Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sup, MSU buddy.

I'll add you guys in a bit after I'm done with dinner. If you beat me to it GT is Nihils Maw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultraviper
Jul 26, 2007

I won the 100th Concurrent WOL Jabber Award and All I Got Was This Lousy Title!
Here's some useful controls I've found out recently that made me feel like an idiot for not knowing already, since I've been playing since the game came out for xbox:

autorun: double click left stick
cook grenade: left bumper while aiming the grenade
move camera without moving your character: hold right bumper
use boost while driving: left bumper
change zoom level on 8x and bigger scopes: while zoomed, hold right bumper and move left stick up/down (this also changes brightness on holo/red dot sights). I was telling my friends for months that I wished there was a way to zoom out 8x to make it more practical, turns out it was actually in the game the whole time :doh:

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
All of those controls are necessary to get better at pubg on xbox. Do y'all use control type a or b? Type b seemed like it would be perfect but in practice I was playing worse when I used it. ADSing in close range combat isn't ideal so I'd rather have holding LT be soft zoom.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ultraviper posted:

move camera without moving your character: hold right bumper

change zoom level on 8x and bigger scopes: while zoomed, hold right bumper and move left stick up/down (this also changes brightness on holo/red dot sights).:

:aaa:

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

Wtf you can change brightness???

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Played some Miramar on my friends xbox one x, visually so much better than Erangel and more importantly runs so much better than it too. My first kill was a headshot with the Winchester which is a really bad but really fun gun. I'm honestly impressed with the performance though, it's almost good enough to quality as a normal game. Which is sadly a huge improvement.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
This thread is dead but I dont care. I just got an xbox one x and holy poo poo the difference is stark. Not having to wait for playdoh buildings to load in after landing is such a huge difference. The game almost looks like a modern game instead of a 360 game.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I installed it on an SSD on an OG bone and that eliminated the soupy mess too.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I gotta look up how to do that, must be night and day.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
It truly is a huge difference. I always avoided dropping into places like Pochinki or School because I'd have to wait 30+ seconds for building to load in. Now I can drop wherever I want. I'm sure installing it on a SSD helps on an OG Xbone but that doesnt help the game look like horrible blurry garbage. But $500 is a steep price to pay to make a game look better, especially if you dont have a 4k tv. My launch day xbone just happened to be dying so I took the plunge on the xbone x.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It's too bad you can't play any other games on the Bone because of your ego though, amirite?

;)

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.
Been playing the test server this weekend... Desert map is so sparse with everything. Kinda sucks. I want that war mode poo poo.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Drav posted:

Been playing the test server this weekend... Desert map is so sparse with everything. Kinda sucks. I want that war mode poo poo.

I've been having a blast dropping in Pecado and Hacienda. If the plane flys over one of those two places it's basically war mode.

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

Live At Five! posted:

This thread is dead but I dont care. I just got an xbox one x and holy poo poo the difference is stark. Not having to wait for playdoh buildings to load in after landing is such a huge difference. The game almost looks like a modern game instead of a 360 game.

I just got an X as well and totally agree. It's so nice landing and having buildings and not blobs of arse. Also guns and armor load faster. It's pretty close to being unfair to people that don't have The Fastest Console. Looking forward to playing Miramar.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I kind of can't believe they haven't made the controls passable yet. Coming from any other game back to pubg just feels insane with just how bad they are. When I was playing a lot I sort of brute forced my way into being able to use them, but after playing other games I just come back and it's like, wow this game straight up has the most unnatural, terrible feeling controls of any console game.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Looting a house is half looting half running into furniture.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
I haven't played in a month or two, is everything much more scarce? I can hit three houses and not find one gun. When I find a gun, it only has one box of ammo next to it when it used to spawn with two.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
It kinda feels like it is yeah, and hardly any clothes drops anymore.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I haven’t played in a month and loot is more scarce.

The first game I played I got 8 kills and placed #3.

Felt really good but drat that was a fluke.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Beastie posted:

I haven’t played in a month and loot is more scarce.

The first game I played I got 8 kills and placed #3.

Felt really good but drat that was a fluke.

That's how I felt the first time I played the new map. Dropped in, found an m16 and an 8x immediately and killed 9 people. Pretty sure I wasted all my luck on that game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah every time they patch it loot seems more scarce. I looted 12 houses before finding a gun the last time I played. Also it seems to be about 90% shotguns and pistols. They also nerfed the double barrel into a one shot clip so it sucks now too. It's like they are aggressively trying to make it less fun.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

swordfish duelist posted:

That's how I felt the first time I played the new map. Dropped in, found an m16 and an 8x immediately and killed 9 people. Pretty sure I wasted all my luck on that game.

joke's on you, the M16 doesn't take an 8x

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I forgot a 4 okay? :(

The round after that I blasted a guy point blank with the sawn off and I swear he laughed at me before killing me with a 9mm

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Woah they really cleaned the controls up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So I played a bit of H1Z1 on PS4. Nearly the same game, 60FPS, hi rez textures...but my god it sucks.The controls are somehow worse than PUBG and the shooting is trash. I'd play PUBG on original Xbone any day with it's blob buildings and 10fps.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
It actually runs decently on the og bone with an SSD

