Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve always figured the Prophets were the original inhabitants of Bajor millennia ago, evolved into immortal non-corporeal beings, and made the wormhole their home. They help the modern Bajorans because they feel a kinship/parental thing for them.

I’m sure there’s some bit of backstory I’ve forgotten that contradicts this though :shrug:
Given their cock-eyed relationship with time, perhaps they are instead the future Bajorans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They'd have to forget quite a bit. Keep in mind that the Prophets pre-Sisko had no loving idea what a humanoid was or the general nature of life in the outside universe; the Orbs were just probes sent out to explore the universe and investigate various different properties. They didn't even know they'd contacted any sentient lifeforms with them. The Prophets and Pah-Wraiths got more involved with Bajor and its destiny after Sisko's contact (after from their point of view, thousands of years ago by regular time)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 9, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Watched this episode with the Harvesters and holy poo poo these are the dumbest loving aliens.

At the end they are sub Pakled

Attack and destroy a federation vessel

Guy: finally it's over
Girl: let's get the other runabout
Guy: that's weird, it's gone
Girl: you know what else is weird? I'm detecting a warp signature
Guy: that's weird
Girl: is it possible that they transferred to the other runabout and escaped somehow? And set the other one to pilot by remote?
Guy: no, we watched them die!
Girl: hmm. Still, one has to wonder
Guy: nope!

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Watched this episode with the Harvesters and holy poo poo these are the dumbest loving aliens.!

I like how they were willing to risk war with the Federation to eliminate a bioweapon that from what we were shown onscreen didn’t look any worse than a particularly severe case of the flu.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have to assume as soon as Sisko makes his report, Starfleet sent over one Yamato class ship to their system to destroy every warp capable ship they have.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I have to assume as soon as Sisko makes his report, Starfleet sent over one Yamato class ship to their system to destroy every warp capable ship they have.

It's the Federation. They sent the Enterprise, Picard had a stern talk with them, and they sent a formal apology letter to DS9.

They were later wiped out by the Dominion.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I did love that Keiko saved OBrien through her familiarity with him and being unable to accept his death. He doesn't drink coffee in the afternoons, that tape is altered!

And then at the end he says "What are yo talking about? I drink coffee in the afternoon all the time!"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I did love that Keiko saved OBrien through her familiarity with him and being unable to accept his death. He doesn't drink coffee in the afternoons, that tape is altered!

And then at the end he says "What are yo talking about? I drink coffee in the afternoon all the time!"

That's such a great moment

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

8one6 posted:

It's the Federation. They sent the Enterprise, Picard had a stern talk with them, and they sent a formal apology letter to DS9.

They were later wiped out by the Dominion.

And before they appropriated their hairstyles, too! Man, I would have loved to see some Vorta rocking these:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is that lady Cheryl from Curb Your Enthusiasm? She looked really familiar the whole time.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

That was probably Keiko's best episode in the whole series.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought she was really good in Disaster

And in the Scopes Bajoran trial she was great at low key telling then-Vedek Winn to go gently caress herself.

It's off screen but I love her reaction to Vedrk Winn crashing her class was to teach a lesson about the Catholic Church murdering Copernicus the next day.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 9, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve always figured the Prophets were the original inhabitants of Bajor millennia ago, evolved into immortal non-corporeal beings, and made the wormhole their home. They help the modern Bajorans because they feel a kinship/parental thing for them.

I’m sure there’s some bit of backstory I’ve forgotten that contradicts this though :shrug:

They're actually the bajorans, but from the FUTURE. Living OUTSIDE OF TIME.
They are of bajor.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've been rewatching TNG from season 1 on Netflix and I have a question

I'm supposed to like Picard and hate Wesley, right? That's the prevailing opinion? It's not actually the opposite and Picard isn't a raging rear end in a top hat that seems like a totally different character from later seasons right?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Season 1 Picard is definitely a huge arrogant rear end in a top hat, it’s not just you.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, I think you are supposed to like all of the crew

I'm not sure it's normal to "like" Wesley, either. He's ok.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Is that lady Cheryl from Curb Your Enthusiasm? She looked really familiar the whole time.

