Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Man I really want to start a fresh game but it got my history stuff wrong.

But man look at these stats with the +2 to all stats blessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I've spent the last 7 hours in Neketaka and I still have a few areas I haven't explored and a ton of quests to do. The game is massive.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I've also been hitting up most of the areas of Neketaka (no Old City or "very obviously dungeon" areas though) and I gotta say that my attitude of being terse and/or rude to any gods I meet seems like the right one, especially after that animancy sidequest.

I settle for a lot of [Stoic]"Say nothing." to them but I'd really like to just say "gently caress you god" any time they let me, because like all of these guys are jerks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cheesetriangles posted:

Man I really want to start a fresh game but it got my history stuff wrong.

But man look at these stats with the +2 to all stats blessing.

That's kinda crazy, I feel like +1 would be fairer

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
The companions in this game are just the weakest part all around. In terms of classes, they're all pretty bad in multiclass form except for Tekehu.

I'd say you could make Aloth decent with his options but you shouldn't really need another melee character and thus would be far better as a pure wizard.

Serafen you should either embrace the wild magic and go full Cipher/ranged or go full Barbarian as another melee, the hybrid setup just doesn't make any sense.

I haven't used Pallegina much yet and even then I took her as Crusader, so maybe it will be different with her as a Herald. Unlike the others I don't think she's hampered by going Fighter/Paladin but I'm not convinced that Fighter gets her anything but a slightly better tank capability if you want it, which could be offset by using the extra points in pure Paladin for better buffs and healing.

There is no synergy with Xoti as Monk/Priest and it just wastes power levels that would be better spent as full Priest if you don't have a custom Priest or full Monk if you already have a Priest.

If Eder is a tank, he needs full fighter because you don't get the tank Rogue subclass. If you're using him for damage then you'd get better damage out of micromanaging him as a Rogue or letting him free act as a warrior. The only benefit to multiclass him is to make use of the Rogue debuff skills with the Fighter defensives to take a hit worse than a tank but better than a pure Rogue. Maybe that is meaningful to you but just seems pointless to me and you should go full Rogue in that case.

Maia, as a Scout, gets a sublcass to Ranger which makes her a better ranged unit, and thus Rogue doesn't offer a whole lot. Assuming that subclass is there when she's pure ranger than her points are far better spent in the Ranger tree than the few useful abilities she can pull from Rogue and they share so many of the useful passives that I haven't even looked at the Rogue tree in my last couple levels with her.

Tekehu is great to multiclass because he does get special subclasses that are useful and Chanting just automatically synergizes with just about everything.

I can't speak to the effectiveness of sidekicks but Konstanten gets Skald when you multiclass him.

And aside from the class problems, the stories are all just so bland and anti-climatic. I've completed Xoti, Eder, Serafen and partway through Maia, none of them are particularly memorable or exciting, and the three I've finished are all disappointing. I'm seriously hoping that there is a second quest for them that picks up later because as is they're just terrible.

nessin fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 10, 2018

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Ya I really like what they've done with the gods so far. In PoE1 they felt like abstract concepts with little impact on the world until the last 5% of the game.

e: What I've done of the companion quests so far hasn't been amazing, but all of the banter and interjections have been excellent.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Can I gush about how loving cool Maia is?

Best new character by far.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
So I got off the first island, encountered Serafen and thought I recruited him, but he's not showing up in my party or as an available character anywhere. Might have misclicked somewhere though. Or do I have to go to the pirate place to actually pick him up first?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's kinda crazy, I feel like +1 would be fairer

Eh, they are meant to be silly new game plus bonuses.

Wouldn't be surprised if when they do add poo poo like the ultimate you cant use them.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Got facerolled a few times by a party of Xaurips with a Drake. They kept bumrushing my Thaumaturge. Managed it with some Poe1 style monster targeting confusion though. Wanna zerg my squishy? That's fine I'll just cast withdraw on myself and then pop out of that and wreck house when you aren't ready for it :colbert:.

Been using Miasma of Dullmindedness with Aloth. -10 to stats like per seems pretty huge.

e: I wonder, will it be possible to download AI scripts down the road? I've put together some for my companions but I don't like spending hours fiddling with it. But the default ones don't always quite fit what I want.

Also this overland map reminds me a lot of the NWN2 expansion Storm of Zehir.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 10, 2018

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Gotta admit, wasn't expecting Xoti to be a vaguely southern death cultist.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ProfessorCirno posted:

Gotta admit, wasn't expecting Xoti to be a vaguely southern death cultist.

