Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dan Didio posted:

I'm too dumb to figure out how to help the dude steal the ship in Fort Deadlight. Is there a way to do this without alerting everyone?

You have to waste 2 or 3 guards to descend to where the ship is yes, but after that and you kill the guards around the ship there is an option to allow you to move around the fort unmolested when you ring the bell 3 times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Avalerion posted:

Is resolve still the talky stat then? Hoped all that moved to skills. :(

It mstly moved to skills yeah

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jon Irenicus posted:

This game is surprising me by just how funny it actually is. Never let Eder leave your party.

Probably my biggest and most pleasant surprise of the game so far. The dialogue and characters are so utterly believable, and the humor is both appropriate for everyone's personalities and rip-roaringly funny.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

algebra testes posted:

You have to waste 2 or 3 guards to descend to where the ship is yes, but after that and you kill the guards around the ship there is an option to allow you to move around the fort unmolested when you ring the bell 3 times

My problem is more that I can't waste the guards without them alerting everyone. If I ring the bell, will that clear?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

My problem is more that I can't waste the guards without them alerting everyone. If I ring the bell, will that clear?

It's a bit of a puzzle fight. Notice that big stack of exploding barrels on the section of the docks right below the ship? The two patrolling guards meet up there occasionally. Try applying fire damage to those barrels and see what happens.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

Harrow posted:

I recall reading that they tried to spread it out more this time. Resolve is a talky stat but not necessarily the talky stat.

Can party members always chip in on those checks? I could do some checks with Eder right after the shipwreck and I thought that was cool. It'd be nice if some conversation checks could be solved by a party member helping out so the Watcher doesn't have to bear the weight of all the conversation skills/stats.

In conversations, as far as I can tell, you only get to use the watchers skills, BUT there are breakpoints that give you bonuses from your companions. If you have 4 levels of metaphysics in your party outside of the watcher, then (s)he'll get a +2, for example.

In the CYOA sections, you can sometimes directly use a companion, but sometimes only your watcher. I think you get party contributions to skills in some of them and don't in others, depending on whether the party would be with you and able to help or not.

Edit: Stat checks never get party assistance, though you can use other characters' stats in some CYOA sections.

Dairy Power fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 9, 2018

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I was hyped that the nature of souls and reincarnation allowed me to import and still create a new character in a lore friendly way but it turns out you get sent back to your old body, not given a new one.

Really minor complaint and I'm loving the game so far but it's still niggling me a little bit that I should go back and make my Wizard look like he used to

Fake edit; sorry about the character creation spoilers

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
It seemed like convo checks used whoever was highest. CYOA checks use individual skills though, as does scroll usage, so get that arcane skill real high if you wanna use em on someone

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Vermain posted:

It's a bit of a puzzle fight. Notice that big stack of exploding barrels on the section of the docks right below the ship? The two patrolling guards meet up there occasionally. Try applying fire damage to those barrels and see what happens.

I tried that at one point, but it didn't quite work. Maybe they just weren't close enough.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dairy Power posted:

In conversations, as far as I can tell, you only get to use the watchers skills, BUT there are breakpoints that give you bonuses from your companions. If you have 4 levels of metaphysics in your party outside of the watcher, then (s)he'll get a +2, for example.

In the CYOA sections, you can sometimes directly use a companion, but sometimes only your watcher. I think you get party contributions to skills in some of them and don't in others, depending on whether the party would be with you and able to help or not.

Edit: Stat checks never get party assistance, though you can use other characters' stats in some CYOA sections.

Gotcha.

With the Eder example I was talking about, it was the crew member with the wine barrel on the deck after the shipwreck. If I selected Eder instead of the Watcher and talked to her, I could use Eder's skills in that conversation, which let me actually help her (since my test-build Watcher didn't have the Might or the Survival to pick either option). I don't remember if I could do that in PoE1 but it was pretty cool to be able to do it there.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Does Serafen get unique cipher abilities? My mc is already part cipher so mechanically I'd rather him be pure barbarian but I could do barb/cipher if he gets cool stuff.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Just a heads up for everyone that didn’t feel like going through the hassle: plugging in all the scavenger hunt codes gives you a miniature space pig with his own tiny pirate hat

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Does Serafen get unique cipher abilities? My mc is already part cipher so mechanically I'd rather him be pure barbarian but I could do barb/cipher if he gets cool stuff.

He’s a wild mage cipher.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

When are the idiots who live in fantasy cultures where necromancy is a real and verifiable thing going to learn to cremate the dead and spread the ash?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Harrow posted:

Gotcha.

With the Eder example I was talking about, it was the crew member with the wine barrel on the deck after the shipwreck. If I selected Eder instead of the Watcher and talked to her, I could use Eder's skills in that conversation, which let me actually help her (since my test-build Watcher didn't have the Might or the Survival to pick either option). I don't remember if I could do that in PoE1 but it was pretty cool to be able to do it there.

I don't think the party member is doing the check, but they have to be close enough to the watcher / NPC to contribute. I had a similar situation where moving Xoti closer allowed me to pass a religion check.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Is going dual wield Berserker/Devoted too crazy or will I be fine?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Harrow posted:

Two questions that don't have to do with my Watcher class indecision :v::

1. How's Eder as a Fighter/Rogue? The lack of subclasses is a downer, because it seems like Streetfighter would be an awesome addition to that, but I could see it being a fun combo anyway.

2. How's Pallegina as a tank this time around? I might go pure Rogue on Eder and just let him slice motherfuckers up with dual sabres if Pallegina can handle tankin' duty.

