Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Dolash posted:

I've ended up listening to a number of songs in this genre lately thanks to Youtube recommended videos, and I've also been trying to learn the bass guitar over the last half-year or so. Is this a sort of music that could be played on bass guitar/with a conventional band? Maybe with some kind of... I don't really know the words but whatever it is you hook up the guitar to so it sounds different. I get that it's mostly done with synthesizers but I figured since what they're synthesizing is bass lines maybe they can be done on actual bass.

I don't really have people to talk to about instruments and have just been learning from a couple beginner's books so I have no idea about genres yet.

I don't know about Bass guitar specifically, but Shredwave - mostly guitars on top of synth - is absolutely a Thing. You can also find live instruments used in a lot of "80's pop" themed retrowave bands . Unfortunately there's only a few actual guitarists that I know of and you find the same ones recurring across a lot of collaborations (eg PJ Datri)

Some of my favorite guitars in synth:
Powernerd - White Cars (bass and a painfully 80's music vid)
Volt Age - Pleasure operator (the best 80's music vid)
Volt Age - Theme 1000

Vincenco Salvia - Follow the power
Ultraboss - Get Ready
Powernerd - Death & Gold (live)

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Hey guys, are you ready to get spooky?

https://blood-music.bandcamp.com/album/invaders

Theremins in Synthwave should definitely be a Thing.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Carpenter Brut tomorrow night in San Francisco, getting PSYCHED. Gonna wear assless leather chaps.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Maleh-Vor posted:

I'm not sure what I was expecting but that might be the best album I've heard all year.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Fishstick posted:

I don't know about Bass guitar specifically, but Shredwave - mostly guitars on top of synth - is absolutely a Thing. You can also find live instruments used in a lot of "80's pop" themed retrowave bands . Unfortunately there's only a few actual guitarists that I know of and you find the same ones recurring across a lot of collaborations (eg PJ Datri)

I'm a big fan of Myrone, who also uses a lot of great bass slaps in his stuff:
Exclusive Coupé
Botox
Applied Dynamics

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Maleh-Vor posted:

This slaps.

Also, I took my contacts out for the night and put on my glasses. Somehow, this makes the album art pop out as 3D on my screen. It's super weird and cool.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
One of my girlfriend's chefs got in an accident so I might have 2 tickets to carpenter brut tonight at regency if anyone wants em. They're PDF I can just forward the email. PM me if interested.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
That's a real specific thing to happen

Try the Facebook events. Usually pretty good hitrate if you don't want to bother scalping there

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

Maleh-Vor posted:

Someone on Bandcamp bought this based on my recommendation; first time that's happened. To be fair, it's not exactly a hard sell.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Alan Smithee posted:

That's a real specific thing to happen

Try the Facebook events. Usually pretty good hitrate if you don't want to bother scalping there

Holy poo poo this actually worked. Thank you so very much for suggesting it. I got 40 of my $50 back.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

jeeves posted:

Thanks to Beyond Synth and his super wanna-be Cassy Cason voice and terrible segments (like junk mail ugh) I found out that Mecha Maiko is apparently the new project of the singer from Dead Astronauts. Just a FYI for any fans of the latter.

Mecha Maiko is Haley Stewart and she left Dead Astronauts amicably after the release of their most recent album in December 2016. DA / Haley are favorite musical artists period and will be interesting to see how they evolve. Another programmer and a female singer have since joined and they're doing live shows now.

Anyways the new Mecha Maiko album and remix EP are so extremely my poo poo, my god I'm in love.

I think I've listened to Contract (Radio Wolf Remix) like 1000 times

Also she did vocals for this new DJ Ten track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqmmZBWBf1g

:keke:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

And another one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xet1dR4Svfk

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I have like a thousand posts itt to catch up with, so I don't know if they count but I went to a Carpenter Brut show in Seattle on Monday and holy gently caress I needed to gush about it and this thread seemed like the right place

that was by far the best concert I have ever been to and that's not hyperbolic in the least

photos cannot do it justice, the experience of their music [played chest-vibratingly-loud], the light show, the visuals, it was incredible

