Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
This was not in response to anything. this is the entirety of the email:

quote:

Can you tell me which printer to identify in room E118? Thank you.

There is only one printer in that room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Renegret posted:

Just last month, I realized I had been using a 100mbps home router for the past three years.

I get 300mbps service

I work in networking :negative:

There's something to be said for just leaving your own poo poo alone if it works. Last thing I want to do is networking at home as well as at work.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Renegret posted:

Just last month, I realized I had been using a 100mbps home router for the past three years.

I get 300mbps service

I’ve got 200mbps service and my modem maxes out around 118.

In my defense it was a special deal from Comcast where I got 200 up from 75 for 12 months and my bill went from $83 to $50. So the increased speed is just a bonus.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Thanks Ants posted:

There's something to be said for just leaving your own poo poo alone if it works. Last thing I want to do is networking at home as well as at work.

That's pretty much it. Honestly I'd still be using it if it wasn't for my fiance constantly complaining about how slow the wifi was when she moved in. Eventually I got tired of telling her that everything was fine (while lying through my teeth because I didn't want to deal with it) and actually took a look at the router. It's not like I use wifi for anything anyway, if I'm at home I never touch my phone, my PC is wired and the TV is wired too.

Whoops, it's a 100mbps router that doesn't have dual band!

Renegret fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 9, 2018

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Renegret posted:

I get 300mbps service

I once had a very angry call with my ISP about how even though I was paying for 200mbps I was getting 80-ish max. Had an hour or so of "did you try turning it off and then on again" before they agreed to credit my account.
Turns out the cats had managed to chew at some of the cables enough that they were autonegotiating down to 100mbs and struggling even then.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ookiimarukochan posted:

I once had a very angry call with my ISP about how even though I was paying for 200mbps I was getting 80-ish max. Had an hour or so of "did you try turning it off and then on again" before they agreed to credit my account.
Turns out the cats had managed to chew at some of the cables enough that they were autonegotiating down to 100mbs and struggling even then.

lmao

I sit next to the people who take escalation calls from the call center. They straight up refuse to look at slow speed issues until the customer bypasses the router and plugs directly into the modem.

We once had a gigantic system wide slow download speed issue that got escalated to the EVP level across 8 hours of troubleshooting.

Resolution: Switch to a different speed test server. Take ours out of production because it's dying.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I once had a very angry guy tell me that he's an engineer and there's no possible way that internal house wiring could cause ADSL issues. My answer was "well I just work here but I had this very problem come up with someone else this morning so I'm not going to be able to help you until you try it."

I was particularly happy that one of our troubleshooting steps was "unplug your router(/modem), wait 20 minutes, plug it back in" because a) it often fixed things and b) you could use it on a difficult customer and they'd probably get someone else when they called back.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Needing to find something better.

I have no cloud but I must :toot:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jaded Burnout posted:

I once had a very angry guy tell me that he's an engineer and there's no possible way that internal house wiring could cause ADSL issues. My answer was "well I just work here but I had this very problem come up with someone else this morning so I'm not going to be able to help you until you try it."

Just like doctors are the worst patients. Personally, the dumber the person is I'm helping, the happier I am. The worst people are the ones who think they know what they're talking about.

I have one of those smart home wifi electrical outlet thingies so I could set my lights on a timer. One day the timer stopped working, but everything else with it continued working fine. It stayed broken for three weeks because I just couldn't figure it out, up until my fiance called me an idiot, unplugged it, and plugged it back in.

It works now.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Renegret posted:

Resolution: Switch to a different speed test server. Take ours out of production because it's dying.

Virgin have a big enough network in the UK that if you go to speedtest.net and you're on virgin, you'll automatically be pointed to an in network server which gives you maxed out speeds no matter the state of their connection to the rest of the internet. Trying to explain that yes speedtest "works fine " with their default server but the rest of the internet is capping out at 5-6mb/s for 8 hours a day is "great fun" (partly caused by Liberty deciding to route via their network centre in Belgium so a UK-UK connection goes an extra few thousand miles and dozens of extra servers)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jaded Burnout posted:

I was particularly happy that one of our troubleshooting steps was "unplug your router(/modem), wait 20 minutes, plug it back in" because a) it often fixed things and b) you could use it on a difficult customer and they'd probably get someone else when they called back.

