Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
there is no spinning iron in a hard drive kthx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

It's spinning glass, thank you :colbert:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It's spinning glass, thank you :colbert:

Aren't most platters made of aluminium?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fame Douglas posted:

Aren't most platters made of aluminium?
glass + ceramic are more common among laptops and enterprise drives but the standard junk 1tb 3.5"s are almost always aluminum yes

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
From hammering a bunch of drives recently, most were aluminum. Seems like older ones were glass though.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
So, I've recently decided that it potentially makes sense to migrate from Sandy Bridge back to my old X58 system (see OC thread if you're curious about the details). Said X58 system doesn't have SATA 3, and while I know that it doesn't really matter the vast majority of the time that made me curious about what would potentially be involved in using an NVMe drive as a boot disk. Considering that I don't even have EFI it looks like the key element in doing this without some kind of dirty hack would be whether a legacy option ROM is present on the SSD in question, and while the 950 Pro has one of these it seems like most drives don't. Has anyone ever seen a list of drives that have these, or even is aware of a model other than the 950 Pro that does?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Are you asking if it's ultimately possible to boot off an MBR formatted 950 PRO in NVMe m.2 from a X58 board?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
From what I can tell reading around it is possible to boot off of a 950 Pro in BIOS boards, because the 950 Pro has a legacy option ROM that allows BIOS to see it as a bootable storage device at all. I'm wondering if anyone knows of other drives in this category, particularly ones which are still produced and available for prices comparable to other NVMe drives. I assume that such drives would be M.2 but I can use a PCIe sled to deal with that, the board has plenty of slots.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Quoting myself from another thread:

SamDabbers posted:

Re: booting from NVMe without BIOS/UEFI support, one workaround would be to put your bootloader on another disk (or USB stick) and boot from that while having your C drive on the NVMe. When installing Windows, create an EFI (System) partition on a disk the system can boot from, and manually create your C partition on the NVMe.

Light reading:
https://superuser.com/questions/665923/move-efi-system-partition-to-another-drive

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I know about that but don't really love the idea of needing a second partition on another drive just to be able to boot up - either I'm going to have to stick a flash drive on an internal header and leave it there forever, or there will be an extra SATA disk that I can't reformat or remove from the computer without having to redo everything. I'll probably just suck it up and use my system disk on a SATA2 port if that's the alternative.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Between putting a bootloader on a second lovely usb + getting the proformabce of 950 versus being pure about not using a second drive and thus restricting myself to a lovely sata2 hba for my system drive...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Eletriarnation posted:

From what I can tell reading around it is possible to boot off of a 950 Pro in BIOS boards, because the 950 Pro has a legacy option ROM that allows BIOS to see it as a bootable storage device at all.

That's the first I've heard of something like that. The only drives I remember that could be used on a 5/6 series chipset without NVMe being baked into the BIOS were PCIe drives which used a cobbled-together ROM which tricked the BIOS into seeing it as a valid, bootable AHCI device. For a while I wanted to see about using a PCIe riser card and moving my boot drive to a 950 Pro, but everything I was told was that it would always be nothing but a really fast data drive, since no riser card incorporated a feature like those hacked-together first-gen solutions did.

I mean, the first-gen Intel PCIe cards didn't have that, and you'd figure if any of them would, it would have been those. Also, on my Z68, I was also told that even if I got it working, I'd be seeing 700-900MB/sec, max.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Potato Salad posted:

Between putting a bootloader on a second lovely usb + getting the proformabce of 950 versus being pure about not using a second drive and thus restricting myself to a lovely sata2 hba for my system drive...

I accept and understand that other informed people might come to a different decision in this situation but I'm not sure what makes the ICH10R "lovely" unless you're calling it that just because it's SATA2; as far as I'm aware it works great.

It might make more sense if you consider that I don't already have a spare PCIe drive so I'd have to buy one anyway, and if I'm going to bother with that instead of using a SATA drive that I do already have then I'd rather have it work without a hitch than needing a hack which might compromise future usability a lot more than SATA2 will.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That's the first I've heard of something like that. The only drives I remember that could be used on a 5/6 series chipset without NVMe being baked into the BIOS were PCIe drives which used a cobbled-together ROM which tricked the BIOS into seeing it as a valid, bootable AHCI device. For a while I wanted to see about using a PCIe riser card and moving my boot drive to a 950 Pro, but everything I was told was that it would always be nothing but a really fast data drive, since no riser card incorporated a feature like those hacked-together first-gen solutions did.

I mean, the first-gen Intel PCIe cards didn't have that, and you'd figure if any of them would, it would have been those. Also, on my Z68, I was also told that even if I got it working, I'd be seeing 700-900MB/sec, max.

I have no direct experience but from what I have read the 950 Pro has such a ROM, thus explaining the difference. Aren't those riser cards passive from a protocol perspective, just like M.2 SATA ->2.5" sleds?

Maybe there's another limitation I don't know about but the basic math of 4 PCIe 2.0 lanes would give me 2GBps. Even if I was limited to 700, it's a lot faster than 300 and while 300 is enough (like I said, I'll just get over it and use SATA2 if that's the answer) I figured once I started thinking about the problem that I might as well see if anyone else had a solution.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 9, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
that is a lot of bullshit instead of buying a new mobo and processor

have at it

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
No, no, I think you misunderstand - the "lot of bullshit" is what I'm trying to avoid, I'm looking for a drive that will just plug in and work.

