Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
often it’s harder on the woman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
current gnome's hell status:

installed the memory leak fix from a fedora update, now mutter hard-locks for 57 cpu-seconds (according to ps) as soon as you log in

amazing.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

the standard exists and is called gstreamer

why ff and chrome don't use it on linux i honestly have no idea

because it's dogshit

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

the standard exists and is called gstreamer

why ff and chrome don't use it on linux i honestly have no idea

lets use the library most famous for having roughly ten million security holes when it was noted that it included a dozen different hacked up console emulators to play chiptunes

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

because it's dogshit

gstreamer is fine? What's dogshit about it?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ratbert90 posted:

functionally, it can take 10+ seconds to assemble a pipeline and actually play anything.

in a larger sense, the main problem is that most of the plugins are hot garbage. riddled with security holes, patent problems, unclear copyrights, etc

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
not sure what you think the solution to bad third party plugins existing is. are you suggesting that the chiptune poo poo is installed ootb on red hat? i could believe it on ubuntu, certainly.

gstreamer-based thumbnailers did have some security issues, yes. iirc they are sandboxed now, so that class of security issues no longer exists.

decoding video on the cpu is not an acceptable architecture in 2018, period. that's about four or five steps behind where things actually need to be right now.

everything on cpu < software decoding with colorspace conversion in a gpu shader < software decoding with yuv overlays < hardware decoding with yuv overlays < zero copy hardware decoding with yuv overlays < full hardware codec with zero copy acquisition and presentation

and at the rate things are going i'm going to be drawing social security with even h265 several decades out of patent before that last thing happens

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

gstreamer itself classifies plugins into three categories: good (decent quality code, patent-free), bad (hot garbage trashfire, basically unmaintained), and ugly (good code and maintained but patent-encumbered). it should be telling that most of the plugins that you care about in most scenarios are in the "bad" category.

firefox themselves said that "gstreamer wasn't MSE compliant", which i'm not sure i believe since at endless we built chromium-gstreamer and got hardware vdec working with it, but i believe it's a big enough pain to not bother supporting it. gstreamer's ridiculous threading model and apis are hard to use and even though comcast sunk a bunch of money into it they still don't use most of gstreamer.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The gstreamer vuln with the thing running 6502 code in an emulator because it was used for a NES chiptune codec is one of the better bugs.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

functionally, it can take 10+ seconds to assemble a pipeline and actually play anything.

in a larger sense, the main problem is that most of the plugins are hot garbage. riddled with security holes, patent problems, unclear copyrights, etc

That just means your pipeline is poo poo. I've made plenty of gstreamer apps in the past and they all start instantly. Also, playbin is quite fast?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I cant install nvidia's junk without loving with this "nouveau" kernel module first so im gonna leave it be for now

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

weird workaround I've found so far is to post links to the videos in discord and then watch it through the embed preview in chat. whatever rendering stuff linux discord uses works when firefox and chromium don't

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

presumably a web video client would construct the pipeline itself rather than throwing it at playbin2, which eliminates the trash fire plugins and the startup delay

iirc thee MSE thing requires access to the MP4 bitstream at a lower level than gstreamer provides

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
It always puzzled me how I could easily hardware decode things in media players in linux but browsers was impossible, last I tried you could hackup chrome to be the chromeos version and it would do hardware decode.
which leads me to think that google won't enable it for non chromeos due to how every distro, subdistro and whatever changes something on it that would render it not functional

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Celexi posted:

It always puzzled me how I could easily hardware decode things in media players in linux but browsers was impossible, last I tried you could hackup chrome to be the chromeos version and it would do hardware decode.

i don't know the story on the firefox side, but for chrome it is easily explained

google ships their own copies of every library, and sets an LD_LIBRARY_PATH. their ffmpeg doesn't link to your system vdpau.

it is difficult to ship your own vdpau because it is provided by graphics drivers. although, chrome obviously has no problem loading opengl; why doesn't it load vdpau the same way?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

its because computers were a mistake. folk's we gotta go back in time and whoop Babbage's rear end

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
YOSPOS: folk's we gotta go back in time and whoop Babbage's rear end

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

https://streamable.com/2ncio
saved this vid to disk and tried opening it in the video player. whole system locked up, couldnt ctrl+alt+F2 to get to a console, nothing. amazed that linux poo poo still breaks this badly in 2018

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I upgraded to Fedora 28 using the auto upgrader and had to remove ghostscript first because apparently it used to be one humongous package and now they’re splitting it into binaries and libraries.

