Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I'd bet my Orlan daughter that players that reach the halfway point of the game are a minority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

CottonWolf posted:

I wonder how that interacts with abilities like the barbarian one that stops lower level enemies engaging you. Does it just never trigger because the scaling removes all enemies of a lower level?

In PoE1, level scaling didn't affect the enemies' actual levels. Only their stats.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

I'd bet my Orlan daughter that players that reach the halfway point of the game are a minority.

Achievement tracking shows that a not-insignificant number of players of all games don't make it past the first hour.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Zokari posted:

Achievement tracking shows that a not-insignificant number of players of all games don't make it past the first hour.

I was just getting ready to say this, it blows my mind.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
And that is just of the people who actually turned the game on, ive got tons of games on steam ive not even opened because of bundles and gifts and whatnot.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

I've got a lot of games I enjoyed that I never got around to finishing. I played Dragon Age II up till I got a house and then I was all "gently caress it, I've got a house, I'm good" and stopped (admittedly the game started getting super awful after that point). The first half of D:OS II is great but after that the item scaling sucks. So forth.

Lots of games have great first halves but don't stick the landing so I stop bothering. Others I've just gotten distracted from. I like the new Battletech game a ton but I'm not gonna finish it by Tuesday.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

There will be people that buy this game because Critical Role™ told them to but they get confused at even Relaxed difficulty and give up

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Relaxed is pretty dang easy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

frajaq posted:

There will be people that buy this game because Critical Role™ told them to but they get confused at even Relaxed difficulty and give up

Really? I thought CR's audience was tabletop gamers? Or is it like cooking shows where nobody who watches them actually ever cooks anymore

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

frajaq posted:

Are there really people who'd enjoy a niche show about a dungeons and dragons campaign but wouldn't get a PC RPG on the easiest setting?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Well, they're playing 5th edition, how smart can they be? :smug:

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Example of minor reactivity that only comes from importing that I saw on Cohh's stream: Tekehu asked the Watcher about relationships and Cohh was able to bring up Iovara as a lover based on his choice in POE1. So, it's stuff like dialogue options you took.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

Example of minor reactivity that only comes from importing that I saw on Cohh's stream
God damnit now I'll actually need to finish a playthrough with the options that I want.

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away

Zokari posted:

I backed the first game. I used to play Baldur's Gate 2 at least once a year a long time ago. Maybe my tastes have changed, but I just couldn't get into Pillars of Eternity for some reason, and never made it to Twin Elms on my two play throughs. :shrug:

I'm still cautiously optimistic about Josh Sawyer's: gently caress You Suck my Dick, Josh Sawyer's Dream RPG though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Torgo2727 posted:

I backed the first game. I used to play Baldur's Gate 2 at least once a year a long time ago. Maybe my tastes have changed, but I just couldn't get into Pillars of Eternity for some reason, and never made it to Twin Elms on my two play throughs. :shrug:

I'm still cautiously optimistic about Josh Sawyer's: gently caress You Suck my Dick, Josh Sawyer's Dream RPG though.

No no. This game is Josh Sawyer's Pirates!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

chaosapiant posted:

I have Wednesday as a PTO day. Yay! Gonna come home Tuesday evening, do "hang out with girlfriend until she gets sleepy" stuff and then play all night!

jerman999 posted:

I’m in the middle of grading a huge number of MBA final projects and have to push out a manuscript tomorrow. I’m hoping I can sneak in an hour of char creation before bed tomorrow.

Impermanent posted:

i'm working from home tomorrow so i'm actually going to be playing this game while getting paid

2house2fly posted:

My work day begins at 10AM PST :thumbsup:

Roobanguy posted:

Game comes out an hour before I get off work tomorrow. Can’t wait to get home tomorrow and jump onto a boat. :)

Remember the decrypting can take a couple of hours if you preloaded. You can download and install remotely, so if you're at work when it launches it might be better to download it that way then.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 8, 2018

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Really? I thought CR's audience was tabletop gamers? Or is it like cooking shows where nobody who watches them actually ever cooks anymore

It's this, the majority of Critical Role's audience have never picked up a d20.

