Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sean Kanan (Mike Barnes) has expressed an interest in being a part of the show. Now if they can lure Thomas Ian Griffith in I don't know how they could top that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

zeal posted:

what all happened in kk3 that was so wild

Oh god, just go watch KK3. The only way it could have been more 'over-the-top 80s action movie cliche' would have been to have Terry Silver a) named Looten Plunder and b) have a scene with him literally dumping a barrel of toxic waste into the local swimming hole.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Terry Silver owning a toxic waste business is the most late 80’s/early 90’s thing ever. I love it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I totally forgot about KK3. Still doesn't explain why Danny is just taking it out on Johnny the whole time and holding him singularly responsible for everything Cobra Kai did to him. In fact, he barely even mentions the two grown men hiring people to kick his rear end. All he bitches about is getting knocked off his bike and getting jumped after he dumped water on a gang leader.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

I totally forgot about KK3. Still doesn't explain why Danny is just taking it out on Johnny the whole time and holding him singularly responsible for everything Cobra Kai did to him. In fact, he barely even mentions the two grown men hiring people to kick his rear end. All he bitches about is getting knocked off his bike and getting jumped after he dumped water on a gang leader.

Diagetic answer: Well, in Daniel's mind, it all started with Johnny and Kreese. As far as Daniel knows, it's Kreese that put Silver and Barnes up to things. And in Daniel's mind, Johnny bringing back Cobra Kai just means that he's the personification of both KK1 and KK3.

The real answer, of course, is that you can take Johnny and Daniel's relationship, and turn it into complexed, nuanced reality. You might be able to do it with Chozen; have him roll up in America, forty years later, a failure after everybody saw what a useless bitch he was back in Okinawa.

Silver and Barnes were straight-up Saturday morning cartoon villians, and can't really be explored. I mean, you can understand why, say, Johnny wouldn't have tracked Daniel down after the tournament and beat the poo poo out of him. Barnes absolutely would have.

So, Cobra Kai is a direct sequel to KK1, with some throwaway lines to indicate that KK2 and KK3 did happen canonically, but aren't terribly relevant.

Also, Chozen probably went to jail. Who cares about what happened to Barnes; he was just there to get paid, and really didn't have any connection to Daniel other than that. Silver, presumably, got sent to jail on unrelated business a year or two later, so wasn't around to continue loving with Daniel, and Kreese just faded into the woodwork.

Johnny, on the other hand, can have an interesting story in his own right.

The real question is: would any of Cobra Kai ever happened without How I Met Your Mother?

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 8, 2018

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

They should bring in Dutch in S2 instead of Mike Barnes

Dutch rules

Hexel fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 8, 2018

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Also just rewatched Karate Kid, and it's awesome at how well this show understands the characters. Daniel was always a piece of poo poo, Johnny was always a dumb easily led character, and they are both just *so close* to being good guys but are missing the pieces to realize how. The show just really gets it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Also, can we get Walton Goggins in this show?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darko posted:

Also, can we get Walton Goggins in this show?

i dunno if i'd rather see him play an overly officious tournament board member or the sensei to that hippie fighter with the terrible karate-mom

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

zeal posted:

i dunno if i'd rather see him play an overly officious tournament board member or the sensei to that hippie fighter with the terrible karate-mom

Hippie fighter's sensei should be played by Harry Groener.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

teagone posted:

[edit 2] Also, Jonny explaining what happened between him and Daniel back in the day to Miguel totally reminded me of this great/hilarious video essay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Gz_iTuRMM

Daniel Son and Mr. Myagi were the real villains.

Also the medic scene at the tournament was a hilarious shout out to the original.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

etalian posted:

Daniel-san and Mr. Miyagi were the real villains.

Also the medic scene at the tournament was a hilarious shout out to the original.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hexel posted:

They should bring in Dutch in S2 instead of Mike Barnes

Dutch rules

I have, no joke, done Dutch's head wiggly to loosen my neck before a fight. I felt awesome doing it, but I have no delusion about how very very stupid looking it was.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Please tell me there's a character bible somewhere for all the Cobra Kai kids from the first movie.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Of course Daniel-san would go around being a rear end in a top hat and randomly starting fighting people.

He was from north jersey after all...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Please tell me there's a character bible somewhere for all the Cobra Kai kids from the first movie.

