Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I want to see the 360 noscope railgun shots from book whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phi230 posted:

And a main character we haven't met yet in the show rides Millercrab into battle fighting other giant insectoid robots

kinda wish that was bobbie but i already know she eventually goes home for some much needed PTSD recovery

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

zeal posted:

kinda wish that was bobbie but i already know she eventually goes home for some much needed PTSD recovery

It probably will be Bobbie on the show because why dump one of the most popular characters for half a season or more?

Assuming it gets renewed... :sweatdrop:

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It probably will be Bobbie on the show because why dump one of the most popular characters for half a season or more?

A great question to ask a detective.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Assuming it gets renewed... :sweatdrop:

I'm guessing that they use Bobbie to tell a Mars story during that story arc, setting up the political intrigue and having her investigate the MCRN for Avasaralla.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm guessing that they use Bobbie to tell a Mars story during that story arc, setting up the political intrigue and having her investigate the MCRN for Avasaralla.

It'll probably be her instead of Alex tripping over the MCRN mutiny.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Planet Death Slug is complete bullshit.

I’d like to see the television adaptation replace the fourth book with a fresh plot. Barring that, skip it.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I wonder who they'll cast as immortal space hitler if the show gets that far.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

bloom posted:

I wonder who they'll cast as immortal space hitler if the show gets that far.

it won't

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I've been making GBS threads on this show since half way through the first season, but I have to admit that this season looks gorgeous.

Plot and writing are still essentially the same.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I'm a good boy but I kinda want to post a botched spoiler about Immortal Space Hitler in the other thread just to see the reaction.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Professor Shark posted:

I've been making GBS threads on this show since half way through the first season, but I have to admit that this season looks gorgeous.

Plot and writing are still essentially the same.

Yeah it's pretty great

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

uber_stoat posted:

I'm a good boy but I kinda want to post a botched spoiler about Immortal Space Hitler in the other thread just to see the reaction.

don't worry, in like 2-3 weeks we are probably gonna get a huge bit of drama where people freak the gently caress out that the show is going more fantastical. The thread will somehow get worse

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Phi230 posted:

don't worry, in like 2-3 weeks we are probably gonna get a huge bit of drama where people freak the gently caress out that the show is going more fantastical. The thread will somehow get worse
Honestly, it's a pretty fair thing to freak out about. I know I was less that pleased when random alien poo poo became central to the world of the Expanse in the books as opposed to just one element of it. Before there was some alien poo poo adding pressure and tension to an essentially human landscape, but soon the story's going to be about humans reacting to an alien landscape.

As it turns out things remained awesome and the stories kept a good focus on human societies and conflicts, but I'm going to be totally sympathetic to people who end up concerned that won't be the case.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Marco is the worst character ever created

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
He is an unbelievable character sure, but there are plenty of real people just like him. Che was probably a template.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Eiba posted:

Honestly, it's a pretty fair thing to freak out about. I know I was less that pleased when random alien poo poo became central to the world of the Expanse in the books as opposed to just one element of it. Before there was some alien poo poo adding pressure and tension to an essentially human landscape, but soon the story's going to be about humans reacting to an alien landscape.

As it turns out things remained awesome and the stories kept a good focus on human societies and conflicts, but I'm going to be totally sympathetic to people who end up concerned that won't be the case.

I like the increasing sci-fi weirdness. It's like Game of Thrones. First they ground you in reality to establish the characters, and then they bring in the crazy magic stuff once the stage is set with believable people to tackle the changing landscape.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Eiba posted:

This is why Abaddon's Gate went from my least favorite of the series to a much higher position upon rereading. I wouldn't have wanted it to be the new norm, but as a one-off it's a fun old school sci-fi break from the usual system-spanning political drama. (This is also why I have a soft spot for Cibola Burn despite its issues.)

