Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Maybe it can be funny this time and less Ron Howard. I realize he's part of the charm of the series but in S4 I felt he narrated too much. I went back to the old seasons to confirm this and he does speak less plus it was way more funny in just the 1st episode.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Vintersorg posted:

Maybe it can be funny this time and less Ron Howard. I realize he's part of the charm of the series but in S4 I felt he narrated too much. I went back to the old seasons to confirm this and he does speak less plus it was way more funny in just the 1st episode.

I'm guessing they had to up the narration to try and stop it feeling so disjointed (Ron Howardly: It didn't) because of how it was filmed. They seem to lean way into the "back together" aspect of it in this trailer, so I am hopeful.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
where the hell is The Predator trailer man

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dan Didio posted:

Pretty sure basic math disproves this.

The other way round, maybe; if you don't like comic movies you probably won't like comics. But there's probably a lot of people who like Marvel movies and would like Marvel comics, they just haven't read any.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

viral spiral posted:

where the hell is The Predator trailer man

Thursday

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

kiimo posted:

Thursday

Now the real question: will it be better than Pixels, the laugh-a-minute side-splitting riot that had audiences coming back for more? ;)

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Idk what Kiimo said but he was probably right.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

kiimo posted:

Thursday

I love that you're here. You give me the scoop on the thing I care about the most.

AvP Galaxy has no idea lol

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jedit posted:

But there's probably a lot of people who like Marvel movies and would like Marvel comics, they just haven't read any.

At this point the ship has sailed.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

cvnvcnv posted:

Pixels was a cute family film with some good laughs in it.

Idk what Kiimo said but he was probably right.

I said it was a "legit funny and good movie" i think. I was watching the dailies. Never trust the dailies. Peter Dinklage in particular was cracking me up I think.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

kiimo posted:

I said it was a "legit funny and good movie" i think. I was watching the dailies. Never trust the dailies. Peter Dinklage in particular was cracking me up I think.

The one thing in particular I remember laughing at was him, harping about how he's never gonna pay "stupid as balls taxes" or something. He was amusing throughout.

Sandler movies may be bad as a general rule but they're also overly crapped on by people who ostensibly think they're still supposed to be his target audience. Parents and children, the opinions thst matter, probably really enjoyed Pixels.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

What other already-announced movies are you handling the trailers for, kiimo?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

At first I thought you were still talking about The Predator and my brain began short circuiting trying to parse a shirtless Dinklage fighting a Predator in brutal hand-to-hand combat. And this is after seeing him play a giant alien blacksmith.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

The MSJ posted:

Yeah, kiimo? Tell us! Are you working on Hotel Artemis because my boss really hates the trailer and we are desperately waiting for an international 90 second cutdown while being in the midst of a legal battle with Lionsgate over the length of the film itself (yup, that's a thing!). Please say yes!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Go see Ghost Stories, y'all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsTkkowDVv8

These look pretty interesting too.

The Cleanse - quirky creature movie, reminds me a little of Bad Milo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duTYG2DSJqk

Racer and the Jailbird - French crime caper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e-l_OFcG2g

American Animals - American crime caper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuTuKLE3tZ0

Revenge - self explanatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I070QIkVVig

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 8, 2018

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The MSJ posted:

When you say handling I hope you don't think I'm cutting these myself because I'm not an SVP yet. I internationalize and cut down trailers and TV spots for international markets to localize mostly and handle poo poo like music licensing and testing and secondary things. In other words I'm not responsible if you hate them. Unless you hate a :20 TV spot you see in europe/asia/australia, in which case I'm sorry and I'll probably blame the localization people.

I'm working on several films but the only ones you'd be interested in are Predator, Deadpool, Alita and New Mutants (don't hold your breath on that last one).

I was worried about Alita for a while but holy poo poo that is looking insane these days, at least SFX-wise. I feel similar to when I was watching the magic start to happen with War For The Planet Of The Apes.

AlexF posted:

Yeah, kiimo? Tell us! Are you working on Hotel Artemis because my boss really hates the trailer and we are desperately waiting for an international 90 second cutdown while being in the midst of a legal battle with Lionsgate over the length of the film itself (yup, that's a thing!). Please say yes!

