Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MiddleOne posted:

They referenced the insanity of KK3 as the reason for Cobra Kai's lifetime ban..

I loved Johnny during that: "I literally have no idea who those people are."

Rocksicles posted:

Daniel's wife is great.

Yes, very underrated in all this. She's a great voice of reason and a wonderful, loving compliment to Daniel and all his flaws. Perfectly matched for him, wry, practical, but funny. He's better off with her than with Dr. Ali (who gets the stupid faced life saving Dr husband she deserves).

gohmak posted:

"because you BLOW the competition away."

She's great.

"Nobody's gonna see you, they'll only see The Dick. It's The Dick's billboard now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

It makes me laugh every time Johnny yells "QUIET!" like that. Especially when he just wandered into that neighbouring store.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think from now on when I get black out drunk I'm gonna scream "We're all gonna die kid!" after peeing on my own car while smashing the empty bottle on the ground.

Total alpha move.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Is a second season coming? I'd be so pissed off if Youtube winning the bid kills this show in its cradle just from not reaching a wide enough audience.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Burned through the first three episodes last night, and I love it so far, and really like the interaction between Johnny and Miguel.

I have to ask though, in E2, when he’s at the dealership, and he says Daniel won on an illegal kick, was it illegal? I seem to remember a ‘no hits to the face’ rule, but it’s been forever since I saw Karate Kid.

Daniel’s fixation on Cobra Kai being reopened seems ridiculous and petty, but at the same time, I have 7 episodes left (did Cobra Kai show up as the bad guys in a later KK movie or something?)

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

LadyPictureShow posted:

Daniel’s fixation on Cobra Kai being reopened seems ridiculous and petty, but at the same time, I have 7 episodes left (did Cobra Kai show up as the bad guys in a later KK movie or something?)

that'll get alluded to later in the season, apparently poo poo went down in kk3

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

LadyPictureShow posted:

You really need to watch KK3, I can't keep repeating enough that it is a treasure.

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene

MiddleOne posted:

You really need to watch KK3, I can't keep repeating enough that it is a treasure.

I watched it with the Rifftrax and it was pretty great.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Can we get CG miyagi ala Yoda in season 2?

Also I can't believe how great it is having Kreese show up at the end like he's been waiting in the shadows for over 30 years waiting to return honor and glory to his toxic McDojo in all seriousness after the shows self aware realism hinted at the danger of hanging onto the past as a middle aged man

And also he was supposedly dead

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

LadyPictureShow posted:

I have to ask though, in E2, when he’s at the dealership, and he says Daniel won on an illegal kick, was it illegal? I seem to remember a ‘no hits to the face’ rule, but it’s been forever since I saw Karate Kid.
Yes, it would have been illegal, but it likely would have just resulted in a warning, it's not like Daniel was breaking the rules the entire tournament. "No uncontrolled strikes to the face." A full force crane kick was absolutely uncontrolled.

quote:

Go watch KK3, but the short form is, Kreese's old war buddy literally hires thugs to beat Daniel up, numerous times, trashes his shop, the whole nine yards. Daniel has legitimate beef against Cobra Kai, and I can understand him having beef against Johnny.

I realized something; not only is Silver and Dyna-Tox Industries the quintessential late-80s early-90s evil pollution company, but they're being mean to Mr. Miyagi's Little Trees.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Spoiler that poo poo, son.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kazoo Reverb posted:

I watched it with the Rifftrax and it was pretty great.

Yeah this is the best way to enjoy it. The movie has incredible depths to mine for riffing, like a cake there is always another layer to dwell into.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

So I'm glad there's a thread for this, and that the whole series is good. My biggest fear after watching the pilot was, "there's no way that the rest of the series can be this good."

Hopefully I can binge this over the next day or two and join in on spoiler chat.

Seeing so much love for Karate Kid 3 makes me happy.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Thanks for explaining things guys!

I was looking up KK3, and came across a weird fan theory for S2:

Miguel’s mom said she fled when she learned about what kind of person Miguel’s father was. Silver had a throwaway comment about Borneo. Even though the mother fled Ecuador, some people are convinced a plot twist in S2 is that Silver is Miguel’s father

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

LadyPictureShow posted:

Thanks for explaining things guys!

I was looking up KK3, and came across a weird fan theory for S2:

Miguel’s mom said she fled when she learned about what kind of person Miguel’s father was. Silver had a throwaway comment about Borneo. Even though the mother fled Ecuador, some people are convinced a plot twist in S2 is that Silver is Miguel’s father

The timeline doesn't match up for that.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Jose Oquendo posted:

The timeline doesn't match up for that.

That’s why I said it was weird. Unless that the person throwing that theory around meant he was going around for decades doing bad stuff.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

LadyPictureShow posted:

That’s why I said it was weird. Unless that the person throwing that theory around meant he was going around for decades doing bad stuff.