Whoever came up with the idea behind the BT master socket back in the 80s was enlightened.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Renegret posted:

Just like doctors are the worst patients. Personally, the dumber the person is I'm helping, the happier I am. The worst people are the ones who think they know what they're talking about.

had a lady call a switch "the hard drive" yesterday

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
We have someone on our parent company's IT squad whose job is to send fake phishing email to hopefully "educate" users about the dangers of opening phishing emails. I guess this is standard practice but they do it with such frequency that I don't think I've EVER gotten a legitimate phishing email in the year and change I've worked here but I've had to create an Outlook rule just to deal with messages starting with FW: [EXTERNAL].

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010

Thom and the Heads posted:

had a lady call a switch "the hard drive" yesterday

Every computery box is a hard drive to some people.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I’ve got 200mbps service and my modem maxes out around 118.

In my defense it was a special deal from Comcast where I got 200 up from 75 for 12 months and my bill went from $83 to $50. So the increased speed is just a bonus.

My home 1Gbps service has been capped at 250Mbps for the past 2 months, but I haven't been bothered to do any troubleshooting to figure where the problem is. ISP claims it is configured correctly on their end, but that is as far as I got.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

250Mbps is quick enough that I wouldn't be that bothered about fixing it either

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Honestly I can't tell any difference between 300 mbps speed I got when I got a new router vs. the 100mbps I was getting with the old one. So I cut my service down to 200 to save a few bucks.

I would've cut it further down to 100mbps but it's only a $5/month upgrade. If you can't beat your ISP, join 'em :v:

Renegret fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 9, 2018

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

250Mbps is quick enough that I wouldn't be that bothered about fixing it either

Strangely... my upload is normal... I have 1000/500 service (fiber, yay!), but it seems to be capped at 250/500 currently. It is likely the ONT port, for the second time. Just haven't been bothered to take my laptop outside to the ONT and connect it directly to test.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Renegret posted:

Honestly I can't tell any difference between 300 mbps speed I got when I got a new router vs. the 100mbps I was getting with the old one. So I cut my service down to 200 to save a few bucks.

I miss my 90MB/sec Steam downloads.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Renegret posted:

I get 300mbps service

This only upsets me because I spent 3 months on the phone drat near every day with Comcast trying to get my "Gigabit" speed internet working. I told them it was probably a configuration issue at the local switch station.
Also wasted 8 vacation days on having a tech come out to my house and replace the same cable over and over. One dude actually looked at my modem and said "did you buy that from us?" I told him "no, and don't even begin to suggest it might be the modem, I've tried 4 modems." He turned out to be pretty cool and was genuinely curious about general networking knowledge. He even started asking questions about how to do his job when I explained that the modem signal graphs don't tell the whole story. he should also check the CTMS at the local switch point and see what he's getting for Upstream stats; ICFR, SNR and Rx -db.

When it did work (which was maybe 4 hours out of a whole day), it was only 50mbps. When they downgraded me to 300mbps it was still only coming in as ~50mbps.
I would have just said gently caress it and left it at 100mbps but I was only getting 2mbps upload, and I just spent a lot of money on a whole bunch of Ubiquiti equipment and a rack and stuff to build out a really nice home network and I'll be damned if I was going to give up at that point.

Eventually Comcast figured out that it was ~*SURPRISE*~ a misconfiguration at the local switching station. They put me on a new port and everything was magically all better.

Now I have Gig down and a BLAZING 30mbps upload speed :smug:
I'm not even going to attempt to run backup jobs from my NAS to an S3 bucket. I'm just backing everything up to a couple HDD's and mailing them to a family member.

I would have told Comcast to gently caress off and gotten a 4G hotspot instead but the wife wants to watch broadcast TV :smithcide:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Keep in mind that you're not getting your own port on a CMTS. You're sharing it with 100-500 other people. If you're the only person having an issue out of those 500 people, then it's not unexpected that their network team was telling the field service team to go gently caress themselves. Individual customer issues are very rare on a CMTS level.

Plus it's Comcast so I assume that they have gross internal miscommunication problems. I'm just spitballing but there were probably more people complaining of the same issue and no correlation was made for a long while. Especially since Grandma who just watches her daytime soaps isn't going to notice that she's not getting the right speeds.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is a 30Mbps upload even enough to service a 1000Mbps download with ACK packets?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Fun fact:

I used to check modem status / uSNR / CER / CCER on CMTSs so often that I actually developed an RSI from typing the same commands over and over again.

Someone wrote a macro for us and now I have no more pain!

