Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

No one will believe me but I used to do telephone work for a motel that still had one of these and used it. I was very surprised the first time I walked in to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/08/equifax_breach_may_2018/

quote:

Equifax reveals full horror of that monstrous cyber-heist of its servers
146 million people, 99 million addresses, 209,000 payment cards, 38,000 drivers' licenses and 3,200 passports

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

redleader posted:

how do you nerds know and care so much about the obscure workings of telephone systems

what dark path led you there

im almost 40 and steam wasnt a thing when i was 11 so we made our own fun

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

im almost 40 and steam wasnt a thing when i was 11 so we made our own fun

Pretty much same, but a little older (not wiser, however). Listening to the *chunk-kachunk* sound from the louvered vents at the switching station was magical. You were hearing calls be routed and connected via electro-mechanical ingenuity.

(Drawing in the dirt with a stick was fulfilling and entertaining and we loving liked it!)
(stop using my lawn as a shortcut, you little shits)

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 8, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mechanical switching?

Man, back in your day, y'all probably needed to get one of them warrants to violate a citizen's reasonable expectation of privacy :bahgawd:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

Mechanical switching?

Man, back in your day, y'all probably needed to get one of them warrants to violate a citizen's reasonable expectation of privacy :bahgawd:

Yeah, that station had been there forever, and GTE took forever to update it since it worked just fine serving 2,000 or so households and small businesses. GTE was also experiencing explosive growth during the 80s and 90s, so who wants to plow money back into infrastructure when there's money to be made? (that attitude held over when they rebranded as Verizon)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I grew up in a little town that was the regional switching hub for Southwestern Bell. I remember when I was a kid riding in the back of my dads truck that when we passed the "telephone building" downtown I could hear the switches clicking and whirring. It was pretty cool at the time, and hell it still is.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

old technology is cool!! you can even hack old stuff. for example you can hack a printing press by getting a job as a type setter at an old newspaper (use your time machine to get there) and then secretly putting the type for "PENUS" in one of the columns

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I think your posting got hacked

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I grew up in a little town that was the regional switching hub for Southwestern Bell. I remember when I was a kid riding in the back of my dads truck that when we passed the "telephone building" downtown I could hear the switches clicking and whirring. It was pretty cool at the time, and hell it still is.

i'm still amazed by early switching equipment like the 4a toll crossbar.

an electro-mechanical system designed in the 1940s which automatically and reliably routed calls around the us while also handling billing (recorded on paper tape) and were so large that they took up an area the size of an entire city block.

when they started designing this thing in the 1940s, transistors hadn't even been invented yet. it's like telling someone "build an automated nationwide phone system. here's some lumps of iron and a hammer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZNGxfH2ZJ8

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
i'm sure this will go great and have no unintended consequences

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-adds-support-for-javascript-functions-in-excel/ posted:

At the Build 2018 developer conference that's taking place these days in Seattle, USA, Microsoft announced support for custom JavaScript functions in Excel.

What this means is that Excel users will be able to use JavaScript code to create a custom Excel formula that will appear in Excel's default formula database.

Users will then be able to insert and call these formulas from within Excel spreadsheets, but have a JavaScript interpreter compute the spreadsheet data instead of Excel's native engine.

[...]

"Office developers have been wanting to write JavaScript custom functions for many reasons," Microsoft says, "such as: (1) Calculate math operations, like whether a number is prime. (2) Bring information from the web, like a bank account balance. (3) Stream live data, like a stock price."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

(4) literally anything js can do to gently caress you

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Arcsech posted:

quote:

. (2) Bring information from the web, like a bank account balance

lmao 'here have this loaded gun, now if you just aim it down towards your feet you're good to go! "

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
from the appel thread

NEED MORE MILK posted:

lmao new iOS beta disables the USB port if the phone hasn't been unlocked in 7 days to gently caress over the usb data extraction tools

they just need to change it to 1 day

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

from the appel thread

that seems good to me

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Potato Salad posted:

