Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
We run HPDE events at a local kart track during the summer at night, lap times are about a minute for a good driver and we do 20, 30, or open sessions for 4hr. Kinda sits in between and is a ton of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Any of you writing off your expenses as advertising for a business?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

Any of you writing off your expenses as advertising for a business?

No, I don't enjoy being sodomized by the IRS.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Anyone going to Hyperfest this year? Other than me, I mean.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The Prong Song posted:

Anyone going to Hyperfest this year? Other than me, I mean.

Not me. But when I see your username, I think which prong song? "Who's fist is this anyway"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLya_k_lQL0

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

First autox of the season yesterday, was lots of fun. Only 1 clean run, but 3rd overall on street tires, 7th overall on raw time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NexfIa_fgs

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm taking my RS to the Toronto Motorsports Park this Saturday for open car lapping. I've never been on a track before. Any advice?

https://torontomotorsportspark.com/open-car-lapping/

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

KillHour posted:

I'm taking my RS to the Toronto Motorsports Park this Saturday for open car lapping. I've never been on a track before. Any advice?

Get an instructor, make sure you have good brake fluid and pads on the car. Be humble, let people pass.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Are the OEM pads and fluid good enough to just go out and do a couple learner laps? I'm not trying to push it and the laps aren't timed, I just want to get a feel for what it's like to be out on a track. I definitely plan on getting an instructor and taking it easy.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Put almost 40 Waterford Hills laps on my FiST yesterday. I am real slow, but the car held up well and the new tires (hankook R-S4) and suspension stuff (koni yellows with swift springs) were fantastic. If anything, I might adjust the rears to be a hair stiffer, the car was understeering a bit and not quite as easy to rotate as stock. Had a blast, started the day running 1:28s and ended in the 1:25s, per the cheap version of Harrys app. I just turned it on and tossed it in my center console, wasn't chasing laptimes but mostly working on a few areas of the track that I find difficult, like the weird double-apex known as "The Swamp". For reference, my buddy with a lightly tuned Focus RS on 255 R-S4s ran a 1.20.6, other dude with a 2015 WRX on RE71 set a 1:21.5.

I have a long way to go, but I am pretty confident I have tons of time I am leaving out there. If you ever get a chance to rent out a track for a day with a group of your friends, it is literally the best thing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KillHour posted:

Are the OEM pads and fluid good enough to just go out and do a couple learner laps? I'm not trying to push it and the laps aren't timed, I just want to get a feel for what it's like to be out on a track. I definitely plan on getting an instructor and taking it easy.

In a RS? Yes

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

In a RS? Yes

Yup. The RS is pretty drat good right out of the box. Do you have the 2018 model with the LSD?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

In a RS? Yes

I figured. That would be an odd thing for Ford to cheap out on. I'm actually a little worried that the car can write checks my inexperienced rear end can't cash. I've definitely never been anywhere near its limits on the road, and not for a lack of trying.

PaintVagrant posted:

Yup. The RS is pretty drat good right out of the box. Do you have the 2018 model with the LSD?

No :sigh:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

KillHour posted:

I figured. That would be an odd thing for Ford to cheap out on. I'm actually a little worried that the car can write checks my inexperienced rear end can't cash. I've definitely never been anywhere near its limits on the road, and not for a lack of trying.

No :sigh:

The non-LSD version will heat brakes up a bit quicker, because of the TVC system. However, if youre new and just feeling out the limits, you very likely will not get them to fade in a 15-20 minute session.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

The non-LSD version will heat brakes up a bit quicker, because of the TVC system. However, if youre new and just feeling out the limits, you very likely will not get them to fade in a 15-20 minute session.

Thanks. The website says helmets are optional. Do I need to go out and get one? Do I run with windows up or down?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

KillHour posted:

Thanks. The website says helmets are optional. Do I need to go out and get one? Do I run with windows up or down?

I recommend a helmet if you're in any way big enough to tap your head on anything in the car. The point about having the windows down is being able to indicate to other drivers to pass you if you're holding them up and the group rules require point bys. As a beginner (or experienced driver really) you'll want to do this.

I recommend both for safety really. Imo a helmet shouldn't be optional.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

I recommend a helmet if you're in any way big enough to tap your head on anything in the car. The point about having the windows down is being able to indicate to other drivers to pass you if you're holding them up and the group rules require point bys. As a beginner (or experienced driver really) you'll want to do this.

I recommend both for safety really. Imo a helmet shouldn't be optional.

The rules say use your turn signals to signal someone that they're clear to pass. What do I get for a racing helmet? I need one for my GF too then.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Some people will probably disagree with this, but find a friend that rides motorcycles and borrow a couple of helmets that fit properly, rather than spending money and finding out it isn't your thing.
A lot of organizations that cater to new drivers will have helmets to borrow, also.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Some people will probably disagree with this, but find a friend that rides motorcycles and borrow a couple of helmets that fit properly, rather than spending money and finding out it isn't your thing.
A lot of organizations that cater to new drivers will have helmets to borrow, also.

