Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

by any chance, would any of you be able to recommend a good recorded stage production or film adaptation of Hamlet? Realised I have a fair few Shakespeare plays left to watch after Macbeth, Othello, Antony and Cleopatra, Coriolanus, Twelfth Night, Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Henry V and Measure For Measure, and Hamlet is just as good a place to go from as any. (That or a good Lear tbh.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

oliviers is really good but it's not a 1:1 adaptation if that grinds your gears

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Venomous posted:

by any chance, would any of you be able to recommend a good recorded stage production or film adaptation of Hamlet? Realised I have a fair few Shakespeare plays left to watch after Macbeth, Othello, Antony and Cleopatra, Coriolanus, Twelfth Night, Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Henry V and Measure For Measure, and Hamlet is just as good a place to go from as any. (That or a good Lear tbh.)

No(gently caress Mel Gibson), but watch Titus with with Anthony Hopkins.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Venomous posted:

generally I go for the Kenneth Branagh directed Shakespeare stuff because he gets the language and setting right. He did a version in 1996 that I feel is definitive. If you want to play with the settings a bit, the 2000 version with Ethan Hawke is also good.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

It's not Hamlet and it's not strictly an adaptation but everyone who is into Shakespeare needs to watch Orson Welles' Chimes At Midnight. Its a masterpiece.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Venomous posted:

Not of Hamlet unfortunately, but this post reminded me that everybody should check out Ian McKellan's film adaptation of Richard III, because holy poo poo it is loving great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm1kaanjd8M

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

yea ok posted:

oliviers is really good but it's not a 1:1 adaptation if that grinds your gears

tbh his Macbeth wasn’t 1:1 so I’ll take my chances

I too hate Mel Gibson, so I definitely won’t be trying his one, and good shout on Hopkins’ Titus, I’ve been meaning to watch that since I saw how they presented Aaron’s confession https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcLGJ0c-X9k

e: coconono, I loving love Branagh’s Henry V, and I was kinda reticent about trying his Hamlet b/c I’ve heard kinda mixed things about it, but I’ll give it a look now, thanks!

Venomous fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 9, 2018

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Branagh productions were always in heavy rotation in my English Lit courses so I've seen the Hamlet one a few times. I think people panned it because it had actual action sequences and poo poo.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

NienNunb posted:

It's not Hamlet and it's not strictly an adaptation but everyone who is into Shakespeare needs to watch Orson Welles' Chimes At Midnight. Its a masterpiece.

orson welles, get this.. is good

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

He's the best, I love him. F For Fake is the coolest movie in the world.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Everyone knows the best adaptation of Macbeth is Gargoyles

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Touch of Evil is great too, just to see Welles playing such a disgusting piece of poo poo. His Harry Lime in The Third Man is unbelievably great though.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

all of his fat dumb rear end characters are great. harry lime obv steals that movie but i can't get enough of fat orson

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

NienNunb posted:

Or at least watch the Kyle Kallgren video on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUOg666BZvk

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

His interviews are the best too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyTi9v9QPxE

Theres also another clip where he goes in on Woody Allen

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Ran is a very good King Lear

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Accident Underwater posted:

:hai:

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i watched high and low tonight by coincidence. hadnt seen it before.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I can't believe they finally gave you fuckers a genchat. Thanks for nothing Hulkamatt.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

My favorite King Lear was the Cannon Group one. It really was quite the watch during a particularly nasty flu.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

coconono posted:

generally I go for the Kenneth Branagh directed Shakespeare stuff because he gets the language and setting right. He did a version in 1996 that I feel is definitive. If you want to play with the settings a bit, the 2000 version with Ethan Hawke is also good.

I'd recommend the Branagh one, both because it's good and also I think it's one of the only filmed versions of the entire play (which is why it's 4 Goddamn hours long).

I hated that 2000 version. It feels like it's desperately trying to be clever but doesn't know how, leading to stupid poo poo like delivering the "to be or not to be" soliloquy in the aisles of a loving Blockbuster.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Just watch The Lion King and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead back to back. Should have you covered.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

weekly font posted:

I can't believe they finally gave you fuckers a genchat. Thanks for nothing Hulkamatt.

you are welcome

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm excited about Jordan Peele's next film, and all I know about it is the poster and some cast members

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

weekly font posted:

Didn't Hulkamatt kill the last genchat thread? I think I remember threatening to fight him on Xbox Live over it.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

weekly font posted:

I suggested a genchat thread like 5 years ago and Hulkamatt said it was the worst idea imaginable lol

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Hulkamatt was always bad

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I will fight to the death to defend this thread.

My theme song is Angel of the City from the movie Cobra.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
This thread has made me realize that I've read Hamlet multiple times, and I really like the story, but I've never seen a production or adaptation that I actually enjoyed.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
https://youtu.be/sPzJjNQaYEA?t=105

Is...is the bouncer at 1:45 Dolph Ziggler?

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Ran is probably my absolute favorite movie that I can never watch again. It’s the most depressing thing ever put onto camera, and every frame is beautifully shot.

Still mad Criterion never got the chance to release their remastered Blu-Ray.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

NuclearPotato posted:

Ran is probably my absolute favorite movie that I can never watch again. It’s the most depressing thing ever put onto camera, and every frame is beautifully shot.

Still mad Criterion never got the chance to release their remastered Blu-Ray.

Yeah it's an exhausting movie but it's great. I saw a remastered version 2 years ago when it was making rounds, the costumes are quite a sight.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

hulkamatt's 'Hands were tied" by sba who absolutely hated anything that wasn't people talking about the correct sport in the correct thread

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sba sounds like a dork

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Not of Hamlet unfortunately, but this post reminded me that everybody should check out Ian McKellan's film adaptation of Richard III, because holy poo poo it is loving great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm1kaanjd8M

That is without a doubt my favorite alt. take on a history movie ever.

This is another one of my favorites. I just love how everyone is so grimy and a little unhinged. Like the dude's the loving king and he's still dragging his cape through the mud and living in cold castle. Also, Peter O'FuckinToole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyjiIqu1-bI

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

Is this like a sweet thing or a savory thing?
It's a bit of both but it leans a little to the sweet side as it still has a bit of sugar in it and has the torched sugar on top (or else it would just be, i dunno, blue cheese pudding?)

I'm gonna make it for my mom as she declared it her 'Favorite Dessert EVER' and it was taken off the menu at my friends restaurant. So that's part of my mother's day gift :shobon:

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Obsidian should hold a coup on Bethesda and steal all their janky rpg engines and intellectual properties because they actually know how to loving write a good game
No one will ever believe me on this, and I don't blame them, but Elder Scrolls Online has a lot of good writing. Memorable characters, touching emotional moments (for a game), and some interesting twists and turns. More than once I've been handed a quest decision where I'm genuinely not sure what option to pick.

It's made by Zenimax Online as opposed to Bethesda Game Studios, so I guess that's the difference. It's another good example of a company doing better with Bethesda's properties.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

St Evan Echoes posted:

sba sounds like a dork

he smelled like those airfilters you put up in the smoking room of your house. Real weird dude.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Today i started going to a psiquiatrist for my alcohol problem. Wish me luck friends.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DoctorGonzo posted:

Today i started going to a psiquiatrist for my alcohol problem. Wish me luck friends.

Sincere best wishes, Gonzo. Let me know if there's anything I can do for ya in your recovery. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Idk where else to ask this but is there a way to turn off this gang tag or get a better one? I denounce this fake pride logo