Well Readceras is basically the South so it kinda makes sense.

My nice guy Eothasian isn't gonna pick this option but lol:

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 10, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If this runs like crap on our toaster laptop I'll probably buy a new laptop instead of just waiting for the PS4 version

That's how bad I want this game!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Ready! Set! Blow! posted:

So I got off the first island, encountered Serafen and thought I recruited him, but he's not showing up in my party or as an available character anywhere. Might have misclicked somewhere though. Or do I have to go to the pirate place to actually pick him up first?

This is a bug, see if you can reload an earlier save and redo the conversation. For some reason he doesn't enter the party for some people.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
While I'm chasing achievements, anyone know where these specific achievement quests start?

"Berkana's Folly"
"A Paradise of the Mind"
"Nemnok the Devourer"

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

While I'm chasing achievements, anyone know where these specific achievement quests start?

"Berkana's Folly"
"A Paradise of the Mind"
"Nemnok the Devourer"

Berkana has to do with the archmage quest, so get to doing that if you've found it.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

was someone up thread lamenting a lack of ocean folk portraits? i watercolorized some of Jason Seows's portraits that didn't seem to make it to 2 on a whim, including an ocean folk fellow: https://imgur.com/a/NoBbled

no promise on quality

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

So for the first few hours in Neketaka I didn't have any encounters when travelling between areas, but now I've had a bunch in a row. There may be a bug involving the triggers.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i like this game except where i got ambushed for doing something with no allusion id get ambushed by some dudes way stronger than i was and i had to restart like 9 times lmao

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Ready! Set! Blow! posted:

This is a bug. Reload then accept the offer for him to join immediately as soon as it is available. If you don't this can happen.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

corn in the bible posted:

I would buy DLC to make the sidekicks characters but I realize that'd be a pain in the rear end and essentially impossible :(

They did it with the PoE DLC characters, even if they’re much simpler mechanically than Deadfire’s

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Inverness posted:

This is a bug. Reload then accept the offer for him to join immediately as soon as it is available. If you don't this can happen.

It's also possible you're at max party size already. You can only have 5 at a time so if you made a hireling Serafen will still be in the party but you'll have to swap him in for one of your party members at an inn.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Is Vela bugged? I try talking to her on the ship and it just says: "The mariner salutes."

:confused: :lol:

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Fintilgin posted:

Is Vela bugged? I try talking to her on the ship and it just says: "The mariner salutes."

Congrats, you have raised the model sailor.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Anyone know what Modwyr does for the different classes once bound? I have to choose blind whether I'm binding as a paladin or a Cipher.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fintilgin posted:

Seems so yeah. She just has generic crew member interactions.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Haven't encountered many problems but i just had an issue where while exploring the oathbinders pyramid everything went black and I had to turn my computer straight off to do anything else.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Hmmm... I think I shall romance the sword.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
So I know this makes me an idiot, but I can't figure out how to move crew members into reserve so they can heal from injuries. Any help would be appreciated!

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Drag and drop, thankfully it's very simple.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Is it possible to view your history after you've imported your save?

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

PurplieNurplie posted:

Drag and drop, thankfully it's very simple.

Can it only done be done at port? I get that drag and drop moves crew around, but can't find a slot that would be reserve other than the "Known Sailors" section--and apparently that can only be done at the main port.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
You should be able to move them around within the ship interface, the reserve spots are the three squares in the bottom right corner.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

What benefits does Tekehu's shark form give him?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Good Lord that was a fuckton of Rotghasts in the Old City.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Firstborn posted:

May I get in on this? Could you do any of these?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Unique companion subclasses so far:

Pallegina's Paladin
Xoti's Monk and Priest
Teheku's Druid
Maia's Ranger

I didn't multiclass Pallegina or Teheku, and Maia's Rogue isn't anything special. Who else gets subclasses?

Also, does this Sigil of Darkness debuff ever go away goddamn.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Does anyone know of a place to buy Pyrite/materials for basic enchanting? Trying to get one last berathbux point.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Anyone try out the seer, aka Ranger/Cipher? I've been playing Monk/Cipher and while it's certainly not bad, I feel like the Cipher half honestly is just there for conversation options, and goddamn those high level monk abilities look so loving good. So I figure either a Stalker for weird melee Ranger/Cipher, or sharpshooter for proper Gun Witch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

thank you!