I'll call and ask if they have ones I can borrow. Thanks. How much height does a helmet add? I'm a tall guy and I'm pretty close to the sunroof as it is.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

BlackMK4 posted:

yeah I was going to suggest seeing if you can loan one because any modern snell rated helmet is not cheap. If you do end up liking all this at all you'll be spending lots of money anyway so put off what you can now :D

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of helmets, would something like the Sparco Club X1 or J1 be OK for autocross and small tracks (like 100km/h max)? They're often optional so that got to be better than nothing.

The last couple of times I borrowed them from someone at the event but it's kind of awkward and annoying.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I would say any decent helmet is fine for autocross since the risk is fairly minimal, but definitely wear one.

For track stuff i would say use a nice snell helmet.

I had an issue with my fist and its sunroof during autox, if i ever get another id go no sunroof for sure.

I really need to do a track day in my miata this year, just need to pony up for a good rollbar - just redid the brakes, got some new kyb agx shocks, and im planning on replacing all the bushings - hopefully will be ready before the end of the summer!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KillHour posted:

I think you run with windows up unless you have a net.

I'm also looking to get a helmet, any good recommendations goons?

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I bought this cheap one for rallycross and trackdays and I like it pretty well. Maybe it won't protect your head as well as a more expensive helmet, I don't know. Works fine for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS04EQJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Zaphod42 posted:

Trying stuff on really does help - head shapes aren't universal. I may be spoiled by having auto racing suppliers local though.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I've had a basic bell helmet for years and it's never given me any trouble. Probably need a new one on age alone even if autox doesn't check the dates.

Every hpde or autox I've done has been windows down even without a net.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mekilljoydammit posted:

Trying stuff on really does help - head shapes aren't universal. I may be spoiled by having auto racing suppliers local though.

Yeah I guess I need to find a race shop to go try some in person.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Winding Road Racing is in Austin. Swing by and go try on some helmets.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

KillHour posted:

I'm actually a little worried that the car can write checks my inexperienced rear end can't cash.

Track Mode soft suspension and turn the traction control back on. The nannies will take care of you and make you seem like a god.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mekilljoydammit posted:

Coming from motorcycles... this is for reals. Also, helmets break in like a full size.
It's too bad that trying on a SA helmet is loving difficult unless you live in a place that has shops that stock. I want an Arai, they have legit saved my life twice, but I don't know what head shape they equate to (motorcycle -> SA helmet shell shape) so for now my HJC AR-10 III works fine.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I got the WRR starting roadrace package which is perfectly good but the head shape on the helmet isn't right. Probably going to Pegasus once the SA2015 cert is past its lifetime.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I think I’m going to go carbon or something once 2015 very is done. Super light helmets seem like they are clutch.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Actually I was going to ask this because I was thinking about getting a full face motorcycle helmet and trying doing a cruiser track day and I was wondering if I got a SNELL rated one if I could also use it for autocross or a car track day. I've got an RX8 that's been my daily driver for almost a decade and I've always meant to get it on a track and actually see what it can do but never seem to find the time.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Snell DOT and Snell SA are different categories, though they are some helmets that meet both. Motorcycle DOT and Snell DOT don't have to be fire retardant and don't have the same side impact and multiple impact testing the SA helmets do.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I was at Roebling in my '82 911SC Monday, and pulled some highlights (one of my better laps starts about 4:50). If anybody has some comments or suggestions I'd love to hear them. It was just shy of 90 with a blazing sun all day, everyone's tires were melty so there was a lot of sliding to be had by all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC_g0SS07pw

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 9, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

DJ Commie posted:

Snell DOT and Snell SA are different categories, though they are some helmets that meet both. Motorcycle DOT and Snell DOT don't have to be fire retardant and don't have the same side impact and multiple impact testing the SA helmets do.

Which I find strange, since I have yet to bail on a motorcycle and not come away with multiple helmet hits.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Dave Inc. posted:

I was at Roebling in my '82 911SC Monday, and pulled some highlights (one of my better laps starts about 4:50). If anybody has some comments or suggestions I'd love to hear them. It was just shy of 90 with a blazing sun all day, everyone's tires were melty so there was a lot of sliding to be had by all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC_g0SS07pw

*sigh*

every time you post one of these videos i go look on craigslist and then remember i'll never be able to afford an older 911

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

DJ Commie posted:

That's interesting because Snell M2015 is the standard for motorcycle racing so you'd think they'd be even better (due to lack of protective steel cage).

That said, is it the sort of thing that would be allowed for newbie level stuff? I'm talking try autocross or track day once to see if I want to open another pit in my life in which to pour money.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

One consideration though is that motorcycle helmets are rarely going to be striking a 1.5-1.75" diameter steel tube. That happens in auto racing sometimes.

A lot of stuff allows lower helmet certs for track day / autocross though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

KillHour posted:

I will likely be there this evening and have run this track many times. Look for a race prepped silver BMW in a white enclosed trailer. The car will have R14 on the front and back windshield. I need to replace my wheel studs as one broke and it depends on how long that takes...

Always happy to help if you have questions.