Yes!

j/k nope that's Lionsgate soooo

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

AlexF posted:

... what?

So... should I basically write this movie off? Because it sounds like its production is a staggering clusterfuck, and that doesn't tend to lead to good movies. I also really liked the trailer, and you make it sound like the movie doesn't actually resemble it.

kiimo posted:

I was worried about Alita for a while but holy poo poo that is looking insane these days, at least SFX-wise. I feel similar to when I was watching the magic start to happen with War For The Planet Of The Apes.

Please tell me we're getting a new trailer soon, I'm a HUGE loving fan of the Battle Angel Alita comics and got hype as all gently caress for that first trailer and if it's looking even better I wanna be all like "YEP I TOLD Y'ALL SO, THIS MOVIE IS GONNA ABSOLUTELY loving OWN"

e: like, that shot of Alita grabbing Zapan (?) by the vocal cords and slamming him headfirst through the table in front of them is kind of when I knew "ok this movie Nailed It"

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 8, 2018

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

^^^^not soon. I'm testing some clips with focus groups and they are stunning.

I don't know where else to put this.

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/comcast/comcast-bid-fox-walt-disney-sky-murdoch-20180508.html

Comcast apparently trying to buy Fox instead of Disney now.

This ride is just getting started.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

kiimo posted:

^^^^not soon. I'm testing some clips with focus groups and they are stunning.

I don't know where else to put this.

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/comcast/comcast-bid-fox-walt-disney-sky-murdoch-20180508.html

Comcast apparently trying to buy Fox instead of Disney now.

This ride is just getting started.

thanks donald trump, because of your clusterfuck of an administration I'm now convinced that no mergers will be denied unless the CEO of one or both companies comes out and calls you a little bitch boy personally

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I like the timeline where I keep my job and also separate from Fox News.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

nice to see they're making a sequel to Deadly Prey

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

nice to see they're making a sequel to Deadly Prey

It already exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XhFWOCskh4

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

kiimo posted:

I'm working on several films but the only ones you'd be interested in are Predator

Without spoiling anything, do you feel that the new Predator film is at least competently made?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

DC Murderverse posted:

thanks donald trump, because of your clusterfuck of an administration I'm now convinced that no mergers will be denied unless the CEO of one or both companies comes out and calls you a little bitch boy personally

or one of the companies is chinese

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

viral spiral posted:

Without spoiling anything, do you feel that the new Predator film is at least competently made?

He gets clips I think and probably not enough to really tell fully if the film works or not.

Im sure it’s as good as my other Shane Black film.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

kiimo posted:

Yes!

j/k nope that's Lionsgate soooo

Noooooo :(

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

... what?

So... should I basically write this movie off? Because it sounds like its production is a staggering clusterfuck, and that doesn't tend to lead to good movies. I also really liked the trailer, and you make it sound like the movie doesn't actually resemble it.

Nah, don't write it off. We didn't get a chance to screen for our team just yet but some colleagues have seen an unfinished version about a month ago and apparently it's a fun little flick. Niche, yes...but fun. Also, I like the trailer and the people who have seen it say it's pretty much a spot on representation, so don't worry :)

The dispute is as follows: The final version of the film is 87 minutes long (without credits) but the licensing contract states that it needs to be at least 90 minutes long (you wouldn't believe some of the clauses in those contracts. SUPER specific stuff). You could of course just waive that clause and say "Let's do this! Let's distribute the hell out of this and make it as succesful as possible! Movies are all too drat long anyway these days!" or you could go the very classy way that our higher ups chose: Try to get a lower licensing fee from Lionsgate for breaking the contract or threaten to pull out completely.

Lionsgate, on the other hand, has a very simple answer to us being babies: A German cut, that's like seven minutes longer, will be finished next week. To which our lawyers say "Well, noooo! We want the same version as the rest of the world. Also, we won't talk to you until you do exactly what we want you to do kthxbyeee".

So here I'm sitting with my colleague, waiting for dubbing material (available and already delivered to the rest of Europe, where it'll be released without a hitch, because those guys are sane unlike us) that of course won't be handed to us until this is all cleared up. Jodie Foster's voice actress, whom she knows personally and must contractually be the one dubbing her, is available like 10 weeks a year in total so it'll become a total scheduling nightmare.

