Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

KungFu Grip posted:

Strong BJ being so high up on the list is kind of surprising.

I have no idea what team this is, and am afraid to Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The Hart Foundation was an extremely okay to somewhat good team that stood out in WWE tags at the time cause after the Bulldogs they were the next best tag team. WWF Tag teams were way behind the NWA in pretty much every way

If you want to know why The Hart Foundation didn't rank check how many points the Rock N Roll Express got. It's not like that was unfair either.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Evil Badman posted:

I have no idea what team this is, and am afraid to Google.

its two stocky and powerful japanese guys that wrestle in japanese indies and AJPW

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Feels like The Kings of Wrestling are under-rated in that poll. They were so much fun with so many obnoxious double team moves.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
KoW were the proto bucks, hell Chris Hero's gimmick forever was a parody of an indie wrestler.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
BEST NON-WRESTLER

"Manager of the Year" only existed between 1983-96, so I'm not counting the votes from there (Cornette ran away with it, for the record). Best Non-Wrestler was created in 1999 as sort of a continuation, only this time incorporating managers, valets, authority figures, interviewers, and any other character who doesn't necessarily wrestle full-time.

There's also a lot of wrestlers on this list who got votes for GM runs and like half of them went back to wrestling, which kinda defeats the purpose of "non-wrestling character," but whatever.

:siren: COMPLETE YEAR-BY-YEAR RESULTS https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fEAXJBVFgrUFQAZ8l6nUy9aMIT0gli54ElPLfx0W2Iw/edit?usp=sharing

code:
Paul Heyman	104
Jim Cornette	84
Vince McMahon	73
Vickie Guerrero	53
Eric Bischoff	41
James Mitchell	37
Ricardo Rodriguez	32
Dario Cueto	32
Stephanie McMahon	29
William Regal	27
Ric Flair	26
Mick Foley	25
Teddy Long	23
Larry Sweeney	21
Gedo	21
Shane McMahon	20
Konnan	19
Daniel Bryan	19
Prince Nana	18
Truth Martini	16
Lana	14
Stokely Hathaway	13
Scott D'Amore	12
Karen Angle/Jarrett	12
Joel Gertner	11
Cyrus	11
Kenny Bolin	11
Steve Austin	10
Sharmell	10
Nobuhiko Takada	10
Michael Cole	10
John Laurinaitis	10
Antonio Inoki	9
Armando Estrada	9
Zeb Colter	9
Maria Kanellis	9
Zelina Vega	9
Stacy Kiebler	8
Dana White	8
Don West	8
Xavier Woods	8
Torrie Wilson	7
AJ Lee	7
Bruce Tharpe	7
Maryse	7
Debra	6
Nidia	6
Mike Briscoe	6
Barrister RD Evans	6
Brad Maddox	6
Renee Young	6
Trish Stratus	5
Dan Lambert	5
Dawn Marie	4
KeMonito	4
Shawn Michaels	3
Melina	3
Lacey	3
Paul Bearer	3
Catrina	3
Goldy Locks	2
Ricky Steamboat	2
Julius Smokes	2
Kevin Nash	2
Abraham Washington	2
Nigel McGuinness	2
Rockstar Spud	2
Bill Alfonso	1
Francine	1
Kevin Federline	1
Thoughts

-- For the first half of this list it looked like Vince would run the table, but he fell to third place after reducing his TV role. So it's Heyman and Cornette on top instead.

-- Vickie Guerrero got more mileage out of two words than probably anyone in modern WWE history.

-- Remember when Alberto Del Rio was interesting? Probably not, but in case you do, you have Ricardo to thank for that.

-- This might be a stretch, but I doubt Lucha Underground gets more than one season without El Jefe being the best character by a country mile. Even in the show's weak later seasons, he was still popular enough to get votes. So of course they killed him off for ... reasons :shrug:

-- Who the gently caress are these people that voted for Heel Michael Cole, show yourselves and beg for mercy.

-- I wouldn't be surprised if Spud shows up again as Drake Maverick on this year's voting.