and at the end, this loving happened

they just released a new album [which is very very good] and the entire show was themed around its concept, like they played some of their older stuff mixed in [I caught Turbo Killer, Disco Zombie Italia, Le Perv, and Roller Mobster] but mostly it was the new album. The visuals in the back were a mixture of fake newspaper clippings and video clips they made, which were invoking the satanic panic of the 80s and general attitudes against metal, while showing the origin of the fictional band and their growth in popularity, with this theme that the band really was going around murdering people while they were touring, all of which was mixed with clips from old horror flicks

like I just cannot express how good that show was, I will travel impractical distances to see them live again

e. Oh, and Jean Jean opened for them, and they were pretty good too! Their drummer is ridiculously tall and he was having an incredibly good time

e2. Okay they're a thread favorite, good, all of you have exceptional taste

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 19, 2018

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

I was in the mood for some more laid back synth like the excellent Chrome Canyon's elemental themes and found World Complete, who have one of the worst names to try and Google. I cant find any info on these guys other than their spotify page.

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

Code Jockey posted:

I have like a thousand posts itt to catch up with, so I don't know if they count but I went to a Carpenter Brut show in Seattle on Monday and holy gently caress I needed to gush about it and this thread seemed like the right place

that was by far the best concert I have ever been to and that's not hyperbolic in the least

photos cannot do it justice, the experience of their music [played chest-vibratingly-loud], the light show, the visuals, it was incredible

and at the end, this loving happened

they just released a new album [which is very very good] and the entire show was themed around its concept, like they played some of their older stuff mixed in [I caught Turbo Killer, Disco Zombie Italia, Le Perv, and Roller Mobster] but mostly it was the new album. The visuals in the back were a mixture of fake newspaper clippings and video clips they made, which were invoking the satanic panic of the 80s and general attitudes against metal, while showing the origin of the fictional band and their growth in popularity, with this theme that the band really was going around murdering people while they were touring, all of which was mixed with clips from old horror flicks

like I just cannot express how good that show was, I will travel impractical distances to see them live again

e. Oh, and Jean Jean opened for them, and they were pretty good too! Their drummer is ridiculously tall and he was having an incredibly good time

e2. Okay they're a thread favorite, good, all of you have exceptional taste

Hell yes, I'm seeing them on Monday. The stage looks loving rad, thanks for sharing.

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty

Finally got round to listening to this and it's god drat awesome. Made up for the slightly underwhelming Carpenter Brut and GosT releases. I'm sure they'll grow on me, but this has immediately bypassed them for the time being.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Devol_Tettran posted:

Finally got round to listening to this and it's god drat awesome. Made up for the slightly underwhelming Carpenter Brut and GosT releases. I'm sure they'll grow on me, but this has immediately bypassed them for the time being.

If you like BLOOD MUSIC then you should know MASTER BOOT RECORD just released a new album through them, which I learned of in this thread (thanks fish stick). It has kind of distorted Black Metal voices in several of the tracks so disclaimer if that's not your thing.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Seeing Carpenter Brut next Saturday in Montreal, Les Matos are opening for them, I'm pumped.

This is my first time seeing Brut live, and a colleague sharing their Turbo Killer video is how I discovered this entire genre. It was like people had for years been secretly developing a genre of music based around the idea of "What if we made music that was exactly the poo poo NZAmoeba loves to hear?" This past year has been quite exiting for me discovering as much as I could.

I saw Les Matos a few months back, and they were one of the best live music experiences I've had, where the sound mix wasn't just "Hey I have a new and exciting idea, lets make the bass overwhelm absolutely everything BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMFORANHOURBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM"

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope

Jealousy through the loving roof

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Maleh-Vor posted:

If you like BLOOD MUSIC then you should know MASTER BOOT RECORD just released a new album through them, which I learned of in this thread (thanks fish stick). It has kind of distorted Black Metal voices in several of the tracks so disclaimer if that's not your thing.

Direct Memory Access is an amazing album, I'm loving the more metal touches

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I went to see Carpenter Brut a few weeks ago, pretty much on a whim and with no prior knowledge other than "don't they do some retro 80s thing" and checking Turbo Killer on youtube, and I somehow ended up in first row right against the stage

I was unprepared for this to an astounding degree

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

I went to see Carpenter Brut a few weeks ago, pretty much on a whim and with no prior knowledge other than "don't they do some retro 80s thing" and checking Turbo Killer on youtube, and I somehow ended up in first row right against the stage

You guys who liked Carpenter Brut and need more should check out Dan Terminus, Mega Drive, and to a lesser degree Magic Sword

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m still angry that the day I got my fight to London confirmed was the day Brut sold out last year. I don’t know why I didn’t just buy the drat ticket, and sold it on if I couldn’t go.

