Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

bitchymcjones posted:

I want an officer’s coat with the old timey sunglasses.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=glacier+glasses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
Wow, thanks. I could have never done that on my own. Just because I want them doesn’t mean I’m going to actually buy them.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Plus if you didn't know what they were called it might have taken forever to figure out the search terms.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

bitchymcjones posted:

Wow, thanks. I could have never done that on my own. Just because I want them doesn’t mean I’m going to actually buy them.

Don't be all bitchy, McJones. I actually looked into them for high elevation hiking in snow a few years back. Julbo makes reasonably priced ones.

You should buy them. Or alternately have a drink and relax. Sheesh.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
It was a let me google that for you, which I interpret as being an rear end in a top hat.

Edit: getting back on track, here’s a deviant art Tuunbaq and Hickey

Ugh. No.

bitchymcjones fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 6, 2018

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
it's not full-on sex, so I appreciate the unusual-for-DA restraint of it :cry:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bitchymcjones posted:

It was a let me google that for you, which I interpret as being an rear end in a top hat.

Ugh. No.

He was being an rear end in a top hat, especially with how you worded it which is to say an observation of cool Victorian explorer's fashion.

e: slash fic has gone too far because it doesnt even look like the Tuunbaq. He's just perving on a regular polar bear now

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 6, 2018

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

That one was there before the show. There’s a lot of interesting interpretations on there based on the book’s descriptions. I haven’t looked in a few weeks so it could be more deviant art like on there by now.

Ao3 now has fanfic from the show. I was surprised that the most popular pairing was Crozier/Fitzjames.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

bitchymcjones posted:

That one was there before the show. There’s a lot of interesting interpretations on there based on the book’s descriptions. I haven’t looked in a few weeks so it could be more deviant art like on there by now.

Ao3 now has fanfic from the show. I was surprised that the most popular pairing was Crozier/Fitzjames.

stiff upper lip attitudes go a long way with some people

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bitchymcjones posted:

Ugh. No.

I guess the show is so successful it now has its own slash fic.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Rum, sodomy and the slash

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

This is my favorite under the Tuunbaq tag.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

bitchymcjones posted:

This is my favorite under the Tuunbaq tag.

this would be a good ready player one leg

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Episode 10: Was there meant to be any significance behind the officer who had pierced his face with his chains or was it just simply to highlight how mad they had all gone? I know I'm probably overthinking it, but that scene really stuck out to me in the otherwise very depressing montage.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Octy posted:

Episode 10: Was there meant to be any significance behind the officer who had pierced his face with his chains or was it just simply to highlight how mad they had all gone? I know I'm probably overthinking it, but that scene really stuck out to me in the otherwise very depressing montage.

i think it's because they've all just gone deranged by being cold and lead-poisoned. from memory, though, it's based a bit in reality - the inuits that encountered the groups of dying british men said they found a corpse decorated as such.

i like the ambiguity a lot - it gives it more power than a deliberate set-up. just this shocking image that comes out of a place between "nowhere" and "insanity".

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm almost finished the book now, I'm at the part where Crozier arrives at the Terror Camp. I really like it, it's a nice Slow Horror. I've spoiled myself a bit clicking through this thread, but since the novels flashes forwards so much, it doesn't make it less enjoyable.

Was the carnival truly as elaborate as Crozier sees it, or was his perspective skewed by scurvy? Everything seems magically fantastic, and Simmons makes a point of reminding the reader that Crozier did not allow the crew any supplies, however they have roasted bear that tastes better than anything they've had in months, everyone is drinking in quantities that they don't have access to, and the multiple colored rooms seem beyond what I would have thought the arctic conditions would allow.

Then the next chapter Goodsir talks about how one of the first symptoms of scurvy is an overwhelming home-sickness that affects the mind.

I was waiting for more descriptions of a complete break down and loss of rationality, but I think Simmons was playing it subtle, such as describing the cook's (dressed as an Asian woman) bosom being in disarray compared to earlier in the evening.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

What Poe book did the guy get the carnivale idea from?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Hasselblad posted:

What Poe book did the guy get the carnivale idea from?

