Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Minrad posted:

because then monster hunter world will be available for pc
Don't trick me into thinking they announced a release date :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

1stGear posted:

hey is this game worth coming back to yet

Do you have the season pass? Probably yes.

I am liking the game first area even if the final boss is a gear check (as everything else in the game).

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Destructoid reviewed the Warmind DLC and gave it a 5.5, calling it an exercise in apathy, another slam dunk win for bungo

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Who was the goon who wrote lore stuff for D1?

I ask because I am (was lol etc) a first time PC gamer who wound up looking back at the (good) lore (for which apparently you were responsible) for D1 on a whim, and reading it was enjoyable, satisfying, and evocative in a way that has stuck with me since then. Far more so than Destiny 2 or most mass media fiction usually is. You did good. If you're published I'll buy it sight unseen. TIA please resume shitposting

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Huh, when CoO came out I owned it without purchasing it, so I figured I bought the expansion pass/deluxe whatever edition at some point.

But after logging in to play Warmind it turns out I don't own it, so guess I'm not jumping back in. :shrug:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

metasynthetic posted:

Who was the goon who wrote lore stuff for D1?

I ask because I am (was lol etc) a first time PC gamer who wound up looking back at the (good) lore (for which apparently you were responsible) for D1 on a whim, and reading it was enjoyable, satisfying, and evocative in a way that has stuck with me since then. Far more so than Destiny 2 or most mass media fiction usually is. You did good. If you're published I'll buy it sight unseen. TIA please resume shitposting

That was General Battuta

He writes the Baru Cormorant series, of which the second one ought to be coming out this year

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Xarbala posted:

That was General Battuta

He writes the Baru Cormorant series, of which the second one ought to be coming out this year

Oh poo poo, no kidding? I've had that on my kindle for a year now and haven't gotten around to reading it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Oh poo poo, no kidding? I've had that on my kindle for a year now and haven't gotten around to reading it.

Yep. He's also majorly involved in Blue Planet, which is a kickass mod for Freespace 2, the most kickass space fighter game ever made. Dude's got a hell of a resume.

Graviton Lance is pretty fun now. No idea how "good" it is seeing as how I haven't played since like two weeks after Osiris and everything feels different and weird (though the sandbox changes have me enjoying combat almost as much as D1, at least for now) but purple explosion carpet bombing is pretty great.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Seconding what Psycho Landlord and Xarbala have said. General Battuta is an excellent writer and Baru Cormorant is a great novel (and BP is a great fan campaign -- feels unfair to call it that, really).

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
There was a set of green tier Hunter gear in destiny one named after him.

I still have a full set in my fault.

Unrelated: the lore of this expansion has made me angery

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm just making my glory and valour circles fill up I haven't even seen the new lore

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

The story missions made no sense at all but I've never paid attention to those anyway. These gun quests are a real loving slog though. 200-ish precision kills each with this handgun for both cabal and hive? And it has to be on Mars too? Ugh. Also did anyone where to activate the node for the other Mars gun quest?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

municipal shrimp posted:

The story missions made no sense at all but I've never paid attention to those anyway. These gun quests are a real loving slog though. 200-ish precision kills each with this handgun for both cabal and hive? And it has to be on Mars too? Ugh. Also did anyone where to activate the node for the other Mars gun quest?

Stop complaining you content locust, that sort of weapon quest has to last till the next expansion :v:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The buffed Exotics are really good in PvP. Graviton Lance is basically a scout rifle that shoots out seekers on kill, Riskrunner is hilarious if it gets charged up.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

municipal shrimp posted:

The node mentions the region and the one notable thing to look for

IT's the area you went into the second vault, the big arch

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

accept me into goon tang right now

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

JerikTelorian posted:

It honestly depends on what you want out of it.

The gunplay is a Bungie-Quality good time, and the recent balance changes to weapons, exotics, and move speed/supers have improved this even more. You can have a lot of fun just logging on and doing patrols or public events if you just want to shoot stuff.

