Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Can someone recap what happens in WM2? I got to the fort and sort of lost interest.

great eyeless monsters are appearing and attacking people connected with the White Forge, you investigate and it turns out they're being sent by the goddess Ondra. She accidentally killed Abydon because he tried to stop her destroying Engwithan ruins to preserve the gods' secrets, and she built him a new body at the White Forge, and that's why in visions Abydon takes the form of a mechanical golem. She doesn't want people finding out what she's been up to so she sends the Eyeless to kill those who know of the White Forge, which at this point is... sort of everyone. You journey to the lair of the Eyeless to destroy them, but end up just pissing them off and having to engage them in a debate about the philosophical merits of preservation versus abandonment. They contain Abydon's memories of being the god of preservation, and you have three options. 1) let them return the memories, and he becomes the god of preservation once more; 2) stop them returning the memories, and Ondra becomes emboldened to erase even more traces of the past; 3) let them return the memories but in a balanced way, and everyone is happy

If you started the expansion but didn't finish it, you would get a special ending slide where you die. For the sequel, they are ignoring that

rope kid posted:

You can't manually alter the save. AFAIK, the two problems reported are that Vela doesn't appear if she was kept and that there is a mismatch between Edér's endgame states (mayor vs. Night Market).

I know the Vela issue has been fixed for our hotfix patch which will come ASAP (but not for launch today -- it still needs to be tested). The problem doesn't appear if you completed the quest that Vela is a part of. It appeared if you took the baby but didn't resolve the quest. I don't have confirmation on the Edér issue.

If you want to be safe, you can either use the state creator to make a new virtual save game (it takes about 15 minutes). Or wait until our hotfix patch. Sorry.

Ah, I did finish that quest, so I'm probably good to go. Idiots who don't bother completing quests btfo :smuggo:

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've got it, I've pre-loaded, it releases in 5 hours.... and I'm not gonna be able to play it for at least a couple of weeks :gonk:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I did it. With 7 hours to go before unlock I finally beat Pillars of Eternity (and the WM).
Now to retrofit my Paladin into a Paladin/Barbarian and...

Thread: Barbarian got a huge nerf.

Well poo poo, how am I going to be a corpse-eating kind wayfarer now? I mean sure I could just 'do it' but I got me one of them pragmatic streaks.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

rope kid posted:

You can't manually alter the save. AFAIK, the two problems reported are that Vela doesn't appear if she was kept and that there is a mismatch between Edér's endgame states (mayor vs. Night Market).

I know the Vela issue has been fixed for our hotfix patch which will come ASAP (but not for launch today -- it still needs to be tested). The problem doesn't appear if you completed the quest that Vela is a part of. It appeared if you took the baby but didn't resolve the quest. I don't have confirmation on the Edér issue.

If you want to be safe, you can either use the state creator to make a new virtual save game (it takes about 15 minutes). Or wait until our hotfix patch. Sorry.

Hmmm, that doesn't sound so bad then. I'm pretty sure I completed that quest, and I genuinely can't remember what ending Eder got so either one won't really affect my enjoyment or immersion too much.

E: Pity it only comes out at 7PM, I probably won't be able to finish character creation before it's time to sleep tonight.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

rope kid posted:

You can't manually alter the save.
About that. Can you edit some details from your PoE1 save, before you start the game? For example, I have a save with Aloth's grandmaster ending and play with that. And for a second playthrough I'd want to keep the rest of the import data from my PoE1 save, but only want to change Aloth's ending.

Or is the PoE1 savestate uneditable in any way? And for any customization you'll have to use the state creator?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah, this is exactly my problems with Pillars 1. I'm doing my best to power on through it regardless. It's very similar to why I didn't get far into Torment. But Tyranny and Divinity Original Sin 2, on the other hand, nailed gripping intros.

