Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

That was one of the things I have to give Gearbox props for. Before the remaster released they straight up said “We can’t use the Yes song in the game because it’s tied up by three different copyright holders even though Yes themselves said we could use it... But it’s easy to mod the song back into the game if you want to *wink wink*”.

Unfortunately it doesn’t work nearly as well because of the additional credits length. Unless there’s a mod that changes or speeds that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

Unfortunately it doesn’t work nearly as well because of the additional credits length. Unless there’s a mod that changes or speeds that up.

There was a mod that does it, yes. The version that’s on the Steam Workshop fits perfectly with both the old and new credits. Plus the song is like 9 minutes long to begin with, so there’s lot of room to play around with stuff and make it all fit.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

khwarezm posted:

If this is sincere Trey the explainer is pretty interesting, though he hasn't done a huge amount on dinosaurs specifically as of late:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaT-q3feI9s

this is really cool

guy sounds like he's talking from inside a locker though

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

a medical mystery posted:

Incompetence makes sense there, though? How else do you describe using a rendering approach that cause issues with gameplay implications out of ignorance and/or inexperience? That's a lack of competency in an area, hence incompetence. It doesn't make Subnautica garbage just like all of the issues with i.e. Dark Souls' PC port doesn't make that game garbage.

Are there game-breaking issues I don't know about? That's the kind of thing that I associate with incompetence. Using an inefficient shader says to me that the devs are inexperienced with the issues that arise from it, not that they have no idea what they're doing.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh poo poo, a new Plinketto and a new special guest :supaburn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JcNT6jYGwI

Also, semi related but if for some reason you don't follow Len, he's doing an indiegogo thing and looks like there's some special guests slated for his next film too:

https://twitter.com/killerwolffilms/status/992231548719108096

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

There was a mod that does it, yes. The version that’s on the Steam Workshop fits perfectly with both the old and new credits. Plus the song is like 9 minutes long to begin with, so there’s lot of room to play around with stuff and make it all fit.

God bless prog bands and their long songs.

("Homeworld: The Ladder" actually does freaking rock though, game or no game. The best song that Yes made since the "Drama" album...which isn't actually saying much on paper because 90% of post-Drama Yes is TERRIBLE but still)

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

TheMaestroso posted:

Are there game-breaking issues I don't know about? That's the kind of thing that I associate with incompetence. Using an inefficient shader says to me that the devs are inexperienced with the issues that arise from it, not that they have no idea what they're doing.

Yeah, a "we made a decision early on that turned out to be not optimal and we can't easily back out of it" isn't "incompetence" as much as "the story of any large software project", more so when you've got a team having to work independently and under a time restriction.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh poo poo, a new Plinketto and a new special guest :supaburn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JcNT6jYGwI

Also, semi related but if for some reason you don't follow Len, he's doing an indiegogo thing and looks like there's some special guests slated for his next film too:

https://twitter.com/killerwolffilms/status/992231548719108096

It's appropriately/endearingly incompetent that he left in the template text as part of his pitch:

quote:

The Impact
Feel free to explain more about your campaign and let people know the difference their contribution will make:

Explain why your project is valuable to the contributor and to the world.
Point out your successful track record with projects like this (if you have one).
Make it real for people and build trust.
Risks & Challenges
People value your transparency. Be open and stand out by providing insight into the risks and obstacles you may face on the way to achieving your goal.

Share what qualifies you to overcome these hurdles.
Describe your plan for solving these challenges.
Other Ways You Can Help
Some people just can't contribute, but that doesn't mean they can't help:

Ask folks to get the word out and make some noise about your campaign.
Remind them to use the Indiegogo share tools!
And that's all there is to it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You know, it's a huge missed opportunity that now that John Carpenter is making music no one has contacted him to do video game music. Especially since he apparently loves video games.

Kim Justice posted:

God bless prog bands and their long songs.