I'm considering reinstalling based on this alone. I play solo, generally, and enjoyed the shooting enough for about 2 months straight as a near max-level hunter, peeking in a few days a week just for the fun of shooting and running around. Getting the same exotics every week was frustrating, though, and it eventually put me off. This was in January. Has there been enough change to loot distribution/rewards? I'm not trying to min-max in a hurry, I just want access to different things if possible.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I think warmind is an enormous improvement on CoS, but using Nokris and Xol as throw-away baddies like that was pretty bad. Maybe lore nerds won't care but those two were foreshadowed and hyped up for a couple of years. Being introduced suddenly without backstory and then suddenly being killed off and forgotten about without any further exposition was probably the biggest story mistake in Destiny's half-decade life so far. It's like getting to Jesus Christ in the bible and then only giving him a footnote.

That said, you know D2 has gone far when its biggest complaint is the story now. I think the gameplay systems are in good shape now at least. The exotics feel exotic, the new zone is a decent size, escalation protocol is actually really drat fun, and the strike versions of Nokris/Xol are probably among top tier strikes for the series. The raid should be interesting too.

Morter posted:

I'm considering reinstalling based on this alone. I play solo, generally, and enjoyed the shooting enough for about 2 months straight as a near max-level hunter, peeking in a few days a week just for the fun of shooting and running around. Getting the same exotics every week was frustrating, though, and it eventually put me off. This was in January. Has there been enough change to loot distribution/rewards? I'm not trying to min-max in a hurry, I just want access to different things if possible.

Yes they fixed redundant exotics and repeat drops. A bunch of them got buffed too.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Morter posted:

I think they put in dupe protection? However, the first thing I did when I logged in yesterday was get the free bright engram from the vendor and then decoded it and it gave me a dupe exotic armor piece so YMMV.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
wait they made another ps4 exclusive strike?

lmao bungo

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Murgos posted:

I think they put in dupe protection? However, the first thing I did when I logged in yesterday was get the free bright engram from the vendor and then decoded it and it gave me a dupe exotic armor piece so YMMV.

It's not dupe protection for what you own but dupe protection from opening two engrams in a row because :bungie:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Sweet, I'll keep that in mind.

Lastly, does the 2nd xpac add anything that adds to the open world/arsenal? Just a patrol zone?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Poops Mcgoots posted:

You should read that like yesterday. And then you can join me in being sad that the sequel isn't out yet.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

DrNutt posted:

You should read that like yesterday. And then you can join me in being sad that the sequel isn't out yet.

Seconding this, the traitor is very good AND actually kind of enlightening on the nature and methods of imperialism.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Updated the game since I already own Warmind and applied to HOTDOG as CptnBlaargh#1135.

See you goons in game for massive disappointment and also raiding! :negative:

I've got to say the exotic weapon changes are real good so far, at least.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Maybe lore nerds won't care but those two were foreshadowed and hyped up for a couple of years.

Nokris has literally one in-game mention and no out-of-game lore mentions aside from the lore post that went up on B.net last week.

Xol is mentioned in 4 grimoire cards total.

They were not foreshadowed and hyped for years. Nokris in particular is a nobody as far as extant lore is concerned and Xol only gets any sort of notoriety because it’s a known Worm God.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Captain Blaargh posted:

Updated the game since I already own Warmind and applied to HOTDOG as CptnBlaargh#1135.

See you goons in game for massive disappointment and also raiding! :negative:

I've got to say the exotic weapon changes are real good so far, at least.

Gotcha in.

Yeah, I am excited to see what the new raid is all about. I’ve not played for so drat long the game is gonna feel fresh.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Legs Benedict posted:

Nokris has literally one in-game mention and no out-of-game lore mentions aside from the lore post that went up on B.net last week.

They were not foreshadowed and hyped for years. Nokris in particular is a nobody as far as extant lore is concerned and Xol only gets any sort of notoriety because it’s a known Worm God.

The problem I had as a certified Destiny Lore Nerd was that the worm gods in particular are supposed to be these massive nigh-unknowable, sort of Lovecraftian presences in the Destiny universe. So like, even more powerful and terrible than Crota or Oryx. And then you take one down in an anticlimactic boss fight at the end of a two hour campaign.

