Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Stairmaster posted:

You mean cricket

okay maybe really good bad at baseball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Gonna throw my hat in for Fergus also partly because of the obvious but mainly so I can make CaladBolg Torture jokes

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So a mate of mine discovered Fate and he wants to give it a go. He's mostly just watching anime instead of reading so I was about to point him towards the first series but I suddenly recalled that was totally garbage. The ubw series was much better received. Is it a good starting point though, or does it expect people to be up to speed as to what happened in route 1?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The answer is always read the VN.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mindblast posted:

So a mate of mine discovered Fate and he wants to give it a go. He's mostly just watching anime instead of reading so I was about to point him towards the first series but I suddenly recalled that was totally garbage. The ubw series was much better received. Is it a good starting point though, or does it expect people to be up to speed as to what happened in route 1?

the UBW tv series is fine, it was made to be a fairly natural lead-in without the Fate stuff and includes some scenes from that route. Though the UBW tv series also functions as a sequel to Fate/Zero in a few ways, so you could start him with that if you wanted to. Just whichever you think he'd latch onto more, since if he gets into one he's probably gonna give the other a shot.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Watching UBW as a sequel to fate/zero is kind of a bad idea since UBW is the route that relies the least on stuff established there. I'd just recommend skipping F/Z until all the heaven feels movies are out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yes but the ubw tv show includes several specific callbacks to fate/zero

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
No matter which one you start with it's gonna be messy because they are all made at least partially to reference previous adaptations/works. So just have him pick whichever fits his tastes more.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The biggest gripe I have recommending going from UBW to FZ is the animation for the fight scenes. UFOTable really ramped up the animation for the UBW fights. And you’d get this weird backlash on how “powerful” the servants and boosted Shiro are supposed to be just going off the visuals.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mindblast posted:

Honestly having started watching the original series after finishing UBW, it's a lot better, even if the animation is extremely budget 2000s. A whole lot less explaining, more levity, and if you're watching the dub generally more room to localize instead of the extremely literal treatment given to UBW by Netflix in both sub and dub.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

eat your hamburgers, saber

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Honestly having started watching the original series after finishing UBW, it's a lot better, even if the animation is extremely budget 2000s. A whole lot less explaining, more levity, and if you're watching the dub generally more room to localize instead of the extremely literal treatment given to UBW by Netflix in both sub and dub.

Good username

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Zero is all gore and dark while ubw is more lighter in tone and hope.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Been a while since I saw zero or read HF, but that sounds like it connects pretty well.

Ok thanks for the answers guys. Ubw>zero>wait for HF makes the most sense. Besides "read the vn" of course. And apocrypha after that if he still wants more I guess.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wonder if there's a hypothetical amount of merit to be had in watching the DEEN show up until it starts to wildly diverge/combine garbage and just read spoilers on the ending to at least provide the semblance of an introduction to Saber's arc, because this topic comes up way too often and there's never going to be a good answer if the participant is not willing to read the VN.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I don't think it necessary since her narrative function in Fate is largely to be proxy for Shirou's issues. She's a far more compelling character in UBW since the lack of focus on her angst ironically gives her greater freedom to act herself, and if you want a more in-depth look at what makes her tick there's Fate/Zero.

There's even the animated UBW Good End if you want to see her get a happy ending!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Mindblast posted:

Been a while since I saw zero or read HF, but that sounds like it connects pretty well.

Ok thanks for the answers guys. Ubw>zero>wait for HF makes the most sense. Besides "read the vn" of course. And apocrypha after that if he still wants more I guess.

If you want some light-hearted comedy thrown in to break up the drama, make sure to put in Carnival Phantasm as well. Even if one's knowledge of TM is lacking, most of them are pretty funny regardless.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

I don't think it necessary since her narrative function in Fate is largely to be proxy for Shirou's issues. She's a far more compelling character in UBW since the lack of focus on her angst ironically gives her greater freedom to act herself, and if you want a more in-depth look at what makes her tick there's Fate/Zero.

There's even the animated UBW Good End if you want to see her get a happy ending!

this is entirely wrong and you get to learn a poo poo ton about saber. ubw is not saber's route.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Aurora posted:

this is entirely wrong and you get to learn a poo poo ton about saber. ubw is not saber's route.

Yeah.

I'm still right.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

just because you're correct doesn't mean you're right

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yeah.

I'm still right.

you're not

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t find Saber that interesting but she hardly does or even says anything in UBW.

You could replace her with any other summon and nothing would really change.