The Masque of the Red Death. It's 3 pages long.

I know this is probably :thejoke: but those are usually funny.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Uhhh, poo poo. Everybody's becoming more vulnerable with each other but that doesn't stop things from going to hell that much more. They are really building up Not!Hickey to be a Satanic archetype if there ever was one. Even on the rope, he was a lying piece of poo poo. And that lead poisoning on that one guy's arm was pretty nasty.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 8, 2018

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010
What were those bruises and lesions all over him? Is that what scurvy does to you? Lead poisoning from the cans?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

can we start just throwing awards at Tobias Menzies and Jared Harrid for their scene at the start of the episode alone?

"Are we brothers, Francis? I would like that very much." god drat

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

JustinMorgan posted:

What were those bruises and lesions all over him? Is that what scurvy does to you? Lead poisoning from the cans?

Yeah, scurvy will do that.
It causes your connective tissues to soften and disintegrate, which means you get exciting things like your teeth falling out, old scars reopening, and bruises showing up really easily.
The kids who crashed in that airplane in the Andes in the 70's all got scurvy and described their loose teeth as "wiggling around like broken old piano keys"

Here's an illustration from an 1840's Royal Navy ship's doctor.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

”Mr. Hickey would have lied to you and used you down to your last muscle” is a little on the nose.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

alf_pogs posted:

can we start just throwing awards at Tobias Menzies and Jared Harrid for their scene at the start of the episode alone?

"Are we brothers, Francis? I would like that very much." god drat

This was such a great scene, I have loved watching their relationship evolve...after they've both had such harsh words for each other and then gone through such hardships, it's cathartic to see them reconcile honestly with one another.

Really thought Hickey was going to get away with it, so I was shocked when we got to "Terror Camp clear!" and the gallows scene. Then I was shocked again when Tunbaaq came roaring out of Plot Left to decimate the crew again. I guess Tunbaaq is ironically against capital punishment?
:shrug:

This show has been so fantastic and they have done so much with so little, mostly down to the phenomenal casting and acting! I am really glad they went with a limited series because AMC would squeeze this like a python if it went a second season.

Also, :bandwagon: on the great intro. I love the design of the whole thing and the haunting music fits perfectly. Watching the ships get packed in and tilt as spears of ice erupt around them is a treat every week and reminds me of how great it was to see them put in details like leveling the tables with ropes in the first half of the show.
:swoon:

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Cokey Collins really cut it loose there towards the end of his life. Good for him!

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

So Tunbaaq was straight up eating that last guy's soul or something right before the episode ended, right

That's the only thing I can think of that the weird face distortion that was going on would represent

I just caught up with this thread and while really liking the show, I do agree with the general thread sentiment that the supernatural elements of it have been it's weakest part. Can Tunbaaq just magically heal crozier and Brutus using previously devoured souls so I can watch a series of them endlessly wandering around chatting in the frozen wastes, because I'd watch the hell out of that show

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Yeah, I recall some of the characters talking about it an episode or two later.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

This was such a great scene, I have loved watching their relationship evolve...after they've both had such harsh words for each other and then gone through such hardships, it's cathartic to see them reconcile honestly with one another.

Really thought Hickey was going to get away with it, so I was shocked when we got to "Terror Camp clear!" and the gallows scene. Then I was shocked again when Tunbaaq came roaring out of Plot Left to decimate the crew again. I guess Tunbaaq is ironically against capital punishment?
:shrug:

This show has been so fantastic and they have done so much with so little, mostly down to the phenomenal casting and acting! I am really glad they went with a limited series because AMC would squeeze this like a python if it went a second season.

Also, :bandwagon: on the great intro. I love the design of the whole thing and the haunting music fits perfectly. Watching the ships get packed in and tilt as spears of ice erupt around them is a treat every week and reminds me of how great it was to see them put in details like leveling the tables with ropes in the first half of the show.
:swoon:

What I do not get is if the creature is sentient and after those that harm the Eskimo, then wouldn't it have targeted Hickey with a vengeance?

