Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

after using an xps13 the bezel on a macbook air make it look like a olpc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
plus the crank o the side doesn't help

pram
Jun 10, 2001
macbook air lol what is this 2010

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I pretty much never see macbooks out and about, I think I see more ipads with keyboards than macbooks and I sill see more 2015 macbook pros than the new ones

I'm just curious if they're going to walk anything back like a security port, the people here have to get these awful stick on "feet" brackets for the mbps so they can secure them properly

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Maybe a dumb question: why does forbes apparently drop a story with the title "ios x.x has a nasty surprise" every time ios is updated?

I installed the google app thinking it would let me reverse image search and the top card above the fold was this anti-Apple propaganda

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines posted:

luv 2 radiate rf through the bottom of my chassis

remember this?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I see lots of project manager types with MacBooks. it’s not like they’re doing anything other than writing email and making slides, when they’re not walking between meetings. seems like the ideal machine

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

pram posted:

macbook air lol what is this 2010

it’s good and will do what I want for a while. it’s infinitely better than both the x61 I needed to use after my x200 died

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

remember this?

the sort of quality design we've come to expect from apple.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

remember this?

what the gently caress is this

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
external wifi antenna for towers

a perfectly reasonable thing

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it actually is. which is why it is an old steve-era thing.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

remember this?

i don't

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you gotta start those plugs small before you get to full speaker gauge

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Agile Vector posted:

you gotta start those plugs small before you get to full speaker gauge

at least the base is flared

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's the wifi antenna for a g5 tower because the solid aluminum housing made it impossible for electromagnetic energy to escape

there was a little SMA port or whatever on the back of the case and if you wanted wifi you plugged that thing in

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

I see lots of project manager types with MacBooks. it’s not like they’re doing anything other than writing email and making slides, when they’re not walking between meetings. seems like the ideal machine

:yossame:

MacBooks also serve as a barrier for the worst and most obvious trojans. click away on suspicious emails johnny manager

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Boiled Water posted:

MacBooks also serve as a barrier for the worst and most obvious trojans. click away on suspicious emails johnny manager

agreed i downloaded the mackeeper antivirus and it works great

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

jokes on you, I ignore all my email

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sagebrush posted:

it's the wifi antenna for a g5 tower because the solid aluminum housing made it impossible for electromagnetic energy to escape

there was a little SMA port or whatever on the back of the case and if you wanted wifi you plugged that thing in

having an antenna jutting out isn't exactly unusual for towers though.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shifty Pony posted:

having an antenna jutting out isn't exactly unusual for towers though.

yeah, I don’t know what the big deal is. haven’t you ever seen an external antenna on a tower?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

graph posted:

i don't

oh wait that went on the back of the huge g5 metal towers

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

as noted it makes perfect sense in context, but otoh the context does not make much sense to me in that i don't get who uses wifi for a tower

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

yeah, I don’t know what the big deal is. haven’t you ever seen an external antenna on a tower?

mostly the design and the fact that it stuck rigidly out the back. the pc equivalent were cheap crap but they were movable

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

as noted it makes perfect sense in context, but otoh the context does not make much sense to me in that i don't get who uses wifi for a tower

people who don’t care about cables, so about 99% of the population

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

infernal machines posted:

mostly the design and the fact that it stuck rigidly out the back. the pc equivalent were cheap crap but they were movable

oh ok yeah that is significantly worse than the little hinged rubber omnidirectional antenna that you found on pci 802.11b/g adaptors.

in a residential setting usually because the desk wasn't near a cable/phone jack and the internet connection was only 5mbps anyway.

in a business environment I have no loving idea but do remember that 802.11 was deployed in a lot of situations that made no sense just because it was new/fancy and people didn't grasp that 54mbps WiFi was nowhere near half as fast as 100mbps cat5.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

i do it sucks

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Dongslayer. posted:

i do it sucks

mama, tell your children
not to dooooo what I have done

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The Management posted:

sure

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
they hid the antennas on the cheese grater under the PCI slot labels and the regulatory labels on the bottom and I’m actually real impressed they pulled it off.

Related: in order to have fewer holes on the casing of the iMac 2017, they removed the microphone array from the top edge and back of the enclosure, and moved it to the gap between the bottom of the LCD and the ‘chin’.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lmao new iOS beta disables the USB port if the phone hasn't been unlocked in 7 days to gently caress over the usb data extraction tools

they just need to change it to 1 day

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

NEED MORE MILK posted:

lmao new iOS beta disables the USB port if the phone hasn't been unlocked in 7 days to gently caress over the usb data extraction tools

did they announce this or did they let people figure it out on their own like the mac address spoofing?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

NEED MORE MILK posted:

nice

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

NEED MORE MILK posted:

i’m hard

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
but wait it’s much much better than that

quote:

USB Restricted Mode in iOS 11.4
In the iOS 11.4 Beta, Apple introduced a new called USB Restricted Mode. In fact, the feature made its first appearance in the iOS 11.3 Beta, but was later removed from the final release. This is how it works:

“To improve security, for a locked iOS device to communicate with USB accessories you must connect an accessory via lightning connector to the device while unlocked – or enter your device passcode while connected – at least once a week.”

The functionality of USB Restricted Mode is actually very simple. Once the iPhone or iPad is updated to the latest version of iOS supporting the feature, the device will disable the USB data connection over the Lightning port one week after the device has been last unlocked.

At this point, it is still unclear whether the USB port is blocked if the device has not been unlocked with a passcode for 7 consecutive days; if the device has not been unlocked at all (password or biometrics); or if the device has not been unlocked or connected to a trusted USB device or computer. In our test, we were able to confirm the USB lock after the device has been left idle for 7 days. During this period, we have not tried to unlock the device with Touch ID or connect it to a paired USB device. What we do know, however, is that after the 7 days the Lightning port is only good for charging.

Forensic Consequences of USB Restricted Mode
Restricted USB Mode requires an iPhone running 11.3 to be unlocked at least once every 7 days. Otherwise, the Lightning port will lock down to charge only mode. The iPhone or iPad will still charge, but it will no longer attempt to establish a data connection. Even the “Trust this computer?” prompt will not be displayed once the device is connected to the computer, and any existing lockdown records (iTunes pairing records) will not be honoured until the user unlocks the device with a passcode.

https://blog.elcomsoft.com/2018/05/ios-11-4-to-disable-usb-port-after-7-days-what-it-means-for-mobile-forensics/

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
gotta ensure that phones arrive at the fbi with data intact to be unlocked, don't want them to be wiped by an "accomplice" beforehand

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
week is too long

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’m assuming the reasoning for that is to keep the FBI and hackers from getting at that kind of thing?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

plz don’t post pics of my dilz in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

The Management posted:

plz don’t post pics of my dilz in this thread

a warning hazard???