-- Man, people really liked that one time K-Fed beat up John Cena.

Up next: Best Television Announcer
Finally, it's Matt Striker's time to shine!

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013
I guess when Paul Bearer was at his peak this was a pretty competitive field, right? 3 points seems awfully low

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Funkchop posted:

I guess when Paul Bearer was at his peak this was a pretty competitive field, right? 3 points seems awfully low

He got "Worst Manager" votes back when that was a thing so ... you might be disappointed either way.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Nidia? Seriously?

I'm also surprised that K-Fed got a vote out of his little story with Cena.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Nidia and Jamie Noble were a fun little trailer trash act.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I know, it just register as anything outstanding enough to end up on an award ballot. :shrug:

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Nidia and Jamie Noble were a fun little trailer trash act.

Also had a theme that gets stuck in my head all the time https://youtu.be/BSmIRZ_ORtc

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Benne posted:

-- Who the gently caress are these people that voted for Heel Michael Cole, show yourselves and beg for mercy.

Heel Michael Cole got nuclear heat, and we'd remember it more fondly had they let King go over him clean as a whistle at Mania. So of course they screwed it up.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

D.N. Nation posted:

Heel Michael Cole got nuclear heat, and we'd remember it more fondly had they let King go over him clean as a whistle at Mania. So of course they screwed it up.

It truly was the easiest booking ever. Booking 101. And they botched it.

It’s one reason why I never ever ever give them the benefit of the doubt.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
How exactly was Vince McMahon a "Non-Wrestler" in 1999 when he main-evented multiple PPVs, won the Royal Rumble, and even WON THE WWF TITLE.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

because he wasnt a wrestler

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

Vince had as many TV/PPV matches in 1999 as Brock Lesnar has had since 2015.

He main evented 4 PPVs that year.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Managers always have a few matches here and there, that's kind of the point of a manager. It doesn't make them a wrestler. It's weird when the category is BEST NON WRESTLER, but it's pretty clear he has a non wrestling role, he's good in it and his matches are more to further storylines than because he is a full time wrestler.

Plus his singles matches in PPV main events flopped proving he is BEST as a NON WRESTLER!

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I know I'm late for the tag team discussion but the Motor City Machine Guns and Beer Money are my fondest memories of the first time I got into wrestling. They had a series of matches for the titles that were just fab.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

spamman posted:

I know I'm late for the tag team discussion but the Motor City Machine Guns and Beer Money are my fondest memories of the first time I got into wrestling. They had a series of matches for the titles that were just fab.

Probably because they actually felt like tag teams that did tag team things and seemed more than just this guy and this guy thrown together.

Yeah, I know Beer Money were exactly that because they were of heel alignment, but they actually made it work incredibly well.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
We're back! Let's get straight to it.

BEST TV ANNOUNCER

Wrestling announcer is probably one of the most important jobs in the business. Not only are you tasked with calling the action and getting storylines over, you serve as the viewers' trusted guide, providing an air of credibility to an often ridiculous faux-sport. The ones who do this well are revered legends who connect generations together. The ones who don't ... well, we'll get to that later.

:siren: COMPLETE YEAR-BY-YEAR RESULTS https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x1PTkpoLkAtam-Qx8Gd5eRlpuyMDJqvhUzWnHG_hyCA/edit?usp=sharing

