Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

DoctorGonzo posted:

so this friday i have a bbq at work and need excuses to tell a coworker that i dont want to go to the after party without telling him that tomorrow i start a alcoholism treatment and psiquiatric counseling.

excuses...go

Claim bubble guts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Best is a subjective term you know, so you can't just.... oh wait, New Vegas? Yeah, best Fallout.

So I've beaten New Vegas but I don't quite get the best fallout mentality. Like I wanna know if I'm missing something. What about it makes it the best one? Specific examples appreciated :)

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

You all played New Vegas wrong. I went Yes Man until I killed him, usurped his robot army, hosed up the Legion and told the NCR to gtfo because I run New Vegas now

edit: oh wait i missed like a million posts

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 8, 2018

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Spikeguy posted:

So I've beaten New Vegas but I don't quite get the best fallout mentality. Like I wanna know if I'm missing something. What about it makes it the best one? Specific examples appreciated :)

the writing

cams
Mar 28, 2003

new vegas was also the first video game i can remember that had good, worthwhile dlc that i didn't feel ripped off buying.

dead money annoys me for taking your equipment away, but it is otherwise great. honest hearts is one of my favorite dlc's for any game, love the writing and story being told, and it is actually fun to go through. i found old world blues mildly boring gameplay-wise, but it was a fun story with a good concept and performances to keep it interesting. lonesome road might actually be my least favorite, just because it was unsatisfying to me as a true addition to the main story, but it was still fun to play through.

new vegas was very good.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

so this friday i have a bbq at work and need excuses to tell a coworker that i dont want to go to the after party without telling him that tomorrow i start a alcoholism treatment and psiquiatric counseling.

excuses...go

explosive diarrhea

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

cams posted:

new vegas was also the first video game i can remember that had good, worthwhile dlc that i didn't feel ripped off buying.

dead money annoys me for taking your equipment away, but it is otherwise great. honest hearts is one of my favorite dlc's for any game, love the writing and story being told, and it is actually fun to go through. i found old world blues mildly boring gameplay-wise, but it was a fun story with a good concept and performances to keep it interesting. lonesome road might actually be my least favorite, just because it was unsatisfying to me as a true addition to the main story, but it was still fun to play through.

new vegas was very good.

i actually didn't get to lonesome road in my playthrough because i accidentally ended up in the endgame before i got to it. i was scawwed of the scawwy monsters over there. ive been meaning to play it again though, its been a few years. dead money taking your gear was annoying, but made it soooo intense. old world blues was my favorite though, thats exactly the kinda retro-future science stuff i love from the series.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Fallout 4 is fun until you start playing the story. I felt the YOU GOTTA CHOOSE A SIDE bit was too forced because all these people are assholes. Like I wanna mind my settlements and tune my powered armor, go the gently caress away please and thank you.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dead Money was awesome and dark as gently caress. Old World Blues is amazing.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

coconono posted:

Fallout 4 is fun until you start playing the story. I felt the YOU GOTTA CHOOSE A SIDE bit was too forced because all these people are assholes. Like I wanna mind my settlements and tune my powered armor, go the gently caress away please and thank you.

Fallout 4 is great when you mod the HELL out of it, especially if you use Sim Settlements.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Dead Money was awesome and dark as gently caress. Old World Blues is amazing.

All the expansions were great. I'm a sucker for Honest Hearts because I love Joshua Graham and the story of the guy watching over the tribes in Zion is drat good writing.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I loving murdered benny so fast he didnt have time to shoot me

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Venomous posted:

Instead of watching Raw last night I binged the second half of volume 2 of Dear White People and it was wonderful

I had never watched this show but ended up seeing two episodes from volume 2 at a friend's apartment the other day. I'm definitely going to watch all of it next time I get around to binge watching. I don't think I've binge-watched anything since I did it with season one of Fargo back in the fall.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I haven’t been able to play New Vegas properly due to my phobia of giant insects, particularly ants. I blame the queen ant that flew up and scared the poo poo outta me as a kid for that.

Oddly enough, I’m cool with giant spiders. Probably because they eat giant insects.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

i just got the recipe from a chef friend for his restaurants Blue Cheese Creme Brulee and I am stoked to make it :stoked:

im going on a 7 day cruise to Bermuda in June and I am going to get FAT and TAN hell yes my dudes

hows everyone else doing?

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I felt completely exhausted all day yesterday, called out of work today because I literally couldn't get out of bed, and have slept for 18 of the past 24 hours. I think being surrounded by death for the past 3 weeks finally caught up to me.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

CobiWann posted:

All the expansions were great. I'm a sucker for Honest Hearts because I love Joshua Graham and the story of the guy watching over the tribes in Zion is drat good writing.
yeah the joshua graham character and how he was handled was a big part of why i loved that dlc. it manages to have an extremely grounded story where you understand the motivations of everyone involved, but this larger than life character who comes off as genuinely frightening even though he's just a dude with a gun.

also his gun is godlike and, if i recall correctly, is one of the best endgame weapons, so the dlc also gets points for that.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NuclearPotato posted:

I haven’t been able to play New Vegas properly due to my phobia of giant insects, particularly ants. I blame the queen ant that flew up and scared the poo poo outta me as a kid for that.

Oddly enough, I’m cool with giant spiders. Probably because they eat giant insects.

Earth Defense Force is probably not a cherished game in your household.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

New Vegas was very good and I enjoyed it + all expansions, at least until my game started making GBS threads itself due to enormous save files or whatever. Turns out trying to do all of the things when you're on PS3 is not a good idea.

Dead Money felt like an entirely different game, but still a good game. It did a good job of presenting its message (despite maybe beating you over the head with it a little hard), and at the same time like any other TES or New Fallout game, my desire to loot ALL OF THE THINGS made it fun to run out with as much loot as possible, basically flipping the bird at the message.