Who knows? Fled to South America in the face of jail time in the US for corporate shenanigans, but he's old enough to be Miguel's grandfather. So, his son, raised in Ecuador or whatever and even more slimy than Silver himself, may be Miguel's father?

That said, I don't like Star Wars style 'everybody is loving related' dynasties. Let Miguel's father be some random Cartel sicaro and never mention him again. The important relationships remain Johnny and Miguel, Johnny and Daniel, Johnny and Robby, Daniel and Robby, Daniel and Sam, Miguel and Sam, Robby and Sam, and hence, Robby/Miguel/Sam.

Oh, and hippie fighter's sensei? Better idea: it's Bobby from KK1, who took a real 180 after being ordered to destroy Daniel's knee in the semi-finals. And yes, this is in complete opposition to what I just said about dynasties, but hey, I can at least buy the Karate culture in a geographic area being that way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Most of Cobra Kai Class of '84 are probably working lovely jobs around the valley so it's likely at least one of them is teaching.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bobby was the goodest guy of the old Cobra Kai, so he's probably a successful lawyer that hasn't thought about karate at all since he watched his teacher joke out a kid and then punch out two car windows over a plastic trophy.

That said, I would like to see Dutch and Bobby again, but I don't think there's really room for them and to expand on the other Cobra Kai kids for next season.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07vsDmMcSnU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Finished this the other day and I'm glad to see it had a good reaction from everyone. I thought all the scenes revolving around Mr. Miyagi were really well done.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was just so surprised that Johnny grew up to be such a good actor. I'm amazed he hasn't been in more stuff.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

precision posted:

I was just so surprised that Johnny grew up to be such a good actor. I'm amazed he hasn't been in more stuff.

Check his imdb. He's been in tons of stuff... Just nothing anyone really cared about.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He got an Oscar nomination for writing as well I believe. I'm kinda holding out hope that this resurgence of 80's things will give us a new Young Guns and a new Outsiders. I'm torn if we need a new Lost Boys or not....probably.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Johnny did nothing wrong

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Solice Kirsk posted:

He got an Oscar nomination for writing as well I believe. I'm kinda holding out hope that this resurgence of 80's things will give us a new Young Guns and a new Outsiders. I'm torn if we need a new Lost Boys or not....probably.

There's been like 3 sequels to Lost Boys.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rhyno posted:

There's been like 3 sequels to Lost Boys.

Yeah but not a straight-up reboot, and you know it's coming.

The entire soundtrack will be Marilyn Manson, and that's if we're lucky. If we're unlucky, Slipknot.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh man, i kinda want to see this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Boys:_The_Tribe

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

quote:

a script called Lost Boys: Devil May Cry was also considered.

wanna read dat script

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

precision posted:

Yeah but not a straight-up reboot, and you know it's coming.

The entire soundtrack will be Marilyn Manson, and that's if we're lucky. If we're unlucky, Slipknot.

Dude, neither of those bands have been relevant in years.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rhyno posted:

Dude, neither of those bands have been relevant in years.

:thejoke:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You need to get better at joking.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What's the new Marilyn Manson for this generation? I mean, in the 90's when I was a kid I was listening to Skinny Puppy and Nine Inch Nails. Manson came around in like 94 when I started high school (I never really got into them, but they sure were popular with my friends). Whats the new bands that kids who hate authority and like wearing black listen to? There's gotta be one, but the only bands I can think of wouldn't have that young of a following.

I bet it's still just the same bands of the 80's and 90's. It is isn't it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There are plenty of people around here under the age of 25 who love Marilyn Manson and Slipknot.

Some things just speak across generations I guess.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Photex posted:

Finished this the other day and I'm glad to see it had a good reaction from everyone. I thought all the scenes revolving around Mr. Miyagi were really well done.

It was a great way to include him. It lets him cast a presence over the show without actually being there.

Also Season 2 theory: Everything that's happened to Johnny over the past 34 years since his loss, the entire shitshow of his life, has been engineered by Kreese. He rejected Johnny and watched his life fall apart from afar, knowing that 30 years of that would make Johnny great and be in the perfect position to bring Cobra Kai back better than ever. Kreese will be revealed to be the greatest sensei ever, with convoluted long game training that makes Miyagi look like an amateur. :smug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That would be amazing.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What happened to the 30 or so Cobra Kai dojos from Karate Kidd III?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spacebump posted:

What happened to the 30 or so Cobra Kai dojos from Karate Kidd III?

The ones that hadn't opened yet? Silver was banking on Daniel losing and parlaying that fame into a revitalized CK.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

What's the new Marilyn Manson for this generation?

Katy Perry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Rhyno posted:

The ones that hadn't opened yet? Silver was banking on Daniel losing and parlaying that fame into a revitalized CK.

Ah, for some reason I thought Silver had already put forth the money to open them. Season 2 can't be announced and get here fast enough. I can't believe I'm excited about the Karate Kid Universe in 2018.

• Locked thread