willy's". And that's not a Willys in the first place, it's an AMC CJ.
Also, it says "Willy" on the side, so maybe that's the joke - it belongs to Willy, so it's Willy's.

And yeah, definitely a 4-banger.

edit: gently caress, I'm wrong. AMC didn't take over until 1970. And AMC used AMC engines, BTW, retiring the 225 V6 when they took over. This one has the 134 ci Hurricane 4 cylinder, which is an OHV version of the original Go-Devil. BTW, did you know that a down-draft carb won't fit under the hood on a flat-fender with the Go-Devil? Original is updraft, and the hood is right on top of the flatty 4. I had a neighbor who had one with a bread tin riveted to the hood to clear the newer carb. No, really.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 10, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Darchangel posted:

God damnit, it's "Willys", pronounced "willis", not "willies" and certainly not "Willy's". And that's not a Willys in the first place, it's an AMC CJ.
Also, it says "Willy" on the side, so maybe that's the joke - it belongs to Willy, so it's Willy's.

And yeah, definitely a 4-banger.

edit: gently caress, I'm wrong. AMC didn't take over until 1970. And AMC used AMC engines, BTW, retiring the 225 V6 when they took over. This one has the 134 ci Hurricane 4 cylinder, which is an OHV version of the original Go-Devil. BTW, did you know that a down-draft carb won't fit under the hood on a flat-fender with the Go-Devil? Original is updraft, and the hood is right on top of the flatty 4. I had a neighbor who had one with a bread tin riveted to the hood to clear the newer carb. No, really.

What chu talkin' bout willies

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

What chu talkin' bout willies

I want you to know that I appreciate this.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2089748914385830

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

That thing is amazing.

I find it hard to believe that it wouldn't collapse like a staked vampire in a Blade movie if you actually tried to move it anywhere though.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
PLZ STEAL MY NEIGHBORS CAR.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Rhyno posted:

PLZ STEAL MY NEIGHBORS CAR.

lol especially since they say cryptocurrency is cool by them. anyone trading in buttcoins is out of their loving mind or a scammer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
hot dog!!

https://utica.craigslist.org/cto/d/make-offer-rare-1987-taurus/6586056732.html