I really liked the writing in Honest Hearts but I didn't love the gameplay/setting that much. Joshua Graham goes a long way towards making that a good expansion, along with the survivalist journals. It also starts the trend of people mentioning Ulysses.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'll def check out New Vegas when it gets the inevitable PS4 remaster.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Pulled some muscles in my neck and shoulder, and it's pressing on the nerve so I am getting periodic stingers. It hurts like hell, I have no idea how folks can wrestle with much worse injuries

cams
Mar 28, 2003

dromal phrenia posted:

Dead Money felt like an entirely different game, but still a good game. It did a good job of presenting its message (despite maybe beating you over the head with it a little hard), and at the same time like any other TES or New Fallout game, my desire to loot ALL OF THE THINGS made it fun to run out with as much loot as possible, basically flipping the bird at the message.
i remember figuring out at least two different ways to get out with (spoiler for 8 year old dlc) all of the gold in the vault

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Fallout 4 was great, but also disappointing. It lacked the roleplaying and strong characterization of the other games, yet I still spent 100 hours on it.

Question about New Vegas: Was there a quest line that led to you killing Caesar? I found his camp while exploring once and kinda slaughtered the lot of them, starting with him. Always wondered if there was an official plot line to lead you to that point.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

coconono posted:

I'll def check out New Vegas when it gets the inevitable PS4 remaster.

it probably won't be re-released just fyi. grab it for the 360 if you can, the ps3 version suffers from the usual ps3/bethesda game jank and runs like poo poo

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Takuan posted:

Question about New Vegas: Was there a quest line that led to you killing Caesar? I found his camp while exploring once and kinda slaughtered the lot of them, starting with him. Always wondered if there was an official plot line to lead you to that point.

There's a part of the main quest that basically sends you to meet the leaders of the factions and you can kill him if you want (i do)

the best part of fallout 4 is completely ignoring the dumb plot and base-building busywork and wandering the commonwealth

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Joey McChrist posted:

it probably won't be re-released just fyi. grab it for the 360 if you can, the ps3 version suffers from the usual ps3/bethesda game jank and runs like poo poo

I think you meant to say PC.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

dromal phrenia posted:

i just got the recipe from a chef friend for his restaurants Blue Cheese Creme Brulee and I am stoked to make it :stoked:

Is this like a sweet thing or a savory thing?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Defiance Industries posted:

I think you meant to say PC.

yeah im currently doing my favorite fallout related activity; shopping for mods on the nexus site.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

gently caress yes I want to live in an underwater hideout with an individual hook for every weapon in the game and decorations that record my quest completions.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

coconono posted:

Earth Defense Force is probably not a cherished game in your household.

Sadly no, because it sounds amazing otherwise.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

new vegas is an all-time classic and im real mad we’ll never get an obsidian-devved elder scrolls game

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Obsidian should hold a coup on Bethesda and steal all their janky rpg engines and intellectual properties because they actually know how to loving write a good game

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

what was that spy game they did? i remember it being good but everyone gave it poo poo for being buggy

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The thing I remember most about Fallout New Vegas is that Obsidian apparently got straight hosed out of bonuses for it by 1 metacritic point.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

what was that spy game they did? i remember it being good but everyone gave it poo poo for being buggy

alpha protocol, game owned

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Obsidian should hold a coup on Bethesda and steal all their janky rpg engines and intellectual properties because they actually know how to loving write a good game

To be fair, Bethesda also knows how to actually run a gaming company and Obsidian does not

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

CarlCX posted:

To be fair, Bethesda also knows how to actually run a gaming company and Obsidian does not

then bethesda should just hire obsidian's writers and just let them run wild on all of their rpgs because every elder scrolls since morrowind has been kinda poo poo and fallout 3 and 4 feel like elder scrolls games instead of fallout games

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
One of the neat things I found later on in life that relates to New Vegas is how in OWB, Boros is talking about how nice and docile the Cazadors are which makes sense because in real life actual Tarantula Hawk Wasps are fairly docile and will even all you to hold them (I wouldn't recommend it though since their sting is the 2nd most painful in the world)

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

then bethesda should just hire obsidian's writers and just let them run wild on all of their rpgs because every elder scrolls since morrowind has been kinda poo poo and fallout 3 and 4 feel like elder scrolls games instead of fallout games

wholly agreed with the former, only sort-of agreed with the latter; I think the new Bethsoft games are poo poo at writing but exceedingly successful at what they're primarily trying to do, which is immersive power and exploration fantasy for people who aren't RPG fans

Bethsoft learned that they'd make way more loving money if they spent all their resources and attention on trying to make progressively more streamlined, progressively less deep games that were bone-easy to get into for people who'd never touched RPGs before, and that's why Skyrim's fifteenth rerelease still makes a billion dollars and Obsidian is running kickstarters for their worthless grognard projects (that I donated to, because I am a worthless grognard), and that's why bethsoft stopped paying the big Kirkbride bucks and settled on Pagliarulo instead

I am hoping the runaway success of their first-ever actual market competition in Witcher 3, and how much of that was writing-based, will get them to consider investing in writing again for TES6 and Fallout 5 when they inevitably happen, and I'm pretty sure rope kid could use a ferrari

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

bethesda doesn't need to hire obsidian's writers. they should hire the great writers who have passed through obsidian and moved onto higher paying jobs because they own. Steal away people like John Gonzalez, George Ziets and maybe even Avellone if you can isolate him from everyone else. And bring back Michael Kirkbride. Let all these people write what they want. Game saved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NuclearPotato posted:

Sadly no, because it sounds amazing otherwise.

in terms of jank budget gameplay it really hits way out of its weight class. In fact, I'm gonna play it right now while I wait for my servers to reboot