What was your beef with Torment? I'll grant that the intro dungeon wasn't hot, but it opens out into the Hive which is cool as heck, and you're always given a clear goal and motivation for The Nameless One. Except for when you get into the Lower Ward, but there's at least five separate plot hooks for you to stumble across telling you you wanna look for Ravel, which is a thing I wish more games would do.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Raygereio posted:

Or is the PoE1 savestate uneditable in any way? And for any customization you'll have to use the state creator?
This.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

ChrisBTY posted:

I did it. With 7 hours to go before unlock I finally beat Pillars of Eternity (and the WM).
Now to retrofit my Paladin into a Paladin/Barbarian and...

Thread: Barbarian got a huge nerf.

Well poo poo, how am I going to be a corpse-eating kind wayfarer now? I mean sure I could just 'do it' but I got me one of them pragmatic streaks.

Barbarian still gets a lot of really good stuff; carnage just isn’t broken the way it was before. Single class barbarians might be better than PoE barbarians ever were, depending on how blood thirst actually works out. It seems much harder to increase attack speed in this one, and barbarians look like they are really good at that.

However, pretty much everyone says that berserker is really good if you can deal with the confusion somehow, but mage slayer and corpse eater are really, really bad.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
What's a good multiclass for making a tanky fighter? Just Fighter/Paladin?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

Fighter/Rogue (particularly streetfighter kit) seems like a great fit for that.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Cynic Jester posted:

There are probably a ton of options. Fighter/Paladin looks like it would be pretty much unkillable and have excellent all around defenses, but fighter/rogue, fighter/wizard and fighter/priest of wael all have gigantic deflection buffs that should make themselves nearly impossible to hit.

Edit: I bet fighter/chanter could be tough as nails too, if properly built.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 8, 2018

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fighter Rogue probably doesn't have as many straight options, but what it does get is Riposte, so that you can go on the offensive by being unhittable. Plus all the standard Rogue DPS upgrades like Sneak Attack and various debuff attacks.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

GrandpaPants posted:

For me at least, the first game had a really slow, kinda uncompelling start to it, and Thaos was never actually a very compelling antagonist. Like the most interesting thing was the Engwithan machine that he started at the beginning of the game that disintegrated people, but you literally don't go back to that until like, mid-Act 2 when you find another one. Compare it to Irenicus in BG2 who starts the game kidnapping you, killing two of your old companions (Dynaheir and Khalid), and then kidnapping your friend/sister, who you now have to find and rescue, which is a simple enough drive to propel through the actual game.

Yeah, that classic drive to rescue your companions in bg2, right after you spend 20+ hours doing side quests because the game locks you out of athkathla for 30 hours once you start the crit path

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm thinking of what to do with my Barbarian and have a couple questions. First, Witch seems really cool but are any of the Cipher subclasses good with Barbarian? Anyone tried it in beta?

Second, I heard people talk up Berserker/Nalpazca but with the caveat of plenty drugs available in the beta. Has anyone watched the pre-release streams and know if there's a good amount of drugs around in the release as well? Or does it look like they'll need some decent rationing?

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Any time people complain about pillars by comparing it to poo poo baldurs gate or infinity engine games were even worse about I have to say I don't buy it

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What was your beef with Torment? I'll grant that the intro dungeon wasn't hot, but it opens out into the Hive which is cool as heck, and you're always given a clear goal and motivation for The Nameless One. Except for when you get into the Lower Ward, but there's at least five separate plot hooks for you to stumble across telling you you wanna look for Ravel, which is a thing I wish more games would do.

The CYOA into Intro Dungeon, really. I bounced right off it.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Fighter Rogue probably doesn't have as many straight options, but what it does get is Riposte, so that you can go on the offensive by being unhittable. Plus all the standard Rogue DPS upgrades like Sneak Attack and various debuff attacks.

People on the official forums comment that riposte reverted to its release state from PoE 1, meaning it only works on 20% of misses, meaning even if you can get gigantic deflection, it will still go off quite rarely. Disappointing, since I want to build characters around riposte.

