Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

evobatman posted:

Something something getting fired after doing something to the burger flipper.

What happened with the burger flipper?

She got fired too.

You're drinking, you black out. You wake up, you're in White Castle -- working there 3 years, STILL not assistant manager. Your buddies tell you to quit, but you can't 'cause you're banging the slow girl on the fry-o-later. They say she's a little retarded, but those titties ain't retarded!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Thx m8. Bought that as an impulse buy. It's a feckin wideboy!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Jamsta posted:

Thx m8. Bought that as an impulse buy. It's a feckin wideboy!

:getin:

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Left it at work. Still made burg. Didn't melt the cheese.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

quote:

Rated 18 Not for sale to persons under the age of 18. By placing an order for this product, you declare that you are 18 years of age or over. This item must be used responsibly and appropriately.

lol what the gently caress is this

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
It's not uncommon in commonwealth countries for the sale of knives and other sharp implements to be restricted from minors.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Interesting. Makes sense I guess, but, a spatula? I live in a Commonwealth country and our Amazon does not have these restrictions.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Might be a state-by-state thing. In the ACT the sale of knives was restricted to 16 years old and above. I know they're restricted in SA too. Yet amazon.com.au doesn't have a warning.

The spatula has a sharp edge, or it's incorrectly categorized by amazon.co.uk as a knife.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Personally, I think they've gotta be right. If there's one thing Australians are known for, it's knife identification.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Ah, I see you've played knifety-spatula before.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

VERTiG0 posted:

lol what the gently caress is this

Generic arse covering in case you decide to go and shank somebody with the spatula and subsequently get caught with the spatula and the invoice from Amazon.

The Amazon logistics guy that delivers it doesn't give a solitary gently caress about how old you are.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

I'll...be...in my bunk...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I grilled some burgers tonight, first time using my homemade griddle / pizza steel.

Made smashburgers, and two tiny ones for my kids, but they refuse to even try :/

Only cheap storebought burger bread and I was lacking in condiments too, shoulda planned better. Still turned out good I think.

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery

His Divine Shadow posted:

I grilled some burgers tonight, first time using my homemade griddle / pizza steel.

Made smashburgers, and two tiny ones for my kids, but they refuse to even try :/

Only cheap storebought burger bread and I was lacking in condiments too, shoulda planned better. Still turned out good I think.

I'd eat em, but I wouldn't call them smash burgers. You need a better smasher, some more elbow grease, or both. Also, if you are cooking and flipping the burgers before you smash as it looks like from the cute little crispy circles in the second picture, you are doing it wrong. Drop, smash, flip, remove. Also, maybe it is just bad timing with taking the pictures and it dripping off the steel, but you should have a lot more grease after smashing, so maybe your steel wasn't hot enough too?

I eat baby skin fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 9, 2018

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've always done it that way, I let it sit maybe 30 seconds to a minute before I flip and smash it out.

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery

I've always done it that way, I let it sit maybe 30 seconds to a minute before I flip and smash it out.

Each to their own I guess and I am sure they were still good and the crust still looks delicious, but I just like my smash burgs to be pucks of crispy meat. The force of smash is probably more critical in that case than the lack of initial cooking. I recommend at least trying it that way next time if you haven't before, as you (or your kids) might be pleasantly surprised by the result. Aside from your method drying them out more like the guy below pointed out, you will also make the burger more likely to break up when smashing, as the already cooked part will have become more rigid and less malleable smashable.

I eat baby skin fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 9, 2018

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

That's so weird haha

For real though, it's Not Great to wait to smash that long- A minute is pretty much the whole time it should take a smashburger to cook in the first place, and you lose a ton more moisture by waiting. The goal is dropping them, smashing immediately, then not touching for a minute before scraping up and flipping to top w/ cheese and cook for another 30 seconds or so.

That steel/grill setup looks really fuckin good.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I've tried it a couple times with the bit of cook before the smash, and it helps it release better, but it's a ball of meat at that stage and not a patty. Plus, if your spatula has enough of an edge you should be able to scrape it up without the extra effort.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I stole my smash burg technique from a local 1950's style diner.

