Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Probably so. We were told to leave it on at least two days. It hurt a bit to peel but other than that it’s the absolute best recovery I’ve had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Stretch it sideways to take it off and it doesn't hurt at all!

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Danaher DVDs are 9 hours long. I can’t wait to pay hundreds of dollars to listen to a bald weeb say ‘senpai’ a lot for the length of three godfather movies.

(I’m still going to do it tho)

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

The ACBJJ card has been live for a couple hours.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Panza is the most handsome man I have ever rolled with.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Danaher DVDs are 9 hours long. I can’t wait to pay hundreds of dollars to listen to a bald weeb say ‘senpai’ a lot for the length of three godfather movies.

(I’m still going to do it tho)

Same. Once I get paid and transfer some money to my US account I'm gonna buy the Craig Jones DVDs are they're 70 bucks last I saw.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

What do you do when you're in guard and the person on top stands up and bring you with them? I don't want to fall and break my rear end and I'm strong enough to hold on. I'm not sure what the point is, if there is an obvious counter I'm not thinking of...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

HamsterPolice posted:

What do you do when you're in guard and the person on top stands up and bring you with them? I don't want to fall and break my rear end and I'm strong enough to hold on. I'm not sure what the point is, if there is an obvious counter I'm not thinking of...

1 - open your guard to allow them to stand up, or break their posture to make sure they never get the chance to stand up.

2 - If they stand, follow up somehow. The simplest version is the lumberjack or dummy sweep, which is basically just blocking their heels and giving them a nudge so they trip over backwards. To survey open guard options vs a standing opponent could basically be a dissertation on its own.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

If they’ve stood up in your closed guard, your closed guard has failed in its purpose of controlling them, so open your guard and work something else before they do it for you.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

It's more like they have stood up and brought me with them so my back is off the ground, probably because I am a lighter guy I guess. Seems like they are burning a ton of energy to do this and I don't see a way for them to pass my guard without straight up slamming me on the ground and expecting me to open my guard on impact. I'll try to find a pic that describes it.

edit:

HamsterPolice fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 7, 2018

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
If their base isn't wide enough when they stand up you can just loosen up your closed guard a bit and slip down. Grab both of his legs and tip him over one side or the other.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

HamsterPolice posted:

It's more like they have stood up and brought me with them so my back is off the ground, probably because I am a lighter guy I guess. Seems like they are burning a ton of energy to do this and I don't see a way for them to pass my guard without straight up slamming me on the ground and expecting me to open my guard on impact. I'll try to find a pic that describes it.

edit:

It depends on what ruleset you're using. To me though, the threat of being slammed (even though its typically illegal) is enough for me to profoundly not like this situation. I'd open my guard to prevent from being lifted, or as mentioned break their posture to prevent the lift the in the first place.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

If you have a cross sleeve grip can you go for the waiter sweep there?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

HamsterPolice posted:

Seems like they are burning a ton of energy to do this and I don't see a way for them to pass my guard without straight up slamming me on the ground and expecting me to open my guard on impact.

You're burning a lot of energy holding guard too and knocking the other guy out seems like a pretty good way to pass guard so maybe don't come at it from this angle.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Let them pick you up, open guard and drop your feet, double leg.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 7, 2018

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

HamsterPolice posted:

Seems like they are burning a ton of energy to do this and I don't see a way for them to pass my guard without straight up slamming me on the ground and expecting me to open my guard on impact.

This is the exact thought that will go through the head of the first idiot whitebelt you try this on in a tournament. It'll supercede any understanding he has of the rules and you'll end up on one of those bjj DQ fails videos.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

Thanks all!

Any good nogi shirts/spats? Or does it matter?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

quidditch it and quit it posted:

That’s literally the first time I’ve heard of that, what team are with if you don’t mind me asking?

San Diego Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in San Marcos CA.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ihop posted:

This is the exact thought that will go through the head of the first idiot whitebelt you try this on in a tournament. It'll supercede any understanding he has of the rules and you'll end up on one of those bjj DQ fails videos.