Why that poo poo wasn't saved for a hive raid I can't possibly imagine, other than maybe they are trying to imply that somehow we are that much more powerful since the Traveler woke back up? Which makes no sense because it's not any easier to kill all the other same rear end enemies that we've been fighting the whole time already.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Reddit says the ingame lore implies that Xol is the weakest Worm God.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

DLC would be better if they skipped story entirely and said "we're going to add 6 strikes, and 5 pvp maps" and that was it

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Control Volume posted:

DLC would be better if they skipped story entirely and said "we're going to add 6 strikes, and 5 pvp maps" and that was it

I wish they'd just pop maps and strikes in randomly, it'd do wonders for the mouthfeel of the development cycle.

"Yeah we were just gonna like...wait until next expansion but we were actually really proud of <x feature> and couldn't wait to get it in you guys' hands."

But that'd never happen :v:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well their media team is really loving committed to jizzing hard every time they put out some mediocre content and they like to go nuts with reveals and streams and patting themselves on the back. They would miss out on that if they just put content out all willy nilly.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

What do I miss out on if I don't get the dlcs? Like, is there still equipment gated behind doc ownership or is it just some activities & areas?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

DrNutt posted:

Well their media team is really loving committed to jizzing hard every time they put out some mediocre content and they like to go nuts with reveals and streams and patting themselves on the back. They would miss out on that if they just put content out all willy nilly.

People wanted more communication. Their problem is they don't realize what good communication looks like, because Overwatch puts a sweaty middle-aged nerd to talk visibly off a script about a map update and matchmaking code and it can become the hottest meme of a generation.

Part of the problem is that the first game's armsday and shorter Xur window and weekend Iron Banners and so on established a weekly cycle for everyone's attention spans, they tried to fake the World of Warcraft feel by adding timed events like SRL, and shortening regular event windows so people had to log in more often then than they do now. And now the only "everybody wake up and pay attention to Destiny" moments in the week for D2 are the vendor/raid reset and the This Week At Bungie post. People read way too much into a loving blog post because it's one of the few outlets that attention spans bred by the last game actually get.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

ItBreathes posted:

What do I miss out on if I don't get the dlcs? Like, is there still equipment gated behind doc ownership or is it just some activities & areas?

I think you miss out on the planet, its guns, its armor, and its questline, but get things like crucible maps. strikes(?), and weekly events such as IB and faction rallies.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Legs Benedict posted:

Yeah maybe explicit mentions but that's will fully ignoring everything that's ever mentioned about the nature of the worm gods and high level hive leadership/family.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Guys, looks like we may know where the next expansion is taking place. Here’s a leak via Walmart Canada

https://mobile.twitter.com/Wario64/...s-3-and-more%2F

Note the game called Destiny Comet.

We are going to a comet.

Edit: I guess this is their code name for expansions. drat.

ICR fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 9, 2018

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Wait they only added 3 strikes and 2 of them are story missions again? WITH THE THIRD BEING PLAYSTATION EXCLUSIVE?!?!

Hahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahaha

hahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahhahaha

I don't know why I keep thinking they might unfuck themselves.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
No Radar ranked with fun exotic weapons is good while there's a temporary population surge! Play now until all that's left is sweaty tryhards that will stomp you into nothingness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, I just finished the story and other than 1 minute segment of hearing Rasputin speak like an angry god it was thoughroly underwhelming. Goddamnit Bungie :D And in true Bungie fashion doesn't make any sense. Why couldn't Rasputin do all the stuff he means to do before we killed the worm? Plotwise it's like, I don't know, seriously incompetent people trying their best. When the main game came out, my thoughts on the plot were it was take your daughter to work day and let your 3 year old daughter write babby's first video game plot, its just so amateurish. And this expansion's plot was more of the same. I drunkenly preordered the deluxe edition a year ago so I had the season pass and checked this out, but I'm not buying anything destiny again.

• Locked thread