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Professor Shark posted:

Marco is the worst character ever created

I found Murtry to be more frustrating. They both have the crazy, but at least Marco has this [misguided] vision/goal for Belters. He just doesn't have the management and leadership skills much less the intelligence to pull it off.
Murtry end game is what? Lets all sit here and die so our corporate overlords can make a buck? Riiiight...

drewhead fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 8, 2018

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

It's easy to forget that Marco couldn't have done any of the things that gave him the legitimacy for his rebellion without Duerte, and after the rocks fall, he's basically loving up constantly except when the actually competent people below him are running things. At the end of the day he's just a big distraction for Duerte's master plan. That distraction just happens to be the biggest tragedy in human history.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Collateral posted:

He is an unbelievable character sure, but there are plenty of real people just like him. Che was probably a template.

Che was extremely good and never sold out

Like a film negative of Marco, an extremely bad sellout

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
In terms of actual writing quality Murtry seemed like he was written as the self insert for an edgy 14 year old

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Who the hell is Murtry? I know I've read all the books but for some reason remember like nothing from the more recent ones.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Crazycryodude posted:

Who the hell is Murtry? I know I've read all the books but for some reason remember like nothing from the more recent ones.

Corporate Nazi from SlugWorld who was Miller's Partner's Boss.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh, that guy, thanks for the reminder.

And yeah his endgame WAS pretty much "sit here and die so the bosses can make their money." He wasn't just a cop, he was a corporate cop. Of course he's a loving idiot bootlicker who only cares about making sure The Company gets its lithium or whatever they were there for.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Murtry was a spaceman version of those doomsday preppers who blatantly fantasize about any scenario where they're "allowed" to shoot people. Making sure the company made a buck was pretext, not motivation.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

drewhead posted:

He just doesn't have the management and leadership skills much less the intelligence to pull it off.

This was my main problem with Marco. He just comes across as incompetent and I never could buy that anyone would follow him as long as they did.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I like the increasing sci-fi weirdness. It's like Game of Thrones. First they ground you in reality to establish the characters, and then they bring in the crazy magic stuff once the stage is set with believable people to tackle the changing landscape.
Totally agree with this in the end. At the time I wasn't so confident.

bloom posted:

This was my main problem with Marco. He just comes across as incompetent and I never could buy that anyone would follow him as long as they did.
I mean, he literally destroyed the Earth. People with a certain political view are going to read competence into that incredible feat until it's completely undeniable that he's actually a huge fuckup.

Marco was incredibly frustrating, but I bought him as an incredibly pathetic, loathsome villain. I was reading with an incredibly raised eyebrow when he was presented as even vaguely cool/competent because he obviously wasn't, but by the end he was proven to be exactly the fuckup he obviously was to everyone involved. Even his son figured him out eventually.

Same with Murtry. He was extremely unpleasant to read about, but in the end... I could believe people as lovely as him would hold positions of power in that kind of context.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 8, 2018

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Eiba posted:

Same with Murtry. He was extremely unpleasant to read about, but in the end... I could believe people as lovely as him would hold positions of power in that kind of context.

I guess I expect the instinct of survival to be more apparent in a human being. Marcos was snuffed out [supposedly] by PM magic he didn't know of or see coming. Murtry has multiple opportunities to turn away from what seems to be certain death and chooses not to. Then is saved by PM magic that he doesn't know of or see coming.

I get that at a certain point Murtry has to know that his actions will have consequences. I think he clearly understand that when he tells Holden that maybe in three years or whatever when someone actually gets here and then takes him back, but for now I'm God [paraphrasing]. But his actions seem devoid of any desire of self preservation. What's his best case scenario if they survive? Jail? If he wanted to die for some reason, or if the company was going to take care of his family, or he was terminally ill, etc it would be more believable. I'm just not buying the I love my company so much I'm willing to die for them motivation. His power trip? Yes. His end game? No! It's nationalism at a corporate level and I can't wrap my head around that.

drewhead fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 8, 2018

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

post != edit

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Murty wasn't Miller's deputy, that Havelock. He forms a mutiny against Murty.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Collateral posted:

Murty wasn't Miller's deputy, that Havelock. He forms a mutiny against Murty.