("Homeworld: The Ladder" actually does freaking rock though, game or no game. The best song that Yes made since the "Drama" album...which isn't actually saying much on paper because 90% of post-Drama Yes is TERRIBLE but still)

I will defend 90125 and Big Generator. :colbert:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

TheMaestroso posted:

lmao it isn't an 'inefficient shader'. these are solid objects that do not render in and then suddenly pop into existence, often without enough time to react and sometimes popping in literally inside your ship and destroying it. this is an especially big issue in the mushroom forest and jellyshroom caves. and yeah, i'd call losing your seamoth because an object finally decided to render while you were unknowingly inside where its collision box is when it's properly rendered to be pretty game breaking, let alone other bugs like you randomly phasing through the cyclops (happened to me three times on my playthrough), animals going through barriers and swimming in open air caves underwater, etc. i mean poo poo sometimes the ground doesn't render in properly and then you end up stuck under the map, that's pretty awesome too.

and again their excuse was that they could not fix any of this without access to the unity source code. that is the fuckin weakest, most blame-shifting excuse they could have come up with. crying that unity wouldn't give them the source code completely erased any sympathy i could have had for their poo poo coding decisions.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

MonsieurChoc posted:

You know, it's a huge missed opportunity that now that John Carpenter is making music no one has contacted him to do video game music. Especially since he apparently loves video games.

Carpenter actually did music for a game called Sentinel Returns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I7p1ANu_j8

Edit: On the other hand, video games might be why the quality of Carpenter's films dropped off in 90s and onwards:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Will you defend Tales from Topographic Oceans?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 8, 2018

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

In the Mouth of Madness is a masterpiece. Rotten Tomatoes is wrong.

Also his opinions on sonic are correct. Sonic Forces was the greatest work of comedy of our time.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
While I was playing, a seamoth I built must have glitched through the seabed outside of the game world and there was no way for me to access it all or even see it. It even still had the vehicle marker so there was a little indication of the place it was meant to be for the rest of the game, with no way for me to retrieve it.

The game's really borked in so many ways.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

In the Mouth of Madness is a masterpiece. Rotten Tomatoes is wrong.

Also his opinions on sonic are correct. Sonic Forces was the greatest work of comedy of our time.

I was thinking more along the lines of Vampires or Escape from LA, rather than Mouth of Madness or Memoris of an Invisible Man.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hey, I'll acceept 90125 as part of the 10%, it's a perfectly ok pop album. I'm not one of those Yes fans who hate it to hell. "Owner of a Lonely Heart" is an ACE pop song.

Big Generator...eeeehhh. I DO like "Love Will Find A Way" but that's kind of it.

It's probably worth saying that Yes did pop better than like, most every other prog band who tried with the exception of Genesis. Again that's not saying much at all and is mostly down to having '80s godking producer Trevor Horn on the team, but it still counts.

Max Wilco posted:

My bandmate's favourite Yes album. No, I don't understand it either. Only one of the four 20-minute songs is even approaching good. Rick Wakeman had it right when he had his copy of the album melted down into an ashtray.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Max Wilco posted:

no.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

LGR tries out an NES controller to PC keyboard adapter that turns out to be really good! He gets to play Duke Nukem 3D with an NES controller and it's weird.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

EDIT: Removed

It's cool. The only two Yes album I've heard are 90215 and Big Generator.

I was following the Prog Rock thread for a time, and I vaguely someone saying something along the lines of Tales being the poster child for the worst aspects of prog rock. It's been a while since I read that, though, so I could be mis-remembering. The general impression I got, though, was that it wasn't that good.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 8, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

EDIT: "Quote" is not "Edit"

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

What's the problem there? I always find holding onto grudges for years to be a great way of going through life. And furthermore

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
yup, those are some twitter screenshots.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

we just had like 3 GBS threads about "games journalism" gassed in a row, do you want all those frustrated boys to come stompin in here and start asking questions

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I see literally no reason those twitter spats should be in this thread.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Alaois posted:

we just had like 3 GBS threads about "games journalism" gassed in a row, do you want all those frustrated boys to come stompin in here and start asking questions

Yes, ship them out next to their poo poo threads.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I don't see what those screenshots have to do with internet reviewers, unless some kotaku dude being a dweeb about games gate counts as an internet personality

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

I see literally no reason those twitter spats should be in this thread.

Okay, I'll remove it.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

It's a loving rule for a reason

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMb7-6eg4Zo

Okay, I watched Foldable Human's video on The Book of Henry- and it was great- and took forever to say anything as I am one to do. And I would've totally been down with the movie as he told it in the first half. Kid genius who keeps the family running because his mom's kinda just floating through life- like a reverse Matilda- seems neat, IMO.