code:
Jim Ross	257
Mike Tenay	109
Joe Rogan	93
Lance Russell	85
Joey Styles	77
Tony Schiavone	69
Mauro Ranallo	53
Gordon Solie	50
Mike Goldberg	49
Vince McMahon	48
Tazz	47
Kevin Kelly	44
Shimpei Nogami	39
Jim Cornette	36
William Regal	34
Jerry Lawler	33
Bas Rutten	32
JBL	32
Michael Schiavello	27
Corey Graves	27
Bill Watts	22
Akira Fukuzawa	22
Matt Striker	22
Scott Hudson	19
Nigel McGuinness	19
Yoshinori Tsuji	18
Alfonso Morales	17
Don Callis	17
Steve Corino	17
Michael Cole	16
Jesse Ventura	14
Bob Caudle	14
Arturo Rivera	13
Dave Prazak	13
Chris Cruise	12
Bruce Beck	12
Stephen Quadros	12
CM Punk	11
Mike Hogewood	11
Brian Stann	11
Gene Okerlund	10
Frank Mir	10
Jeff Blatnick	9
Paul Heyman	9
Frank Bonnema	8
Josh Mathews	8
Mark Nulty	7
Josh Barnett	7
Ichiro Furutachi	6
Dave Brown	5
Don West	5
Jimmy Smith	5
Jose Manuel Guillen	5
Nick Bockwinkel	4
Wakabayashi	4
Bobby Heenan	4
Scott Stanford	4
Larry Zbyszko	3
Mark Madden	3
Eric Gargiulo	3
Daniel Bryan	3
Chuckie T	3
Chip Kessler	2
Jeff Osborne	2
Takashi Kajimi	2
Gus Johnson	2
Lenny Leonard	2
Excalibur	2
Joel Gertner	1
Court Bauer	1
Kenny Bolin	1
Stephen Bonnar	1
Julio Cesar Rivera	1
Thoughts

-- JR laps the field in by far the biggest landslide of this project so far. He's another guy who has longevity going for him, working more or less nonstop for over 30 years. Even his divisive New Japan run still got votes, albeit probably more for reputation than anything. Either way, Good Ol' JR became beloved for a reason.

-- This is another category where wrestling and MMA are combined, and God, I really wish I knew what UFC fans see in Rogan.

-- Much of ECW has aged like a jar of mayo left out in the sun, and Joey Styles is no exception. His brief indie work after leaving WWE really exposed how dated his style had become. I'm just glad he didn't finish above Lance Russell here.

-- I really like Nogami, but I also want to see the Venn diagram between "people who vote for New Japan announcers" and " people who actually know Japanese."

-- People still watching WCW in 2000 must've been deep down the Stockholm Syndrome rabbit hole. That's the only explanation I have for why Mark Madden showed up here.

-- If you're wondering "hey where the hell is Gorilla," not gonna spoil anything but ... buddy, I have some bad news about WON voters' opinions of Gorilla Monsoon back in the day.

Up next: Worst TV announcer
THERE'S NO THIGH SLAPPING HERE

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not shocked Gorilla isn't on here cause while he was the best WWF announcer with Bobby he was the worst with anyone else.

Gordon Solie seems low but than his peak was before the WOR awards

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Not shocked Gorilla isn't on here cause while he was the best WWF announcer with Bobby he was the worst with anyone else.

Gordon Solie seems low but than his peak was before the WOR awards

Solie was frequently lampooned as a drunk in mid/late-1980s Observers.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

He was great with Ventura and even OK with Lord Alfred Hayes a good bit of the time.

But the votes for Mark Madden alone are justification for burning the WON awards to the ground for this category.

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013
Why is Heenan so low? I know the majority of his WCW run was total dogshit but he was anywhere from okay to amazing for almost 10 years before that, right? Right???

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Funkchop posted:

Why is Heenan so low? I know the majority of his WCW run was total dogshit but he was anywhere from okay to amazing for almost 10 years before that, right? Right???

Announcer =/= Color Commentator

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

CM Punk did play-by-play during the walkout/strike angle, commentary for the rest of his time behind the table (including that “season” of NXT). Am I remembering that right?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

CM Punk did play-by-play during the walkout/strike angle, commentary for the rest of his time behind the table (including that “season” of NXT). Am I remembering that right?
yeah he did commentary a bunch in 2010 and it was really great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjBV2YZP5sc

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

quote:

-- This is another category where wrestling and MMA are combined, and God, I really wish I knew what UFC fans see in Rogan.

