Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

3 parts pineapple juice, 1 part Everclear.

Video is coming, but verdict is “not terrible”. There’s a very distinct warmth/burning in your stomach, but it doesn’t wreck your mouth and throat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

How rough is everclear? The cheapest pure grain I tried here doesn't numb the tongue enough to avoid the awful bitter aftertaste.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
lol imagine living in a country where Everclear is legal. THANKS, BRUSSELS :britain:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

How rough is everclear? The cheapest pure grain I tried here doesn't numb the tongue enough to avoid the awful bitter aftertaste.

Everclear at 95% ABV is unusual because it's no longer at the stage where it has flavor or smell. You expect it to be incredibly strong when you open the bottle, like rubbing alcohol, but it has virtually no smell at all. It is cold when you get it on your skin, though.

The taste of pure 95% Everclear is nothing but vegetal alcohol bitterness, but it's quickly overwhelmed by the sensation of chemical burns everywhere in your mouth and esophagus that it touches.

Here's the video! Joey is also the lead actress for my horror film that I'm doing, and she was very excited to have the opportunity to get wasted and help me cook medieval food for the Historical Cooking thread (even though she can't cook to save her life). As you can see, she's incredibly expressive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eY8i9lqvzk

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

As yiss, get medieval on your digestive tract.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also I am really loving the Rode VideoMic for its price.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Also I am really loving the Rode VideoMic for its price.

IIRC ElectroBOOM swears by Rode too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

http://henryhargreaves.com/#from-mre-to-michelin

This guy took military rations (all of which you've seen in this thread) and attempted to prepare the resulting ingredients in the style of a fancy restaurant. I'm especially proud of the "black tea dust" for Lithuania.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Is there a link to the medieval cooking thread/content yet? I’d love to read it

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

http://henryhargreaves.com/#from-mre-to-michelin

This guy took military rations (all of which you've seen in this thread) and attempted to prepare the resulting ingredients in the style of a fancy restaurant. I'm especially proud of the "black tea dust" for Lithuania.

I like the idea of it but I'm disappointed they didn't use all of the MRE, make multiple courses, or show the step by step preparation. A sub-par Chopped episode.

Theokotos posted:

Is there a link to the medieval cooking thread/content yet? I’d love to read it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849384 That?

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849384 That?
[/quote]

Yes! Thank you!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/ajaltamimi/status/755031427557851136

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The generic word for “meat” in Arabic is usually just in reference to some form of red meat, which is probably why “chicken” is mentioned separately.

“Fizzy drinks” is probably a weird way of translating the Arabic phrase for soda.

In case anybody was curious.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Internet Wizard posted:

The generic word for “meat” in Arabic is usually just in reference to some form of red meat, which is probably why “chicken” is mentioned separately.

“Fizzy drinks” is probably a weird way of translating the Arabic phrase for soda.

In case anybody was curious.

I've seen a lot of Australians and Brits insist on calling soda et al "fizzy drinks" the way midwesterners say "pop", so might just be someone from one of those countries.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sharabit is a fruit-flavored drink of some kind, and fasuliya is mostly beans in tomato sauce.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Think "fizzy lifting drinks" from Charlie/Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. :eng101:

The meat vs. chicken thing is present in the States, too, where health departments (maybe even the FDA?) require restaurant menus to carry a warning that reads "Consuming raw or undercooked meats, poultry, seafood, shellfish or eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness."

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
So meat is what, then? Goat?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phil Moscowitz posted:

So meat is what, then? Goat?

Probably goat or mutton.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

Sharabit is a fruit-flavored drink of some kind, and fasuliya is mostly beans in tomato sauce.

Sharabit sounds kind of like sherbet. Is it perhaps connected linguistically but diverged somehow, like biscuits and biscotti?

Like, a chilled/iced fruit drink?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Sharabit sounds kind of like sherbet. Is it perhaps connected linguistically but diverged somehow, like biscuits and biscotti?