She was played by Darleen Carr, who had a bunch of roles on TV over the years. She stopped acting in 2001, so no Curb.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Bloop posted:

I mean, I think you are supposed to like all of the crew

I'm not sure it's normal to "like" Wesley, either. He's ok.

I have no positive or negative opinions of him. He's mostly harmless in a season that's very uneven.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I thought she was really good in Disaster

And in the Scopes Bajoran trial she was great at low key telling then-Vedek Winn to go gently caress herself.

It's off screen but I love her reaction to Vedrk Winn crashing her class was to teach a lesson about the Catholic Church murdering Copernicus the next day.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fine, Galileo, and "put under house arrest".

Basically the same thing/guy

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

When the Greek Orthodox Church murdered Socrates.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Shaka, When the Greek Orthodox Church murdered Socrates.

Ftfy

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Fine, Galileo, and "put under house arrest".

Basically the same thing/guy

Galileo was guilty of being a prick.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

So-crates, his questions open!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Giordano Bruno might have been a better example.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The way Tamarian works in my head is that the actual language they use to say the phrases is the language of their unconscious, they've got words for things like "arms", "open" etc but the part of their brain that understands language is unconscious and higher reasoning requires the metaphors for everything

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Their language is the ultimate evolution of meme culture.

Wolf, his advice ill-advised.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well if nuclear weapons make you safe then every country having nuclear weapons would be the safest possible world.

Also it would have a Nuclear Pope.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wrong thread but I invite you to consider Star Trek's strong anti-nuke messages and how they support or contradict its support for the balance of power theory.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Balance of Power is a great episode, that’s not just some theory.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TheCenturion posted:

Giordano Bruno might have been a better example.

Bruno wasn't executed because of science. He was entirely over theological reasons.

Only way the analogy works would be the Kai calling them wormhole aliens instead of Prophets.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Star Trek: Bridge Crew is getting a significant update.

quote:

On May 22, Star Trek: The Next Generation is coming to the Star Trek: Bridge Crew game, and it's not only the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D that's up for grabs. According to the PlayStation Blog, the expansion will also include the Romulans, a Borg cube, androids modeled after Lt. Commander Data, and new mechanics for shield modulation and precision phaser fire.

Update, 2:37p.m. PT: Ubisoft tells CNET the expansion will also come to PC on July 21, including support for the HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Windows Mixed Reality headsets, and players using 2D monitors.  

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Welp. Time to ask Gamefly for that game back.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

bull3964 posted:

Star Trek: Bridge Crew is getting a significant update.

Apparently it will also have a new game mode that apes FTL where you're being chased by a borg cube while trying to upgrade your ship to eventually fight it. They're also adding a new ops system merged with the engineering station.

I am extremely excited for this.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

The_Doctor posted:

Balance of Power is a great episode, that’s not just some theory.

That was Balance of Terror.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

@nuclearpope is a good twitter handle

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

McNally posted:

That was Balance of Terror.

Pfff, shows what you know!

:eng101: From the Hugo and Nebula-nominated co-author of the first four Doom novels! (He wasn't nominated for those.) :eng99:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MikeJF posted:

They'd have to forget quite a bit.
You achieve elevated consciousness and live all your future in an unending instant untethered from causality and see how much you remember.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Shibawanko posted:

The way Tamarian works in my head is that the actual language they use to say the phrases is the language of their unconscious, they've got words for things like "arms", "open" etc but the part of their brain that understands language is unconscious and higher reasoning requires the metaphors for everything
I figured they had subtle body language or other indicators that made it clear to one another what they were referring to, but that wasn't enough to set up things like "the terms of interstellar relations," and was far too subtle or weird for the universal translator to figure out.

They may have also been playing it up because that was apparently the entire purpose of their mission, and "actual" Tamarians would have been more "that plate of food. Temra, with generosity." "Your mother: Warzog, the sire of thousands." etc. - but that would have been much harder to render in a dramatic episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I wonder how Dr. Soong would feel about how the holodeck seems to just randomly generate fully self aware artificial intelligences if you just ask it the right questions.