I'm pretty sure because I'm a big baby my strategy will be to play on Veteran difficulty with absolutely zero content scaling.

--

I'm having real trouble deciding if I want to multiclass my companions or not. I'm going Monk/Cipher and there's a lot of companions that have Cipher as an option too.

I'm leaning towards MULTICLASS EVERYONE just because.

So far, thoughts:

Eder: Gets to be his FighterRogue swashbuckling self.
Aloth: maybe got buff and will be a Battlemage with the weapon-summoning spells, but it's tempting to stay a pure wizard.
Maia: I honestly don't know. If multiclassed will probably be with Rogue so I can set her on an easy autopilot AI.
Pallegina: Stays either full Paladin or Paladin/Chanter.
Serafen: Look, obviously I have to play around with his wild magic poo poo so he gets the multiclass treatment even if it sucks.
Tekehu: Will actually probably be a pure druid? I dunno if Druid/Chanter is really worth it.
Xoti: Almost certainly a full Priest, only room for one punchmaster here and it is me.
Fassina: If Aloth goes Battlemage I guess Fassina can be a pure mage.
Konstanten: This guy actually probably gets to be a full Chanter? I wanna see them high level songs.
Rekke: I don't really want to share my monk-ness so I guess he gets to be a full Fighter or maybe the Barbarian multiclass.
Ydwin: Feel pretty comfortable multiclassing this weirdo as a backline Cipher/Rogue.

I feel like this setup leaves me maybe with too many melee frontliners and not enough people hanging in the back lines, but the landscapes are more open and less chokepointy in this game so I don't know how relevant that will be.

Standard reminder companion image:

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
So is the idea behind sidekicks that they are just companions minus development time? As in, DLCs will probably give them more dialogue, quests, etc., before adding more companions? The conjurer chick is cute but can wait for a second playthrough after DLCs drop if she doesn't have barks and whatnot.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

MartianAgitator posted:

So is the idea behind sidekicks that they are just companions minus development time? As in, DLCs will probably give them more dialogue, quests, etc., before adding more companions? The conjurer chick is cute but can wait for a second playthrough after DLCs drop if she doesn't have barks and whatnot.

One of the not unlocked stretch goals was to make Ydwin a full companion, so it'll either by DLC or a lost opportunity. They still have unique personalities and voice acting, but have less involved quests and don't get to partake in the relationship system. That probably makes them comparable to POE1 companions, even? It's not like Pallegina's or Sagani's quests were particularly involved, and I don't even remember much "rest dialogue" for Pallegina.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

There’s been no indication that there will be further development for those hirelings.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
everyone keeps talking like these sidekicks will Definitely Get DLC but has anyone actually said they will?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Impermanent posted:

everyone keeps talking like these sidekicks will Definitely Get DLC but has anyone actually said they will?

No.

Also, history importing bugfixes confirmed to not hit day 1 sadly. :(

Guess I'll have to resort to customizing a legacy. I hope the import only reactivity I'll be missing isn't anything too substantial.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

No, plus it is exceptionally unlikely given they aren't doing a proper expansion this time on top of companions being more complicated and fully voiced.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

DLC will be a hot spring scene with the Watcher and the talking sword.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Impermanent posted:

No. They wouldn't though because DLC's are a touchy topic.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

GrandpaPants posted:

One of the not unlocked stretch goals was to make Ydwin a full companion, so it'll either by DLC or a lost opportunity. They still have unique personalities and voice acting, but have less involved quests and don't get to partake in the relationship system. That probably makes them comparable to POE1 companions, even? It's not like Pallegina's or Sagani's quests were particularly involved, and I don't even remember much "rest dialogue" for Pallegina.