UBW is my favorite fate story but let’s not pretend it treats Saber well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

saber fulfills her purpose in the ubw narrative and has a few good scenes, i wouldn't really describe her as treated poorly. she just isnt the focus of the story on any level.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

yeah like if you want to actually Get To Know saber at all, you play fate route. fate zero definitely does not do a whole lot of informing of her character that isn't inferred from FSN knowledge, either

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Endorph posted:

saber fulfills her purpose in the ubw narrative and has a few good scenes, i wouldn't really describe her as treated poorly. she just isnt the focus of the story on any level.

As someone who hasn’t read the visual novel I can only really judge the shows as what they are. It hints at stuff she could have done and then does nothing with it. Probably makes more sense in VN format were you can go back but as an adaptation it kind of suffers. Either go in or don’t bother

Not a huge complaint but it’s there.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Aurora posted:

fate zero definitely does not do a whole lot of informing of her character that isn't inferred from FSN knowledge, either

I think it does cast some of the things she says and does in F/SN in a new light. For example:

Fate/Stay Night posted:

"Your hair is beautiful. Seeing it get dirtied in front of me is somewhat painful."
That must have been from the bottom of her heart.
Saber's voice is the same as always. It doesn't sound like she's thinking about Ilya.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
They’ve been releasing gameplay videos for the new Extella Link Servants including their Noble Phantasms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r3I67dpCz0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCKJFuBK2wA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN6vQE9XoL4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPUftyUPebk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifqxTh0EZ7E

Drake’s moveset is silly-cool as gently caress, and I really like how they incorporated the fire-ships into Wild Hunt.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Apparently they've begun screening the Part 2 trailer?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Only just now noticing the broken class pieces, that's a nice touch.

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013
So first time entering this thread... So in other news besides Heaven Feel, I got bored as hell, and read a bullet points for Prisma Illya manga up till 3rei, then I started reading it legit, since apparently 3rei is were things at least go interesting. (And I could avoid the majority of the creeptastic elements)

Afterwards, I looked into the previous events in the manga and came to a realization.

This magical girl spinoff has gone off the rails, and it honestly kinda fun.

The best part is while the Holy Grail as a (concept) is still pivtoal to the events of Fate along with the conflcit of ideals... the war/ritual in this case technically isn't what important. Even winning the war wont solve the conflcit. For once, other than maybe Grand Order, we have a Fate storyline that use the Holy Grail War as the cataylst for the events of story, but it is not Central to the story. The Grail's are impotant, not so much the war.

But still don't get me wrong, the creepy as fanservice is pretty bad. I do recommend reading 3rei, and just read up a bullet point summary of the events prior. I still could enjoy the characters unqiue to spin-off regardless, and I'm pretty picky about that.

Oh yeah on last thing.

If Julian Ainsworth's and Miyuverse Shirou don't have a Faker (projection/ gradiention air) vs. Counterfeiter (dispalcement/ gradient Parallel) magus fight I will be loving pissed. The whole conceit of the Ainsworth's is mergeing the soul fuckery of the Einzberns, the paristical element of the Matous, and to top it off let's make their goal world salvation and their mentality and mindset of the Magus Killer.

HELL, Their magecraft is based entirely around a magecraft that like Shirou is one of the basics, has the same core weakness (a copy is always flawed and isn't perfect.) and was deemed unrealible by mages, and like Shirou, they refined it to reality breaking levels.

Hell the Holy Grail War cards were created with this magecraft, which is why installed servants aren't as powerful as summoned.

Honeatly, it would be a waste of a great concept not to have a battle between the Faker vs Counterfieter. Because seriously, the ideas of Fate/Kalied are soemtihng I would read in a main-stay Fate franhichse.

Finally... we still have no idea what Darius Ainsworth's true end goal is... but its been hinted at that he began this scheme during the Age of God's, specfially Greek gods. That in itself is loving terrifiyng in implications.

(Looks at the long as wall of text I just wrote.)Wow... I just geeked out over Fate/kalied... how much shame should I feel?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh the goofy magical girl stuff has always seemed more interesting to me than the parallel universe/grail related stuff

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I finished the last episode of Last Encore and while I do like it, after thinking about it for a bit, Nero's attraction to Hakuno is kind of weird because very little of what would have made them attractive to her in Extra is present in his Last Encore incarnation.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

New teaser for Heaven's Feel 2

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6j5twz

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I wonder how many months it will be til release.

So many things in that trailer I want to see

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Hyyype.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Hope everything gets a bluray release asap as it is the only way for me to see this one.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

HF part 1 bluray + soundtrack got released yesterday and rips are out. Comes with official english subs for those that missed it in theaters.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The saber alter scene seemed counterproductive to me.Even if everyone already knows she isn't dead you should still commit to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I'd have liked it as a post-credits scene. And without Saber Alter presented as a physical entity.