Shame about the kill your neighbor because of flimsy justification thrust of the movie though.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

New Defunctland video on Euro Disney: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFE8RlKlLCE

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

By far the most egregious part of Book of Henry is how all Janice needed to do was watch some ballet.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Christina danced a sad dance. Truly this is ironclad evidence of abuse.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Ghostlight posted:

By far the most egregious part of Book of Henry is how all Janice needed to do was watch some ballet. Naomi Watts needs a better agent

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Ugh

Babish's new video about pies is especially great and pays tribute to someone who was taken from us way too soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgloGi5xEa8

In this spirit, go and eat a pie whether you make it yourself or don't, just shove your face in it.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I wasn't liking the look of that quiche but that chocolate pie and the cheesecake looked heavenly.

Man, Waitress was such a good film. RIP Adrienne Shelly :smith:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kim Justice posted:

Ugh

Babish's new video about pies is especially great and pays tribute to someone who was taken from us way too soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgloGi5xEa8

In this spirit, go and eat a pie whether you make it yourself or don't, just shove your face in it.

yea his grilling thing made me kinda roll my eyes with how #ad it was but that was a lovely video for a delicious topic.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Going back to the dinosaur chat from a couple of pages ago there is also PBS Eons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCzR-rom72PHN9Zg7RML9EbA

The hosts aren't quite as adorably dorky as the Your Dinosaurs are Wrong guy but they are still well researched and interesting. I think one of the hosts has something to do with Crash Course so if you like that style of video you might like these.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Your Dinosaurs Are Wrong has sparked a bit of a nostalgia interest in me for my old Dinosaur documentary collection. The BBC Walking With: series still holds up extremely well visually, even if its information is rather inaccurate nowadays. But I can forgive that for the series actually giving a drat about filming it as a documentary and not as a televised bloodsport with bad CGI dinosaurs. The CGI is integrated incredibly well for a TV budget, and when you consider that the original Walking With Dinosaurs came out in 1999, it's amazing how much better it still looks than any dinosaur show today.

Having Kenneth Brannagh narrate also helps.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Your Dinosaurs Are Wrong has sparked a bit of a nostalgia interest in me for my old Dinosaur documentary collection. The BBC Walking With: series still holds up extremely well visually, even if its information is rather inaccurate nowadays. But I can forgive that for the series actually giving a drat about filming it as a documentary and not as a televised bloodsport with bad CGI dinosaurs. The CGI is integrated incredibly well for a TV budget, and when you consider that the original Walking With Dinosaurs came out in 1999, it's amazing how much better it still looks than any dinosaur show today.

Having Kenneth Brannagh narrate also helps.

there is a rad 4-part pbs documentary from the early 90's called the dinosaurs! that may be relevant to your interests. my dad recorded it on vhs and i watched it so much as a kid that i wore the tapes out. i love documentaries like this that are outdated in some of the info they include since i love seeing scientific understanding advance through time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5cXQj80PxM

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

RareAcumen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMb7-6eg4Zo

Okay, I watched Foldable Human's video on The Book of Henry- and it was great- and took forever to say anything as I am one to do. And I would've totally been down with the movie as he told it in the first half. Kid genius who keeps the family running because his mom's kinda just floating through life- like a reverse Matilda- seems neat, IMO.

Shame about the kill your neighbor because of flimsy justification thrust of the movie though.

even if you ignore the neighbour killing plot, the politics of the first half, the way the mother is depicted and the way henry behaves is fairly misogynistic, someone mentioned that the writer of book of henry is best friends with jordan peterson and I gotta tell ya, everything locked into place for me after hearing that

stop playing video games, janice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Wrageowrapper posted:

Going back to the dinosaur chat from a couple of pages ago there is also PBS Eons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCzR-rom72PHN9Zg7RML9EbA

The hosts aren't quite as adorably dorky as the Your Dinosaurs are Wrong guy but they are still well researched and interesting. I think one of the hosts has something to do with Crash Course so if you like that style of video you might like these.

Quality programming right here.