Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Lessail posted:

Are the Raptors going to finally start doing what they should have done after they got swept by the Wizards all those years ago?????????

Keep putting up 50 win seasons with a team that's fun to watch for 90% of the year?

(I vote run it back with most of the players. Maybe replace Casey?)

leftist heap posted:

Meyers Leonard is 7 feet tall which counts for at least $4-5 million a year

I was fortunate enough to go to a few Portland home games this year and I could not get over how loving huge Leonard was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

cougar cub posted:

Keep putting up 50 win seasons with a team that's fun to watch for 90% of the year?

(I vote run it back with most of the players. Maybe replace Casey?)

I was fortunate enough to go to a few Portland home games this year and I could not get over how loving huge Leonard was.

yeah maybe next year the team only loses game 4 to lebron by 29 that's progress right

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lessail posted:

yeah maybe next year the team only loses game 4 to lebron by 29 that's progress right

This is why the Raptors need to do whatever it takes for a Kawhi Leonard trade to happen.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Lessail posted:

Sure the last 10 days have sucked but October to April was great.

We have some great young talent but none of them are looking to be a top 10 20 30 player. With the Raps starters contracts it will be next to impossible to get any return value, God Masai Lord Ujuri or not.

That means we'd have to bottom out for years trying to get draft picks. Dibs out.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Welcome to the Toronto Raptors.

During the fourth I went to see Tale of the Four Crowns and it made about as much sense as the Raptor's collapse.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Spacebump posted:

This is why the Raptors need to do whatever it takes for a Kawhi Leonard trade to happen.

how many games until pop chokes out derozan live on tv

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Rick posted:

Welcome to the Toronto Raptors.

During the fourth I went to see Tale of the Four Crowns and it made about as much sense as the Raptor's collapse.

It was an archetypal story that calmly and without resistance headed towards the same conclusion all such stories land?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

i would run it back with a different coach and try to move Ibaka if possible (i doubt it). I hate watching a rebuilding team but even if they wanted to i doubt they could even move all these contracts for good assets at this point.

It's tricky. The team was obviously talented enough to win many many games. Not that they should beat Lebron, but it should correspond to a more competitive series. I guess what it comes down to is that it's very very difficult to win a playoff series when your best player is not a top 20, let alone top 10, player in the NBA. So, do you continue dummying regular seasons and winning 50 or do you just accept that this is your ceiling and move on? Long term it seems the obvious answer is to move on and keep on searching for that top 10 player. But what makes it harder is seeing teams who have either failed to do this after many years of trying, as well as seeing teams with top 10 players go just as far or worse so IDK.

BWV fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 8, 2018

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/gwiss/status/993566016767639552?s=19

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

That cannot be true.

It is true. I felt like Westphal coached that team for years but I guess that's just how Sacramento Kings-time works.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
A good summary of why the Raptors lost that is more than just "lol": https://www.actionnetwork.com/nba/article/moore-ways-screwed-picking-lebron-cavs

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Hand Knit posted:

It was an archetypal story that calmly and without resistance headed towards the same conclusion all such stories land?

hahah, I guess I just think the Raptors should have theoretically been better but I guess it's going against history to think that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kibner posted:

A good summary of why the Raptors lost that is more than just "lol": https://www.actionnetwork.com/nba/article/moore-ways-screwed-picking-lebron-cavs

This is good.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/993896042616840192?s=19

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

I didn't think highly of him when he was a Hornican assistant coach, so good luck, CHA!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Kibner posted:

I didn't think highly of him when he was a Hornican assistant coach, so good luck, CHA!

Any particular reason?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

morestuff posted:

Any particular reason?

Nothing substantial. The interviews he gave before/during/after games did not strike me as head coach material. And the things he was responsible for (that I honestly don't remember as it's been years), the team wasn't appreciably better at when he got there or worse at when he left.

IIRC, he had stepped up to fill Mike Malone's role when he left and was no where near as good at it.

e: I just remember Borrego taking over lead assistant duties being the first sign that the NOLA front office wasn't putting the supporting staff around Monty that he and the team needed.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 8, 2018

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Hornets are (I hope) detonating things this offseason so even if he sucks he's probably just minding the store for a few years while Monk takes 34 shots per game

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
So which teams are going to be the salary sinks this offseason? Asking for a friend in the PNW

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

leftist heap posted:

So which teams are going to be the salary sinks this offseason? Asking for a friend in the PNW

Not many!
https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/

Lakers will have lots of salary room
Bulls will, but LaVine will probably slurp up a chunk
Mavericks and Hawks definitely will
Philly could have a max open depending on what they do with JJ
PHX will have a little, but if they resign Len and Elfrid maybe not much (lol)
Kings will definitely and might have a lot if some of the Player Options don't get picked up
Nets will have some cap space

That's about it for significant space unless some surprising moves or no-signs happen. So 8 teams potentially but probably more like 5-6 if teams make the regular boring, expected moves.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I 100% guarantee the Suns won't offer a contract to Len or Elfrid

Len actually looked good this year. I'll bet he'll be a pretty decent pickup for whatever team if he has an established role.

Space Camp fuckup fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 8, 2018

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Len actually looked good this year. I'll bet he'll be a pretty decent pickup for whatever team if he has an established role.

I feel like one or the other will probably get an offer, it just might be something more like a 2 year deal with the 2nd year being a team option or something. Len could have more interest in the open market than I am expecting though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

Not many!
https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/

Lakers will have lots of salary room
Bulls will, but LaVine will probably slurp up a chunk
Mavericks and Hawks definitely will
Philly could have a max open depending on what they do with JJ
PHX will have a little, but if they resign Len and Elfrid maybe not much (lol)
Kings will definitely and might have a lot if some of the Player Options don't get picked up
Nets will have some cap space

That's about it for significant space unless some surprising moves or no-signs happen. So 8 teams potentially but probably more like 5-6 if teams make the regular boring, expected moves.