(4) literally anything js can do to gently caress you

(5) embed a bitcoin miner and a real-time update on how much money you've earned

(that last half is just "return 0")

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

from the appel thread
owns

jm3000
Jan 19, 2004

Pancake Dance Party
Nap Ghost

Lain Iwakura posted:

on and off i want to find a mechanical switch still in use somewhere in this world. i don't know where you'd still find one but not in the west at least

There’s a museum in Seattle that has a variety of electromechanical switches, if you visit, you can dial through them, see and hear them work. It’s cool to see these old switches in action.

http://www.museumofcommunications.org

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
obligatory https://makezine.com/2013/02/10/prison-door-system-built-using-only-timers-and-relays/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
maybe one way to blast that, IF they used 120v AC relays straight connected to the mains, and didn't use some sort of battery/spike isolation (unlikely), get a multi kilovolt spike on the AC rail to burn out the actuator coils. but even that would be near impossible to do
also i imagine everything fails closed

its just a rock solid setup

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Proteus Jones posted:

(stop using my lawn as a shortcut, you little shits)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desire_path

It appears that your lovely yard is the problem, friendo?

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

no microprocessors? it's a prison not a hardened nuclear command bunker

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Schadenboner posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desire_path

It appears that your lovely yard is the problem, friendo?
consider that the buddha was right about desire all along

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Raere posted:

no microprocessors? it's a prison not a hardened nuclear command bunker

the reason the article states is so they can hire rando handymen to fix it instead of having to pay someone who knows what they're doing

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

RISCy Business posted:

i finally started a twitter account for my professional/hobbyist computer touching

other than tavis, who's a good follow for infosec stuff

@troyhunt @random_walker @gossithedog @binitamshah @dinosn @x0rz

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i've been curating an attempt at a decent list for a while and it's been posted in past threads https://twitter.com/zylche/lists/security
dis is good

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 9, 2018

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Arcsech posted:

no no no no no no no gently caress NO

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dear Intel:

Hire technical writers.

-Thanks,
Humanity

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsech posted:

https://twitter.com/CharlesDardaman/status/993912675804614657

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Arcsech posted:

i honestly don't think there's anything you can do with js in excel that hasn't already been cobbled together using normal excel formulas and maybe macros or whatever other garbage from the mid-90s still exists in excel

not that it's any excuse to add more garbage from the mid-90s to it, mind you

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

javascript is the new php

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i'm not sure what that even means in this context. unless there was an effort to bring php to excel at some point in the past which i would not necessarily put past microsoft

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
now that i think about it, is there any integration between c# and excel? or the rest of office? i seem to remember that particular intersection being a minefield of COM garbage and... well pretty much that

because if js was meaningfully integrated into the office ecosystem before c# then holy lol there is no hope

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
excel and the rest of the office suite has vba, which is kind of like vbscript, but there's still a lot of COM. there's not even any good first-party powershell tools for office right now; the importexcel module is made by some guy

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
one of the features of c# 3(? i think) was designed mostly to make office interop easier. i want to say optional parameters, so you didn't need to litter your code with Type.Missing, but can't quite recall. if i remember and can be bothered, i'll look it up later

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
could somebody please explain what this means thank you https://access.redhat.com/security/vulnerabilities/pop_ss

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

anthonypants posted:

could somebody please explain what this means thank you https://access.redhat.com/security/vulnerabilities/pop_ss

An unprivileged KVM guest user could use this flaw to crash the guest or, potentially, escalate their privileges in the guest.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

lol interrupt shadows, x86 is such a trash fire

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

it looks like it isn't limited to RHEL/Linux either http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2018-8897

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
a line in a doc was 'misinterpreted' by microsoft, apple, freebsd, linux, and xen

hmmm

glad i don't read documentation so i can't make these mistakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Intel wants to provide the best computing experiences. To accomplish this, we would like your permission to collect, use and combine information to understand what categories of websites you visit, how you use your computer, and about other devices in your computing environment.

• Locked thread