He’s legitimately excited about the sport and knowledgeable/personally involved and great at martial arts. He exaggerates a little on the mic when it comes to if a submission is in or not for suspense and he can be grating for some people but he’s really consistent

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Aesop Poprock posted:

He’s legitimately excited about the sport and knowledgeable/personally involved and great at martial arts. He exaggerates a little on the mic when it comes to if a submission is in or not for suspense and he can be grating for some people but he’s really consistent

He's knowledgeable about some parts of martial arts but he's really bad at knowing when submissions are "in deep". Also he introduced a lot of awful Eddie Bravo names for jiu jitsu holds to a wider audience.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Mike Tenay gets more votes than Lance Russell

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dave Brown deserves more love.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm legitimately glad to see Corey Graves is already getting votes. He's the best thing WWE has going for it right now.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Holy poo poo how did I miss this thread, this is awesome stuff Benne.

Has anyone tried to do some math and determine what point in time Okada is likely to overtake Kobashi for #2 (assuming current pace)? I would think #1 is feasible and #2 should be within a few years?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

forkboy84 posted:

He's knowledgeable about some parts of martial arts but he's really bad at knowing when submissions are "in deep". Also he introduced a lot of awful Eddie Bravo names for jiu jitsu holds to a wider audience.

It might also be a crossover thing from fans of his podcast. In any case, with the UFC using actual fighters as commentators, Rogan seems irrelevant. Didn't he flirt with the idea of walking away from the UFC for a bit?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Just catching up with this.

-Great to see Dragon Kid in the top 5 high-flyers. In his prime he was utterly jaw-dropping, and he's barely slowed down at 42.
-lol at Van Hammer being on the "overrated" list. I didn't realize he was ever rated in the first place. And Ludvig Borga? Snitsky!? These have to be troll votes.
-People liked Al Snow because of ECW cred. He had one good match with Benoit in '95 and coasted on ECW's cult following hype for years after.
-Michael Cole being above Jesse Ventura for announcer is a goddamn travesty. And why is Okerlund rated so low?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

sigmachiev posted:

Holy poo poo how did I miss this thread, this is awesome stuff Benne.

Has anyone tried to do some math and determine what point in time Okada is likely to overtake Kobashi for #2 (assuming current pace)? I would think #1 is feasible and #2 should be within a few years?

Very interesting question. For a quick refresher, I'm just doing a simple reverse-points system with 10 points for first place, 9 points for second, 8 for third, and so on. So here's the top of the WOTY list right now:

code:
Ric Flair	125
Kenta Kobashi	84
Mitsuharu Misawa	69
Hiroshi Tanahashi	69
John Cena	59
Kazuchika Okada	48
If Okada repeats in 2018 (which seems like a safe bet at this stage), he'll still be one point behind Cena. From there, he needs a couple more years of top-level performance to move past Tana and Misawa, which is hard but doable in the middle of his prime. Also, Tana isn't going away yet and is having a great 2018 himself, so I won't be surprised if he picks up more points this year.

Best-case scenario, Okada wins three more times and then challenges Kobashi for No. 2 in the fourth year. That's an extremely tall challenge -- Flair is the only one who's won WOTY four straight years, and nobody's touching him anytime soon. Even so, Okada is young enough and good enough that I expect plenty of high votes whether he wins or not. He'll get there one day.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

Just catching up with this.

-Great to see Dragon Kid in the top 5 high-flyers. In his prime he was utterly jaw-dropping, and he's barely slowed down at 42.
-lol at Van Hammer being on the "overrated" list. I didn't realize he was ever rated in the first place. And Ludvig Borga? Snitsky!? These have to be troll votes.
-People liked Al Snow because of ECW cred. He had one good match with Benoit in '95 and coasted on ECW's cult following hype for years after.
-Michael Cole being above Jesse Ventura for announcer is a goddamn travesty. And why is Okerlund rated so low?

Van Hammer was given several pushes over much better wrestlers in the early 90s. Borga and Snitsky both got pushes, Borga almost a main event push!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
People liked Al Snow because of SMW cred, not ECW cred, if I remember right. I think there was actually an Apter mag where he got hyped as "the best wrestler you've never seen" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Al Snow won the Observer Award for underrated of the year in 1996, as Leif Cassidy in WWF.

• Locked thread