Apparently, you can manage to get the monk’s Blade Turning ability to be up permanently, though, which is riposte on steroids in that it makes you automatically avoid and counter all melee attacks for its duration.

Sometimes I think the designers of this game just do not love rogues.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Even after the intro to planescape I got really bummed out by the promise of the setting contrasting with the fact that you just run through a fantasy city and demon world and some other generic environments for most of the game.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Your Parents posted:

Any time people complain about pillars by comparing it to poo poo baldurs gate or infinity engine games were even worse about I have to say I don't buy it

That guy was talking about a narrative hook though, and you brought up sidequests.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

People on the official forums comment that riposte reverted to its release state from PoE 1, meaning it only works on 20% of misses, meaning even if you can get gigantic deflection, it will still go off quite rarely. Disappointing, since I want to build characters around riposte.

:argh:

Is there even any point to making Eder a fighter rogue then? Just straight up fighter might be better.

Though I keep forgetting mods are a thing, so all this stuff should be fairly easy to fix. :D

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 8, 2018

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

MMF Freeway posted:

That guy was talking about a narrative hook though, and you brought up sidequests.

Yes, the initial narrative hook seems better in pillars to me. You are investigating a mystery and it makes sense to take side quests since anything could open up a lead to thaos. In baldurs gate 2 the game suggests you do one thing very strongly and is then designed for you to ignore that hook for 20 hours while you do unrelated poo poo or your characters will not be strong enough to find imoen.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Maybe if you had to raise 50k gold instead of 15.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
edit

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

The CYOA into Intro Dungeon, really. I bounced right off it.

Oh you meant the bad Torment.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
Do multiple armor buffs from different sources stack? For example, would the Goldpact Paladin armor buff stack with Spirit Shield? I'm guessing no?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Heithinn Grasida posted:

However, pretty much everyone says that berserker is really good if you can deal with the confusion somehow, but mage slayer and corpse eater are really, really bad.

From trying corpse-eater, there are a few problems. One, all your abilities cost more. This means, for example, if you have five rage you can only use frenzy twice or barbarian blow and frenzy once each before you are tapped. Then you need to find a viable target to eat. You'll get a heal from it too but that mostly only recovers the damage you took while eating during a fight or disengaging to eat. This then restore enough rage to use one ability, basically. And you can only do it twice per fight and not every fight is going to have enough viable targets for it. So you go from being able to just focus on the fight and frenzy up to five times or frenzy once and barblow twice to being able to frenzy two to five times or barblow one to three times if you use your eating ability twice successfully. Its just kind of a huge headache for not much return.

The way the ability is written kind of makes it sound like it should restore a multiclass barbarian's other resources as well, which would actually make it a great spell caster support option if it did, but it does not.

The costs of mage slayer seems way too harsh. No potions or scrolls and halved effect durations both good and bad with only a 5% passive spell resist and disrupt chance just seems like too much. Maybe with the right multi class combo it could work, but it would be best with something that can handle being up close and dual wield very quickly. Monk?

But generally the devs have been committed to improving the game after launch so all that might change.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Your Parents posted:

Yes, the initial narrative hook seems better in pillars to me. You are investigating a mystery and it makes sense to take side quests since anything could open up a lead to thaos. In baldurs gate 2 the game suggests you do one thing very strongly and is then designed for you to ignore that hook for 20 hours while you do unrelated poo poo or your characters will not be strong enough to find imoen.

Luckily, enough people complained that they didn't know the stakes of the entire story right from the beginning of Pillars 1 that Pillars 2 opens with no less than two summaries of the first game, and multiple NPCs telling you what happened at the start of the this one, in addition to showing what happened on screen

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

In the new Guidebook theres a legendary figure originally from the Dyrwood which is a sentient ooze who has now grown to gigantic size. Its got a ship wrapped around it and it swims around eating sea monsters. Wanna meet that ooze.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Sometimes I think the designers of this game just do not love rogues.