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Well I just got my first chicken dinner on Miramar and it was very odd. Final circle ended up being on top of a huge mesa that I was trying to find a way on top of because there was no way to get in the circle on the ground. There were two other people alive (duo match and my teammate died 2 minutes in) when I suddenly saw winner winner chicken dinner. Turns out they fell to their death. I have no idea how or why.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Ok now I've played 3 matches on Miramar and have 3 chicken dinners, all in a row. Miramar owns.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's a much better map than the original from what I have played.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
I am three times better on the new map for some reason. I got my first chicken dinner(loving finally) and finish top ten most of the time. Guns are plentiful and I never seem to have to race the blue wall.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Yeah I much prefer Miramar at this point. Jumping Pecado with a ton of other people is way more fun than any hot drop on Erangal. Also getting 3 chicken dinners in a row on it certainly made me like the map even more. The PUBG trailer during E3 mentioned the smaller jungle map will be released on xbox in late summer. The map seems really cool from what I've seen on PC, hopefully it holds up on xbone. Also hyped for snow map. Snow maps are always the best.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Everything about Miramar is designed better

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I really cant wait for a map select feature because I won't queue for Erangal again. I dont have nearly as much fun as I do on Miramar. Jumping Pecado is a blast and the increased number of buildings in cities makes urban warfare way more enjoyable.

I'm curious to see how the new smaller map runs on xbox. I should run better just due to the fact it's way smaller but it probably wont because of how close everyone will be together at the start of the game.

Ultraviper
Jul 26, 2007

I won the 100th Concurrent WOL Jabber Award and All I Got Was This Lousy Title!
Map selection is going away on the PC version, it might not even make it to xbox.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone else feel like downed enemies have wayyyy to much health?

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Yeah for sure. I understand the reason for it but it is a bit frustrating to down someone in 3 to 4 hits and then hit them 3 or 4 more times and they still don't die. I know the amount of health they have decreases the more times they've been knocked but I'd prefer they decrease the initial amount and make them bleed out slower each subsequent knock.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I think it would be better halved.

I really wish I could put my finger on why I do so much better on Mirimar than the first map. I get like 4-7 kills on it usually and generally make the top ten. On the original map I'm just doing terrible which is weird because I know it way better. But I usually get 0-2 kills and get murked from nowhere. Played for a few hours tonight and it was just night and day depending on what map it was.

Plus it's flat out so much more enjoyable. It feels like it was actually designed to have a shooter played in it. It's not super awkward to shoot from point a to b because of badly placed windows or whatever. Plus the current state of loot on the OG map is just horrid right now. Feels like I can actually find stuff that is useful in Mirimar, while I'm running around with a pistol or shotgun and lvl 1 armor for half of the game or more on the old map.

Count me in on the people who just never want to play that map again.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sorry for all the :words: but here is my main theory on Miramar and why it's so much better feeling to play.

So on the original map, everything is closed off. Tactics that can be used feel super limited because every urban scenario boils down to someone hiding in a house and someone else trying to get in. Not only does that suck to begin with, but its compounded by the sort of crappy mechanics and windows that are too small and high up to be remotely comfortable to shoot from, and limited entry points. Then the outdoors have a frustrating lack of cover making you feel like a sitting duck as you go from one place to the other. Everything about it is designed to facilitate cheap deaths and camping. poo poo even camping sucks because any safe place has horrible visibility.

By comparison, Miramar has much more open buildings. Not only are they much more easy to shoot out of, but much easier to shoot into and are actually built with some flanking options in mind. All in all it feels a lot more tactical and rewarding than the game of chicken the old maps offer. The outdoors also have much better options for cover so it feels a lot better just getting around. I feel way less like I've instantly lost of someone spots me.

I'm not really the best shot in this game, but I do have a decent tactical shooter skills and the new map just makes me feel like I can actually put them to use, because I'm not constantly fighting against the mechanics and map design, leading to me actually being able to play how I want.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Sorry for all the :words: but here is my main theory on Miramar and why it's so much better feeling to play.

So on the original map, everything is closed off. Tactics that can be used feel super limited because every urban scenario boils down to someone hiding in a house and someone else trying to get in. Not only does that suck to begin with, but its compounded by the sort of crappy mechanics and windows that are too small and high up to be remotely comfortable to shoot from, and limited entry points. Then the outdoors have a frustrating lack of cover making you feel like a sitting duck as you go from one place to the other. Everything about it is designed to facilitate cheap deaths and camping. poo poo even camping sucks because any safe place has horrible visibility.

By comparison, Miramar has much more open buildings. Not only are they much more easy to shoot out of, but much easier to shoot into and are actually built with some flanking options in mind. All in all it feels a lot more tactical and rewarding than the game of chicken the old maps offer. The outdoors also have much better options for cover so it feels a lot better just getting around. I feel way less like I've instantly lost of someone spots me.

I'm not really the best shot in this game, but I do have a decent tactical shooter skills and the new map just makes me feel like I can actually put them to use, because I'm not constantly fighting against the mechanics and map design, leading to me actually being able to play how I want.

I totally agree with you regarding Miramar. It definitely rewards tactical thinking more than Erangal does. The terrain of Miramar allows for far more manuevering than Erangal does. I will say that Miramar is awful if you dont manage to grab at least a 4x scope. The lack of trees makes small circles tough but I still prefer that over lovely field circles on Erangal. One thing I've found odd is how much people hate Miramar on PC. I wonder if something about the map works better with a controller vs keyboard and mouse. Then again if you read the xbox pubg reddit Miramar is the devil and should be removed from the game, even though I've found that it runs better and plays better than Erangal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's shocking to me that people prefer Erangal. Everything about it feels like it was slapped together with little thought into how it actually played while Miramar feels like it actually had some effort put into it. It's also more interesting to look at and doesn't feel like a copy paste job like the former. Feels much more like a real place.

Edit: another thing is that it feels paced much more in line with what I want from this game. I feel like I consistently run into people every 5-10 minutes while on erangel I might go most of the round without seeing a soul, unless I intentionally drop into a poo poo show that I’ll likely die in within minutes.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 18, 2018