Pallegina and Sagani at least got multiple scenes, and Sagani's final one had a number of different resolutions. If they are comparable to Maneha and Devil of Caroc in that they get one quest scene that doesn't even feel like is has earned any of it's drama (and doesn't really deliver a solid character beat anyway) that'll suck, but I guess it'll be cool if they get barks and dialogue/scripted sequence interjections. Better more pirates on the Salty Mouthful than fewer, anyway.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I thought sidekick quests were just small quests to recruit them, not to deal with their backstory

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The only touchy topic here, is that apparently everyone wants to touch Ydwin

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The first half of D:OS II is great but after that the item scaling sucks. So forth.

There are mods to fix this, if it made you drop the game. Certainly made my playthrough a lot more enjoyable.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

FunkMonkey posted:

I was just getting ready to say this, it blows my mind.
It's mostly a Steamism thanks to sales and humble bundles. If you go chievo snooping on consoles you'll typically see like a 95% on a game's first milestone, usually an hour or two. Then it tends to drop to like 80 for the next few hours chunk.

It usually craters after that, typically like a 50?

Who knows though, it's chievos.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire-pirat-auf-goetterjagd,3329390.html

Review from Gamestar (in german). Scored a 92 which is the same as the first game, rope kid must be pleased by the perfect balance.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Vargs posted:

There are mods to fix this, if it made you drop the game. Certainly made my playthrough a lot more enjoyable.

I'll go back to it at some point someday, once they've gone through all the patchign iterations etc.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire-pirat-auf-goetterjagd,3329390.html

Review from Gamestar (in german). Scored a 92 which is the same as the first game, rope kid must be pleased by the perfect balance.

- Kämpfe etwas gemächlich

:negative:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

For reference, 43% of people who own POE1 beat Act 1 (this is the highest percentage achievement), 10% actually beat the game. Only 5% beat WM1, and 3% beat WM2.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
dlc ydwin romance would be v. oldschool romance design since elves are so blasé blasé

monster baes are what appeal 2 the youth which is why Maia and tekeku are pushing the genre forwrd,

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014

rope kid posted:

- Kämpfe etwas gemächlich

:negative:

Maybe they were played PoTD and you said it needs tweaking.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

dlc ydwin romance would be v. oldschool romance design since elves are so blasé blasé

monster baes are what appeal 2 the youth which is why Maia and tekeku are pushing the genre forwrd,

Someone make the Monster Prom characters as portraits.

Don't even have the picture be in the woodcut/parchment style, just have the big portrait be the full body like:

and the small portrait be the little profile head like:

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

HamHawkes posted:

Maybe they were played PoTD and you said it needs tweaking.

They played on normal.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
So I'm looking at the wiki, trying to interpret weapon modals. This might be out of date or poorly transcribed, but this poo poo hurts my brain.

So Rushed Reload, the pistol modal, says, " -50% Reload Time with Pistol weapons, -15 Ranged Accuracy with Pistol weapons." with the descriptor "The character fires and reloads the pistol quickly, at the cost of accuracy." Okay, so -% Reload Time means less time; you reload faster. But the arquebus modal, Aimed Shot, says, "+20 Accuracy with Arquebus weapons, - 25% Action Speed with Arquebus weapons." and "The Arquebus wielder takes time to line up a well-aimed shot. These attack are far more Accurate." which means that -% Action Speed means MORE time spent doing a thing, if I'm reading this right. -% Reload Time = less time = good. -% Action Speed = more time = bad. Even though they are both minus signs. Neither are called out specifically as bonuses or penalties. Why is this done this way?

And why do wolves, known for cleverly attacking in groups, get Knock Down, but lions, known for being 500 lbs and jumping on their prey, get Sneak Attack?

AND WHY DOES ARMOR CLASS GET BETTER THE LOWER THE NUMBER? AAAAHHHHHH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoll
Nov 12, 2011
Dumb question about this gunslinger build:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjzD0NlZRCM

Would you need to manually switch between all four weapon sets after every fight and reload each gun?