I saw someone try the rogue/paladin multi class that ropekid tweeted about playing and it did something like 500 damage in one attack against a boss type monster in the beta. It was sick.

edit: Okay, it was 261, but still just a gross amount of damage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDRo4ggH8rA&t=153s

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 8, 2018

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
The real pull of a Fighter/Rogue tank to me right now isn't Riposte but Persistent Distraction.
Also versatility. In the beta, dedicated tanks were very powerful in a lot of fights but also useless in a couple others.

Cynic Jester posted:

Fighter/Paladin and Fighter/Wizard are both good tanks in my experience. I wouldn't take a subclass for the Wizard if you go with that; there isn't one that gives you all the self-buffs you want.

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm thinking of what to do with my Barbarian and have a couple questions. First, Witch seems really cool but are any of the Cipher subclasses good with Barbarian? Anyone tried it in beta?
One of the earlier characters I tried was a Corpse-Eater/Soul Blade. It worked pretty well despite the Corpse-Eater's issues.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

rope kid posted:

I won't have too much time to play until Friday anyway so I might just go through character creation and whatever the intro segment is for now and restart after the fix as long as i don't get too hooked.

e: And keep going through character creation a few more times.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 8, 2018

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Pwnstar posted:

In the new Guidebook theres a legendary figure originally from the Dyrwood which is a sentient ooze who has now grown to gigantic size. Its got a ship wrapped around it and it swims around eating sea monsters. Wanna meet that ooze.

Ok this sounds freakin awesome

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
So I decided to play pillars 1 after people yelled at me for skipping it. Its a bit dry but I'm still enjoying it. Can I ignore rebuilding the stronghold?

My battles consist of unloading a storm of arrows and bullets while eder battles through multiple concussions and broken bones solo tanking. Is this the proper way? Can anyone else tank? I just got the wolf lady as my 6th party member.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Avalerion posted:

:argh:

Is there even any point to making Eder a fighter rogue then? Just straight up fighter might be better.

Though I keep forgetting mods are a thing, so all this stuff should be fairly easy to fix. :D

Rogue brings a lot to the table other than riposte! Fighter/rogue should still be really good.

I imagine riposte, if you can make it work well, would be better on something like a caster multiclass that makes itself untouchable with deflection then casts in the middle of a big group while passively dealing damage with riposte. Or a trickster skald with rapier and dagger that uses riposte full attacks to build phrases quickly.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Rogues are all about the DoTs these days. The new Deep Wounds is pretty great.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

So the backer wallpapers had that sweet art of Eothas that was on the cover of PCgamer. Is there anyone that could edit out the Deadfire logo so it's just the art?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I imagine riposte, if you can make it work well, would be better on something like a caster multiclass that makes itself untouchable with deflection then casts in the middle of a big group while passively dealing damage with riposte. Or a trickster skald with rapier and dagger that uses riposte full attacks to build phrases quickly.
Tricksters didn't do well as tanks in the beta, not even as temporary tanks. Mirrored Image works well for the usual Rogue playstyle and is pretty competitively priced at 1 Guile but it's not a good spell for tanks. At least that's my experience playing on PotD; Mirrored Image may work a lot better at lower difficulties.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

So the backer wallpapers had that sweet art of Eothas that was on the cover of PCgamer. Is there anyone that could edit out the Deadfire logo so it's just the art?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

Quick and dirty, but how is this?

Edit: Beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Wizard Styles posted:

Tricksters didn't do well as tanks in the beta, not even as temporary tanks. Mirrored Image works well for the usual Rogue playstyle and is pretty competitively priced at 1 Guile but it's not a good spell for tanks. At least that's my experience playing on PotD; Mirrored Image may work a lot better at lower difficulties.

That's a shame. I was thinking of relying on shadowing beyond, but 3 guile for a 10 second buff is a pretty steep price, so it seems unsustainable.