So, yeah, This is my Artemis story for today. I'm sure I'll love it but working on it kinda sucks right now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They just need to bring Goldblum back for an afternoon and film a 3 minute scene of him goofing around, geez.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
That'd be amazing. Just Goldblum riffing for the exact required amount of time.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

This is somehow the first time I heard that actors have voice doubles for live action stuff.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Anne Frank Funk posted:

This is somehow the first time I heard that actors have voice doubles for live action stuff.

Right? I was about to ask, "...Jodie Foster's voice actress? She's a real person, why does she need a voice actress?"

Also, 87 minutes sure is a short movie. But I agree that most movies are too long now, so I'll take a nice, short, focused action movie (or one with 7 minutes it doesn't need, I guess).

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Anne Frank Funk posted:

thrawn527 posted:

Right? I was about to ask, "...Jodie Foster's voice actress? She's a real person, why does she need a voice actress?"

It's for the dubbed European versions. A lot of countries like France, Spain, Italy and Germany don't really do subtitles (these days you can find subtitled films in cinemas but not everywhere). All the famous English-speaking actors you can think of? Most of us have never heard their actual voice. Also sometimes you recognise the voice actors' voice in commercials or video games.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Kassad posted:

It's for the dubbed European versions. A lot of countries like France, Spain, Italy and Germany don't really do subtitles (these days you can find subtitled films in cinemas but not everywhere). All the famous English-speaking actors you can think of? Most of us have never heard their actual voice. Also sometimes you recognise the voice actors' voice in commercials or video games.

Ohhhh, that makes a lot more sense. I thought you meant in case Foster wasn't available for ADR or something.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Yeah, meant for dubbing. Sorry, that wasn't clear enough. Might have something to do with me being loving furious over this :(

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Thanks for clearing that up. But honestly wouldn't surprise me. We have Tom Hanks's brother doing VO for toy story games and whatnot, why not some ADR for movies then.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

AlexF posted:

Noooooo :(

Nah, don't write it off. We didn't get a chance to screen for our team just yet but some colleagues have seen an unfinished version about a month ago and apparently it's a fun little flick. Niche, yes...but fun. Also, I like the trailer and the people who have seen it say it's pretty much a spot on representation, so don't worry :)

The dispute is as follows: The final version of the film is 87 minutes long (without credits) but the licensing contract states that it needs to be at least 90 minutes long (you wouldn't believe some of the clauses in those contracts. SUPER specific stuff). You could of course just waive that clause and say "Let's do this! Let's distribute the hell out of this and make it as succesful as possible! Movies are all too drat long anyway these days!" or you could go the very classy way that our higher ups chose: Try to get a lower licensing fee from Lionsgate for breaking the contract or threaten to pull out completely.

Lionsgate, on the other hand, has a very simple answer to us being babies: A German cut, that's like seven minutes longer, will be finished next week. To which our lawyers say "Well, noooo! We want the same version as the rest of the world. Also, we won't talk to you until you do exactly what we want you to do kthxbyeee".

So here I'm sitting with my colleague, waiting for dubbing material (available and already delivered to the rest of Europe, where it'll be released without a hitch, because those guys are sane unlike us) that of course won't be handed to us until this is all cleared up. Jodie Foster's voice actress, whom she knows personally and must contractually be the one dubbing her, is available like 10 weeks a year in total so it'll become a total scheduling nightmare.

So, yeah, This is my Artemis story for today. I'm sure I'll love it but working on it kinda sucks right now.

My suggestion: see if they can literally just put 3 minutes of B-roll in the movie in a non-intrusive way to pad it to 90. If the movie's 87 minutes long and needs to be 90, that seems like a pretty easy problem to fix.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 9, 2018

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I don't think they're interested in fixing it, I think they're interested in a breach of contract giving them a better deal.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Except that's playing with fire, and it's just as likely that the movie just straight up won't come out in Germany if they pull that kind of fuckery. Like, I would think that working with the studio and not trying to gently caress them is the best way to ensure that you get to keep distributing that studio's movies.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

kiimo posted:

told myself i'd never do this but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q7g4zz20Kc