Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

"You're not going to get a better deal elsewhere" - #1 sales strat since the dawn of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

dragon enthusiast posted:

idk if not having to deal with all the bullshit of my current job is going to offset the ~7% loss of figgies

Just how bad is this bullshit? Like, so intolerably bad that it's literally making you suicidal?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

qhat posted:

"You're not going to get a better deal elsewhere" - #1 sales strat since the dawn of time

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Fiedler posted:

Just how bad is this bullshit? Like, so intolerably bad that it's literally making you suicidal?
he said "current job" not "youre posting"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FMguru posted:

he said "current job" not "youre posting"

savage

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

got some "pair programming" on CoderPad coming up.
also got rejected from a place i accidentally hung up on.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I've got a phone interview tomorrow with head of recruitment at some joint in downtown. Glassdoor tells me they pay figures.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

I've got a phone interview tomorrow with head of recruitment at some joint in downtown. Glassdoor tells me they pay figures.

get paid, son

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaman Linavi posted:

got some "pair programming" on CoderPad coming up.

sounds like a good and cool technique

Shaman Linavi posted:

also got rejected from a place i accidentally hung up on.

poo poo happens

if they didn't want to deal with such a minor incident, welp, maybe they weren't worth working for

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

poo poo happens

if they didn't want to deal with such a minor incident, welp, maybe they weren't worth working for

I know it's a cliché to say that but like it's actually true. As an interviewer I'm pretty worried that I'm going to hire the wrong person so I want to make sure I know exactly which of the candidates is objectively the best. If they can't even bother to be thorough with you wrt hiring, then guess what, they probably weren't thorough with everyone else they actually did end up hiring.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

oh boy a start up being incubated in an established company working with node you say? and you are using gitlab?? well where do i sign?!!!!!

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Fiedler posted:

I genuinely applied for a job taking a ~20% pay cut to get out of a previous poo poo hole that was affecting my mental health.

The fuckers spent a month deciding to turn me down but in the meantime I'd applied for and eventually got a much better job and a 20% pay bump instead. My brains are much happier now. :unsmith:

I guess what I'm saying is if it's really that bad then absolutely you should put your brain ahead of your wallet.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Agreed. There are some situations that are entirely intolerable. (mlmp)

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
it definitely wasn't the existential crisis that led to me leaving my last job or anything approaching suicidal thoughts, more always coming back from work completely drained from putting out fires

anyways I got them to tack on some extra stacks, figgies are now in the future :unsmith:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

c interview s: smooth interview but wont hire based on technical chops

i know test nerves are a thing but I was really up front about like "hey you can ask questions and use google to your heart's content"

it was not a clever problem, it was something we've done tons on the job (using left joins correctly/effectively)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Lol at failing a simple problem even after Google is offered.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
thread should be renamed “interviewing and recruiting the turd” quote this if you agree

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

thread should be renamed “interviewing and recruiting the turd” quote this if you agree
stop trying to make everything about yourself

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
D.C. job basically said "you're great but we want recent experience with the problem we made for ourselves, thanks for flying out and then back the next day and all." OK fair enough. They got me lunch and I got to see D.C.

For profit job: won't even tell me my benefits info and played hardball over salary. I'm 5.5 years in, senior .NET dev, and they said 85-90. I said hell no. I asked for 105. They said that was high. 100. MEH.

NON profit job: every other Friday off, amazing benefits UP FRONT, 95K but total compensation is great.

So, how do I appropriately rescind from for profit and say don't call me back ever?

Space Whale fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 9, 2018

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Space Whale posted:

So, how do I appropriately rescind from for profit and say don't call me back ever?
call them up, say you have a few more questions about benefits, ask if the medical plan covers bofa

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Say you took a better offer from a nonprofit

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

FMguru posted:

call them up, say you have a few more questions about benefits, ask if the medical plan covers bofa

I did, they said it would be a few days maybe :stare:

WTF is BOFA?