One of the best episodes. Loved that the captains actually take everything with a grain of salt and question anything remotely implausible. Only downside is shades of TWD-like plot armor for Hickey.
Negan v2.0

Mr Blanky never ceases to disappoint. Find cover? gently caress that!
Loved that Tunbaaq showed him due respect and just ran past him during his romp.

Iodised QQ posted:

So Tunbaaq was straight up eating that last guy's soul or something right before the episode ended, right

That's the only thing I can think of that the weird face distortion that was going on would represent

I just caught up with this thread and while really liking the show, I do agree with the general thread sentiment that the supernatural elements of it have been it's weakest part. Can Tunbaaq just magically heal crozier and Brutus using previously devoured souls so I can watch a series of them endlessly wandering around chatting in the frozen wastes, because I'd watch the hell out of that show

I took it to be some kind of vampiric healing thing after being shot with a rocket.

I am falling way behind with the book. Need to catch up to see what is different. On a related note: Found that I swapped my Blizzaks off of my wrangler too early when I tried to traverse what I though was only a couple inches of remaining snow (shaded last a while) near one of the mountain passes I hoped to get through. I pulled a Sir John and full steamed ahead. Turned out it was a foot or more. I was out in flipflops shorts and tee digging a path through the snow for my tires so I could push it backward while my wife drove. I kept a stiff upper lip and was thankful the bears up there are not magic.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 8, 2018

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

The Chad Ice Master

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Iodised QQ posted:

my assumption during the first watch was that it visually represented the massive amounts of drugs he had taken finally wearing off, as he's being devoured. but it does seem like Sgt Tozer sees it happening as well.

back on the Fitzjames "I'm a fraud, Francis" scene. i quite like that the experiences of the men (and the show more explicitly) start to strip away what they think they are, versus who they actually are. Sir John's real feelings towards Francis, Francis' alcoholism, Fitzjames's vanity and self-doubt regarding his upbringing. these characters are contrasted in Hickey: everything we know about him is revealed to be a lie, right down to his name. we never learn anything real about who he really is.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Talk about chekhov's congreve! What were they even doing on the ship anyway, standard issue or Fitzjames' personal stash?

Also I just realized the Marine is brain dead due to having his soul munched on and not due having a cracked skull.
whynotboth.gif

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hasselblad posted:

Loved that Tunbaaq showed him due respect and just ran past him during his romp.

I'm almost done the book, but book Blanky was amazing as well. Before he died he mock/insulted Tunbaaq and threw his wood leg at him and faced his death like a man.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 11, 2018

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Octy posted:

In episode seven, Graham and Crozier are talking. Graham says, "If we make it out of this, the men deserve medals in gold." Crozier replies, "If we make it out of this, the men deserve every gold thing there is."

Graham really liked gold.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Professor Shark posted:

I'm almost done the book, but book Blanky was amazing as well. Before he died he mock/insulted Tunbaaq and threw his wood leg at him and faced his death like a man.

You do realize that some of us are neither done with the book nor the show, right?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

^^ Edited

I finished the book, why didn't Peglar get eaten? Also, is there some more to the mystery of who was piloting the ship when Crozier found it years later?

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 11, 2018

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Caufman posted:

In episode seven, Graham and Crozier are talking. Graham says, "If we make it out of this, the men deserve medals in gold." Crozier replies, "If we make it out of this, the men deserve every gold thing there is."

Graham really liked gold.

That’s James Little. Graham Gore dies in episode 2.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
You're right. I have whiteface blindness and whitename amnesia, and I'm not proud of that.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I have a hard time telling Little and Jopson apart

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I had a hard time telling most of the officers apart, especially once they all started cultivating grizzly beards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Just got caught up book wise with Irving. Even more heartbreaking in the book, having him getting so excited with the natives and knowing he is about to get shanked repeatedly by the sociopath.