Like, a chilled/iced fruit drink?

Almost definitely.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Almost definitely.

Actually, I thought sherbet was more a fruit nectar style of drink, with the chilled factor being highly variable.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I think it's this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharbat

sherbet guess is right.

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 8, 2018

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Sounds look much like “Shart Bat” which itself is a horrible thought

Roadkillcafe
May 12, 2018

chitoryu12 posted:

MREs are always incorporating new ethnic cuisines like Mexican, Indian, and Chinese and the various regional American cuisines to appeal to a wider variety of soldiers.

Honestly I've really enjoyed the new additions and adds a nice variety when I get a handful of these for a weekend.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I actually got a new ration! Freeze-dried Norwegian according to the seller.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I actually got a new ration! Freeze-dried Norwegian according to the seller.

Neat! Can't wait!

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I just spent a week-and-a-half in the Estonian forests during Siil 2018 and had the "pleasure" of eating our rations again (last time was back in May of 2016, which is when my 11 months of conscription ended)
From this ration #3, the dark caffeinated Swiss chocolate is great and the stroganof is also pretty good, especially for canned food. Ate it cold, of course, who has the time & patience to dick around with a kerosene stove?
The worst part is the coffee - branded as "Best Coffee", comes in a teabag and tastes like dirt.

(gave this complete package as a gift (?) to my grandma for Mother's day)

e: I can share a bit more of my perspective on the Estonian rations later

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 15, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
This... is probably of tangential relevance, but seeing as how it's the military food thread and not the MRE thread, I happened across a BBC program, where Heston Blumenthal was tasked with the goal of tackling the standard menu of Royal Navy submarines, the results of which are said to have resulted in widespread changes across the entire British armed forces.

program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZnqxW_kcJ4

source: https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/heston-blumenthals-slow-food-going-117411

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So they sent me the wrong ration.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

chitoryu12 posted:

That doesn't look like a freeze dried Norwegian at all. I was expecting Ötzi's northern cousin.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

chitoryu12 posted:

Just don't embarrass yourself like the guy who ate one on YouTube and couldn't figure out the bread.
There's a German expression, "Dumm wie Dosenbrot" - as stupid as tinned bread.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zopotantor posted:

Just don't embarrass yourself like the guy who ate one on YouTube and couldn't figure out the bread.

The bread is so weird though.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Zopotantor posted:

That's not even KiwiDude's most egregious mistake. In one video, he fucks up preparing instant ramen. He strained the noodles.

I miss his videos :(

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Was it Indonesian mi goreng style ramen? I grew up on that stuff and it just hurts if they try to eat it like normal ramen or they drain it out with the flavouring

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I liked how KiwiDude was like you took primitive man from a cave and gave him a MRE.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Grand Fromage posted:

I liked how KiwiDude was like you took primitive man from a cave and gave him a MRE.

At least he should be able to figure out the rock, or something.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Some Russian serial killer cannibals tried to find a new audience for their food.

quote:

At times, the couple tried to turn soldiers at the military academy where they worked into unwitting cannibals, slipping “canned human meat” into their food.

I'm guessing they couldn't tell the difference from their regular mess hall slop.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well, Brace Belden said the YPG kicked out some foreign fighter they called Cannibal Steve because he would just pick up asploded limbs and start chowing down.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, Brace Belden said the YPG kicked out some foreign fighter they called Cannibal Steve because he would just pick up asploded limbs and start chowing down.

I remember there was some French dude in the 19th century who was studied by scientists (well, as much as scientists back then could "study" anybody) for his absolutely insatiable appetite. He would get the shakes and sweats if he didn't eat almost constantly, but he was of normal body size and nobody could figure out where all these calories were going.

At one point he was stationed aboard a naval warship. He would try to sneak severed limbs out from the surgeon's bucket to eat, and at one point someone had to stop him during a battle from grabbing a limb that had just been blown off by shrapnel and eating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are you thinking about Tarrare?

• Locked thread