Then our Dev team wrote a script that automatically runs that stuff and puts it into every ticket because it's such a god drat pain in the rear end.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Renegret posted:

I sit next to the people who take escalation calls from the call center. They straight up refuse to look at slow speed issues until the customer bypasses the router and plugs directly into the modem.
This used to be a pain in the hole for me in Xbox. Most consumer gear in the UK and Ireland is just a combo router/modem box, but we still had to ask everyone to take the imaginary step of bypassing the router and plugging straight into the modem. Then it'd turn out that they owed us money and their account was suspended :shrug:

On the consumer side:
I've been told that the house wasn't wired correctly when the ISP didn't actually service the area.
Been switched through all four pre-installed phone lines into the house and then had the front garden dug up so the lines could be replaced all because the dudes on the phone wouldn't believe me that the modem was dead
Been told that the DNS server on their end was fine even though my neighbours were having the same problem when I cracked their wifi thanks to this bullshit and SSH tunneling via a local university worked fine by people in my own company.

Somedays you get the ticket, somedays the ticket gets you.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Renegret posted:

Plus it's Comcast so I assume that they have gross internal miscommunication problems.

Your assuming they have any internal communication at all. Given my many interactions with Comcast, I can only assume they don't.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

stevewm posted:

Your assuming they have any internal communication at all. Given my many interactions with Comcast, I can only assume they don't.

Tech showed up at my house to bury my cable. I said, "sure, go for it." They immediately left.
Another tech shows up 30mins later to bury my cable. I said, "sure, go for it." They immediately left.
First tech comes back 3 hours later and asks me where my cable is buried. "What the gently caress? you just said you were here to bury it 3 hours ago! It's not buried. It's laying in my yard right there." He leaves again.
Second tech comes back and says that he can't bury the cable because it's on the wrong side of the house. Whatever the gently caress that means.
A third tech shows up, and just starts trenching around my house. I come out and ask him who he is and what he is doing.
"I'm with Comcast I'm here..." I interrupt with "let me guess you're here to bury my cable?" He loving buries it!
A fourth tech shows up after the cable is buried and says, "I'm here to fix your internet." I told him I have no loving clue what he's talking about and send him on his way.
An hour after the third tech left the second tech comes back and says they're gonna have to drill a hole in my house and run the cable inside all the way across. I say, "what cable?" and he scratches his head looking for the cable that he could swear was just there a few hours ago.

I call Comcast about the 40bajillion loving visits I've had from their techs that day to find out what the gently caress is going on.
They tell me that they have no idea what I'm talking about, there's nothing scheduled, and that I need to schedule an appointment if I need to have my cable buried. Their next appointment availability is in 3 months.

I never saw that first tech again...

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Tech showed up at my house to bury my cable. I said, "sure, go for it." They immediately left.
Another tech shows up 30mins later to bury my cable. I said, "sure, go for it." They immediately left.
First tech comes back 3 hours later and asks me where my cable is buried. "What the gently caress? you just said you were here to bury it 3 hours ago! It's not buried. It's laying in my yard right there." He leaves again.
Second tech comes back and says that he can't bury the cable because it's on the wrong side of the house. Whatever the gently caress that means.
A third tech shows up, and just starts trenching around my house. I come out and ask him who he is and what he is doing.
"I'm with Comcast I'm here..." I interrupt with "let me guess you're here to bury my cable?" He loving buries it!
A fourth tech shows up after the cable is buried and says, "I'm here to fix your internet." I told him I have no loving clue what he's talking about and send him on his way.
An hour after the third tech left the second tech comes back and says they're gonna have to drill a hole in my house and run the cable inside all the way across. I say, "what cable?" and he scratches his head looking for the cable that he could swear was just there a few hours ago.

I call Comcast about the 40bajillion loving visits I've had from their techs that day to find out what the gently caress is going on.
They tell me that they have no idea what I'm talking about, there's nothing scheduled, and that I need to schedule an appointment if I need to have my cable buried. Their next appointment availability is in 3 months.

I'm going to print out this post and frame it on my "at least we're not Comcast" wall.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Renegret posted:

I'm going to print out this post and frame it on my "at least we're not Comcast" wall.

It's beautiful.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What the actual gently caress; this has got to be some form of art.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I didn't know Comcast contracted out to Abbott and Costello

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Reminds me of that 'ghost story' of the phone tech that goes up into the attic and is never seen again. Later another phone company van shows up, one guy gets out and gets in the first tech's van, then they both drive off.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I ended up on the phone with Comcast at my parents place for about two, two and a half hours, I think in what ended up being a problem with their routing table. My parents email was inaccessible through either the webmail interface or the Microsoft mail program (the home one, not Outlook). I got passed around to a couple of different people who kept having me restart the modem/router combo unit (that was theirs) and eventually, after about an hour and a half, the call ended up getting dropped. On the fourth person I opened with "listen, I hate to be the guy saying this, but I work in IT, and this is not something on our end. As far as I can tell, I can get to everywhere on the internet except my parents' email from the computer, and can get to the same email on my phone when I'm not on the wifi, but can't when I am on the wifi." The woman on the phone got a huge thumbs up from me, took like 45 minutes to figure out, and she was extremely apologetic.