I hated Havelock so much in that book. All the loving wheel spinning until he's inevitable turn.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

bloom posted:

I mean, have you seen who's currently President of the United States? :v:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

drewhead posted:

I guess I expect the instinct of survival to be more apparent in a human being. Marcos was snuffed out [supposedly] by PM magic he didn't know of or see coming. Murtry has multiple opportunities to turn away from what seems to be certain death and chooses not to. Then is saved by PM magic that he doesn't know of or see coming.

I get that at a certain point Murtry has to know that his actions will have consequences. I think he clearly understand that when he tells Holden that maybe in three years or whatever when someone actually gets here and then takes him back, but for now I'm God [paraphrasing]. But his actions seem devoid of any desire of self preservation. What's his best case scenario if they survive? Jail? If he wanted to die for some reason, or if the company was going to take care of his family, or he was terminally ill, etc it would be more believable. I'm just not buying the I love my company so much I'm willing to die for them motivation. His power trip? Yes. His end game? No! It's nationalism at a corporate level and I can't wrap my head around that.

Buddy there are people right this very second getting permanent tattoos of their company logo for a quick raise, I don't even want to think about what great new heights of bootlicking we're gonna reach 200 years in the future. Capitalism makes people stupid, hell slavish dedication to a corporation is more believable in a lot of ways than slavish dedication to a nation.

And beyond that, like Toast Museum pointed out, he probably doesn't really give a poo poo about ANY justification beyond a smokescreen to make others go along with him. Dude's a sociopath who finally has an excuse to power trip and shoot people like he's always dreamed about.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I agree w everything you said except one big point of contention that I cannot abide

The Expanse takes place at least 300 years in the future, possibly longer.

When the crew toasts to Miller, Holden holds a bottle of gin that says "since 2307"

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Crazycryodude posted:

Buddy there are people right this very second getting permanent tattoos of their company logo for a quick raise, I don't even want to think about what great new heights of bootlicking we're gonna reach 200 years in the future. Capitalism makes people stupid, hell slavish dedication to a corporation is more believable in a lot of ways than slavish dedication to a nation.

Getting a Tattoo is a bit different than death. Self preservation is innate. "We'll give you a big raise posthumously"?
I'm down with the power trip, just not with the death wish. There are understandable reasons for that, but the books just didn't bother to fill out those motivations. That made the character unbelievable and frustrating, at least for me.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Nationalism is inherently irrational, too. "Go die in the Somme, you'll die an agonizing death choking on your own blistered lungs but you'll make [France/Britain/Germany] very proud and we'll give you a medal posthumously" was justification enough for literal millions of people to ignore their self-preservation. Why is it so hard to imagine that in the future people could develop similar attachment to a corporation, particularly when it doesn't even seem that far off today much less 300+ years down the line.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Also it's been a while since I read CB, but I thought it wasn't so much a death wish as "I'd rather die than lose face". Murtry is all about holding onto whatever bit of power he has, at any cost to himself or others.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Crazycryodude posted:

Nationalism is inherently irrational, too. "Go die in the Somme, you'll die an agonizing death choking on your own blistered lungs but you'll make [France/Britain/Germany] very proud and we'll give you a medal posthumously" was justification enough for literal millions of people to ignore their self-preservation. Why is it so hard to imagine that in the future people could develop similar attachment to a corporation, particularly when it doesn't even seem that far off today much less 300+ years down the line.

Feels like a stretch to me. I could buy that, but the book fell flat on developing that aspect. We don't really know what Murtry's true motivation to sacrifice himself was. And absent of that it seems more reasonable that innate human responses are more understandable.

Hey, maybe this is just me. Nationalism is about identity, and I have a hard time with identifying with corporations for some cog in the wheel security goon. Some CEO who wants their legacy to live for 100s of years? Sure. No one outside Illus is remembering Murtry for anything live or die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
People have killed for corporations in the past, even today, why don't you think somebody would die for one

• Locked thread