Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

You posted this because Gamera is a leftist and has no time for liberals, right? Because that's canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

You posted this because Gamera is a leftist and has no time for liberals, right? Because that's canon.
Being the friend of all children, Gamera actually abhors political violence aimed at the destruction of any particular class of child.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Gamera crush Tokyo to dust!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

lol I love that every scene having blue lighting is causing crazy theories that the protomolecule is literally everywhere

This is seriously my only beef with the show's look. I love blue LEDs too guys but there have got to be other colours in the future

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Google Butt posted:

your mom's protomolecule

e: oops thought this was the spoiler thread

v you prob want to edit that quote

bloom fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 9, 2018

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

spoilers

edit: sarcasm, figured it wasn't obvious

spiderbyte fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 11, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

:doh:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

spiderbyte posted:

spoilers

Might want to edit out that quote before more people wake up and see it. You know how tviv is with these things.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
lol

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Y'all just like being loving assholes, huh?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Goons are brokebrain idiots, news at 11

Static!
Jul 17, 2007

Hold on, I'm watching this...

spiderbyte posted:

spoilers

How about we edit that quote, champ?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
How many peeps was the nauvoo supposed to carry? For generations at that?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I don't think they ever said on screen, but I figure they must be taking off with at least 10k people

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
IIRC it has life support capacity for about a thousand in the books, but the population of Eros changed by a factor of ten when it made its way to the screen, so make of that what you will.

I think that was also without the artificial ecosphere being fully operational.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Milo and POTUS posted:

How many peeps was the nauvoo supposed to carry? For generations at that?

"Thousands" is as specific as it got. It's two kilometers long and half a kilometer wide. The interior is open, it's an O'Neill cylinder if that wasn't obvious.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I'm doing the looney tunes thing where im slapping my puckered lips with my index finger because clearly i dont know what you're talking about.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Highly technical Nauvoo diagram.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, it's a generation ship headed for... uh... I forget if they ever specify. Mormon World I guess. Gonna be coasting between the stars a long rear end time.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

I hate to admit it but these new virgin vs chad memes are going over my head.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, it's a generation ship headed for... uh... I forget if they ever specify. Mormon World I guess. Gonna be coasting between the stars a long rear end time.

Alpha Centauri I wanna say, not that it really matters, as cool as it would be to see that thing crash land into a million bits.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Grand Fromage posted:

Tau Ceti, 12 light years distant says the internet, dunno if that's book or show

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

Alpha Centauri I wanna say, not that it really matters, as cool as it would be to see that thing crash land into a million bits.

I don't think a binary* system would be benign to our kind of life.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

Tau Ceti, 12 light years distant says the internet, dunno if that's book or show

Ah yeah, I wanted to say Tau Ceti but then wasn't sure if I was thinking of Aurora.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Grand Fromage posted:

Alpha Centauri, I think.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Tau Ceti is the nearest single G class star, smaller but spectrally similar to Sol, and has 4 observed planets with 2 possibly in the goldilocks zone

Collateral posted:

Triple. Alpha Centauri is a binary orbited by a red dwarf.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 9, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If Epstein’s totally unoptimised yacht can hit 0.05 c, purpose‐built probes ought to be able to do flybys of nearby star systems and return data within a human lifetime.

It would be exceedingly arrogant to launch a generation ship out without reconnoitring the destination.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Tau Ceti is the nearest single G class star, smaller but spectrally similar to Sol, and has 4 observed planets with 2 possibly in the goldilocks zone

Triple. Alpha Centauri is a binary orbited by a red dwarf.

I know, but a red dwarf at 13k AU is not going to have much of an effect on the goldilocks zone.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Collateral posted:

I know, but a red dwarf at 13k AU is not going to have much of an effect on the goldilocks zone.

If I did the arithmetic right, from the habitable zone around Alpha Centauri AB, Proxima Centauri would have an apparent magnitude of 1.74.

That’s similar to Alnitak, the left star in Orion’s belt.

Our sky has thirty‐one stars brighter.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 9, 2018

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Platystemon posted:

If Epstein’s totally unoptimised yacht can hit 0.05 c, purpose‐built probes ought to be able to do flybys of nearby star systems and return data within a human lifetime.

It would be exceedingly arrogant to launch a generation ship out without reconnoitring the destination.

Sounds like someone doesn't have sufficient trust in the LORD to me.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Platystemon posted:

a bit confused about this system - surely in order to keep G-forces to a level where your crops and human organs don't poo poo the bed, while also ensuring the boat arrives within the lifespan of the station/ship, it would have to do long, continuous burns. How does this long period of forward thrust interact with the centrifugal force of the spinning habitat?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

double nine posted:

a bit confused about this system - surely in order to keep G-forces to a level where your crops and human organs don't poo poo the bed, while also ensuring the boat arrives within the lifespan of the station/ship, it would have to do long, continuous burns. How does this long period of forward thrust interact with the centrifugal force of the spinning habitat?

A continuous, very low acceleration shouldn't be a huge problem. There'd be a gentle pressure toward the butt of the ship but the spin gravity would be far higher and dominant. And if you're doing interstellar travel, continuous and low acceleration would be the way to go.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Epstein drive makes propellant requirements trivial for constant acceleration within the Solar System, but not over interstellar distances.

Nauvoo would be truly “on the float” for decades.

At 1 g, you’d hit 5% of light speed in less than three weeks.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 9, 2018

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah, basically your options would either be a relatively quick acceleration and long coast, or a very very low acceleration the entire way. Since we don't actually know how the Epstein drive works other than "very well, thank you" there's no way to say which would be the preferred way. Either is reasonable depending on what you're working with.

Edit: IIRC the closest thing to a range we get is mentioning the Rocinante can cross the entire solar system twice at constant 1g acceleration before they need to think about refueling. Presumably entire solar system means Neptune orbit and not the Oort Cloud, so that's a fairly small ship that can manage 1g for well under 1% of a light year's distance.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 9, 2018

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Collateral posted:

also all the mindworms

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

also all the mindworms

Ahem, that's Alpha Ceti. Completely different system. :colbert:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

The Epstein drive makes propellant requirements trivial for constant acceleration within the Solar System, but not over interstellar distances.

Nauvoo would be truly “on the float” for decades.

At 1 g, you’d hit 5% of light speed in less than three weeks.

Yeah, that thing is supposed to be a generations ship, like the kids born on it would live and die in it, and then their kids would end up being the ones to set foot on the planet. Weird!

But now it gets to be a giant battleship. Rad!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know about the show, but in general, an interstellar ship would accelerate at 1G or around there until the halfway point. Then it would turn around and then decelerate at 1G.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Grand Fromage posted:

Sounds like someone doesn't have sufficient trust in the LORD to me.
That was actually the plot point.

Shouldn't be surprising, considering there's people that refuse to wear a seat belt because of Lord Almighty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

They just gonna glue cannons onto that thing or what?