After an otherwise painless upgrade, I noticed that Fedora finally dispensed with the one nicety that I’ve always took the time to enable (besides alternatetab) - desktop icons

then again, they promise to bring it back

I really hope this gets fixed before the next centos gets released, since desktop icons are an incredibly important part of the workflow for many people

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

sounds like something there are multiple extensions for

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

ok I lasted two days before giving up and reinstalling win10. linux still too lovely for desktop use

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

brand engager posted:

https://streamable.com/2ncio
saved this vid to disk and tried opening it in the video player. whole system locked up, couldnt ctrl+alt+F2 to get to a console, nothing. amazed that linux poo poo still breaks this badly in 2018

opens and plays fine in vlc and mpv

works for me, you're holding it wrong, etc...

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The_Franz posted:

opens and plays fine in vlc and mpv

works for me, you're holding it wrong, etc...

Also works fine with me.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
drat it’s almost like a big part of the problem with desktop linux is a complete lack of coherent management allowing one persons computer and not others to eg hardlock playing a video

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i like how nvidia refusing to support for their products well is a desktop linux problem

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Phobeste posted:

drat it’s almost like a big part of the problem with desktop linux is a complete lack of coherent management allowing one persons computer and not others to eg hardlock playing a video
If you burn your dick making pop tarts it's probably not the toaster's fault.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
*windows crashes due to buggy as poo poo webcam driver you installed to chaturbate written by some dude in Belarus *

"loving micro$haft"

*bloatware running in the background crashes explorer*

"fuk you Satya"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Truga posted:

i like how nvidia refusing to support for their products well is a desktop linux problem

the idiot really cannot usefully be blamed for making stupid decisions, but it is still not wise to elect him president

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

*windows crashes due to buggy as poo poo webcam driver you installed to chaturbate written by some dude in Belarus *

"loving micro$haft"

*bloatware running in the background crashes explorer*

"fuk you Satya"
free teapot

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if only we had a stable binary driver abi so that linux could experience the quality of IHV-supplied drivers that windows enjoys

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the situation with nvidia is pretty unfortunate but again, all they gotta do is get a kernel driver into mainline and they can make their userland (the bit with the clever stuff) as proprietary as they want, and they'd have a rock solid kernel abi to program against as well. you know, the exact thing that amd's proprietary driver just accomplished with a fraction of nv's resources.

no, the linux kernel must be made to look exactly like the nt kernel down to the HANDLE and DWORD typedefs and if you don't do that then we're going to throw all our toys out of the pram

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
*Slams dick into car door*

Well this door is just plain broken!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

ratbert90 posted:

*Slams dick into car door*

Well this door is just plain broken!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

rock solid kernel abi

lmao

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

heart touching?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

talc maybe

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

install a windows 7 gpu driver on windows 10 and lmk know you get on

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

install a windows 7 gpu driver on windows 10 and lmk know you get on

Hell, install an original win10 gpu driver on the latest update.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Sapozhnik posted:

the situation with nvidia is pretty unfortunate but again, all they gotta do is get a kernel driver into mainline and they can make their userland (the bit with the clever stuff) as proprietary as they want, and they'd have a rock solid kernel abi to program against as well. you know, the exact thing that amd's proprietary driver just accomplished with a fraction of nv's resources.

no, the linux kernel must be made to look exactly like the nt kernel down to the HANDLE and DWORD typedefs and if you don't do that then we're going to throw all our toys out of the pram

i got a laptop with an nvidia quadro p3000. wanted to do cuda so i installed the nvidia proprietary blob

somehow the garbage fire trashheap nvidia driver is worse at 3d acceleration on this card than intel uhd graphics. turning on desktop compositing results in windows moving at 2 fps when i drag them across the screen

had to turn on the intel uhd drivers and disable the nvidia xorg driver so i can have cuda and a functional desktop. meanwhile, i have a laptop with a recent radeon, and it works out of the box with hybrid graphics on linux and kms and everything.

thanks nvidia for your lovely drivers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Condiv posted:

i got a laptop with an nvidia quadro p3000. wanted to do cuda so i installed the nvidia proprietary blob

somehow the garbage fire trashheap nvidia driver is worse at 3d acceleration on this card than intel uhd graphics. turning on desktop compositing results in windows moving at 2 fps when i drag them across the screen

had to turn on the intel uhd drivers and disable the nvidia xorg driver so i can have cuda and a functional desktop. meanwhile, i have a laptop with a recent radeon, and it works out of the box with hybrid graphics on linux and kms and everything.

thanks nvidia for your lovely drivers

comedy option: use coriander and nouveau