I’ll just keep telling myself that sold out shows are never comfortable and the jet lag I experienced that night would’ve ruined it anyway.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

My Lovely Horse posted:

this is basically my post tl;dr'd. Like I knew / adored their music, starting from Roller Mobster [the best song in Hotline Miami 2, fight me] and looking them up on Google Play and getting hooked.

I've seen various chip / video game music shows live, and... for some reason I expected something like that.

carpenter brut was not the same as an Anamanaguchi show

[but Anamanaguchi was insanely good, in their own way]

Fishstick posted:

You guys who liked Carpenter Brut and need more should check out Dan Terminus, Mega Drive, and to a lesser degree Magic Sword

the guys behind me at the show were talking up a Magic Sword show they went to, I definitely want to go. I've been a fan of Mega Drive for a long time

and if somehow people reading this thread haven't played Hotline Miami, it's the best soundtrack ever with a very very good game attached. Play it really really loud. HM2 isn't nearly as good game wise, but fuuuuck me the soundtrack is good

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

NZAmoeba posted:

It was like people had for years been secretly developing a genre of music based around the idea of "What if we made music that was exactly the poo poo NZAmoeba loves to hear?"

This is exactly how I feel about synthwave / futurefunk / cyberpunk / new retro. Like during the entire Brut show, all of the right buttons were being pushed in my brain. Most of the time I just sat there in awe.

I really can't remember which I found first - the Hotline Miami soundtrack or somehow stumbling on Macross 82-99 - but it blew my mind that these entirely new to me genres existed that perfectly fit me

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

and if somehow people reading this thread haven't played Hotline Miami, it's the best soundtrack ever with a very very good game attached. Play it really really loud. HM2 isn't nearly as good game wise, but fuuuuck me the soundtrack is good

Game-that-flew-under-everyone's-radar Furi also has an amazing full-synth soundtrack with Carpenter Brut, Danger, and Waveshaper. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUKS--w4-Zs

I'm still stoked to go see Irving force and Sung perform here in 3 weeks.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Maleh-Vor posted:

The spooky alien invaders / theremin thing really does it for me. Am I wrong to say there's some funky disco being thrown in here too? So good.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Probably way late to the party, but Vulta is good-rear end Darksynth

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I recently found out Liverpool has a pretty good Synthwave scene with local artists and nights and everything! Pretty pleased I can go and get my drink on listening to music I like.

Here's a couple of artists.

https://whitetiger.bandcamp.com/album/voyager

https://kalax.bandcamp.com/album/kalax

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sleImNPjqWo

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I'm digging the new Timecop
https://open.spotify.com/album/7wiOmbSCQXl0dcHzxDS13i?si=aUJzhAhoROaUtRud7r4WMw

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Heck yeah it's good

Also good, the new Robert Parker album. It's no Crystal City but it's still drat good. If you haven't yet you should absolutely check out Crystal City

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 16, 2018

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

So apparently the texas school shooter was a Perturbator fan and the NYT is saying nazis listen to him :wtc:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/18/us/dimitrios-pagourtzis-gunman-texas-shooting.html

quote:

Above all this, Mr. Pagourtzis posted artwork seemingly inspired by the electronic musician James Kent, professionally known as Perturbator. Mr. Kent’s music — largely instrumental — has been adopted by affiliates of neo-Nazi groups and the alt-right.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There was that stupid Fashwave thing, but it was mainly people stealing others’ work and it being over reported.

Action Jackson is a legit dodgy guy tho from memory. I remember some of his posts being pretty extreme.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MkRuV0aCcI

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

the problem with being extremely online is that everything gets nazis attached to it at some stage

anime, furries, diapers? Yeah

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
the alt right is an internet movement so everyone on the internet is the alt right, duh

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Retrowave stuff is really popular with 4chan alt right guys so they're not too far off base.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

A human heart posted:

Retrowave stuff is really popular with 4chan alt right guys so they're not too far off base.

bruce springsteen hates the poor because republicans played born in the usa at a rally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The article doesn't say that Perturbator is alt right(and in fact goes out of its way to say that he isn't), just that many alt right guys listen to him, which is correct.