Let me know when the new motherboard and processor and 16GB DDR4 aren't $500+ on top of buying the SSD itself and I'll get right on that option instead.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Eletriarnation posted:

No, no, I think you misunderstand - the "lot of bullshit" is what I'm trying to avoid, I'm looking for a drive that will just plug in and work.

Let me know when the new motherboard and processor and 16GB DDR4 aren't $500+ on top of buying the SSD itself and I'll get right on that option instead.

If you do go ahead with trying, you'll likely want to get a PCIe adapter card that has an option for an additional heatsink - one of the most reported issues with the 950 Pro was thermal throttling.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

gently caress it, I'd turbo charge that old box with nvme and just watch it boot in 5 seconds for at least an hour.

At least it'd be an interesting upgrade.

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Eletriarnation posted:

Just get modern drive and have multiple boot partitions, one at the drive itself and one at the end of the secondary sata drive.
This way once you migrate, it's easy to delete the secondary partition and expand the data partition on the extra disk.

Once you learn how, it is pretty painless to create new boot partitions.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.
Samsung 960GB m.2 drive for $200
Is there a catch here? This seems too cheap.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Gizmo Chicken posted:

Samsung 960GB m.2 drive for $200
Is there a catch here? This seems too cheap.

It's quite slow for an NVMe SSD. 1000/870MB/sec.

Faster than an SATA SSD, for sure, but double-check the warranty. Samsung can really short-date OEM and volume-sold drives. This is an enterprise-level drive so even if it only carries a three year warranty, it should last for a good long time.

It's also being sold by a Newegg Marketplace vendor, not Newegg themselves.

Oh, the other catch: it's 110mm drive, so be sure you've got a board (or PCIe adapter) that can fit it. The typical M.2 drive is 80mm, and very few makers go to the trouble to make the space available for a 110mm drive.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 11, 2018

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Amazon and Newegg both had a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO for $399 yesterday. Newegg still has that price, but Amazon just updated theirs to $499. $399 is actually cheaper than the Samsung 960 EVO, so if you want an NVME drive now might be a good time to grab one.

Mine arrives tomorrow. :getin:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SSD value kings being disused enterprise drives is the best recent development.

eames
May 9, 2009

Samsung dropped the price of their whole 970 lineup, likely in response to some of the reviews.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Just tossing the dog a bone before Samsung conveniently cuts power to their NAND fabs again because.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What the gently caress is going on with those graphs

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"Proactive Thermal Protection?"

Ooooh boy Samsung, what did you do?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Now I'm worried I bought too early. Then again I'm happy with performance so far so maybe it's fine. Plus, I assume a future firmware update could improve performance.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ynglaur posted:

Now I'm worried I bought too early. Then again I'm happy with performance so far so maybe it's fine. Plus, I assume a future firmware update could improve performance.

Unless you are a power user you probably wont be able to tell the difference between any of those SSDs under normal usage.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yeah I wouldn't be able to get my home rig to test that right.

A xeon system has features that make any attempt to compare benchmarks to the hedt market shaky at best.

The data series in those graphs mean nothing beyond what you can draw from comparison to trends on the same test rig and software.

eames
May 9, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

I wouldn't worry, the 970 series is the right choice because of the additional warranty and higher write endurance. Add the lowered prices and it's a no-brainer, even if the performance isn't better or even slightly worse, the standard of these NVMe drives is so high that you wouldn't notice it anyway.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks for assuaging my irrational fears, goons. Another proof of :10bux: well spent all those years ago.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ynglaur posted:

Thanks for assuaging my irrational fears, goons. Another proof of :10bux: well spent all those years ago.

Your concerns were perfectly rational.

Not voicing concerns would be irrational.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

"Proactive Thermal Protection?"

Ooooh boy Samsung, what did you do?

On the 960s, it was literally a paper-thin sheet of copper under the stickers to function as a near-inconsequential heat spreader.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BIG HEADLINE posted:

On the 960s, it was literally a paper-thin sheet of copper under the stickers to function as a near-inconsequential heat spreader.

I remember laughing at that promotional material.

In this case though I'm wondering what problems they ran into wrangling their znand that got them to engineer more aggressive thermal throttling (that, of course, marketing wanted to sell as a feature)

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Thermal management is something certain types of customers care very much about

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Right but, if more reviews find this has regressed on the thermal limiting front, the question of what went wrong is going to ask itself.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Oh they could have definitely messed up the implementation but calling it something marketing wanted might be misleading if it's something a customer specially asks for

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
https://www.rakuten.com/shop/platinum-micro/product/CCMTFDDAK2T0TBN1AR1ZABYY/?ranMID=36342

2TB Micron SSD for $268. I think this is real bottom-tier SSD but the price per GB is pretty sweet.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/platinum-micro/product/CCMTFDDAK2T0TBN1AR1ZABYY/?ranMID=36342

2TB Micron SSD for $268. I think this is real bottom-tier SSD but the price per GB is pretty sweet.

This would be a great drive for just games if you play a lot different games on PC. Some specifications from the data sheet. 92k IOPs random read, 83k IOPs random write. It uses 40 TLC 384Gb 3D chips. This is a first generation device, they've already started on Gen2. The MTTF is 1.5 Million hours with a TBW life of 400TB

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I jumped on that anyway since its even cheaper than a MX500 1TB locally, and I believe Micron is massively underrating the write endurance.