They drop the ball of meat on the grill, let it sit for maybe 30 seconds, then smash the poo poo out of it and season (also seems to help with the release). Wait a minute, scrape/flip, then add cheese if desired. They have a sweet butter roller for toasting the bread too.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I eat baby skin posted:

I'd eat em, but I wouldn't call them smash burgers. You need a better smasher, some more elbow grease, or both. Also, if you are cooking and flipping the burgers before you smash as it looks like from the cute little crispy circles in the second picture, you are doing it wrong. Drop, smash, flip, remove. Also, maybe it is just bad timing with taking the pictures and it dripping off the steel, but you should have a lot more grease after smashing, so maybe your steel wasn't hot enough too?

I'm a fan of ball, drop, flip, smash, flip. That way you have a little crispy spot in the middle to help the patty separate from the spatula after you smash.

Brawnfire posted:

I've tried it a couple times with the bit of cook before the smash, and it helps it release better, but it's a ball of meat at that stage and not a patty. Plus, if your spatula has enough of an edge you should be able to scrape it up without the extra effort.
Yeah like that.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
You really want it to stick hard and fast right away since that's what gets you the best crust imo.

Yea, you definitely need a good spatula or bench scraper to flip, but that's why smash burgers are so good!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If I don't smash fast enough after dropping the ball on the grill, that middle part will get 'stuck' and then it's easy to tear the burg.

I usually just smash them in the house on wax paper first.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I like to smash on the griddle directly to achieve something I call "the iron kiss"

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

And now for something different. A burger with gravy

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Extremely would.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Is that a steak burger?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
:stare:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mulozon Empuri posted:

Half of me says I don't want a burger I can't eat by hand. The other two halves of me say DOOOOOOOOO IT!

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

Jamsta posted:

Is that a steak burger?

It's a danish thing. Bøfsandwich. If you're ever in Denmark visit https://m.facebook.com/DKsBedsteBoefsandwich and find the best one near you.

loving delicious when done right.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mulozon Empuri posted:

It's a danish thing. Bøfsandwich. If you're ever in Denmark visit https://m.facebook.com/DKsBedsteBoefsandwich and find the best one near you.

loving delicious when done right.

Is eating a Bøfsandwich like eating Bofa?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Crossposting from the Kitchen Equipment thread.

I’m at home and don’t have access to my KitchenAid mixer. What are some good meat grinders? I found a burger recipe in a new cookbook I just got that calls for home-ground burgers using three kinds of beef.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Mulozon Empuri posted:

gently caress yes.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
What mix of beef do you use for your smashburgers? I've tried with regular ground beef, and I can't get it right. It ends up like a regular patty.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Gatts posted:

What mix of beef do you use for your smashburgers? I've tried with regular ground beef, and I can't get it right. It ends up like a regular patty.

Just ground beef, but don't get it too lean. 20% fat at the very least. 70/30 is my usual.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Crossposting from the Kitchen Equipment thread.

I’m at home and don’t have access to my KitchenAid mixer. What are some good meat grinders? I found a burger recipe in a new cookbook I just got that calls for home-ground burgers using three kinds of beef.

food processor and very chilled meat

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Fenrir posted:

Just ground beef, but don't get it too lean. 20% fat at the very least. 70/30 is my usual.

I used 80/20, maybe that's why. I was wondering if a mix of sirloin and chuck or brisket or something would work better.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Gatts posted:

I don't use anything special, just 80/20 whatever from Publix. There important thing for me was measuring my little balls of meat pre smashing because I am awful at doing 2oz or 3oz patties by hand. Measuring them to 2 oz and then a proper smash and you'll get results no matter the blend.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The recipe I found is 33.333% sirloin, 33.333% brisket, 33.333% beef short-rib.

I ate a brisket burger at a restaurant once. Tasted good and super brisket-y. The fat content was something like 75/25 and boy could you tell.

atothesquiz posted:

food processor and very chilled meat

You don’t get a proper grind in a food processor. Also I don’t have a food processor either.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Can I shake MSG on patties, or are burgers already savory saturated that it won’t change the overall taste?