Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm not aware of any generic, or specific, non-caloric sweetener allergies. Is there a particular non-caloric sweetener that causes this response? It's...extraordinarily unlikely, but have you ever been tested for phenylketonuria?

It varies by sweetener and bottling plant.

Pretty sure it's aspartame that causes it.
I haven't really tried any of the newer artificial sweetners to rule them out because I don't drink enough soda for it to matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

pile of brown posted:

He was slammed and he forgot to put it on their

On their what?! Don't leave us hanging.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Hauki posted:

I’ve gotten nauseous as gently caress from a gum with artificial sweeteners before but I don’t recall what it was. I just avoid them generally now.

https://www.ynhh.org/services/nutrition/sugar-alcohol.aspx they give you the runs

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm not aware of any generic, or specific, non-caloric sweetener allergies. Is there a particular non-caloric sweetener that causes this response? It's...extraordinarily unlikely, but have you ever been tested for phenylketonuria?

Undiagnosed PKU is less headache/nausea and more death/permanent severe brain damage as an infant. Essentially every baby in developed countries is screened for it shortly after birth.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yo, I want trying to start a derail here. I apologize for mixing up a diet and regular Coke.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Midniter posted:

Maybe pay closer attention and do your job correctly? Based on your history in this thread, you haven't really done anything to give you the benefit of the doubt...quite the opposite, in fact. Were you distracted by your attempts to "get down" with them?

lol that this is an actual loving serious post

:quite the opposite:, *strokes neckbeard and takes a shot at the worst posterinthethread*i\i]i\i[][]i]\i[]i[]][i\][\i[]\i[\i][i\]\]i\

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

A Man and his dog posted:

Bro... I give everyone the Benefit of a doubt.

I was slammed. I mixed there drinks up. MY BAD.

I don't really think it requires your loving mom to call up and complain.

I shouldn't have to be even saying this.

I was at a McDonalds once and apparently they crossed the hoses in the fountain drinks for the Diet and Regular Coke. I had to listen to a woman complain in front of everyone for five minutes because they could have killed her diabetic husband. She was lording over these 16 year olds that she could sue but wasn’t... but she might!

Yeah, people take this very seriously because there are sometimes health reasons behind the madness.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Foxfire_ posted:

Undiagnosed PKU is less headache/nausea and more death/permanent severe brain damage as an infant. Essentially every baby in developed countries is screened for it shortly after birth.

Yeah, that's why I was confused. In principle I believe those could be symptoms of minor exposure as an adult, but how on earth would you get to that point without screening or exposure?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, that's why I was confused. In principle I believe those could be symptoms of minor exposure as an adult, but how on earth would you get to that point without screening or exposure?

There are a handful of states which allow backwards dipshits to opt-out of NBS, so it’s technically possible. But rare.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

I've been in the industry for 8 years now and I had a killer interview today and I'm leaving the kitchen to move into the purchasing department at another hotel. I'm so excited to have weekends off, a constant schedule, and not to be on my feet all day. I'm psyched to develop inventory systems, teach peeps about FIFO, and plan my life more than a week out. AAAAHHHH!

Sorry I can't contribute to phenylketoneuria chat, I'm just real happy to only cook for my friends from now on.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Naelyan posted:

Need to try that poo poo while you're high on miracle berries (not actually a drug). poo poo will change your life.
I was making jasmine tea on LSD and ended up eating a whole lemon.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I was making jasmine tea on LSD and ended up eating a whole lemon.

I believe this. LSD and food get pretty awesome. last time I tripped I decided to open the nicest bottle of red wine I had on hand (not sure if that was a $100 mistake or not), and spent like an hour sitting with the girl I was with us trying to describe all the flavors we were tasting and how they changed over time (and timemeee mann what even is time)

it was a silly fun time, and I never really realized LSD and food did weird things before

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, LSD and food do some crazy poo poo to the mind.

But man at that moment the food is so so good.

Also, here's 25 blow pops.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Thumposaurus posted:

Pretty sure it's aspartame that causes it.
I haven't really tried any of the newer artificial sweetners to rule them out because I don't drink enough soda for it to matter.

Diet Pepsi became dogshit when they dropped the aspartame.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Timby posted:

Diet Pepsi became dogshit when they dropped the aspartame.

Is that why it taste so terrible now?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Good ol' coke zero is still there for your aspartame cola needs.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yup. The new sweetner is weird, too, messes with my perception of flavors something fierce. Nothing to drink with food.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Liquid Communism posted:

Yup. The new sweetner is weird, too, messes with my perception of flavors something fierce. Nothing to drink with food.

they switched to sucralose right? at least it ain't stevia, stuff makes everything taste exactly the same

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Got my first Saturday off since sometime during football season today by chance, and my favorite Mexican restaurant has $2 off ALL alcoholic beverages. Time for a kickass margarita day drunk and tender tender pork smothered in spicy green tomatillo sauce.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Cinco de Derby motherfucks let’s get this onnnnnnnnnnn.