On one hand you're not allowed to slam your opponent and slamming him is super dumb. On the other, doing something stupid i.e jumping guard/maintaining closed guard when the guy stands is also very stupid.

Both should be punished some how.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Quick Question - Are there any knee attacks that attack the joint while bent? Or do all knee attacks required the leg to be extended?

Hope you all are still kicking rear end and taking belts!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

HamsterPolice posted:

edit:

I do this all the time - it's actually quite energy efficient for the lifter, as you're encouraging them to open their guard. By sitting back, you're using the opponent's weight as a counterbalance, and it's quite stable. Once they open their guard, you set up your open guard pass.

It has nothing to do with slamming, and everything to do with you trying to hold a situp and burning out your abs, until you open your guard. I suppose it works better in no-gi, as there are less handles for the guy getting picked up to help him sit up.

quote:

I am a big fan of Scramble spats. https://scramblestuff.us/c/fight-wear/spats-tights/
I've got 3 pairs, and the earliest pair I purchased (way back in 2010, before they were cool!) is still holding up, with some minor abrasion wear to the knees. Worth every penny.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

HamsterPolice posted:

Thanks all!

Sub Sports stuff on Amazon has been good for me. I really like Hayabusa stuff too but it's pricey

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Quick Question - Are there any knee attacks that attack the joint while bent? Or do all knee attacks required the leg to be extended?

the calf slicer will eventually attack the joint by making it literally explode into meat confetti

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Heelhooks.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like hypnotik stuff for nogi but I'm also a sucker for cosmic/space themes so thats ptobably why.

Also anyone have a good knee support suggestion for rolling? I have a CVS one thats fine but it tends to get a bit out of position making me have to pause and fix it or work through it.

Is NeverTap a good one or just overhyped.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Toehold is another good one, because the defence to it is straightening the leg, leading to a heel hook or a kneebah.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

Toehold is another good one, because the defence to it is straightening the leg, leading to a heel hook or a kneebah.

Speaking of which:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55Uuah0kz2Q

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Aaaaand saved.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

The Tatami NoGi rash guards are pretty awesome IMO. A lot of rash guards have kind of a thin material, but the Tatami just feel like they are built to last.

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

The Danaher leg lock instructional became available about an hour or so ago: https://bjjfanatics.com/products/leglocks-enter-the-system-by-john-danaher?variant=8165889507426

197 for digital and 227 for digital + DVD.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Any nogi shirts that are a tighter fit? Girlfriend needs new ones as she went from a busty petite to flat in the past year.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I guess I have to go to Columbia South Carolina for a couple weeks to take care of my dad. Any recommendations for gyms in the area?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

district of thizz posted:

The Danaher leg lock instructional became available about an hour or so ago: https://bjjfanatics.com/products/leglocks-enter-the-system-by-john-danaher?variant=8165889507426

197 for digital and 227 for digital + DVD.

$197! BjjFanatics dvds are usually around $80 and thats for the ones that aren't on sale.

Danaher is going to make a fortune.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It’s 8 hours long, the price is not unreasonable. But it’s gonna be awhile before I can afford that, yeesh.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

It’s 8 hours long,

I didnt know that. Thats actually pretty reasonable then! But yep, add it to the wishlist :D

edit: Actually its 10 hours, so hell yes its reasonable.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 8, 2018

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Thanks for he knowledge. I’ve got some extra things bookmarked!

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

The Tatami NoGi rash guards are pretty awesome IMO. A lot of rash guards have kind of a thin material, but the Tatami just feel like they are built to last.

I have a Tatami rashguard that I like except it bled like crazy, so if you do get one put it through the wash by itself a few times before you wear it unless you like ruining your/your training partner's gis.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

It’s 8 hours long, the price is not unreasonable. But it’s gonna be awhile before I can afford that, yeesh.

I can afford it but yeah I gotta wait as well. Going to China is an additional $250 for Americans due to their visa rules :smith:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I usually split a bjjfanatics purchase between two other people to bring the price down to something that doesn't hurt. I would need to split the danaher dvds between like ten people, at which point it's basically just piracy, so eh. I'll just sell my house or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

where would you find ten people interested in that dvd