PokeJoe posted:

Say you took a better offer from a nonprofit

I'm definitely saying "decision final do not contact me". Already blocked their #s. Gonna email, lol. Holy poo poo what a loving joke. 85K?!?!?!

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I mean I'm loving exhausted after flying two days in a loving row and taking the wrong trains in DC at least as many times - am I off base here or are they redflagging like a loving semaphore flag-person here?

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

Space Whale posted:

D.C. job basically said "you're great but we want recent experience with the problem we made for ourselves, thanks for flying out and then back the next day and all." OK fair enough. They got me lunch and I got to see D.C.

For profit job: won't even tell me my benefits info and played hardball over salary. I'm 5.5 years in, senior .NET dev, and they said 85-90. I said hell no. I asked for 105. They said that was high. 100. MEH.

NON profit job: every other Friday off, amazing benefits UP FRONT, 95K but total compensation is great.

even 105k is extremely lowball for a senior dev in D.C.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Space Whale posted:

WTF is BOFA?
bofa DEEEEZ NUTTTTZ

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

GenJoe posted:

That's lowball for Canada

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Post to invalidate forums cache

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

GenJoe posted:

ok no, hold up, I'm in Denver. I flew to DC for a job in DC that passed. Sorry.

still

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

qhat posted:

Post to invalidate forums cache

gently caress that cache

also the DC job basically can't shard a db and thinks they need dynamoDB to do it. w/e not my monkey or circus

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Space Whale posted:

gently caress that cache

also the DC job basically can't shard a db and thinks they need dynamoDB to do it. w/e not my monkey or circus

What kind of scale are they dealing with? I'd be more concerned if they just arbitrarily decided they need to horizontally partition their data because they have no idea what they're doing.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

FMguru posted:

bofa DEEEEZ NUTTTTZ

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

qhat posted:

What kind of scale are they dealing with? I'd be more concerned if they just arbitrarily decided they need to horizontally partition their data because they have no idea what they're doing.

Apparently they cannot make indexed views that basically expose a denormalized representation of all the poo poo from the MLSes and crap and make it actually run fast on one DB server with a lot of SSDs. In the interview they never mentioned sharding or running multiple DBs on the same server, one per drive, or anything really.

welp.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

quote:

Gabe,

I was given an offer that was up front about very extensive benefits from a non-profit that was also competitive with salaries for my experience level, which I will be accepting.

My decision is final, but I do thank you for your time and consideration.

Regards,

Is this fuckyou enough? Or should I make a point that trying to lowball me is loving retarded?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they can read between the lines

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Not telling benefits is a hard pass and I would tell them as such. What kind of company hides part of it's compensation from potential hires? One with bad compensation, that's who.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

they can read between the lines

Oh no doubt.

But how do I maximize the butthurt of "don't loving come out of the gate with a mid level salary when I'm senior, and I expressed explicitly that I want to find a place that I want to STAY at"?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i’d probably send a polite but firm thanks, pass because there’s nothing to be gained by burning them but that’s just me :shrug:

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

jony neuemonic posted:

i’d probably send a polite but firm thanks, pass because there’s nothing to be gained by burning them but that’s just me :shrug:

True, but what is there to gain from actually ever working with places that manage and hire that way?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the hiring manager might be at a company that won’t cheap out at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

the hiring manager might be at a company that won’t cheap out at some point

Perhaps, but wouldn't he also know if he gave me a bad offer I should, uh, not take it, because I'm not a fool, and he knows he gave me a bad deal? :confused:

Also I'm planning on getting about a thousand miles away (san diego) soon as I can. But yes, you are right.

quote:

Gabe,

I was given another offer that was very up front about benefits, from a non-profit, that was also competitive with salaries for my level of experience, so regrettably I must rescind this job offer and accept theirs. My decision is final, but I do thank you for your time and consideration.

Regards,

that ok?