Also my red bow tie/seersucker suit combo has been getting me some looks all morning. They ranged from surprised yuppies on Lexington to...something different as I inadvertently traversed the projects.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I find it kinda interesting that food science can make all manner of artificial flavors, but can't nail something as basic as "sweet" without it tasting like candied pennies and/or giving you the cancer. gently caress all artificial sweeteners.

My favorite food + LSD story has to be when my college buddy ordered a pizza over the phone at 1am while we were were all tripping balls. When asked what he wanted on it, he giggled "surprise me!" Pro-tip: never do this, unless you're dying to know how well pineapple and anchovies pair with bbq sauce and feta cheese and god knows what else. I took one bite, spat it out, and then was content to stare at pizza fractals.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Republicans posted:

Good ol' coke zero is still there for your aspartame cola needs.

Coke zero is sucralose, diet coke is aspartame.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Another difference is that diet coke has citric acid, and zero has sodium citrate.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

I just thought it was because lime tastes hella good

btw addicted to limes now, will just straight up lick them for that good good lime sauce

just a FYI lime juice is like anti-sunscreen and if you get it on your skin and go outside you will burn up like a vampire

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Coke zero is sucralose, diet coke is aspartame.

Says aspartame on my cans. :shrug:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
According to coke, diet coke and coke zero have the same sweetener, but coke zero has some extra weird super sweet sweetener added in too.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You thought it tasted good? Nerd.

E: also I’m back. Trulucks no longer owns me.

Secret Spoon fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 6, 2018

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
So, work was interesting this week. I was closing up, still had all the doors and windows open because it was hot as poo poo this week. Meanwhile, down the street an armed robbery is happening. Police arrive and chase the guy on foot. He runs up the alley like ten feet from where I'm standing, takes a shot at the cops, and somehow escapes. They still haven't found the guy.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Chicago I'm guessing?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Nope, just a (usually) boring small town. On the plus side, it did make me less stressed about my job performance the rest of the week.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I find it kinda interesting that food science can make all manner of artificial flavors, but can't nail something as basic as "sweet" without it tasting like candied pennies and/or giving you the cancer. gently caress all artificial sweeteners.

The challenges for industry have not risen from creating sweeteners, but from creating noncaloric sweeteners. I am unaware of any valid evidence that artificial sweeteners cause cancer. One of the biggest challenges industry has historically faced with noncaloric sweeteners is beliefs, particularly spread by industrial lobbies for ingredients in caloric sweeteners (corn and cane especially) that noncaloric sweeteners cause harm...like the idea that they cause cancer.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Secret Spoon posted:

You thought it tasted good? Nerd.

E: also I’m back. Trulucks no longer owns me.

I mean. It wasn't awful before.

Did you hear back from MS yet or do I need to poke someone?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

My favorite food + LSD story has to be when my college buddy ordered a pizza over the phone at 1am while we were were all tripping balls. When asked what he wanted on it, he giggled "surprise me!" Pro-tip: never do this, unless you're dying to know how well pineapple and anchovies pair with bbq sauce and feta cheese and god knows what else. I took one bite, spat it out, and then was content to stare at pizza fractals.
Yikes if I got a malicious surprise me I don't think I'd ever order from them again. wtf pineapples

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Yikes if I got a malicious surprise me I don't think I'd ever order from them again. wtf pineapples

Drop the anchovies and that sounds p good tbh

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yeah, pineapple and ham/bacon with bbq sauce is a Thing.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I'm not dead yet, and the manager OT has nearly paid off a quarter of my debt. If I keep this up, my financial stress will be gone! Also, how long can you go with only 4 hours of sleep on average every night? Asking for a friend.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, pineapple and ham/bacon with bbq sauce is a Thing.

Not only is it a Thing, but it hits The Spot.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
As a man who works at a pizzeria with over 40 toppings I've seen some crazy poo poo....

IVE SEEN THINGS!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I'm not dead yet, and the manager OT has nearly paid off a quarter of my debt. If I keep this up, my financial stress will be gone! Also, how long can you go with only 4 hours of sleep on average every night? Asking for a friend.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaBeard
Sep 13, 2010
Double pineapple, double anchovies is great though. That sweetness with the umami blasts, mmm yeah.

Totally not for everyone.

On LSD note, was coming down and had a PB&J. Felt like that scene in the Matrix, where my mouth just melted shut, only delicious.