There's like a 6 page dissertation on the life and history of Terry Silver. Dutch better have at least a page of made up crap about his life after KK.

edit:
He doesn't! :mad:

But here, have Terry Silver's:
http://thekaratekid.wikia.com/wiki/Terry_Silver

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 9, 2018

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

I have, no joke, done Dutch's head wiggly to loosen my neck before a fight. I felt awesome doing it, but I have no delusion about how very very stupid looking it was.

Today i learned that Dutch is Steve McQueen's kid

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They got them all back the last time, I'd love to see where they all are in the CK world.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong

Jose Oquendo posted:

Terry Silver owning a toxic waste business is the most late 80’s/early 90’s thing ever. I love it.

How dare you treat Dynatox Industries with such disrespect.

As far as Cobra Kai season 2 conjecture:

What business does Mike Barnes have showing back up? He was just a hired gun with no real emotional investment in hating Daniel. Daniel never moved in on Mike Barnes' girl. However, Kreese and Terry Silver have a long history. Don't forget Terry Silver put up the cash to resurrect the tooooouuuurnament, and his primary goal was for Cobra Kai to take over the valley.

Although the committee does apparently have a lot of glossy black and white 8 x 10 photos documenting the fiasco that was the "Terry Silver Era" of the All Valley Under 18 Karate Tournament, so who knows.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The best use of Barns would be as another methed out homeless person.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Barnes marries Johnny's ex!

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Rhyno posted:

The best use of Barns would be as another methed out homeless person.

Storyline-wise, he has no business in the valley. He was literally a hired gun that, as was mentioned earlier, two adults paid cash to fly in from whatever parts unknown the bad boy of karate calls home, to beat up a kid.

One of the best lines in the show: "Whatever" when the clerk decides to sell alcohol to Hawk after checking his fake ID

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Hexel posted:

Today i learned that Dutch is Steve McQueen's kid

I believe Dutch was the only original KK cast member who was asked to but declined an appearance in the No More Kings music video.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Croatoan posted:

I liked how they had a giant framed picture of Daniel doing the crane kick at the arena which is obviously just some random gym/auditorium they probably rent for the annual event so one would assume that someone has to keep said giant framed poster in their house or garage for 354 days a year. Oh that and the framed portrait of Kreese on a wall.

They literally show the guy installing the very temporary and compact vinyl banners as they unroll while he hangs them up during the Queen montage at the start of the episode.

But someone definitely is returning their framed Kreese photo to the attic shrine for the remaining 364 days of the year.

Cobra Kai Tip: You can tell the goods from the bads by how they pronounce the word "Tournament"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Merlot Brougham posted:

I believe Dutch was the only original KK cast member who was asked to but declined an appearance in the No More Kings music video.

Wait what is this video you speak of?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Wait what is this video you speak of?

I've posted it in the thread already but here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olQ3vaiv47I&t=3s

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Rhyno posted:

I've posted it in the thread already but here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olQ3vaiv47I&t=3s

Any excuse to post another link to that is fine by me.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Wren610 posted:

Me and my best friend lost it at Johnny's comment during the moment of silence during the tournament.

Also one of the best lines of the show.

Edit: Moral of the story is, Cobra Kai is everything Ready Player One wishes it could be for the Oregon Trail Generation demographic.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That is one of the worst songs I've ever heard. And I've heard the Subway Five Dollar Footlong song.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Solice Kirsk posted:

That is one of the worst songs I've ever heard. And I've heard the Subway Five Dollar Footlong song.

The song is terrible. The video is the impressive part and how they got all those people together to make it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I rewatched KK after this and Daniel is definitely a piece of poo poo little crybaby

Cobra Kai forever!

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Solice Kirsk posted:

This coming from the guy who liked Bad Boys 2...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't think I've ever seen Bad Boys 2....

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Rhyno posted:

The song is terrible. The video is the impressive part and how they got all those people together to make it.

I dont mind the song. That said, the impressive part is No More Kings wanted Zabka to do a cameo and jump around on stage while they played the song, which he refused to be a part of and convinced the band that he needed to create the music video himself and bring the whole "band" (Cobra Kai) back together under his writing and direction.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't think I've ever seen Bad Boys 2....

Exactly.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

So, uh, does Johnny love Iron Eagle because Reggie reminds him so much of his Cobra Kai teammate?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
ahaha never heard this before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMsLvLshZBQ

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Show is much better than I expected, we binge watched on Nitecrew tv

I hope season 2 is about Miyagi school and Cobra Kai having to team up to stay relevant in a world of juiced up MMA bros

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Alan Smithee posted:

Show is much better than I expected

Yep. It's fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

This clip is much better when under the influence of some righteous ging.

• Locked thread