With Wave, I was having recurring internet issues, having to restart my router every couple of weeks, kept sending in tickets with the modem logs showing that the firmware updates getting pushed by the ISP were failing. Finally, the internet stopped working altogether, they sent a tech, I tried to basically stay out of the guy's way figuring he knew what was up. The dude was checking the cables, saying it looked like the signal was pretty weak, found out it was split, like, eight times in the network closet, gave me a line straight to the first split, and it still didn't fix things. So I started talking to him about the tickets, and he was like "wait, what? All they told me was that your internet wasn't working." So I pulled up the web interface for the modem, showed him what I was seeing, dude was mostly a cable guy (i.e. layer 1), and was like "well, I can totally factory reset this, but if it can't download the firmware, it's gonna brick it" (my modem, in this case, not the ISPs). He called in, talked to his people, and was like "do it." Solved the issue. It just amazed me they hadn't told the dude about everything else going on.

I am always super careful about "this is absolutely, 100% on your side of things, it's all your fault," because there's nothing worse than saying that, then finding out it's on you, but in my experience, if unplugging it and plugging it back in doesn't fix it, it's usually the ISP. That, or the wiring.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Comcast expansion frequently took the form of just outright absorbing the various little local and regional cable companies with no effort to integrate operations at the start, and the bare minimum for many years after - and of ten those companies had themselves done the same things to companies they had acquired first.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's places you can get Comcast service these days where your account is really 5 layers deep in separate layers of acquisition and handling service calls (especially when you remember a lot of that stuff is further getting run through a few layers of sub-contracting to geto the guy who shows up at the house in the "comcast" van too).

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Very Holy Grail and the Swamp Castle vibe to this story.

quote:

When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. And that one sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, and then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

fishmech posted:

Comcast expansion frequently took the form of just outright absorbing the various little local and regional cable companies with no effort to integrate operations at the start, and the bare minimum for many years after - and of ten those companies had themselves done the same things to companies they had acquired first.

To be fair, this is the industry norm. You'll be hard pressed to find an ISP that doesn't have an identical story.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Fun fact:

The first ISP was some dude who owned an electronics shop in small town in Pennsylvania. He sold a bunch of those new fangled TV thingies, but nobody could get any reception because of the local geography. Rather than take a bunch of returns, he went to the top of the highest hill, placed a radio antenna down, then ran copper down main street and into people's houses. And it worked! So other towns copied him! Then they started buying each other, combining equipment and, well, here we are, holding a giant mess caused by a lack of planning just like everything else in this country.

My company is still cleaning up messes due to shoddy workmanship left behind by previous companies three acquisitions ago. (because it's expensive so we kept putting it off until we got yelled at by the government)

Renegret fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 10, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Renegret posted:

My company is still cleaning up messes due to shoddy workmanship left behind by previous companies three acquisitions ago. (because it's expensive so we kept putting it off until we got yelled at by the government)

By doing shoddy work themselves!

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

To be fair, this is the industry norm. You'll be hard pressed to find an ISP that doesn't have an identical story.
My ISP is a new local business that’s less than a decade old and started to provide fiber to the home because the alternatives (Time Warner and Frontier) are hot garbage. :smug:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Renegret posted:

I would've cut it further down to 100mbps but it's only a $5/month upgrade. If you can't beat your ISP, join 'em :v:

stevewm posted:

Strangely... my upload is normal... I have 1000/500 service (fiber, yay!), but it seems to be capped at 250/500 currently. It is likely the ONT port, for the second time. Just haven't been bothered to take my laptop outside to the ONT and connect it directly to test.

stevewm posted:

I miss my 90MB/sec Steam downloads.

I say this with all due love and respect, but I hate you all with the unbounded fury of a thousand suns going nova. (Looks at his 3mpbs connection) :argh::barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I used to live next to City Airport in London. I had Hyperoptic Internet, 1gbps both up and downstream.

I now live out in the sticks in Scotland. 80mbps down, 20 up.

Ugh. I went from having forgotten that things actually take time to download and not caring about ever saturating the connection to... well things taking up to half an hour to download and settling bandwidth limits on servers...

Sigh.