I don't think they can get to a max but Utah is going to have a decent bit of cap space if they don't bring back Favors. They only have 5 or 6 guys under contract for next year right now

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 8, 2018

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Space Camp fuckup posted:

As a common desperation Len fantasy owner over the last 2.5 years I disagree. Maybe he could have developed with better players and general franchise situation, but we're here now. His ceiling is okay backup on an okay team.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The Suns bad center arrangement where instead of coming up with a rotation based on who was playing well, they just rotated which centers were activated that day certainly didn't help his contract value.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
What should the minnesota timberwolves do? they have talent and assumedly would piss jimmy butt off if they traded someone for picks. He might have to be the one to go. Their core guys need to get better and Wiggins looks like a much better player with the ball in his hands.

Since the coach is the GM, I don't know how much faith I have in them drafting anyone.

Shooting, need shooting, need off balll movement and less hybrid triangle mismatch basketball, at least against playoff caliber teams. A guy who sets screens and makes threes. That's right, trading up for Jaren Jackson Junior.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
As has been mentioned ad nauseum their problem is not the very good offense

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I hope some contender or fringe contender trades for Marvin Williams, he can switch, guard threes and fours, is a consistent 40% from three these days and is apparently great in the locker room. A touch overpaid but he deserves to be on a non-poo poo team

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

I hope some contender or fringe contender trades for Marvin Williams, he can switch, guard threes and fours, is a consistent 40% from three these days and is apparently great in the locker room. A touch overpaid but he deserves to be on a non-poo poo team

I dunno that I want to sacrifice 2019 cap flexibility for him but man I'd love Marvin back in Utah now that they have a real coach rather than Ty Corbin

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

I don't think they can get to a max but Utah is going to have a decent bit of cap space if they don't bring back Favors. They only have 5 or 6 guys under contract for next year right now

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/UTA.html

They have 11 guaranteed contracts and will have about 11 million in cap space not counting Favors and Exum (is this is correct, but other sites have the same numbers). I sorta think they will probably extend one/both of them since they'll probably get more value out of them then they would with a 10/mil yr contract. Again, maybe contracts that are a little higher in yearly value but shorter length.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

What should the minnesota timberwolves do? they have talent and assumedly would piss jimmy butt off if they traded someone for picks. He might have to be the one to go. Their core guys need to get better and Wiggins looks like a much better player with the ball in his hands.

Since the coach is the GM, I don't know how much faith I have in them drafting anyone.

Shooting, need shooting, need off balll movement and less hybrid triangle mismatch basketball, at least against playoff caliber teams. A guy who sets screens and makes threes. That's right, trading up for Jaren Jackson Junior.

They have a top 5 offense. You try to sign some bench guys (their bench went from adequate to bad as the year went on) and you hope your defense gets better by more playing time and maturation from Towns, which is pretty reasonable.

Without some magic help this team probably has ceiling below contender, but that's true of a lot eventual contenders. Maybe a draft pick explodes, or a ridiculous trade comes your way, or whatever. But a tear down isn't needed.

And GM Thibs made the Butler trade, made a great signing in Taj so I am not sure why there is so much pessimism. Timberwolves had one of the better offseasons last year in the league.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/UTA.html

They have 11 guaranteed contracts and will have about 11 million in cap space not counting Favors and Exum (is this is correct, but other sites have the same numbers). I sorta think they will probably extend one/both of them since they'll probably get more value out of them then they would with a 10/mil yr contract. Again, maybe contracts that are a little higher in yearly value but shorter length.

Thabo, Udoh, Jerrebko, and O'Neale are all unguranteed though they'll probably bring O'Neale back. I don't think they're gonna work very hard to keep Favors because there are only a handful of teams he can play with Gobert for extended minutes against (sup OKC). It'll depend on the market but they haven't been shy about wanting someone stretchier there. Exum maybe but he's such a health risk I dunno.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

Thabo, Udoh, Jerrebko, and O'Neale are all unguranteed though they'll probably bring O'Neale back. I don't think they're gonna work very hard to keep Favors because there are only a handful of teams he can play with Gobert for extended minutes against (sup OKC). It'll depend on the market but they haven't been shy about wanting someone stretchier there. Exum maybe but he's such a health risk I dunno.

Oh you're right, that's like $20 mil then. That does change things. 20 Mil doesn't get you what it used to, but it could be Aaron Gordon money if they want to go stretchier? I dunno, they'll have options.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

Oh you're right, that's like $20 mil then. That does change things. 20 Mil doesn't get you what it used to, but it could be Aaron Gordon money if they want to go stretchier? I dunno, they'll have options.

It doesn't but there are so few teams with any space right now it might give them room to potentially do something.

I've seen people throw out Gordon or Randle as options, and there is perpetually talk of trying to get Jabari because he's Mormon which ugh

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I totally forgot Jabari was Mormon. That is kind of intriguing if he gives an injury/One True Christian Religion discount. It might be the kind of gamble Utah needs to get themselves up a notch.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Jabari Parker to the Celtics confirmed

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

What a way to go out, super excited for the offseason

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Welcome Utah Jazz.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Im making my resolution for the next NBA season to not fall in love with the regular season raptors unless they start the season with a top player by signing or trading for a Kawhi or PG13 or Boogie etc etc.

Or Bron as the ultimate gently caress the league troll job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

patonthebach posted:

Im making my resolution for the next NBA season to not fall in love with the regular season raptors unless they start the season with a top player by signing or trading for a Kawhi or PG13 or Boogie etc etc.

Or Bron as the ultimate gently caress the league troll job.

Love easy, get attached, the NBA is more fun that way

• Locked thread