Pallegina as a Paladin/Fighter is borderline indestructible - she had a full 20 Deflection higher than my total Fighter Eder at the same level. I'm making Eder a Fighter/Rogue on my upcoming restart to make him into a Discount Ranger so Pallegina can be the Super Tank full time.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
In PoE 1 I played a wizard who became more and more obsessed with mind control, picking up various magic items and skills to confuse and charm the enemy. So my concept for PoE 2 is to take Wizard/Cipher. How badly am I screwing myself, mechanically? It seems like spells don't build focus? So I'll be kind of in conflict with myself in combat. I'm fine with being a little bit screwed, this isn't a PoTD run or anything.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Use Wizard self buffs then whack a guy?

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

Kith posted:

Pallegina as a Paladin/Fighter is borderline indestructible - she had a full 20 Deflection higher than my total Fighter Eder at the same level. I'm making Eder a Fighter/Rogue on my upcoming restart to make him into a Discount Ranger so Pallegina can be the Super Tank full time.

Alternatively, Pallegina as Paladin/Chanter is the ultimate swiss army knife and still indestructible. Healing, tanking, tons of AoE buffs, summoning, etc.

I've not been super impressed with Eder as a fighter/rogue so far, but I'm not quite level 7 yet and I think the 3rd power level abilities will make a big difference. I'm also slightly lacking on long duration AoE afflictions in my party right now, so he's getting the sneak attack bonus a little less often than he should be going forward.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

doingitwrong posted:

In PoE 1 I played a wizard who became more and more obsessed with mind control, picking up various magic items and skills to confuse and charm the enemy. So my concept for PoE 2 is to take Wizard/Cipher. How badly am I screwing myself, mechanically? It seems like spells don't build focus? So I'll be kind of in conflict with myself in combat. I'm fine with being a little bit screwed, this isn't a PoTD run or anything.

There are wizard spells that let you summon weapons to smack people with too. Just focus on the good non-damaging wizard spells of which there are plenty.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Speaking of that - divine weapon seems weirdly pointless, on xoti it just summons a sicle and lantern seemingly no better than what she starts with. Do these get stronger as you level up?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Ein Sexmonster posted:

There are wizard spells that let you summon weapons to smack people with too. Just focus on the good non-damaging wizard spells of which there are plenty.

Oh! Good point. Well that works out because the whole excitement for me is all the crowd control.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Heads up, you can't respec any ability choices you make at character creation.

...now I have this Crippling Strike I'm never going to use :(

**i have Whisper of Treason too :( THIS IS THE ONE MINMAX THING I COULDN'T TEST IN THE BACKER BETAAAA

****time to use these Blessings, yo

Cheston fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 9, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Multiclassing question:

Do you have to take an equal number of abilities from each class, or can you mostly stick to one class and just take a few key abilities from another?

Kith posted:

Hell yeah, that sounds awesome.

Maybe an odd question: does Pallegina's Paladin order change based on her PoE1 ending (considering there's one where she joins the Kind Wayfarers), or does she have a unique one or something?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I took Assassin but I am having a hell of a time getting stealth attacks off other than at range. Does that get better later on?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

friends, colleagues, here's a mod that had to be made

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/4

'close to board now deals no damage to you'

enjoy

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Escape is where it's at anyway.

Also, in case you're wondering, the club modal makes club hits reduce Will by 25 for the cost of 25% damage. TWENTY FIVE. I imagine the other two defense lowering modals are similar.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Where's Mokeha in Port Maje? I can't find her at the village.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Cheston posted:

**i have Whisper of Treason too :( THIS IS THE ONE MINMAX THING I COULDN'T TEST IN THE BACKER BETAAAA

Wait, what is wrong with Whisper of Treason?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

doingitwrong posted:

Wait, what is wrong with Whisper of Treason?

Nothing, I just prefer swapping it out for Dominate when I get it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cheston posted:

Heads up, you can't respec any ability choices you make at character creation.

...now I have this Crippling Strike I'm never going to use :(

****time to use these Blessings, yo

Yeah this is kinda dismaying, a few of the companions have first level choices I'd dearly like to change

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
anyway I'm level 5 in neketaka what's a good thing to do first

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Where's Mokeha in Port Maje? I can't find her at the village.

The lady for the quest? She's in the top-left of the village, up one of the ramps. I think she might also go into her house at the village at night.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Do we know how level scaling works? As in, does it increase encounter sizes or just bloat enemy stats?

divx
Aug 21, 2005

It feels like you level up way faster than in POE. I just got to Neketaka and only explored the first island youre stranded on plus stopped to kill a drake on another island and I'm already at level 6.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

divx posted:

It feels like you level up way faster than in POE. I just got to Neketaka and only explored the first island youre stranded on plus stopped to kill a drake on another island and I'm already at level 6.

The level cap is higher so that makes sense

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Vermain posted:

The lady for the quest? She's in the top-left of the village, up one of the ramps. I think she might also go into her house at the village at night.

She walks back and forth across the whole village actually. Can make her a bit of a hassle to find.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Are there restrictions on the Berath's Blessing things? For a future run I'd like to try POTD but I'd like to have access to the bonuses because I'm a wuss. POTD still gets the goodies right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

MMF Freeway posted:

The level cap is higher so that makes sense

Yeah, but "one fifth/quarter of the way through the level progression before you're even off tutorial island" is probably just a hair too fast. Like, this game is supposed to be 70 hours or something mad like that?

Before I forget: I really enjoyed the "bickering gods" intermission. Put me in mind of Sacrifice.